Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 19th February 2004, 18:18   #41  |  Link
CruNcher

I used the basic producer version with the above audience file and it needed 12 min for both passes @ least thats what the end times shown in producer. i think it could be possible that the Preview took some more Cpu cycles damn that then but i cant get the new Priducer Commandline version from the helixcomunity And also in this comparsion the frame numbers where chosen randomly and Stux is right the 2nd has a more detailed skin then the XviD one also the other Skin shoot on the 3rd PNG is more detailed only the 1st PNG with the fence in the background is not as much detailed as the XviD one.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 19th February 2004 at 18:36.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 18:45   #42  |  Link
karl_lillevold

After transitioning helixcommunity.org over to another system, they are having some trouble getting the file sharing section up and running again, which is very unfortunate. I will ask today what the status is. The latest Helix Producer 10 Preview is already included with the latest AutoRV10, I think, and possibly other GUIs. You can always use only producer.exe from those tools.

Re Preview windows: for 640x272 on a fast computer (fast moving previews), since Producer uses no overlay for either preview window, the overhead is pretty bad. I would guess at least 30-40%, but have not measured accurately.
Old 19th February 2004, 19:50   #43  |  Link
lilhobo

i am not getting producer to recognise the new codec...do i need to rename it anything??? i havent run the reg file cuase of the warning

noob alert
lilhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 19:58   #44  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
Re Preview windows: for 640x272 on a fast computer (fast moving previews), since Producer uses no overlay for either preview window, the overhead is pretty bad. I would guess at least 30-40%, but have not measured accurately.
Turning off the video preview will prevent this added time though right?
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 20:32   #45  |  Link
Stux

Quote:
I never recommended turing the inloop completely off, but we allowed it as an option for instance for HD and mobile devices where there are severe CPU constraints on playback. For instance, I am sure the smoke snapshot mentioned above is a B frame at a relatively high quant.
Exactly , I think the only valid conclusion is that you shouldn't completely turn off the inLoop filter in RV10 (unless you have to)

Quote:
Of course, you can always argue, do you want the awful blocks, or slighly smoothed out bricks on the background wall? Since this is high motion and not stills like we are looking at here, I much prefer not to be distracted by these blocks. In the high action, there is no chance my eyes are looking at that wall for the tiny instant it is visible. My eyes are drawn to the moving object that is the focus of the scene. Anyway, just felt it necessary with some response to this discussion on blockiness and comparisons.
Thanks

I initially glanced at the snapshots and thought "oooh that's interesting... and look at the blocks" and wasn't going to comment, but as the discussion continued felt it necessary to point out that all was not roses

That blocky car is the perfect example, severe blocking is a horrible thing

Last edited by Stux; 20th February 2004 at 09:52.
Stux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 20:53   #46  |  Link
kilg0r3
! - User - !

OT

Sorry, I have been away for a while. So please excuse this lame OT question. Whta and where is this xvid extra detail thingy?
Old 19th February 2004, 21:00   #47  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

dunno either (very surprizing isn't it? )
Old 19th February 2004, 22:40   #48  |  Link
CruNcher

I rechecked the Encode Time and also the Video Preview it isn't really the matter with preview 1 minute is lost i know used <firstPassComplexity type="uint">65</firstPassComplexity>

Encode Size
-----------
RV10 = 21.6
XviD = 21.6

Encode Time
------------
RV10 = 10 min
XviD* = 4.40 min /Extra Details Beta4

* 1pass = 22 fps, 2pass = 13 fps

the pictures are updated (look the same tough)

My CPU is a P4 Williamete Core 1.8 GHZ

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 19th February 2004 at 22:42.
Old 19th February 2004, 22:53   #49  |  Link
karl_lillevold

lilhobo: Sorry, I don't know. Should not be a problem. With recent Producer versions it should replace erv4.dll in Producer's codecs directory, and drop right in. Are you sure you put it in the right folder and for the right Producer version? What is the error message?

31 Flavas: Turning preview off makes the encoder run faster.

CruNcher: Like I wrote in the first post: " Additionally, the 1st pass now runs at complexity 50, and always without the inloop filter, making the 1st pass faster than ever."

So either remove the firstPassComplexity=65 option, or set it to 50. Also check your registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\RealNetworks\RV9 to see if anything is left over there. Registry will over-ride everything else. Running at 50 1st pass should shave off another 1-2 minutes off your encode time, but there is still a difference from my timings. I don't know what this is caused by. Make sure your encoderComplexity is 85, and not 100. No need to encode again.
Old 19th February 2004, 22:54   #50  |  Link
Assault

@ kilg0r3

I don't know either. I can only guess that CruNcher compiled XviD and optimized it for detail preservation.

Assault
Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 23:00   #51  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

For resume use this reg file for best quality/speed with new RV10

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RealNetworks\RV9]
"calcPSNR"=dword:00000001
"firstPassComplexity"=dword:00000032
"encoderComplexity"=dword:00000055
"customPacketSize"=dword:00003e80
"rcEnableCurveCompression"=dword:00000001
"rcAnalysisFileName"="realvideo.pass"
"rcAnalysisLogFileName"="realvideo.log"
"rcSourceFrameRate"=dword:00005da8
"maxConsecutiveBFrames"=dword:00000003
"inloopCutOffQuant"=dword:0000000c
"inloopCutOffCompatible"=dword:00000000
"inloopCutOffBUseRefQuant"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RealNetworks\RV10HFE]
"strength"=dword:00000001

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 23:08   #52  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Sagittaire: Nice summary, but as always: be careful with registry settings. If you forget about them, you're stuck... and will always be encoding with those options forever after. Especially "rcSourceFrameRate"=dword:00005da8. Until a fixed Producer comes out, this has to be the correct framerate for the new rate control to accurately determine target size.

Framerate Decimal Hex
23.976fps = 23976 = "rcSourceFrameRate"=dword:00005da8
25.000fps = 25000 = "rcSourceFrameRate"=dword:000061A8
29.970fps = 29970 = "rcSourceFrameRate"=dword:00007512
30.000fps = 30000 = "rcSourceFrameRate"=dword:00007530
Old 19th February 2004, 23:19   #53  |  Link
kilg0r3
! - User - !

Besides my ot question above, I'd like to know if there is any benefit for one-pass encodes?
Old 20th February 2004, 00:21   #54  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by kilg0r3
Besides my ot question above, I'd like to know if there is any benefit for one-pass encodes?
No, the new method does not work for 1-pass. If rcEnableCurveCompression is set to true for a 1-pass encode, it runs the 1st pass. If you want to run the 2nd pass by itself using already created .pass file (make sure it's the right one!), then set rcPassNumber to 2, and run a 1-pass encode (option -dt).
Old 20th February 2004, 03:19   #55  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

For some anime, like One Piece, old RC + DropDupe gives better quality.
Old 20th February 2004, 03:28   #56  |  Link
CruNcher

hmm Karl sorry but i dont get lower with the Encode Time 10 min is the maximum i can reach with this 640x360 clip with RV10

http://cruncher.mufflastig.com/XviD/..._Preservation/

here are some shoots you can see all three XviD Postfilter Combinations in Comparsion to the inloop filter still for me personaly inloop filter is to agressive in every Scene and i prefer the Deblocking on the Y Plane as you can see it doesn't hurts in the Closeups as the inloop filter does so Detail Preservation is constant for every Scene

It is about Time

Old 20th February 2004, 04:36   #57  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Thanks for trying out the new version, CruNcher. Your feedback is appreciated.

I have posted a minor update: erv4.dll compiled with the Intel Compiler (which is normally used when building this DLL, just not for the first version I made available). See first post.

The Intel Compiler generally produces faster code, even though all our core functions are already MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3 optimized, because it does a good job inlining code. Thus, the 100 KB size increase in DLL size as well. Still, it's worth it, with 5-7.5% speedup. My quick test this afternoon:

Dimensions: 704 x 272
Frame Rate: 24.000 FPS
Format: I420
Duration: 01:43.958

MSVC : 3min 27sec
ICL : 3min 12sec

Your milage will vary, especially if your input format is not native YV12 or I420, because then the improvement will be watered out by decoding/color converting the source.

I also know how it is possible to increase the speed of the 2nd pass by 15-25%, but I don't know when I will have time to implement it...

P.S. Regarding the new Intel Prescott. Finally hyper-threading has an effect on the encode speed. With Prescott, the encoding speed increases 5% due to SSE3 optimizations, and 20% due to hyper-treading, a total of 25%. Yes, it produces a lot of heat, so don't try one of those in a small form-factor XPC, like mine.
Old 20th February 2004, 06:17   #58  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:

Yes, it produces a lot of heat, so don't try one of those in a small form-factor XPC, like mine.
Is that heatsink going to be able to cool off your video card enough? I mean it's such a tiny one...

I feel like I need a magnifier to see it

Nice mod though!
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2004, 07:53   #59  |  Link
damrod

ehq50 for the first pass?? does this etting apply to rv10 "normal" producer ie not elysium version ??
damrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2004, 12:00   #60  |  Link
h9903209

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirber
For some anime, like One Piece, old RC + DropDupe gives better quality.
Could u elaborate a bit why?
h9903209 is offline   Reply With Quote