Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th August 2009, 12:46   #1  |  Link
fvisagie

Silent frames and/or wrong clip start with Movie Maker

Hi All,

I'm using Windows Movie Maker 2.1 on Windows XP SP 3. I'm inputting and also rendering to DV AVI Type 1. While I'm desperately looking for something to replace Movie Maker with, there are a couple of in-process projects that were built with it. Ideally I'd like to slide them off the production line with the minimum of fuss with a magic trick I might learn from you ;-).

The main problems I'm experiencing are:
Sometimes, a clip's last frame before a clip join has no audio (this seems to occur more often when adding an overlay subtitle that starts on the next clip)
Sometimes a clip's first frame contains incorrect video, such as the actual last frame of the preceding clip, or sometimes even apparently out-of-sequence video
Sometimes these occur together
I've tried all the fiddles that have to do with WMM stability and performance, but no information on this problem has turned up.

Is there some magic trick I can try, like converting source to DV Type 2 before editing or something like that?

Many thanks,
Francois
fvisagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 19:44   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

There are lots of freewares that would edit a DV AVI, it depends however on your needs. Also, you may have LE/SE software that comes with various devices (firewire cards usually have a LE/SE editor), there are PC magazines that from time to time have a free editor (online registration etc.) and so on. Or spend some [good] money and get a good one ...

Frankly, I bought mine at sales for 3 or 5€, it's a special version of Mainconcept sold by Buhl Data (a relabelling company in Germany), it looks like a simpler version of Adobe Premiere, perfect for my needs.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote