Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 2nd March 2006, 08:21   #281  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
encoding_time/audio_duration
But what does that ratio signify? The only thing I can imagine that would make some sense is indicating a X times realtime indicator. Also, wouldn't it be possible to have a progress indicator even in the first pass? I mean, you should be able to get the track length from avisynth, should you not?
Old 2nd March 2006, 09:40   #282  |  Link
berrinam

From the AviSynth documentation for the 'Normalize' filter:
Quote:
The calculation of the peak value is done the first time the audio is requested, so there will be some seconds until AviSynth continues.
So the first pass is done all at one point, so MeGUI can't really get any indication of the progress at any point.
Old 2nd March 2006, 09:48   #283  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
The only thing I can imagine that would make some sense is indicating a X times realtime indicator.
Yes, i think it's good to have such information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I mean, you should be able to get the track length from avisynth, should you not?
Yes, I can get he track length from avisynth, no problem here (actually I can get samplerate and samplecount -> i can transform it to duration )
Old 6th March 2006, 08:21   #284  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

MAke it so the source analyser uses "idle" system resources. I have it set to analyse the whole clip. when doing so I noticed that it sucks up all my CPU. Can you make it idle like virtualdub or x264 does while encoding? Thanks
Old 6th March 2006, 10:09   #285  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

I'd like to have crf mode save stats files. It's possible by custom commandline but it wouldn't hurt encoding at all to just save it by default.

The larger issue, 2-pass based on crf, is quite complex because you can't write the second job until you have the bitrate of the first, so no need for that. I go by "if the crf is good enough keep it, otherwise run a second pass to squeeze more quality out". It's slower but I don't always run the second, plus it's a less arbitrary bitrate target.
Old 6th March 2006, 20:40   #286  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

2nd req: Can Exhaustive mode be removed from megui? (Whether or not it's removed from normal x264.) I doubt there's any purpose in leaving it in there in megui, when people will see it and think a slower encoding mode will improve quality. (When it's only infintesimally better than umh.) For backups and normal encoding it has no place at all.
Old 6th March 2006, 21:05   #287  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
2nd req: Can Exhaustive mode be removed from megui? (Whether or not it's removed from normal x264.) I doubt there's any purpose in leaving it in there in megui, when people will see it and think a slower encoding mode will improve quality. (When it's only infintesimally better than umh.) For backups and normal encoding it has no place at all.
The option should still be left available to those who wish to use it. Even if it is a small difference some people are interested in the absolute best quality.
Old 6th March 2006, 21:10   #288  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

We just need to make sure the default profiles based on it. I have a feeling 90% of users stick to Sharktooth's settings, and the ones who don't are on their own
Old 6th March 2006, 21:14   #289  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

People can copy it into the command line if they need it that badly. I'm not sure why they'd use megui if they need something like esa.
Old 7th March 2006, 00:58   #290  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
People can copy it into the command line if they need it that badly. I'm not sure why they'd use megui if they need something like esa.
ease of use. I use megui for that reason. I could do everything by hand but I prefer being able to quickly change my settings.
Old 7th March 2006, 01:21   #291  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

In the other thread I suggested renaming it debug, which could dissuade people who think it provides a noticeable jump in quality, like moving up from dia or hex to umh. How about doing that instead?
Old 7th March 2006, 01:38   #292  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
In the other thread I suggested renaming it debug, which could dissuade people who think it provides a noticeable jump in quality, like moving up from dia or hex to umh. How about doing that instead?
Yeah but like I said earlier. what is the point. it technically can provide better quality. pengvado said that the others sometimes beat it but not always. it's technically the best one you can use. we should just leave it as is. It's still useable and not really a debug mode.

It was also pointed out that most people just use the profiles as is. Which is the truth. the only people using it are people who know what it does.
Old 7th March 2006, 05:49   #293  |  Link
berrinam

I agree that it is just a debug mode and it would discourage people from using it if it was removed from MeGUI. I agree that there a quite a few people who think they should enable everything, and then complain about how slow it is.

However, MeGUI is the only GUI at the moment which supports all of x264's features, and I don't think that we should give up on that, just for the sake of better user choices.

I think the only bridge between these two problems is some form of warning the user that it is pointless. However, I think the beginning user will just ignore any such warning, so it comes down to the choice between limiting the program and trusting the users, and I prefer to trust the users, as long as they are given a warning.
Old 7th March 2006, 05:52   #294  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
MAke it so the source analyser uses "idle" system resources. I have it set to analyse the whole clip. when doing so I noticed that it sucks up all my CPU. Can you make it idle like virtualdub or x264 does while encoding? Thanks
What do other people think about the best way to manage this? I personally don't want mine to run on 'idle', because I want it to have priority over background tasks. I could put a choice somewhere, but where? Settings?
Old 7th March 2006, 05:52   #295  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
<Two requests about crf mode>
Added to the list.
Old 7th March 2006, 06:35   #296  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
What do other people think about the best way to manage this? I personally don't want mine to run on 'idle', because I want it to have priority over background tasks. I could put a choice somewhere, but where? Settings?
The source analyser settings. That would make sense to have it there. I like having it on idle just so my computer doesn't have a cow checking email while analysing a long source.
Old 7th March 2006, 06:36   #297  |  Link
berrinam

Yeah, I think that's probably the best place, but still.... is it really necessary?

Just out of interest, how long does it take to analyse a long source?
Old 7th March 2006, 06:58   #298  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Yeah, I think that's probably the best place, but still.... is it really necessary?

Just out of interest, how long does it take to analyse a long source?
29 mins === approx 1 hour per pass.
Old 7th March 2006, 07:06   #299  |  Link
berrinam

So much? I just timed on a whole DVD, and it took me 2 minutes and 11 seconds.

1. Do you have a slow/hi-res input?
2. Have you changed the settings for source detection, so it analyses more than 1% of the film?
Old 7th March 2006, 07:10   #300  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

I have it analysing 100% of the film. that's why it takes so long. but I'm just being thurough.
Closed Thread