Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 26th December 2001, 16:36   #1  |  Link
Toon_Junkie

Album ID error with VCDxBuild

Hi,

I'm getting an error when creating my bin/cue from the XML file.
Quote:
string 'Prince of Egypt' fails d-character constraint (pos = 1)
I thought that only the volume ID had the d-character constraints. Is this true or not?

I'm using vcdxbuild (GNU VCDImager) 0.7.12pre1, but it also seemed to do it for 7.11.
Old 26th December 2001, 19:33   #2  |  Link
mrbass

I never put in CD Label (shows name of cd in computer) or Movie Title (shows only in xml) ...to me it's one more thing to remember about. I only do the Title Picture. Not sure why it failed though, spaces perhaps..that's my only guess.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2001, 20:02   #3  |  Link
Toon_Junkie

hey thanks,

As far as I know the album ID is for multi disc STB. This can auto-advance to the next CD in those units and that's what I'm after.

Seeing as there is no mention of a character constraint on the album ID (according to the VCDImage docs), I thought it may be an oversite or a bug in the program.

It will still build the bin/cue fine, but I'm not sure if it is adding in any album name or not due to that error.

It happened on one that I built using DVD2SVCD as well, but the log file didn't mention it, so I thought I should post to make sure it's not anything that should be worried about or not.

Still curious to know.

Last edited by Toon_Junkie; 26th December 2001 at 20:04.
Toon_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2001, 01:00   #4  |  Link
mrbass

I wouldn't know...but if you look at the XML file doesn't it near the top have something like disc1, disc2, etc.....DDogg was asking feedback on multi-disc dvd players to see what was required to have it auto-change. Not sure if that thread came to a consensus or not.
Old 27th December 2001, 01:55   #5  |  Link
Toon_Junkie

Ya it does. According to the docs it uses the album ID as well.

I posted this over at the VCDImager forum and will post back when I find out.

Unless someone else know as well!

Cheers
Old 29th December 2001, 22:11   #6  |  Link
Toon_Junkie

This is a copy of my post over at the VCDImager forum

OK,

I did a little testing. Using versions, 7.12Pre, 7.9 and 7.11 I was able to build a 16 character album ID (Upper, lower and a space) without this warning at the begining of the build. Anything above 16 characters would generate this warning.
Quote:
++ WARN: Album ID too long, will be truncated
--DEBUG: changed album id to `0123456789012345'
But then later, after the image was scanned is where you would get a d-character warning if you did not follow the d-character constraints (notice the space).
Quote:
++ WARN: generated image (356294 sectors [79:10.44]) may not fit on 74min CDRs (333000 sectors)
++ WARN: string '0123456789 12345' fails d-character constraint (pos = 10)
I ran these from the command line and with the tools in VCDEasy, and TSCV.

So I guess would could sum up with...
-16 characters max
-must be d-characters
Old 30th December 2001, 06:47   #7  |  Link
mrbass

CD Label
<volume-id>
Volume label of the cd-rom. Content restricted to up to 32 d-characters. See Section
B.1 [ISO646 d-Characters]. This is label usually shows up on computer systems as volume label.

so it's 16 characters rather than 32....vcdimager manual is incorrect. I'll have to remember to change this to reflect this in the references. thanks schultz for uploading the new ones today.
Old 30th December 2001, 16:58   #8  |  Link
Toon_Junkie

hey there,

well I figured this would happen. Don't get confused. I did my testing on the Album-ID, not the Volume-ID.

So I just did a quick little test on the Volume-id. I was able to enter in 32 characters and it would build without a problem. Anything over that would give you issues.
Quote:
++ WARN: Volume label too long, will be truncated
--DEBUG: changed volume label to `01234567890123456789012345678901'
and it would not allow anything outside of d-character constraints (note the space again)
Quote:
++ WARN: string '0123456789 123456789012345678901' fails d-character constraint(pos = 10)
Interestingly enough, VCDEasy would only allow me to enter a 20 character Volume-id. TSCV would only allow me to enter a 31 character Volume-id. So both programs stop you from entering an invalid Volume-ID.

So... to sum up again

Volume-id (Volume label of the CD-ROM. Content restricted to upto 32 d-characters. This is label usually shows up on computer systems as volume label.)
-32 characters max
-must be d-characters

Album-id (Name of the album which the discs belongs to. This id is used in conjunction with other elements to decide whether a disc is the next volume of the currently played one.)
-16 characters max
-must be d-characters
Old 31st December 2001, 01:02   #9  |  Link
mrbass

thanks I verbatimed it pretty much in the newbie faq tips sections. Thanks a bunch Toon_Junkie
sweet ..just noticed this in the 1.0.5 build 4 changelog
- Possible bug: Now both the "CD Label" and "Movie Title" will
only accept A..Z, 0..9 and _

does it only allow 32 and 16 characters max to be input too?

looks like DVD2SVCD has made it foolproof now...sweet!

Last edited by mrbass; 31st December 2001 at 01:08.
Old 31st December 2001, 23:46   #10  |  Link
mrbass

so the new 1.0.5 build 4 both CD Label and Movie Title accept up to 32 d-characters. Shouldn't Movie Title be changed to only allow 16 characters max?