Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th April 2006, 03:46   #1  |  Link
lexor

Online video store for the PSP in Japan

Doom9 is goint to have a field day with this one (or a heart attack, whichever)

Here is a DRM sniplet:
Quote:
Instead of merely restricting the user's ability to copy content and view it on other devices, files downloaded from Sony's music store come with a limited shelf life. Like the ill-fated DivX (the original rental concept, not the MPEG4-derived codec of the same name), videos on Portable TV will self-destruct after a set period of time, after which additional payment is required to view them. The time range varies from 5 to 30 days on most downloads, even the ones that are offered for no charge.
Source
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2006, 04:55   #2  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

That's unfortunately pretty normal for digital DRM systems with online distribution by now, isn't it? Steam already turned the concept into a major distribution channel, wmv has done it since v8, and it's been used (or attempted) by music publishers for years. Wasn't liquid audio that way?

Now, if it were HD-DVD or Bluray, that would be really bad news. =\ I know they want this model, I just don't think they have the guts to test it on consumers right at launch time.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2006, 16:48   #3  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
That's unfortunately pretty normal for digital DRM systems with online distribution by now, isn't it? Steam already turned the concept into a major distribution channel, wmv has done it since v8, and it's been used (or attempted) by music publishers for years. Wasn't liquid audio that way?

Now, if it were HD-DVD or Bluray, that would be really bad news. =\ I know they want this model, I just don't think they have the guts to test it on consumers right at launch time.
I think you missed the point, when you download with Steam or iTMS you get to keep the copy on your HDD for as long as you want, with Sony you have to keep buying it for full price every 5 to 30 days. That is by no means the norm in DRM.
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote