Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd March 2016, 14:03   #37021  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...81#post1721881

If we are talking about the same adaptive Sharpen. The author recommends gamma light as input.

I'm sorry my initial posts stated "linear light" its gamma light
I'm feeding gamma light to the shader.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 16:36   #37022  |  Link
XTrojan

Anyone noticing some aliasing/artifacting with Super-Xbr 150 Doubling from 1080->2160p?

Last edited by XTrojan; 22nd March 2016 at 17:08.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:13   #37023  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah makes sense. He'll be able to take care of that when madshi adds Vapoursynth support. Once that's done many often used filters could make their way into the options without hassle.. we'd basically have a mini ffdshow inside madVR.
Its the second time that i read someone talking about madshi adds vapoursynth support on madvr but i never read madshi talking about this... is this true? Madshi have this on mind to madvr future?
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:42   #37024  |  Link
XMonarchY

VapourSynth? As in Disappearing Features?
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:52   #37025  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
Anyone noticing some aliasing/artifacting with Super-Xbr 150 Doubling from 1080->2160p?
ringing at lot of it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 18:10   #37026  |  Link
dansrfe

@madshi

Turning off exclusive mode and keeping to overlay prevents the OpenCL crash from happening. No frames are dropped so I think I'll keep it on overlay only.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 18:55   #37027  |  Link
aufkrawall

Radeon R9 390 on Windows 10:
The queues don't seem to get filled nicely in fullscreen or borderless mode and so frames drop. When I keep an UI element of the player opened, playback is fine.
Is this a known problem? Used driver is Crimson 16.3.1.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:54   #37028  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Radeon R9 390 on Windows 10:
The queues don't seem to get filled nicely in fullscreen or borderless mode and so frames drop. When I keep an UI element of the player opened, playback is fine.
Is this a known problem? Used driver is Crimson 16.3.1.
Typical driver problem probably, usually power saving features? There is a power mode switch thing since 16.3

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:56   #37029  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
ringing at lot of it.
yeah with my current settings sxbr definitely doesn't work anymore due to excessive ringing so I stick to NNEDI3 for lores and NEDI for 720p@1080p, hopefully next build with the improved AR will be a game changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
vapoursynth support on madvr but i never read madshi talking about this... is this true?
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewto...d=53211#p53211

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
what is "EE"?
Edge Enhancement
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 20:14   #37030  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
Typical driver problem probably, usually power saving features? There is a power mode switch thing since 16.3
I'm already using that switch since frametime quality in games else suffers.

However, I found out what was causing the madVR problem for me:
MSI Afterburner, or to be more precise: a certain setting of it.
I disabled low level driver access, since I thought it would help to prevent compatibility issues. But the opposite is true: After enabling low level driver access with user-mode driver, the queue issue disappeared.
They get nicely filled now.

The R9 390 definitely offers a lot of performance for NNEDI3, it seems to be easily competing with a GTX 980 OC.
It seems my 390 is stable with -100mV undervoltage, which keeps it very quiet, combined with a custom fan curve.
Seems like a good deal if much NNEDI3 and SuperRes bang is needed for few bucks.
Edit: Got a MSI R9 390 Gaming.

Last edited by aufkrawall; 22nd March 2016 at 20:20.
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:27   #37031  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
super-xbr100 + AR with SuperRes doesn't ring a whole lot. I used to use a setting of 150, but the extra detail seemed less important than the added ringing. super-xbr is already very sharp at 100.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:42   #37032  |  Link
aufkrawall

With cartoons, the ringing of super-xbr 100 is very obvious and SuperRes makes it even worse. However, this might change when madshi introduces Hylian's improved anti-ringing filter.
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:15   #37033  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Its the second time that i read someone talking about madshi adds vapoursynth support on madvr but i never read madshi talking about this... is this true? Madshi have this on mind to madvr future?
madshi has expressed interest in doing so, I expect it'll be a nearer to 1.0 feature. He doesn't tend to disclose his feature work list.. but it does make a lot of sense to add support for Avisynth/Vapoursynth plugins considering where madVR positions itself in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
VapourSynth? As in Disappearing Features?
A whole boat load of features..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:33   #37034  |  Link
cork_OS

@madshi

Hello.
According to this thread, madVR seems to be generally used for rendering modern high-bitrate HD video, including 4k & 3D.
Instead, I'm watching a lot of old MPEG-2 & H.263 encoded video. Such video often suffers from blocking, ringing/mosquito noise, aliasing or improper deinterlace.
madVR already contain some filters to improve such video (SuperRes, sharpen filters), but it would be great to see even more video processing and enhancing options in madVR (EDIT: including AVS/VS plugins support, as alternative).
Since improving old videos isn't main madVR goal, could you please tell, are adding deblocking/de-mosquitoing/anti-aliasing filters etc. possible/planned at all?
Thanks for your work!
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:55   #37035  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
madVR already contain some filters to improve such video (SuperRes, sharpen filters), but it would be great to see even more video processing and enhancing options in madVR (EDIT: including AVS/VS plugins support, as alternative).
I just covered this a few posts back at the top of the page. At this point you can use Avisynth and ffdshow to achieve what you want, so either read about about how to set that up or sit back and wait.
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:32   #37036  |  Link
bluechris

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Do you have them always, or only sometimes? Always right from the start of the movie? Or does it start after some minutes of playback?
Sorry for the late reply but yes it happens always.
bluechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:06   #37037  |  Link
Anima123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
@madshi

Hello.
According to this thread, madVR seems to be generally used for rendering modern high-bitrate HD video, including 4k & 3D.
Instead, I'm watching a lot of old MPEG-2 & H.263 encoded video. Such video often suffers from blocking, ringing/mosquito noise, aliasing or improper deinterlace.
Since improving old videos isn't main madVR goal, could you please tell, are adding deblocking/de-mosquitoing/anti-aliasing filters etc. possible/planned at all?
Thanks for your work!
I would like to second that.

There's one thing that I'd like to cite, although technologies has been advanced to HD-video, 3D, H265 etc., a lot of my favored contents are still SD, with a lot of such artefacts as mentioned by cork_OS.

It really would be very zealous features for us, if madshi can considering adding, at least some of these, post-processing features to madVR, in an appropriate time.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:24   #37038  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
I would like to second that.

There's one thing that I'd like to cite, although technologies has been advanced to HD-video, 3D, H265 etc., a lot of my favored contents are still SD, with a lot of such artefacts as mentioned by cork_OS.

It really would be very zealous features for us, if madshi can considering adding, at least some of these, post-processing features to madVR, in an appropriate time.
Heh, a few of my favourite comedies are essentially 288p/25 because they were poorly converted from 576i/25 in post-production. I often wonder how much better they'd look if I manually stripped out every other line from the source and reconstructed them with an algorithm like NNEDI3.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 03:26   #37039  |  Link
Mano

what is the latest stable AMD driver for madvr? is it still 13.2?
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 05:12   #37040  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano View Post
what is the latest stable AMD driver for madvr? is it still 13.2?
AFAIA they're all stable as long as you're not deinterlacing. I've seen most recommend 13.12 still, It takes a few minutes to test so why not just update to the latest crimson
and if there's any issues then just post about them? Can't have people asking about what works every time a new driver is released.

Last edited by ryrynz; 23rd March 2016 at 05:34.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling