Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 14th February 2007, 19:35   #341  |  Link
oddball

I am using one of the later beta drivers for various reasons. CoreAVC works correctly and displays blacks as blacks with the VMR9 box ticked. If I untick it it looks like ffdshow does in YV12 mode. It looks like ffdshow needs it's own 'Fix VMR9 Color Range' option.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 20:33   #342  |  Link
clsid

It already has: levels
Old 15th February 2007, 05:30   #343  |  Link
B.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I'm having some issues with black levels in ffdshow when playing back some HD x264 content. I am using VMR9 windowless in Zoom Player 5 and find the black levels are too bright/washed out. If I use COreAVC 1.2 the blacks are OK. I have had to compensate for the black levels in ffdshow with the gamma levels down to 0.88

ffdshow tryout 896
I had the same problems on my friend computer.
It has a Rageon X1600 card.
I think it's a driver bug.

On my home GF7600GT all OK.
B.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 12:20   #344  |  Link
Syris2k4

Tried disabling all the HW acceleration?

Have a pretty beefy PC, never found that the nv/amd drivers really sorted anything out quality wise, just seemed to give issues from time to time.

I disabled them from within ATT (ATi Tray Tool, radeon2.ru)... Cant see a noticable difference between VMR9 and Haali's Render... however, on my older nV card I do see the levels are lighter in VMR9...

My config Oops, host seems to hate life... will imageshack it later

Last edited by Syris2k4; 15th February 2007 at 12:22. Reason: Damned servers :/
Syris2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 01:21   #345  |  Link
Bathrone
Curious Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
ffdshow does not take over decoding of Windows Media unless you specifically enable it yourself. I recommend to just use the Microsoft codecs.
Thanks, and clsid, let me again thank all the devs for the great software

This is what I do for WinXP - every install:

Disable LPCM which is enabled by default and overwrites the MS one
Disable MP3, MP1 and MP2 which is enabled by default and overwrites the MS one
Remove explorer.exe from the dont use ffdshow rule in both audio and video
Enable vorbis tremor if Im using Drevil's build because unlike clsid's build its not enabled by default
Enable FLAC

It seems to me it does actually overwrite LPCM, MP1, MP2 and MP3 atleast by default.

Now that I have upgraded to Vista I honestly dont know if there are other ones now installed by default that overwrite MS ones.
Bathrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 01:25   #346  |  Link
Bathrone
Curious Beta Tester

Also, on the multithreaded decoder side MPEG4-ASP and AVC arent multithreaded?
Bathrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 01:47   #347  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathrone View Post
Also, on the multithreaded decoder side MPEG4-ASP and AVC arent multithreaded?
No they are not.

Quote:
It seems to me it does actually overwrite LPCM, MP1, MP2 and MP3 atleast by default.
Yes, ffdshow takes over decoding of those formats by default, since most people prefer it over the standard Windows decoders. Overwite is the wrong word to use in this context. ffdshow simply has a higher merit that the standard decoders.
Old 16th February 2007, 02:01   #348  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Resizing --> Soft resize to 1280x1024
Out if curiosity. What should happen?
Old 16th February 2007, 02:17   #349  |  Link
Mentar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Out if curiosity. What should happen?
On most CPUs, it will slow down the playback of normal-fps anime encodes to unusable levels.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 03:26   #350  |  Link
Keepitsimple

When will we see the next stable tryouts? I see daily development but as a noob I feel very hesistant to upgrade. Right now most stuff works great. The only thing I would appreciate is better documentation what everything does.

Ps. And perhaps a little faster x264 decoding..
Keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 03:54   #351  |  Link
Dark_Angel_PT

Aside from the CCCP and ffdshow tryouts discussion, i personally think this is a great project, and i give my respect to the developers of the new fork.
However, i believe the new fork suffers some of the problems the old one had.

- Release a stable, regularly updated build.
People like to have something they feel is safe and stable. Something to act as a reference, something to compare everything else against, like "this version is faster/slower than the stable one"
It is a reality that people still keep downloading and using milan's old builds, because they are considered the stable one.

Also, it gives the project a goal, a milestone, something to plan and work for.
Currently, i feel ffdshow just keeps constantly getting new features, and the occasional bugs..., over and over.
There is a need for milestones!! Something to wait for.

When the beta1 for a stable build came up, i was excited.
This project desperately needs a bigger audience, and only a stable, well spread and announced build can provide that.
How long hasn't the ffdshow beta1 been discussed here??
When someone reaches the sourceforge page, finding the usual "CLICK TO DOWNLOAD" button is impossible. The average user expects this, and it is essential for the wide spread of this project, for testing and feedback.

There is a need for an "official build" or recommended one. Of course a stable version could provide this, but further than that...for the testing versions too.
I think it would be a good idea to reach a decision on which combination of settings and compliers provides the best results. Even if not the fastest, a good allaround compatible build for all systems.
Then, other builds for specific instructions or different compliers could be mentioned for experienced users looking for extra speed or something else.

Taking over the old project is also a good thing, although i think in respect to milan, only a warning should be made in the homepage, everything else left as is, and development should continue in ffdshow-tryouts.

-Get the website organized, and USE IT!
I still think it is a waste to use Doom9 so much to discuss ffdshow, with a perfectly good forum and frontpage (the www.ffdshow.info ).
The discussion should be redirected from here to the forum, and the URL for the new fork much more divulged and announced.I don't expect a "SpreadFfdshow" campaign like Firefox....but at least concentrate things in a single place, and spread the word!!

Gathering people in a single place to report and discuss bugs, features and stuff is more more resource-efficient than have them spread over several places.

Having the forum active and with a developer stopping by sometimes, is good too.
I for example made a feature request, and didn't get a reply. A simple "too hard to implement ATM" or "don't expect to see it soon, not a priority" would have made me happy, as i would at least known what to expect.

The resources are there, just use them.

- Start Documentation
Make ffdshow more "for everyone".
Getting a stable version out, or a reference build would be a great step.
Concentrating efforts in one place, and make it know to the public....even better!
But, ffdshow has so many options it is impossible to just know what they all do by playing with them.
To start a wiki of some sorts, to slowly start to explain the workings of ffdshow would be a HUGE step.
An offline help file is good too, and i have heard something about that around here.

These are just suggestions and thoughts of a longtime ffdshow user, very grateful for everyones effort in making this software what it is
Dark_Angel_PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 10:36   #352  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitsimple View Post
When will we see the next stable tryouts? I see daily development but as a noob I feel very hesistant to upgrade. Right now most stuff works great. The only thing I would appreciate is better documentation what everything does.

Ps. And perhaps a little faster x264 decoding..
It's fair statement. We have a lot to do before beta2. Please wait one or two months at least.
Old 16th February 2007, 10:48   #353  |  Link
ExtraEye

Is X264 encoding speed up to you? I thought that actually depended on the FFMPEG guys...
Old 16th February 2007, 10:50   #354  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel_PT View Post
Aside from the CCCP and ffdshow tryouts discussion, i personally think this is a great project, and i give my respect to the developers of the new fork.
However, i believe the new fork suffers some of the problems the old one had.

- Release a stable, regularly updated build.
-Get the website organized, and USE IT!
- Start Documentation
As for stable release, we can't do so often. Because ffdshow is a huge project, testing it is very hard. We needed long time to test beta1. I think 4 times a year is the max.
As for take over, in respect to milan, I would like to continue on the tryouts.

As for the website, I agree with you. There should be more active, I hope. Especially for feature requests, it will be buried in, if they are posted here. And sorry for not replying yet.

Documentation is a big target. I completely agree with you. I've just begun but have no time to update. It is greatly appreciated if anyone write a single page for it. If one don't have skill in html, please post a simple text.
Old 16th February 2007, 10:52   #355  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
I see daily development but as a noob I feel very hesistant to upgrade.
There's no need to be "hesitant" using the latest build. Just try it!
The devs make - mostly - small incremental changes in each build and if they screw things up, they fix em in a matter of minutes.
Quote:
When will we see the next stable tryouts?
Good question! Maybe the devs could shed some light on this one.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 10:52   #356  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

ffdshow

Quote:
I thought that actually depended on the FFMPEG guys.
True.Please ask ffmpeg developers to add multithreaded h264 decoding support.ffmpeg,mplayer and ffdshow can't handle h264 evobs.Tested with AMD X2.
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 11:04   #357  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

Just looking at your first post:
ffdshow raw filter doesn't work in ZoomPlayer. (reported by midiboy)
This is a ZP 'feature', called smartplay. It seems to remove any raw processing filters, and also includes a blacklist where you can add evil filters (morgan, antifreeze, et al). Disabling it lets everything work as normal.

re: CCCP doing bug reports and helping code. No can do. We test our own version, which means bug reports would simply become more work for us, and we are mostly a bunch of patch monkeys, not Real Coders, so we can't help with dev .

re: documentation. I'd be happy to write some of the ffdshow documentation, where does it belong? I've written a fair amount of the megui documentation, so I know what I'm getting in to.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 11:07   #358  |  Link
Hans Ohlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil_xxl View Post
True.Please ask ffmpeg developers to add multithreaded h264 decoding support.ffmpeg,mplayer and ffdshow can't handle h264 evobs.Tested with AMD X2.
add paff decoding to the list. i 'dared' to report a bug/crash to the ffmpeg list and ask later if it has been confirmed and if it will be fixed... do not ask me what i got into doing so
Hans Ohlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 11:14   #359  |  Link
ExtraEye

"It is greatly appreciated if anyone write a single page for it. If one don't have skill in html, please post a simple text."
Post a simple text where?
Old 16th February 2007, 11:16   #360  |  Link
Yong

can anyone comfirm this?
ffdshow.ax crash if noise filter+SSE2 is enabled.
im using P4 2.4Ghz.

tested with clsdi build, no crash.
i was compiled ffdshow with SSE=1 SSE2=1 flags...

Last edited by Yong; 16th February 2007 at 11:54.
Yong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl