Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 2nd September 2003, 19:37   #1  |  Link
Kurosu

SmoothUV bug report

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreassica
Id be gratefull if u "unbroke" radi higher as 4, cuz i still can use those with some clever tweaking of the settings, since i do use it for extremely noisy anime sources. I didnt see any Maintain diffweight- ish parameter in the filter as well. Any reason for that?
Its definitely faster for me as smothhiq was, now a yv12 tempsmoother and im totally happy..

BTW it does work fine in qmf, i just jumped to conclusions too fast.
1) Are the radius (radiuses? radii?) higher than 4 really broken? I've tested 5 and 6 which use a different processing, and I couldn't see any problem where I would have expected them.
If you are talking of the fact radius higher than 7 can't be selected, then this is intended. I don't plan to had radius 7 (that's already a 15x15 kernel) because it's too much hassle for the benefit over radius 6, and it would only be used for that very case.

2) I wrote on my page that it was a simplistic remake of smartsmoother. I've added a part which makes it of higher quality but not HiQ
if you properly read the page once again, you'll see the booleans HQY and HQC activate the hiqh quality mode for respectively Y channel and U,V channels. To go deeper into details, it almost works like msmooth: it calculates a local edge value for the current pixel and plane processed, and decrease accordingly the weigh of the smartsmoothed pixel. That leads us to the parameter "strength": the higher it is, the more you'll keep the smartsmoothed version and keep the original. This strength is dynamically modified by edge value in HQ mode: the higher the edge, the less the smartsmoother pixel will be used. The current setting makes it worth for anime I bet, as it is very sensitive to edge:
new strength = input strength - 4*edge value
Check by yourself how the HQ mode changes the output (strength isn't used in none-HQ mode).

3) tempsmoother? Like the one in the old mpeg2dec? temporalsoften isn't sufficient ?
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2003, 20:07   #2  |  Link
Dreassica

from the readme that came with the filter: Radii > 4 (ie 5 and up) are busted. I leave them available for you to check
but consider that a radius of 4 produces a 9x9 convolution kernel. It should
be pretty sufficient for most uses.

Thtas why i was asking it, but if u say it doesnt pose any problems to use them, i'll beleive ur word for it. as for radii 7+ i wasnt really talking about those, more likr 5,6. Any higher would be useless.

I did mean ol tempsmother from mpeg2dec.dll, i tried Tsoften on it, result werent really satisfactory, didnt clean up the noise well. Tempsmoother still does a better job i think on it.
Dreassica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2003, 21:16   #3  |  Link
Kurosu

OK, bug found. Located in "SSmooth.txt" file
Updated package together with a 1.4 version, where radius 7 is added, and HQ mode for radius > 4 really does something (wasn't previously).
Old 2nd September 2003, 21:59   #4  |  Link
Dreassica

I f i set luma radius 4 or higher i get artifacts in some frames, which arent there if i set itt lower than 4.

ps u ned to paste the link in a browser, clicking wont work.

Last edited by Dreassica; 2nd September 2003 at 22:02.
Dreassica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2003, 22:42   #5  |  Link
Kurosu

I *may* have found the bug, but that means there are many filters where it is, so I'm updating them at the same time.