Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st December 2003, 07:09   #1  |  Link
DMagic1

Could help Sony DRU-500 users burn 4X

I have a Sony DRU500a that has always gave me problems burning at 4X with any media brand I tried. The problem was always that it starts at 4X and slows to 2X after a couple of minutes of burning. I usually use RecordNow Max 4.5. I have two 256mb DDR memory sticks(512mb total ) in my machine. They are two different brand name sticks. For some reason today I decided to take one out to see how my burning speed went. To my surprise I burned 3 disk in a row at 4X completely. My system didn't show any sign of memory problems with the two different brands of memory but it appears to be the cause of my Sonys past 4x problems. I went today and got a matching brand of memory and the 4X speed is still all GOOD!

Hope this helps someone else.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 15:28   #2  |  Link
Caedel
Di Immortalis Chief

I was having the similar issues, but in my case it was the media. I was using Ritek (labeled Ridata) 4X discs, but they would only do 2X. Now i have Memorex DVD+R and they 4X with no problems everytime.
Pentium 4 2.26Ghz, Intel 850EMV2L MB, 1024MB PC1066 RDRAM, Prolink Geforce FX 5900, WD 100GB SE, Sony DRU-500A 4X DVD-R 4X DVD+R, Sony 24X CD-RW, Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM, Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe, Bluetooth, Firewire, Lian-Li PC65 Case, 2 Blue & 1 Red Cold Cathode Light, Enermax Power Supply

Things to come: 512MB more RAM (maybe, if the price ever goes down a little more), HT Processor (I wish)

www.desensitized.com
Caedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2003, 04:42   #3  |  Link
DMagic1

Yeah, I know many people with Sony and other brands of burners have problems with Ritek for some reason. Maybe bad batches. Many don't but some do. I have burned successfully at 4x with 4 different DVD-R media. But for some reason the Riteks are not being nice to me.
Old 26th December 2003, 20:20   #4  |  Link
Feoke

For months, I used one Infineon 512MB DDR RAM. 4x burning with my DRU500A worked ok!
Recently I added an Apacer 256 DDR RAM. I made certain that both memory sticks have the same PC- & CL-values. Never had any troubles at burning at 4x speed.

Weird stuff, but if your solution solves the problem, we're all happy again!
Feoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2003, 07:07   #5  |  Link
DMagic1

I never checked those things, so that could have been my problem. One was a Kingston and the other was one without a clear name on it. I just figure that someone else could be having this same problem for the same reason.