Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th December 2002, 03:44   #1  |  Link
Roveer

Would a progressive DVD Player make burned DVD's look better?

This may be a stupid question but would a progressive scan DVD player make a burned DVD (say from a Pioneer A03), look any better? This is of course assuming you can get a progressive player to play it at all.

I've about filled my sony 300 disk jukebox and I've noticed they have a new version that looks exactly the same except it's progressive. Just wondering if I should even consider it, or stick with the non progressive version.

Roveer
Roveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2002, 05:45   #2  |  Link
dan

Well, if you mean 'would a progressive scan player make burned DVD's look better than a regular DVD player would make them look?' Then, yes, but not because they are DVD-R's [or +R's] per se...pressed DVDs would also look better...on the right TV.

Throw "progessive scan" into google and I'm sure you'll find information about it ranging from painfully technical to painfully simplified. But, to sum up all the data and skip some points about it, the moral of the story is you need a progressive scan compatible TV [meaning most, if not all, HDTV's] to get the benefit. I don't mean to sound rude by these previous comments or anything, it's just that I'm sure the resources on the internet could explain it better than I could.

This is the "feeling lucky?" page I got in Google...fairly technical, and even brings in the concept of 3:2 pulldown..... http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

If you mean 'would a progressive scan player playburned DVDs better than a non-progressive scan player, then that gets a resounding "it depends." If the movie is burned on crap media and skips around and is blocky, you're stuck with it. Maybe a newer player would play it better, but it's anyone's guess. An argument could be formed as such [though it's not entirely "how it really is"...]: progressive scan DVD players are newer technology [at least, newer to consumer hands], and therefore have a higher chance of having a newer pick-up system that might better handle light bounced off a DVD-R. But, because the progressive scan functionality isn't handled within the pick-up circuitry, a fancy new progressive scan player probably has the same pick-up as the regular [and cheaper] models of the same company.

I guess your question was more about the first paragraph...so, in short, with an appropriate TV, a progressive scan player would look better than a normal player.

If your question has to do with the player physically reading the disc better, I'd recommend taking a couple DVD-R's to whichever electronics store you prefer, and try it in the newer models that are on display. Odds are that the jukebox has the same pick-up circuitry as the "regular" models. For what it's worth, if the jukebox is part of the professional line, it probably uses a different pick-up.

If you have any more questions or you don't understand any of this [I mean no offense, I just don't know how experienced with these things you are.] just ask...

Thanks,
Dan
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2002, 16:58   #3  |  Link
Roveer

You summed it up pretty well. I guess, now that I think about it, It really was a poorly framed question. I don't take any offence to your response. I didn't take the time to think it through before posting.

Your suggestion about taking samples to the store to try before you buy is a good one. I did this on the Kenwood Soverign players and they did NOT play the DVD's. It was a shame because those are beautiful players. The sony CX860 has played just about everything I've burned with no problems. Since it's almost full, I was wondering about another 860 or possibly the newer progressive scan version.

Has anyone had luck playing DVD-R's on Progressive Scan players?

Roveer
Roveer is offline   Reply With Quote