Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 14th February 2005, 18:07   #1  |  Link
Trinity 2005

Nero AVC Standardizatoin Question

Hi, guys. Right now I'm using Nero Recode v 2.2.6.9 to encode all my DVD collection. Since I use Maximum Definition-AVC profile, here is my question.

Under Nero Digital Settings, there are lots of choices. Among them, General Settings & Encoding Toos troubled me a lot.

a. Motion vector range (-256 to 255.75) or (-512 to 511.75)
b. Maximum refrerence frames ( should be as large as possibel?)
c. Maximum GOP size (300)
d. Maximum B-frames ( Is it a part of mpeg 4 part 10 to use B-Frame?)
f. Weighted prediction ( in this forum I was told it's only be used by nero, so as my understand, It's not standardization)

As bond said , some of them are the personal choice. I fully unstand it. Just want to make my files fully follow the H.264 standard. Hope to reduce trouble whey play them in the forecoming formal H. 264 Player ( for instance, QUICK TIME 7) Thanks a lot in advance.
Trinity 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 19:19   #2  |  Link
bond

Trinity, your thread was invisible?

ok i now made it visible and have to say: nero will always produce h.264 compliant files
whether quicktime will handle nero files doesnt depend on nero, but on quicktime

eg quicktime doesnt handle b-frames in mpeg-4 asp. does this make xvid encodes using b-frames incompliant to mpeg-4? no

to be sure that qt is able to play your encodes, you will have to wait till qt7 is released

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 19:34   #3  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

All the features of nero are in the mpeg4 specs. If QT isnt able to decode them then it's QT's fault. The only reason for keeping QT installed is it's great web streaming but there are other solutions for that.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 14th February 2005 at 19:38.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 21:16   #4  |  Link
video
moron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharktooth
All the features of nero are in the mpeg4 specs. If QT isnt able to decode them then it's QT's fault. The only reason for keeping QT installed is it's great web streaming but there are other solutions for that.
Afaik vobsubs in private stream and ahead's way of chapter tagging however legal, but a little bit out of specs. At least mpeg4 recommends ttxt subs not vobsub ones. However it can work, if other decoder vendors will support it. Speaking Apple I've lotsa doubt.

Last edited by video; 14th February 2005 at 21:25.
video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 21:27   #5  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

subs are stored as private streams... perfectly muxed in the mp4 in a compliant way.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 21:33   #6  |  Link
video
moron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharktooth
subs are stored as private streams... perfectly muxed in the mp4 in a compliant way.
Okay I said that's no problem with that... but there will be possibly folks what prefer viewing them even if they don't have the latest nero showtime, they have mac boxes or standalone players
video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2005, 13:53   #7  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by video
At least mpeg4 recommends ttxt subs not vobsub ones
hm mpeg-4 doesnt only recommend ttxt, it standardizes it under iso 14496-17 (aka mpeg-4 timed text)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote