Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 28th May 2005, 11:08   #101  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.20 has gone final. I hope I fixed the transparency bug (thanks, Zuggy).
Work will continue on 1.30 beta as feedback comes, and 1.20 will be abandoned if 1.30 works on Win98 and WinME. Please do test anything you can think of and report here if you notice bugs.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 15:50   #102  |  Link
Rumbah

After ripping the subtitles with beta 1.3 I wanted to change the framerate, but everytime I changed it, I got a Invalid class typecast error.
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 16:55   #103  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Thanks for reporting. I fixed it, but will upload a new version once more bugs show up.
Old 30th May 2005, 04:36   #104  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.30 Beta 2 available on the official website. I fixed the bug reported above, plus many similar ones I could find.
Please keep the bug reports coming.

PS: Zuggy, you should update the topic title .
Old 31st May 2005, 05:17   #105  |  Link
Esc

Using 1.30b2.
When I try to open a video, it shows Error message saying "Could not open video file using AviSynth". That's it. All files are simple AVIs, perfectly playable and I can open them in AviSynth using DirectShowSource().
Esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2005, 12:10   #106  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Fixed in 1.30 beta 3. Apparently AviSynth does not support UniCode file names inside .avs scripts .
I use OpenDMLSource for .avi files that can't be opened in native mode and DirectShowSource for others (mpeg, ogm).

Last edited by ai4spam; 31st May 2005 at 12:31.
Old 31st May 2005, 13:03   #107  |  Link
SurfDrifter
Mind Over Matter

Some tiny requests

At first, I'd like to thank you for further developing Subrip.

I have one tiny request that I had asked zuggy some time ago, but at that time he wasn't developing Subrip anymore. I also have a "bug" in a way.

REQ: I would like to have the ability to rip NTSC subtitles to .BMP format and be able to resize them to 720x576 and NOT constrain the size to 720x480.
I'm converting many NTSC DVD's to PAL and this feature will save me a lot of time, because i resize them later on on Photoshop.

BUG: When i convert a .srt file to .stl file, the .stl script file DOESN'T have any headers, just like fontsize, fontname, etc. You can see that in 1.17.1 version the .stl file contains the info when opened on a text editor, whilst in your updates it only contains the subtitles themselves.

Thanks again
Old 31st May 2005, 13:49   #108  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

REQ: It's a feature, not a bug : if a DVD is detected as NTSC, the size is automatically set to 480 instead of 576. I guess I *could* change it, but I'm not sure what it entitles (padding the bitmaps, etc), because I don't know the .stl format well enough. Also, let me to suggest using XnView (www.xnview.com) for batch padding/resizing, it's really easy to use (deffinitely easier than Photoshop).

BUG: I can't reproduce it here. When I open a .srt file, then set the output format to .stl (Spruce subtitle file) and save it, the headers are generated normally:
Code:
//
// Generated by SubRip 1.30b3 on 5/31/2005 8:33:09 AM
//
//Font select and font size
$FontName       = Arial
$FontSize       = 36

//Character attributes (global)
$Bold           = TRUE
$UnderLined     = FALSE
$Italic         = FALSE

//Position Control
$HorzAlign      = Center
$VertAlign      = Bottom
$XOffset        = 0
$YOffset        = 2

//Colors
$ColorIndex1    = 0
$ColorIndex2    = 1
$ColorIndex3    = 2
$ColorIndex4    = 3

//Contrast Control
$Contrast1      = 15
$Contrast2      = 15
$Contrast3      = 15
$Contrast4      = 0

//Effects Control
$ForceDisplay   = FALSE
$FadeIn         = 0
$FadeOut        = 0

//Other Controls
$TapeOffset     = FALSE

//Subtitles
00:02:44:12,00:02:46:02,Are you guys cops!?
Old 31st May 2005, 19:00   #109  |  Link
SurfDrifter
Mind Over Matter

Thank you for the reply.

I checked again v.1.20 and what I did was this. I open an .srt file and since the output format was set before on .stl, it converts "on-the-fly" the script to .stl. At this point I can see the header normally in the text window.

As soos as I select the "Save As" command, the header dissapears!

I'm running on WinXP SP2 AMD 3000+. Strange.

As for the request, it has nothing to do with .stl format, since .stl is text-based format. BMP's are useful with .son and/or sst.

I have resized numerous times the bitmaps, whilst using the same .son script without a problem, so i guess you won't have to deal with the script at all.

Also, I'd like to thank you for the tip, but it's extremly easy also to batch resize in Photoshop too. You just create an action of resize to the desired size and then choose "File>Automate>Batch" selecting the action you want.
Old 31st May 2005, 19:12   #110  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Ah, ok, now I get it. I'll fix it later tonight.
About the request: I'll remove the limit for the bitmap height so that you can set it to your heart's content .
XnView has one more advantage: it's free, which is hardly the case for Photoshop :P.

Last edited by ai4spam; 1st June 2005 at 02:39.
Old 1st June 2005, 03:39   #111  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Ok, I'm confused. I'm doing exactly as you describe, yet the headers are there when I save the file, so I can't reproduce the bug you reported.
Old 1st June 2005, 07:23   #112  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.30 Beta 4 is up on the official website. As hard as I tried, I could not reproduce the bugs reported here and on the official site contact section (missing headers in saved .sst and .stl files).

Changes: fixed old character matrix format import routine: when an old ANSI character matrix is opened, the current CharSet/CodePage is applied to convert the characters from ANSI to UniCode.

Unless serious bugs that I need to fix show up, Zuggy will continue regular maintenance from now on (I don't have the time). He already has some changes on his list. I will concentrate on the VirtualDub subtitle remover filter, and may get back to introduce OCR correction scripts based on regular expressions (like SubtitleWorkshop) into SubRip if I get the time later on.

Again, we could use everyone's help in reporting bugs, updating the translations and maybe writing a guide for the new features.

@SurfDrifter: Sorry, it looks like you're going to have to keep resizing your bitmaps. While it would be possible to allow non-standard sizes, changing it would break too many other things, and it's not trivial.

Last edited by ai4spam; 1st June 2005 at 07:54.
Old 1st June 2005, 12:07   #113  |  Link
SurfDrifter
Mind Over Matter

Thank you for taking time looking at my requests. No problem with the bmps, I'll do it as i was doing it all the time.

As for the header, it seems that there's something happening on my side, so if i could isolate why this happens on my configuration, I'll let you know. For now i could either stick on 1.17.1 or manually add the header.

And again, I'd like to thank you for the time you dedicated for my requests!
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:40   #114  |  Link
NN

Font color bug in 1.30b4 + .idx delay info

Hi,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I've been on holiday the last 2 weeks. I just installed 1.30b4 and my first 3 requests have been implemented (the % character now works). Thanks !

However, 1.30b4 does seem to have a bug when loading .idx/sub files. Both the font color and the background color get set to black (so I can't read them !). My .idx files contain the following color information:

Code:
# The original palette of the DVD
palette: 000000, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, ffffff, 828282, bababa, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282

# Custom colors (transp idxs and the four colors)
custom colors: OFF, tridx: 1000, colors: 000000, bababa, 828282, 000000

For my 5th request (processing delay in .idx files) here is some additinal info (direct copy from the .idx header):

Code:
# VobSub index file, v7 (do not modify this line!)
# 
# To repair desyncronization, you can insert gaps this way:
# (it usually happens after vob id changes)
# 
#	 delay: [sign]hh:mm:ss:ms
# 
# Where:
#	 [sign]: +, - (optional)
#	 hh: hours (0 <= hh)
#	 mm/ss: minutes/seconds (0 <= mm/ss <= 59)
#	 ms: milliseconds (0 <= ms <= 999)
# 
#	 Note: You can't position a sub before the previous with a negative value.
# 
# You can also modify timestamps or delete a few subs you don't like.
# Just make sure they stay in increasing order.
Example of an .idx file with delay:

Code:
# English
id: en, index: 0
# Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
# alt: English
# Vob/Cell ID: 6, 1 (PTS: 7610833)
delay: -02:06:50:700
timestamp: 02:07:04:396, filepos: 000000000
timestamp: 02:07:08:200, filepos: 000001800
Thanks, NN
NN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:44   #115  |  Link
zuggy

Quote:
However, 1.30b4 does seem to have a bug when loading .idx/sub files. Both the font color and the background color get set to black (so I can't read them !). My .idx files contain the following color information:
It's known and will be fixed in next beta.

Quote:
delay: -02:06:50:700
Ok, in next beta.
zuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2005, 19:12   #116  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@NN: Glad you fond the requests solved to your satisfaction . Thanks for the delay example: it looks like the delay is not per file or per subtitle stream, but can appear anywhere and only affects the subtitles appearing after it inside the same stream. The specs are not clear whether delays should be compounded (as in, if present, a second delay should be added to the first or not). I suppose it could go either way, and simplest would be not to compound delays. Have you ever encountered multiple delays in the same stream? Can you help me test the behavior of VobSub/vsFilter with multiple delays (I can't get it to work on my computer)? Basically, put in two 3-second delays a few subtitles apart and see if they're added to each other (resulting in a 6-second delay) or not. Thanks.
I think I can take care of the delay, while Zuggy fixes the blackness bug and some others he found. The new beta will be up in a couple of days.

Last edited by ai4spam; 3rd June 2005 at 19:19.
Old 4th June 2005, 08:39   #117  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.30 Beta 5 is up.
- fixed "black on black" bug
- added experimental support for delays in .idx files; multiple delays are compounded

I couldn't find anywhere what the default behaviour is supposed to be, so if you know for a fact (or by testing in vsFilter, which I can't get to run on my computer) that each delay overwrites the previous one instead of being added to it, please let me know so that I can correct it.

PS: If you downloaded in the first 15 minutes after this post, please re-download, there was a small fix I forgot to put in.

Last edited by ai4spam; 4th June 2005 at 09:03.
Old 4th June 2005, 14:41   #118  |  Link
mpucoder

If you are talking about SP_DCSQ_STM, the delay before executing the commands in one command sequence, then the delay is not compounded, all are in reference to pts.

Last edited by mpucoder; 4th June 2005 at 14:43.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 14:51   #119  |  Link
NN

Hi, I just tried 1.30b5 and the subtitles are gray on black again and the subtitles are adjusted with the delay.

I checked all my .idx files, but the delay is only used to specify the original offset, so I can't tell you if the delay is absolute or relative.

Thanks, NN
NN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 16:23   #120  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@mpucoder: Thanks for your reply. No, I'm talking about the "delay" lines in .idx files as mentioned by NN above (taken from VobSub, not from a DVD). They specify a time offset for subsequent subtitles. The problem is that the behaviour for multiple delays is not defined anywhere. So, if there is only one delay per subtitle stream, it will work, but if there are multiple delays, I may have gotten the wrong way of dealing with them. Maybe Gabest never thought of multiple delays, but there's nothing preventing anyone from using them, and we should deal with them accordingly. If this is the case (Gabest never intended them to be used multiple times), then the behaviour should probably be NOT compounding delays, so my current approach is wrong. Some simple testing as below (which I am unable to perform) or looking at the vsFilter source should solve the "mystery".

@NN: Thanks for testing. Can you please try what I suggested: edit a VobSub .idx file manually (in NotePad), put 2 separate delays of 3 seconds each a few subtitles apart, then watch the movie and tell me if the total delay in the subtitles after the second delay line is only 3 seconds (so delays are not added to each other) or 6 seconds (delays are added/compounded)? Thanks.

Last edited by ai4spam; 5th June 2005 at 01:12.