Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD Rebuilder

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:02   #1  |  Link
sparkyar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
BD Rebuilder best possible quality?

Hi, when encoding to BD25 why Im getting noticiable better quality with 1pass ABR than with 2 passes.
Im using highest (very slow).
Ive tried custom target and bd25, and the difference in size in the main movie is 300mb so it cant be that.
I want the best posible quality and I dont care about encoding time, I have to enable some hidden features or what?
thanks

BDREBUILDER.INI
Quote:
[Options]
VERSION=0.37.0.7
MODE=0
ENCODE_QUALITY=3
ONEPASS_ENCODING=0
AUTO_QUALITY=0
QUICK_EXTRAS=0
TARGET_SIZE=26500
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;spa;
SUBS_TO_KEEP=all
SD_CONVERT=0
OPEN_GOP=0
RESIZE_1080=0
DEINTERLACE=1
SD_TO_1080=0
CONVERT_WIDE=0
DTS_REENCODE=0
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=1
AC3_192=0
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=1
AVCHD=0
REMOVE_WORKFILES=0
MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=1
REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
USE_FILTERS=0
BDMV_CERT_ONLY=0
USE_LAVF=0
IVTC_PULLDOWN=1
ASSUME_DVD_PAL=0
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=0
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=24200
[Paths]
The scenes with dark areas get too pixelated

Sorry for my poor english, Im from Argentina

Great app btw
sparkyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:35   #2  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyar View Post
Hi, when encoding to BD25 why Im getting noticiable better quality with 1pass ABR than with 2 passes.
Im using highest (very slow).
Ive tried custom target and bd25, and the difference in size in the main movie is 300mb so it cant be that.
I want the best posible quality and I dont care about encoding time, I have to enable some hidden features or what?
thanks

BDREBUILDER.INI


The scenes with dark areas get too pixelated

Sorry for my poor english, Im from Argentina

Great app btw
I can't imagine ever getting any kind of blockiness at all with BD-25 and 2 pass...
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:51   #3  |  Link
sparkyar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I can't imagine ever getting any kind of blockiness at all with BD-25 and 2 pass...
sorry if Im getting too picky and the quality Its not that bad, but its noticiable to me

so far my encodes to bd25 show blocks only noticiable in dark areas, can I edit the ini file to activate a better trellis or something to lower the blockiness in dark areas?

again sorry for my poor english
sparkyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 02:11   #4  |  Link
setarip_old
Registered User
 
setarip_old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,274
@sparkyar

Hi!

What is the title and region of your original, commercial source Blu-ray disc?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 04:17   #5  |  Link
sparkyar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@sparkyar

Hi!

What is the title and region of your original, commercial source Blu-ray disc?
Hi, my first encode was HPotter7 R1, but HP is a very dark movie, so I understand that the encode ended with blocks in some dark scenes, the 2nd was LittleFockrs R1 and ended with some blocks too, so thats when I started to worry about the possible tweaks that can or cant be made to bdrebuilder.

thx in advance for any tips that you can give me
sparkyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 05:03   #6  |  Link
manono
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyar View Post
thx in advance for any tips that you can give me
Calibrate your TV set and/or computer monitor, whatever it is on which you're seeing the blocks.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 05:15   #7  |  Link
setarip_old
Registered User
 
setarip_old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,274
@sparkyar

1) I had no blockiness or pixelation when I made a full disc BD9 of the Region A version of "Little Fockers"

2) In light of the fact that you stated that both discs exhibited blockiness in the same area (toward the end), I'd suggest that either you have some consistently bad media for burning, or your burner may need to be cleaned...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 12:42   #8  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@sparkyar

1) I had no blockiness or pixelation when I made a full disc BD9 of the Region A version of "Little Fockers"

2) In light of the fact that you stated that both discs exhibited blockiness in the same area (toward the end), I'd suggest that either you have some consistently bad media for burning, or your burner may need to be cleaned...
The other possibility is that something is interfering with the playback during frame-serving, and the blockiness is there at the time of encode. That is much more likely than block inserted by X264 at BD-25 bitrates.
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 02:24   #9  |  Link
sparkyar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
Calibrate your TV set and/or computer monitor, whatever it is on which you're seeing the blocks.
its calibrated, and Im comparing the BD50 and BD25 in the same monitor

@setarip_old

sorry, I didnt mean the blocks are in the end of the movie or the end of the disk, the blocks are small but noticiable in almost every dark scene of the movie. And Im comparing the encodes vs the BD50 before burning the disk.

@jdobbs

Could be, I will try uninstalling ffdshow and avisynth, and I will try others versions.

What are the x264 configuration that bdrebuilder uses for mbtree, DCT decimate and P-frames?
sparkyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 02:27   #10  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mexico
Posts: 258
A couple of screenshots would be useful.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 04:47   #11  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyar View Post
its calibrated, and Im comparing the BD50 and BD25 in the same monitor

@setarip_old

sorry, I didnt mean the blocks are in the end of the movie or the end of the disk, the blocks are small but noticiable in almost every dark scene of the movie. And Im comparing the encodes vs the BD50 before burning the disk.

@jdobbs

Could be, I will try uninstalling ffdshow and avisynth, and I will try others versions.

What are the x264 configuration that bdrebuilder uses for mbtree, DCT decimate and P-frames?
You can see the most recently used command line in LASTCMD.TXT in the BD-RB folder. It changes depending upon quality level selected.
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 23:10   #12  |  Link
sparkyar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You can see the most recently used command line in LASTCMD.TXT in the BD-RB folder. It changes depending upon quality level selected.
ok, I will try again with 2 passes and highest quality to see the last command line

@SquallMX
ok, I will post some screenshots in 2 days
sparkyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quality, rebuilder

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.