Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th February 2011, 05:36   #1  |  Link
OvejaNegra
ekTOMBE STUDIOS

Confused about color correction for playbak

Most of the time when i see a DVD on a TV an then on a pc monitor, i have to adjust the controls in FFDSHOW to get a comfortable gamma / saturation (and sometimes contrast).

As far as i know, the white range on the YV12/MPEG videos is 16 - 236 (not sure rigth now about the accuracy of these numbers). So the output must be scaled to proper 0-255 to get correct black and white.
But the same applys to chroma gamma?Let me explain.

Accordeing to what i have read about adjusting a chroma with vectorscopes, the maximun reccomended saturation is about the 75% of the full range (taking spacial care with the red because is the color that saturates most).

That means that i must increase the saturation a 25% during playback to get the correct colors of the video? Most of the time i increase the saturation a little because i see the videos very palid.

The common gamma for a healthy monitor on windows is 2.20 if i remember correctly.
That means that i must increase the gamma control on FFdshow to 1.20 to get the correct gamma during playback?
On windows 7 if you use the display calibration you will see that the results also apply during video playback, so i assume that the gamma correction stuff is valid for video too.

Of course i have my monitor properly calibrated and showing correct black and white, but must of the time i'm tweaking the videos during playblack so maybe theres more than just levels correction.
(before knowing about the levels correction stuff and all the 16/235 -> 0/255 thing i was thinking that the ffshow decoder was crap). Now i see that the problem is more complicated.

Thanks

Tags
color, correction, levels, playback, saturation