Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd June 2013, 08:50   #2061  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its very well possible that Handbrakes settings are not optimized for the new presets in Haswell yet, i wouldn't jump to conclusions too early.
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:14   #2062  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
The few who care about advanced madVR scaling algorithms (such as Jinc and the anti-ringing filters for Lanczos) may need to fork out for a discrete GPU

But this refers to 4600, we know 5200 is double stronger than 4600.

Last edited by wanezhiling; 3rd June 2013 at 09:23.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:28   #2063  |  Link
ryrynz

Yup, the 4600 will be adequate for lanczos as even the HD 3000 has no issues there, Jinc will probably be still a bit too demanding for some content though. But yeah the Iris Pro (HD 5200) is what I'm interested in too.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:57   #2064  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
the Iris Pro (HD 5200) is what I'm interested in too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell...ile_processors
4750HQ 4850HQ 4950HQ
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:06   #2065  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
Can't really put a mobile CPU into your HTPC.
The 4770R would be interesting, if they sell it soldered on a ITX board without a whole PC around it.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:31   #2066  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
Conclusion:
For laptops and power consumption aware desktop users, I would definitely suggest D3D11 use instead of D3D9 use of QuickSync decoder.
If you've reached your conclusion based upon DXVA checker benchmarks, then let me correct you if I may.
You should check power and CPU utilization/speed at normal playback speeds. DXVA checker tries running at full speed which doesn't matter for playback.
Even for transcoding, your conclusion is a little hasty. You need to sum up the power used for the entire clip in both cases and see which one is better. Looking the power draw alone is not enough as D3D9 will finish much sooner.
Intel Corp.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:32   #2067  |  Link
CiNcH

I read that with Haswell, the Display Controller also moved to the CPU. This could mean that we now have a common clock for audio (HDMI) and video!? It is quite an improvement that the video clock can now achieve an accurate 23.976Hz. This does not help a bit though if the audio resp. the DirectShow graph clock is off. Because the real problem has never been the inaccurate video clock but the deviation between audio/graph and video clock...

Last edited by CiNcH; 3rd June 2013 at 16:17.
CiNcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:42   #2068  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

The digital display interfaces moved to the system agent (north bridge) within the processor instead of being transferred to via the DMI bus to the PCH. This is more efficient but as for the audio clock, I don't know.
Intel Corp.
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:57   #2069  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its very well possible that Handbrakes settings are not optimized for the new presets in Haswell yet, i wouldn't jump to conclusions too early.
QS quality in Handbrake beta is not as good on an HD4000 as other implementations (Nero Recode, Arcsoft Media Converter, Media Coder). These implementations vary in quality, too, so I think there's probably a lot of tweaking that needs to happen to get the best results out of QS. Intel is reportedly working closely with the Handbrake team, so I'd expect improvements in future betas.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 16:44   #2070  |  Link
Yups

Quote:

Iris Pro 5200 (55W) didn't catch the target that Intel put, Nvidia 650M.
Actually it didn't catch even 640.

According to anandtech they matched this target. Anand tested a 900/2500 GDDR5 650M. So they should match a 800 Mhz 650M with DDR3 memory. GT640 on the desktop side is difficult to say because its competitor will be a 65W BGA GT3e.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 16:47   #2071  |  Link
Yups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
QS quality in Handbrake beta is not as good on an HD4000 as other implementations (Nero Recode, Arcsoft Media Converter, Media Coder). These implementations vary in quality, too, so I think there's probably a lot of tweaking that needs to happen to get the best results out of QS. Intel is reportedly working closely with the Handbrake team, so I'd expect improvements in future betas.

This is absolutely wrong. Handbrake QS quality is top notch for Ivy Bridge. I did lots of tests. As for Haswell there might be some issues with the new presets.

Last edited by Yups; 4th June 2013 at 16:49.
Old 5th June 2013, 01:55   #2072  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yups View Post
This is absolutely wrong. Handbrake QS quality is top notch for Ivy Bridge. I did lots of tests. As for Haswell there might be some issues with the new presets.
I guess I'll have to do additional testing with different source files. The three files I transcoded in the various apps had many more visible artifacts with Handbrake QS.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 11:05   #2073  |  Link
wanezhiling

Haswell family

Why separately name Iris Pro 5200 family Crystal Well o.O
Old 5th June 2013, 12:13   #2074  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
If you've reached your conclusion based upon DXVA checker benchmarks, then let me correct you if I may.
You should check power and CPU utilization/speed at normal playback speeds. DXVA checker tries running at full speed which doesn't matter for playback.
Even for transcoding, your conclusion is a little hasty. You need to sum up the power used for the entire clip in both cases and see which one is better. Looking the power draw alone is not enough as D3D9 will finish much sooner.
Sorry for the late response. I was really busy the last few days...

For me benchmarking with DXVA Checker exposes the potential of the hardware and has only one real use, transcoding, because it uses hardware at its limits - like benchmarking.

The other real use is normal playback of course - more important to me.

Well, during normal playback DXVA native and DXVA copy-back are by far the most power-efficient solutions.

QS decoder power efficiency during playback is almost the same for various clips I tried under both situations - D3D11 and D3D9.

So, it seems that the real advantage of D3D11 is the headless, no fake display use of QS decoder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yups View Post
According to anandtech they matched this target. Anand tested a 900/2500 GDDR5 650M. So they should match a 800 Mhz 650M with DDR3 memory. GT640 on the desktop side is difficult to say because its competitor will be a 65W BGA GT3e.
It is true that Anand tested the best variant of 650M, but the difference in games is big enough to not be covered by GT3e using a little lower clocked 650M with DDR3 memory - we have to see real numbers of course.

Iris Pro 5200 tested by Anand is inside a mobile CPU with lower TDP than desktop, but I think that the special version used in benchmarks of 55W is the top-performer GT3e that anyone could use regardless of Desktop-Mobile CPU package.

Eric could tell us more about that...
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 14:32   #2075  |  Link
itsonlyjustincase

I have a question to all ? Do people with a laptop with win8 and sandy or ivy bridge coupled with discrete GPU has tested it ?

Cause the last version of the intel drivers was supposed to permit to use intel quick sync technology even if the iGPU isn't used. But in my case when the dGPU is used the possibility to use quicksync through lav filters disappears
itsonlyjustincase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 15:39   #2076  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Haswell family

Why separately name Iris Pro 5200 family Crystal Well o.O
CrystalWell is the code name for the EDRAM chip itself.
The combined name for GT3+EDRAM is Iris Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyjustincase View Post
I have a question to all ? Do people with a laptop with win8 and sandy or ivy bridge coupled with discrete GPU has tested it ?

Cause the last version of the intel drivers was supposed to permit to use intel quick sync technology even if the iGPU isn't used. But in my case when the dGPU is used the possibility to use quicksync through lav filters disappears
I didn't get any feedback except yours. No problems with Win8 on desktop.
Intel Corp.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:08   #2077  |  Link
wanezhiling

Thanks Eric.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/76087,76086,76085
I noticed that Max Memory Bandwidth of these three models is 76.8GB/s, and all other Haswell models(even 4770R) are 25.6GB/s. Is it true?
Old 5th June 2013, 16:22   #2078  |  Link
Yups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I guess I'll have to do additional testing with different source files. The three files I transcoded in the various apps had many more visible artifacts with Handbrake QS.

Arcsoft is crap to be honest. High profile isn't possible and I can't even choose the preset. It must be the balanced or speed preset. Quality preset not possible.

Quote:
It is true that Anand tested the best variant of 650M, but the difference in games is big enough to not be covered by GT3e using a little lower clocked 650M with DDR3 memory - we have to see real numbers of course.

Iris Pro 5200 tested by Anand is inside a mobile CPU with lower TDP than desktop, but I think that the special version used in benchmarks of 55W is the top-performer GT3e that anyone could use regardless of Desktop-Mobile CPU package.

Eric could tell us more about that...
GDDR5 makes quite a big difference. See how the GT640 performs.

GT650M 900/2500 GDDR5
GT 640 925/1700 DDR3

Despite having the slightly faster GPU GT640 loses by a good margin. Except BF3 Iris Pro isn't much slower than a GT640 925/1700. On this basis I would say Iris Pro should match a 800 Mhz 650M with DDR3. As for the 65W model Iris Pro is clearly TDP limited in a 47W power envelope, 55W Iris Pro runs 10% or so faster. 65W Iris Pro for desktop could be even faster slightly.

Last edited by Yups; 6th June 2013 at 11:55.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:43   #2079  |  Link
itsonlyjustincase

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
CrystalWell is the code name for the EDRAM chip itself.
The combined name for GT3+EDRAM is Iris Pro.

I didn't get any feedback except yours. No problems with Win8 on desktop.
That's what i was doubting. Okay so i think that as you may have previously pointed out, Optimus disables entirely iGPU when dGPU is forced. So as for sure Nvidia won't do anything about it, i won't be able to use it in that way
itsonlyjustincase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 16:51   #2080  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/76087,76086,76085
I noticed that Max Memory Bandwidth of these three models is 76.8GB/s, and all other Haswell models(even 4770R) are 25.6GB/s. Is it true?
The EDRAM is a L4 Cache, which means it can boost memory bandwidth.

Tags
ffdshow, h264, intel, mpeg2, quicksync, vc1, zoom player