Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2017, 10:38   #21  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I don't know. Decoding a frame relies on previous frames. I don't know whether this is before or after applying global_gain.
I don't understand the exact workings of it either, but I've applied fade-ins and fade-outs to MP3s with Mp3DirectCut countless times without re-encoding, and whatever the type of voodoo required, the "not having to re-encode part" has always fallen under my definition of a lossless volume adjustment.
The fact you can edit MP3s without re-encoding by cutting, copying and pasting frames (Mp3DirectCut) seems to imply global_gain would be applied after decoding, but I don't know how any dependency on previous frames would be effected. Then again, maybe that's what sometimes causes an audible high pitched "glitch" sound (for want of a better description) when MP3's are edited that way? Often if cutting part of an MP3 causes it to happen, adjusting the cut points a little will prevent it, or at least reduce the effect enough for it to be to be inaudible.

Quote:
I don't understand the question.
Likewise, I don't understand why you said the MP3 Gain field in the header isn't reserved for global_gain or APEv2 as though I'd claimed it was.

Quote:
I highly doubt that.
Hopefully Asmodian will return and provide more details on the flag to which he referred.

Last edited by hello_hello; 25th August 2017 at 19:49.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote