Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 24th May 2015, 12:07   #61  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
FDK is considered higher quality now. Still, Apple AAC is extremely close, no harm using it, especially at 128 and up.
Can you back this up with some test results?

I am using libfdk-aac from within ffmpeg, it does sound pretty good, but VBR modes seem to be problematic.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 24th May 2015 at 14:01.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 14:58   #62  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
FDK is considered higher quality now. Still, Apple AAC is extremely close, no harm using it, especially at 128 and up.
I wonder if LoRd_MuldeR has thought about incorporating this (Fraunhofer FDK) 'open source' version of the AAC encoder into his LameXP audio encoding application?
Old 24th May 2015, 15:55   #63  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I wonder if LoRd_MuldeR has thought about incorporating this (Fraunhofer FDK) 'open source' version of the AAC encoder into his LameXP audio encoding application?
See here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...30#post1721930

Old 24th May 2015, 16:21   #64  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 19:29   #65  |  Link
IgorC

Quote:
Hehe. That's simply not the case.

Fraunhofer developer (on hydrogenaudio board) has said that their FhG AAC encoder from Winamp still provides better quality than FDK.
Some personal tests also indicates the same.
So it's still Apple > FhG Winamp > FDK.
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 21:05   #66  |  Link
manolito

Thanks for setting this straight...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 25th May 2015 at 16:13.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 19:31   #67  |  Link
stax76

In StaxRip currently only wav and flac are defined as possible input formats, are there any other formats supported?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 05:11   #68  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorC View Post
Fraunhofer developer (on hydrogenaudio board) has said that their FhG AAC encoder from Winamp still provides better quality than FDK.
Some personal tests also indicates the same.
So it's still Apple > FhG Winamp > FDK.
I can't say I've compared them as I tend to use bitrates (or VBR quality settings) that are transparent enough for me not to be able to tell the difference, and I use QAAC for encoding "soundtrack" audio mainly due to it having the --no-delay option, but I'll say one thing for FhG/Winamp, it's very fast. VBR encoding is probbly around twice the speed of the other encoders.

My main dislike when it comes to FDKAAC is the huge bitrate difference between the VBR quality settings, especially the higher -m 4 and -m 5 quality settings. -m 4 seems a bit low while -m 5 is too high. Although I found the gap can be closed somewhat by specifying a low pass filter in the command line. I settled on -w 18500 for both as it increases the low pass frequency for -m 4 and lowers it for -m 5 and seems to produce more sensible bitrates.
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php..._AAC#Bandwidth
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 10:38   #69  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

There are new dummies for the icudt55.dll as addition to makeportable for qaac.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:11   #70  |  Link
tebasuna51

WARNING with last qaac 2.60 version:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...18#post1782018
Old 2nd October 2016, 16:46   #71  |  Link
sneaker_ger

tebasuna5, which 7.1 configuration would you recommend for e.g. BluRay rips? The new one from qaac >=2.61 or the old one from <=2.59?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 03:05   #72  |  Link
tebasuna51

For 5.1 all seems work fine.

I never use 7.1, my audio system is only 5.1 and can't test with a real player the differences but I don't like the patch applied.
For 7.1 use qaac 2.59 and always output as .m4a, never like .aac (without --adts parameter).
Old 20th January 2018, 19:41   #73  |  Link
chros

I wanted to transcode my 320kbps cbr mp3 radio captured files into something meaningful today, so I found qaac with the default preset (-V91 -q2). So I searched for a small but powerful GUI for it, hence I found BatchEncoder on GitHub yesterday: it reminds me MeGui and BeHappy, but can do batch processing with threading, supports loads of codecs and presets, it can download the only used latest utils (x32 or x64 version). Previously I've been written small batch scripts for this type of audio transcoding: no more

Do I have to install AppleApplicationSupport64 to be able to use qaac? Isn't the CoreAudioToolbox.dll file enough itself?
That's what I did: downloaded iTunes x64 and extracted AppleApplicationSupport and AppleApplicationSupport64 with 7zip, then installed x64 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
There are new dummies for the icudt55.dll as addition to makeportable for qaac.
What's this file for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
For 7.1 use qaac 2.59 and always output as .m4a, never like .aac (without --adts parameter).
Why is that?
I've been wondering which output "container" to use for stereo music files, but since most of the players support raw aac streams, I don't care about tagging and mp3directcut only supports raw aac streams I don't see why m4a is better. Am I missing something?

Last edited by chros; 20th January 2018 at 19:45.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 19:51   #74  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Do I have to install AppleApplicationSupport64 to be able to use qaac? Isn't the CoreAudioToolbox.dll file enough itself?
That's what I did: downloaded iTunes x64 and extracted AppleApplicationSupport and AppleApplicationSupport64 with 7zip, then installed x64.
No. If you executed the "makeportable" batch file, it would extract all the required DLL's for you into subdirectories (QTFiles + QTFiles64) which only need to exist with qaac.exe or qaac64.exe in the same directory.

32 bit:
  • qaac.exe
  • QTFiles\*.*

64 bit:
  • qaac64.exe
  • QTFiles64\*.*

Quote:
What's this file for?
The "makeportable" batch file extracted all the DLL's from the iTunes64 installer which belong to iTunes' whole feature set; qaac needs only the encoder core. For encoding only, most of the content in the icudt55.dll is not required. But the file icudt55.dll can't be deleted, the encoder would refuse to work if it is not present. But you can replace the original files of several MB size with the tiny dummy DLL's, and the encoder still works.

Quote:
Why is that?
M4A is a subset of the MP4 container which contains useful information about the structure of the AAC audio in its header, which a "raw" AAC audio stream with only ADTS headers partially lacks of. Most of all, the ADTS header is not able to store the channel layout of audio with more than 5.1 channels.

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 20th January 2018 at 19:54.
Old 20th January 2018, 22:04   #75  |  Link
chros

Quote:
No. If you executed the "makeportable" batch file, it would extract all the required DLL's for you into subdirectories (QTFiles + QTFiles64) which only need to exist with qaac.exe or qaac64.exe in the same directory.
Thanks LigH for the detailed instructions! Although it still took me 10 minutes to find where the script is: this post.

Quote:
For encoding only, most of the content in the icudt55.dll is not required. But the file icudt55.dll can't be deleted, the encoder would refuse to work if it is not present. But you can replace the original files of several MB size with the tiny dummy DLL's, and the encoder still works.
It worked liked a charm, thanks!

Quote:
M4A is a subset of the MP4 container which contains useful information about the structure of the AAC audio in its header, which a "raw" AAC audio stream with only ADTS headers partially lacks of. Most of all, the ADTS header is not able to store the channel layout of audio with more than 5.1 channels.
Thanks, OK, then I'll use m4a container.
Old 21st January 2018, 15:29   #76  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Although it still took me 10 minutes to find where the script is...
Or the qaac download (cabinet) page. Or MeGUI\tools\qaac.

New German Gleitz board
Old 29th January 2018, 16:47   #77  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Yes, that's where I found it in the end, thanks.
And I just noticed that the above mentioned BatchEncoder has a thread here on doom9.
Old 12th September 2023, 10:33   #78  |  Link
Bigjackaal48

I must be the few where --Quality 1 helps a few samples since I use "192kbps VBR, -q 1". Oddly even found Damaged & Destroyed by Emil Beaulieau needs --quality 0 to stop ringing/clicks?.
Bigjackaal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2023, 09:42   #79  |  Link
Barough

QAAC v2.80
https://github.com/nu774/qaac/releases/tag/v2.80
Old 28th December 2023, 18:10   #80  |  Link
kentafilo

Hello everyone.
I would need your opinion regarding an audio encoding.
In your opinion, starting from a DTS Master Audio file, if I wanted to transcode it, would I get a better quality file with qaac encoding at vbr 127 kbit/s or with AC3 at CBR 192 kbit/s?
In other words, is it better to encode an audio file with qaac or with AC3?
Thank you.
kentafilo is offline   Reply With Quote