Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2012, 15:43   #201  |  Link
infoeater

Sorry for delay and thank you for your explanations Asmodian.

So ResampleHQ ignore (small) gamma differences between BT.709 and sRGB and use sRBG coefficients and gamma for its internal linear colorspace?

High-end consumer video cameras (~1000 USD) often offer really very good calibration to BT.709. In fact it's often only limited by color accuracy of the sensor and cannot be improved in automatic postprocessing. There are some tests at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/. Consumer TV's on the other hand offer usually poor calibration (because many customers like oversaturated colors and cold (high Kelvin) white point), which can be improved, manually by calibration in higher models.

Canon PowerShot SD950 IS use BT.601 for its videos.

Panasonic and Sony consumer camcorders offer "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XvYCC" as an option, which can be disabled in menu.
It is compatible with BT.709, just allows values out of range that define extra colors. It is possible to disable it, because normally camera tries to convert such colors to colors in range, allowing better perceived color accuracy on displays not supporting xvYCC.

BTW I am interested how ResampleHQ will handle out of range xvYCC colors when resizing TV.709 to TV.709? Will it lose them somewhere in it's internal color space?
infoeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 20:32   #202  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, ResampleHQ uses sRGB gamma for its linear color space but I am sure it would be impossible to tell the difference after converting back.

I believe all color space conversions done in Avisynth, including ResampleHQ's, use "absolute" color conversions. Any out of range colors are clamped to the nearest valid color. However ResamplesHQ's internal color space is in 32-bit float and any clamping occurs at the final conversion to TV.709.

[Rant]It is good to know cameras actually try for accurate colors. I wonder if/when Windows will ever be gamut aware. The thumbnail generator in Windows 7 is color space aware, a photo tagged as anything but sRGB is converted to sRGB, but not the rest of the OS and it cannot use a calibrated color space instead of sRGB. This means wide gamut displays are bad, not just useless, for anything but a Mac or Photoshop type work. I also really hate all the "fluid motion" features and similar that new TVs have but they cannot get the color even close to correct. Why are all the new Android tablets and phones using 60% of sRGB's gamut and a 7500K+ white point?! What is the point of a 1920x1200 10" screen if not image quality?[/Rant]

Sorry about the rant, I couldn't stop myself.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 09:42   #203  |  Link
active1

how could i know that my image is linear and i need a gamma-correction?
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 22:35   #204  |  Link
Asmodian

Images are never in linear light, they all have a gamma curve (I am sure there are formats which use linear light, but no consumer ones do). At 8 bits per sample linear light is a bad idea as there aren't enough steps in the black/dark grey and too many in the almost white. It is good ResampleHQ uses 32bits for its linear color space. Using linear light when resizing to a smaller resolution allows for a more "optically correct" resize but you never leave the image in linear light for display.

ResampleHQ is not for doing gamma conversions, just resizing.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:00   #205  |  Link
active1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Images are never in linear light, they all have a gamma curve (I am sure there are formats which use linear light, but no consumer ones do). At 8 bits per sample linear light is a bad idea as there aren't enough steps in the black/dark grey and too many in the almost white. It is good ResampleHQ uses 32bits for its linear color space. Using linear light when resizing to a smaller resolution allows for a more "optically correct" resize but you never leave the image in linear light for display.
so when i need to do gamma-correction?
plus i tried ResampleHQ on different images, and i didn't see much different from the other avisynth resizers, but in the earth light image (which is included with resamplehq-x86.dll) the difference was clear

Last edited by active1; 12th September 2012 at 12:21.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 15:02   #206  |  Link
ajp_anton

When you have small bright spots or thin lines with sharp high contrast edges, "normal" resizers tend to lower that contrast a bit.

Say the resizer needs to average a bright spot with intensity 1 with a dark background with intensity 0.
"Normal" resizers will simply average this to 0.5, which becomes the new brightness of this bright spot.
Obviously it should get darker when you downsize, but not this much.

Converting to linear light (value^2.2): both 1 and 0 stay as they are. Average = 0.5.
Inverting the previous conversion on this value: 0.5^(1/2.2) = 0.73, which is brighter than 0.5, and is what your eyes would actually see in the real world.

The gamma-curved representation of pixel light intensities doesn't represent actual light intensity, so averaging pixels here doesn't give correct results. It does however work as a good enough approximation in most real-life scenarios.

Last edited by ajp_anton; 12th September 2012 at 15:05.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 19:21   #207  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1 View Post
so when i need to do gamma-correction?
Only when wanting to view content on a display with a different gamma than intended but that isn't related to ResampleHQ.
Old 24th September 2012, 10:53   #208  |  Link
TheElix

Is this script meant for real-time usage (for watching videos with)?
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 21:06   #209  |  Link
Asmodian

This isn't a script, just a plugin, but it is fast enough to run real time. I am not sure why you would though, MadVR offers linear-light options for resizing at playback.

Also resizing in linear light is most important when resizing to a smaller resolution which is (I assume) rarely done at playback.
Old 28th June 2013, 21:28   #210  |  Link
pancserzso

Hi,

I'm trying to import a AVCHD file using ffms2 from a Panasonic GH2 camera, which is 4:2:0. I'm looking for the best possible quality. Can you help me which of these are the best?

Is there any point using this plugin when there is no resolution resize, just chroma YV12 -> RGB conversion and Chroma upsample?

Color conversion by FFVideoSource:

Code:
FFVideoSource( "mts.mts", seekmode = -1, colorspace = "RGB24", resizer = "LANCZOS" )
Color conversion by AviSynth 2.60:

Code:
FFVideoSource( "mts.mts", seekmode = -1 )
ConvertToRGB24( matrix = "Rec709", chromaresample = "lanczos" )
Color conversion by ResampleHQ:

Code:
FFVideoSource( "mts.mts", seekmode = -1 )
ResampleHQ( dstcolorspace = "RGB24", srcmatrix = "TV.709", kernel = "lanczos" )

Last edited by pancserzso; 29th June 2013 at 01:37.
pancserzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 23:28   #211  |  Link
pbristow

pancserzso: You need to ask your question in the usage forum, not the development one. Also, open a fresh thread rather than tacking it onto an existing one. That will help you by bringing your question to the attention of more people, and will avoid irritating/confusing people who come to *this* thread looking for info about the stated topic. ("Gamma-aware, dithered colorspace conversion and resizing")

Good luck!

[EDIT: OK, Perhaps I'm being too hasty. Your question *does* have to do with the ResampleHQ plugin, after all. But it is more of a usage question than a development one.

Maybe I should just shut up and let someone else talk. ]

Last edited by pbristow; 28th June 2013 at 23:32.
pbristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 23:51   #212  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbristow View Post
pancserzso: You need to ask your question in the usage forum, not the development one. Also, open a fresh thread rather than tacking it onto an existing one. That will help you by bringing your question to the attention of more people, and will avoid irritating/confusing people who come to *this* thread looking for info about the stated topic. ("Gamma-aware, dithered colorspace conversion and resizing")

Good luck!

[EDIT: OK, Perhaps I'm being too hasty. Your question *does* have to do with the ResampleHQ plugin, after all. But it is more of a usage question than a development one.

Maybe I should just shut up and let someone else talk. ]
I especially want to ask in in the ResampleHQ thread, since I believe this is the place where the developer and experts of ResampleHQ are. Also, this is the official forum linked in the ResampleHQ docs, I believe I can ask this question here.

So, I think ResampleHQ gives me the highest quality, I just want to hear some expert opinion on:
1. Whether there is any point using ResampleHQ only for chroma upsampling when doing color space conversion as well.
2. What kernel is recommended for the highest quality 4:2:0 -> RGB conversion + chroma upsampling, if the image dimensions don't change?

Last edited by pancserzso; 29th June 2013 at 01:36.
Old 29th June 2013, 02:32   #213  |  Link
Asmodian

I think this is an ok place to ask about ResampleHQ, development seems to be done so it can/has turned into more of a support thread.

I would say it is fine to use ResampleHQ for converting to RGB but U and V do not use gamma so the "gamma-aware" doesn't help in this case. However, as ResampleHQ does the conversion in 32‐bit floating‐point and dithers to R'G'B', I do not believe another option would provide higher quality.

I don't think the normal Avisynth ConverttoRGB() uses dithering. Note that FS dithering (like that used by ResampleHQ) tends to get lost when doing a lossy compression (H.264) unless using very high bit rates.

I like Catmull-Rom, Blackman3, Blackman4, or Spline36 depending on ringing vs sharpness but I have never done or seen any good testing of the kernel choice for YUV 4:2:0 to RGB outside of MadVR. For MadVR the the consensus seems to be Jinc3 or bicubic75 but there are fewer choices in MadVR and ResampleHQ doesn't offer Jinc. I am sure that all choices have tradeoffs. I would think Blackman3 would be good, sharper than some but also low ringing and not blurring. Catmull-Rom (bicubic b=0.0, c=0.5) or bicubic75 (b=0.0, c=0.75 - sharper with more ringing) would also be good choices.

If you have chroma artifacts in the source a little blurring might be good so you could use Mitchell-Netravali or Robidoux.

Sorry, I know I have suggested half the kernels but I don't think there is a right answer for kernel choice. I wouldn't go too ringing and I don't like the stronger blurring of Softcubic unless the chroma is in a bad state.

note: 4:2:0 -> RGB includes chroma upsampling by definition. You cannot have subsampled color with RGB.

edit:
If/when you do pick a kernel please let us know which one.

Last edited by Asmodian; 29th June 2013 at 02:44.
Old 29th June 2013, 03:09   #214  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think this is an ok place to ask about ResampleHQ, development seems to be done so it can/has turned into more of a support thread.

I would say it is fine to use ResampleHQ for converting to RGB but U and V do not use gamma so the "gamma-aware" doesn't help in this case. However, as ResampleHQ does the conversion in 32‐bit floating‐point and dithers to R'G'B', I do not believe another option would provide higher quality.

I don't think the normal Avisynth ConverttoRGB() uses dithering. Note that FS dithering (like that used by ResampleHQ) tends to get lost when doing a lossy compression (H.264) unless using very high bit rates.

I like Catmull-Rom, Blackman3, Blackman4, or Spline36 depending on ringing vs sharpness but I have never done or seen any good testing of the kernel choice for YUV 4:2:0 to RGB outside of MadVR. For MadVR the the consensus seems to be Jinc3 or bicubic75 but there are fewer choices in MadVR and ResampleHQ doesn't offer Jinc. I am sure that all choices have tradeoffs. I would think Blackman3 would be good, sharper than some but also low ringing and not blurring. Catmull-Rom (bicubic b=0.0, c=0.5) or bicubic75 (b=0.0, c=0.75 - sharper with more ringing) would also be good choices.

If you have chroma artifacts in the source a little blurring might be good so you could use Mitchell-Netravali or Robidoux.

Sorry, I know I have suggested half the kernels but I don't think there is a right answer for kernel choice. I wouldn't go too ringing and I don't like the stronger blurring of Softcubic unless the chroma is in a bad state.

note: 4:2:0 -> RGB includes chroma upsampling by definition. You cannot have subsampled color with RGB.

edit:
If/when you do pick a kernel please let us know which one.
Thanks a lot! I've compared it a bit more, and I'm confident in using ResampleHQ for the task.

Some results I've found out:
using dither gave me no visual difference (I seriously cannot see the effect on my source), while it slows down the script extremely. In my case it was 3.7 fps vs. 22 fps with dither = false

for the normal kernel, I've played around and for downsampling 1920x1080 -> 1280x720, I concluded that:
- Lanczos is too sharp / ringy for my liking
- The best filter for my liking was Mitchell

for the chroma kernel, the honest conclusion was:
- there is almost no difference visible at least on my soft real-camera source
- the only exception is SoftCubic, which is actually visibly too soft on red lights, like LEDs
- the PNG file sizes go like this:
softbicubic, bicubic = mitchell, catmull, lanczos

I think I'll choose mitchell here as well.

Code:
ResampleHQ( width = 1280, height = 720, dstcolorspace = "RGB24", srcmatrix = "TV.709", kernel = "MitchellNetravali", chroma_kernel = "MitchellNetravali" )

Last edited by pancserzso; 29th June 2013 at 03:17.
Old 30th June 2013, 23:25   #215  |  Link
creaothceann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancserzso View Post
using dither gave me no visual difference (I seriously cannot see the effect on my source)
Watch for color banding.

(pictures change upon mouseover)
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 23:45   #216  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Image links are all "Forbidden"
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 23:59   #217  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

That's strange. They work for me.
Country-dependent access? :erm:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 02:20   #218  |  Link
pancserzso

Thanks for the samples. My source is my own Panasonic GH2 camera, which cannot make such perfect smooth gradient like on the images you've linked, but I might try taking a video of the sky or sunset or something which is like that. On normal, everyday scenes, it didn't happen.
Old 6th October 2013, 09:37   #219  |  Link
astronob

I can't get this filter to work with cinema craft encodersp3. I get a small black mpv file with the words in red on top "Unknown ResampleHQ Internal Error" Any suggestions?

Last edited by astronob; 6th October 2013 at 11:13.
astronob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 20:16   #220  |  Link
Asmodian

please