Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 7th December 2009, 08:16   #241  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@tetsuo55

Hi!

Try reducing the "Minimium filesize" to 2 seconds...
even with 2s and updating to the new version i stil get the same error
Old 8th December 2009, 13:00   #242  |  Link
frank
Banned

Failure with tsMuxeR backups --SOLVED

MakeMKV 1.4.9
doesn't work for BDs saved by tsMuxeR on DVD!!
Media is properly opened but when you press the Button
"Make MKV" nothing is copied!!

Code:
Title #0 was added (35 cell(s), 2:25:51)
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory H:/BD_HP1
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Using direct disc access mode
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
File 00000.mpls was added as title #0
Failed to save title 0 to file H:/BD_HP1/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

EDIT: It was a wrong muxed stream.

Last edited by frank; 10th December 2009 at 18:49.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 21:26   #243  |  Link
setarip_old

@frank

Hi!

1) Is this the only attempt you've made at using MakeMKV to create an MKV file from a tsMuxeR-created BD-on-DVD disc?

2) I've read that tsMuxeR does NOT restrict its BluRay creating only to fully BluRay-compatible input files. What was the nature of the original source material from which you created this BD-on-DVD disc?

3) Was the BD-on-DVD disc formatted as UDF 2.50?

4) Does this disc play properly?

5) Does the following have anything to do with this specific disc? I ask because I've never seen any reference to "cells" when MakeMKV is processing a BluRay:
Quote:
Title #0 was added (35 cell(s), 2:25:51)
0 titles saved, 1 failed
6) I just loaded a BluRay-compliant .M2TS file into tsMuxeR, set it to "BluRay", processed it and then burned the resultant BluRay "package" to a DVD-5. I then used MakeMKV to successfully convert it to an .MKV file.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 18:46   #244  |  Link
frank
Banned

Many thanks, setarip_old.
Sorry, it was the wrong listing. This is the right one:
Code:
MakeMKV v1.4.9 beta win(x86-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/temp
Failed to save title 0 to file D:/temp/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Now I know, the error comes from an old version of tsMuxeR, and the muxed AVC stream has a bug (b-pyramid, and stuttering play). A new remuxed MKV with mkvMerge GUI plays fine.
My other BD-9s saved by tsMuxeR work fine with makeMKV.

Last edited by frank; 10th December 2009 at 18:57.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 19:39   #245  |  Link
setarip_old

@frank
Quote:
Many thanks, setarip_old.
Glad to hear of the simple resolution! As always, it's my pleasure - especially when more often than not, what may appear to be "leading" questions that I ask (As I've done since the era of BBSs and 75 Baud acoustic couplers - and which are intended to both narrow the list of possible causes of problems and possibly enhance the thought processes of the O.P.s) simply lead to resolutions of posters' problems;>}
Old 4th January 2010, 11:03   #246  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Updated to the new 1.4.10

I will list all the files that dont work in this post, debug logging is enabled:

Corpse Bride BD (decrypted)
Code:
MakeMKV v1.4.10 beta win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\HTPC/MakeMKV_log.txt
The program can't find any usable optical drives.
Opening files on harddrive at F:/MoviesArchief/Corpse Bride (2005)/
Title #00015.mpls has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 115 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00004.m2ts was added as title #1
File 00005.m2ts was added as title #2
File 00006.m2ts was added as title #3
File 00007.m2ts was added as title #4
File 00008.m2ts was added as title #5
File 00009.m2ts was added as title #6
File 00010.m2ts was added as title #7
File 00011.m2ts was added as title #8
Title #00012.m2ts has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00013.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00014.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00015.m2ts has length of 23 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00016.m2ts has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Users/HTPC/Desktop
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
DEBUG: Code 0 at gVZtj^ti4tpvbU@C^I$t:213131134
DEBUG: Code 0 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213130697
DEBUG: Code 6332178 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Users/HTPC/Desktop/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
The Dark Crystal Superbit DVD
Code:
Opening files on harddrive at F:/MoviesArchief/The Dark Crystal (1982)/VIDEO_TS/
Calculated BUP offset does not match one in IFO header.
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 1 : 30703 != 30752
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 2 : 2770865 != 2771040
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 3 : 2783019 != 2783264
Complex multiplex encountered - 30 cells and 11120 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #0 was added (30 cell(s), 1:29:02)
Title #1 has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
DEBUG: Code 2066 at OJVo;q@o-PM~T-bNyNu:121262785
DEBUG: Code 254049 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Users/HTPC/Desktop/t00_The_Dark_Crystal_(Superbit).mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Van Hellsing HDDVD (decrypted)
Code:
DEBUG: Code 0 at eCMe&x=H;Rnml:213130444
DEBUG: Code 0 at 04YNpkm8de{)BF"4W":213129685
DEBUG: Code 0 at 3>s&rPt{cvD3T:213129961
Failed to open disc
Into the blue 2: The reef DVD
Code:
Opening files on harddrive at E:/Movies/Into the Blue 2 The Reef (2009)/VIDEO_TS/
Cell 21 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #0 was added (20 cell(s), 1:31:31)
Title #1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 62 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 64 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #10 was added (2 cell(s), 0:11:42)
Title #11 was added (2 cell(s), 0:06:42)
Title #12 has length of 100 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #13 has length of 51 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #14 has length of 64 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
DEBUG: Code 2042 at OJVo;q@o-PM~T-bNyNu:121262785
DEBUG: Code 31222 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
0 titles saved, 1 failed
The Thaw DVD
Code:
Opening files on harddrive at E:/Movies/The Thaw (2009)/
Title #0 has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #1 has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 22 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cell 17 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #3 was added (16 cell(s), 1:33:52)
Title #4 has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cell 4 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #5 was added (3 cell(s), 0:03:20)
Title #6 has length of 63 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 111 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cell 2 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #8 was added (1 cell(s), 0:13:25)
Cell 5 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #9 was added (4 cell(s), 0:02:52)
DEBUG: Code 2042 at OJVo;q@o-PM~T-bNyNu:121262785
DEBUG: Code 0 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:121262164
DEBUG: Code 424 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
0 titles saved, 1 failed
The Scorpion King HDDVD (decrypted)
Code:
VC-1 video stream without TFCNTR information is not supported, sorry. Few HD-DVDs use it anyway.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #0 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
VC-1 video stream without TFCNTR information is not supported, sorry. Few HD-DVDs use it anyway.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #1 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #2 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #3 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #4 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #5 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to open disc

Last edited by tetsuo55; 4th January 2010 at 11:06.
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 18:32   #247  |  Link
setarip_old

@tetsuo55

Hi!

For a fast(er) response, I'd suggest you re-post these problems at the MakeMKV Forum at:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/

Old 4th January 2010, 22:08   #248  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
@tetsuo55

Hi!

For a fast(er) response, I'd suggest you re-post these problems at the MakeMKV Forum at:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/

i dont have an account there? do you?
Old 4th January 2010, 22:18   #249  |  Link
setarip_old

@tetsuo55
Quote:
i dont have an account there?
It takes about 2 minutes to become a member (No 5 day waiting period ;>})

Last edited by setarip_old; 4th January 2010 at 22:26.
Old 19th January 2010, 04:36   #250  |  Link
JustinChase

I have used this great program for several rips and it seems to have worked great, except for subtitles. I've spent the last several days reading everything I could find, but I haven't found anything resembling a definitive answer, which makes me think there is not one.

The resultant MKV files have the subtitles I have chosen, but none of them are the forced subs (I understand this is on the "soon" list), but the subs it does rip are not playable in any player or combination of filters I can find.

So, what do I have to do to get subtitles to play from the rips this great program makes/saves. They are saved in the PGS format, and I understand they are simply copied, untouched, from the disc, which makes sense. But if no one can read/play/use these subtitles, what is the point of having them in this format?

It seems I will need to strip them out of the MKV , convert them to either .sub or .srt files then mux them back in. I can live with doing this if necessary, but I can't figure out hos to get them out of the MKV in a way that lets me convert them. BDSup2Sub cannot read from the MKV file, so how do I get them into this program to convert them?

Most of what sounds like it will work for me states that anydvd is a requirement, but I would rather not pay for that if possible. I see that makeMKV now has the option to copy the disc to my hard drive, but I don't believe it strips the copy protection in this process, so the guides still won't work on this "disc".

Better yet, is there ANY other way to just use them as they are in the MKV file and not convert them at all?

I hope this is not a stupid question, but I have read so much that it has all jumbled together and any further reading has not cleared anything up in my head.

I have nearly every program mentioned downloaded, and many installed, but nothing has given me subtitles on the Blu-ray rips. the DVD rips work great.

My goal is to get everything converted into MKV files, install the minimum of codecs and filters and simplify my setup.

any help will be very much appreciated.
JustinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 05:14   #251  |  Link
setarip_old

@JustinChase

Hi!

The following is from a post by "Mike Chen" at the MakeMKV Forum:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=808
Old 19th January 2010, 07:06   #252  |  Link
JustinChase

thanks.

I saw that post, and downloaded the program, but couldn't get the subtitles out. I ran mkvinfo and mvkmerge (the only 2 programs shown in the start menu/programs list), but neither one seemed to get me the subtitles in a way i could use.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but my brain kinda hurts from all this, so I gave up and asked for help

If you could let me know, with a bit more detail/specifics how to proceed with the mkv file that was created, I would appreciate it.

Also, since makemkv is not currently getting/ripping/saving the forced subtitles, how might i get them located and muxed back into the mkv?

Also, can anyone confirm that there is no magic bullet here, that I'm not just missing the "right" codec or filter or player or something that will handle/read the subs as they currently exist?

Is there any way to use the dll from the PowerDVD v7 software that came with my drive to handle this; without having to have the entire program installed? Will it recognize/play a mkv file? I've not yet tried.
Old 19th January 2010, 08:00   #253  |  Link
setarip_old

@Justin Chase

You're a member at the MakeMKV Forum. Therefore, I'd suggest you direct these questions to "Mike Chen" at that forum.

(Sounds like you've somehow overlooked installing the "MKVExtract" utility)
Old 20th January 2010, 00:59   #254  |  Link
JustinChase

Quote:
@Justin Chase

You're a member at the MakeMKV Forum. Therefore, I'd suggest you direct these questions to "Mike Chen" at that forum.

(Sounds like you've somehow overlooked installing the "MKVExtract" utility)
I am, I have, and I thought it was in the mkvtoolnix tools, but I guess not. I have just found it and will try it soon (just got home from work).

Thanks for the help with this.

My other questions still stand, however. Is there any other/better/faster/easier way to get subtitles to work from the results of makeMKV?

Is this the best/fastest/easiest/cleanest way to get subtitles playing in my directshow capable player (J River Media Center)?

Is it possible to just get the pgs subs working in anything, other than PowerDVD, or similar? I very much like JRMC, for many other reasons, and would prefer/need to stick with it. It is a quite capable player, and seems to play nice with directshow and settings, so if there is a filter or something that I can just install to get the pgs subs working, that would obviously be ideal? (I'm assuming if there were, I would have found it in my research, but it never hurts to ask)

And finally, what about forced subs. I understand they will be implemented soon, but what about titles already ripped, is there a way to add forced subs for those, or will they need re-ripped in the upcoming version?

Thanks again for reading and any help
Old 20th January 2010, 01:56   #255  |  Link
setarip_old

@Justin Chase

If you were addressing me with your most recent post, I'll simply reiterate:

If you were not addressing me, my apologies. Perhaps another member f the Doom9 Forums can provide you with specific answers...
Old 20th January 2010, 04:12   #256  |  Link
JustinChase

Quote:
@Justin Chase

If you were addressing me with your most recent post, I'll simply reiterate:

If you were not addressing me, my apologies. Perhaps another member f the Doom9 Forums can provide you with specific answers...
I do appreciate your help, and I will also reiterate my answer to the first time you suggested this.

I am (a member of the makemkv forums), I have (made a post about it there - it's here, and you replied to it ... http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewto...t=315&start=15).

I understand you probably didn't realize it was me you posted after since you were answering someone elses question.

However, I didn't get any responses to my questions there, nor here, just your suggestions that I ask somewhere else.

I know that the folks who are experienced with this process and these tools get tired of answering dumb newbie questions, and I don't blame them, nor do I expect anyone to answer mine, I just figure that someone might come along and read this and have some input for me. I'm sure many people have had troubles with getting subtitles to work at some point, but none of the posts or guides or suggestions or blogs or anything really gave me any concrete answers to my specific questions. lots and lots of information, but so far I haven't found a definitive answer if there is a way to do this with the right codec, or use a pdvd codec in a directshow player, or that I'm just not using the right codec, or that it's just not possible to playback pgs subtitles wrapped in an mkv container.

I will keep trying things and reading and learning, and appreciate any more suggestions, every bit helps
Old 20th January 2010, 05:19   #257  |  Link
setarip_old

@JustinChase

I've redirected you to ask your question specifically of "Mike Chen" because he's the author/publisher of the program as well as the administrator of the MakeMKV Forum - and there's nothing better than getting the answer from the guy who wrote and/or published the program. Although he's sometimes a bit slow in responding, he eventually does so...
Old 20th January 2010, 06:57   #258  |  Link
JustinChase

it seems that "Mike Chen" is following up on many/most posts in his forums, and I specifically quoted one of his replies in my post on his site. I'm not sure what else I need to do to get his attention, short of starting a new post, which seemed unnecessary as it is already being discussed in the post to which I replied.

With that being said, I appreciate that "Mike Chen" is a very knowledgeable person about this, and is obviously someone who's input I would very much like to have; but I don't think he is the ONLY person who could have input into these questions.

They are not necessarily related to his program, other than it was his program that extracted the streams and saved them in the mkv. Obviously if he could extract and/or save them in a more "usable" format that would be great, but that is/was not my question.

So, once again, the questions are...

Is there any other/better/faster/easier way to get subtitles to easily work from the results of makeMKV generated mkv files?

Is converting the subs to sub or srt the best/fastest/easiest/cleanest way to get subtitles playing in my directshow capable player (J River Media Center)?

Is it possible to just get the pgs subs working in anything, as they are, other than PowerDVD, or similar? I very much like JRMC, for many other reasons, and would prefer/need to stick with it. It is a quite capable player, and seems to play nice with directshow and settings, so if there is a filter or codec or splitter or something that I can just install to get the pgs subs working, that would obviously be ideal? (I'm assuming if there were, I would have found it in my research, but it never hurts to ask)

And finally, what about forced subs? I understand they will be implemented soon, but what about titles already ripped, is there a way to add forced subs to these existing files, or will they need re-ripped in the upcoming version?

Again, these are not questions that must be answered by the author of the program that created them, they are questions for the community at large about if and how it's possible to play the pgs subtitles as they exist currently.

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated, and another suggestion to ask "Mike Chen" these questions is unnecessary.

thanks again.
Old 20th January 2010, 09:27   #259  |  Link
mrbass

To get those you take those .sups ripped from the mkv (ripped bluray from makemkv) by using mkvextract which is included in the newest released version 3.1.0 released Jan 19th, 2010 of mkvtoolnix.

about 50MB each...since they're image PGS format.

So then use on windows Optical Character Recognition to convert them to text stream SRT format using SubRip. In SubRip just play with the parameters till you get it ok then hit spacebar after each correction you make. It's gets smarter as you go so it doesn't take too long once you adjust to OCR'ing them quickly.

Then mux them in your encode with Handbrake adding external SRT subs or do your encode then anytime later remux them in with mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge).

To address your question about forced subs yes they can be added later by remuxing the mkv. Basically in Handbrake or in mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) you just set the Force flag to enable them. We just need to wait for makemkv to properly recognize them to properly extract them like you mentioned earlier.
Old 24th January 2010, 04:31   #260  |  Link
JustinChase

I downloaded the newest mvktoolnix - v3.1, and it ripped the sups perfectly. Then I opened the .sup files in BDSup2Sub and converted them to .sub files, and it also created a .idx file for each stream. The newest MKVMerge will accept these .sub (actually the .idx) files and mux them right into the MKV for me, along with the original pgs subs, and unfortunately none of the subs worked. I them muxed them in the mkv again, but this time, I removed the pgs subs and that worked fine.

Unfortunately I don't want to delete the original and lose the pgs subs since I figure someone will figure out how to just use them directly in the mkv, and I usually prefer the "original" format when possible. this means I need to keep the original file, or perhaps I can just mux the subs into a new small file with just them in there.

then I wondered if the order mattered; so i re-muxed them again - putting the subs BEFORE the pgs sup files, and that worked a treat. If I select one of the pgs streams it won't play and my player complains, but the sub streams work fine. the forced subs were set as the default, which was easy enough.

I never bothered trying to OCR them, as I don't really understand the point of it, the converted files play just fine, as far as i can see.

although these couple of extra steps are required, it's certainly not too time-consuming or difficult, once you find the right tools (and brush up on my command line skills), it's pretty easy to get a fully functional mkv and I'm keeping the originals within the file, so that if/when the pgs subs can be played directly, I can just re-mux the stripped subs back out and I'm done.

Last edited by JustinChase; 24th January 2010 at 16:39. Reason: forgot to include the BDSuptoSub step in the process