Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 10th May 2017, 15:04   #201  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinterf View Post
For speed: if a script is using mt_lutxy, it cannot always use fast lookup tables for memory reasons.
Above 12 bits mt_lutxy calculates the expression realtime, pixel-by-pixel, which is slooooow (unlike Expr in VapourSynth).
For the specific bit depths at which realtime expression evaluation kicks in, see masktools2 readme ("feature matrix" section) or the wiki.

Memory? On modern computer, x64 enabled, it shouldn't be a problem anymore. As I am a programming ignorant, could you explain more?

Size... that matter has no answer yet.
Old 10th May 2017, 15:21   #202  |  Link
pinterf

Set realtime=false manually for a 16 bit lutxy. On x64 it can work with plenty of memory. Lut size is 8 gbyte, even the initial lut calc is a minute I guess. Over a specific clip length it would be faster however.
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 21:04   #203  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Set realtime=false manually for a 16 bit lutxy. On x64 it can work with plenty of memory. Lut size is 8 gbyte, even the initial lut calc is a minute I guess. Over a specific clip length it would be faster however.
How about calculating each term when required, then putting it in the lut for the next time those x and y values crop up?

Of course you'd need more memory to store whether or not a particular value was already in the lut, unless you can determine an "illegal" value beforehand. The additional checks would make it slightly slower than a full lut, but at least you wouldn't have to wait for the whole table to be generated before you got results.
Old 10th May 2017, 21:12   #204  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
How about calculating each term when required, then putting it in the lut for the next time those x and y values crop up?

Of course you'd need more memory to store whether or not a particular value was already in the lut, unless you can determine an "illegal" value beforehand. The additional checks would make it slightly slower than a full lut, but at least you wouldn't have to wait for the whole table to be generated before you got results.
Now we need 8.5GB per lut.
Old 11th May 2017, 05:51   #205  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
Now we need 8.5GB per lut.
That's why your computer has 4 memory slots
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 09:15   #206  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Let's for a moment forget speed. There is an explanation for that. Size i.e. noise reduction in the culprit of issue. Why 16 bit is so inefficient?
Old 11th May 2017, 11:14   #207  |  Link
dlnm

Sorry if I post in the wrong thread.
May I ask where I can find the x64 version of RemapFrames 0.4.1?
It seems the link in the wiki (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B) is not valid anymore.
Thank you.
dlnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 15:49   #208  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Let's for a moment forget speed. There is an explanation for that. Size i.e. noise reduction in the culprit of issue. Why 16 bit is so inefficient?
If you're using prefilter, I'm pretty sure MinMax isn't doing what it's supposed to do -- which will result in weird results. It hasn't been ported to 16-bit. It doesn't crash but threats the data as 8-bit.

That could explain what you're seeing in terms of high bit-rate.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 16:10   #209  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
If you're using prefilter, I'm pretty sure MinMax isn't doing what it's supposed to do -- which will result in weird results. It hasn't been ported to 16-bit. It doesn't crash but threats the data as 8-bit.

That could explain what you're seeing in terms of high bit-rate.

I use prefilter=4
Old 11th May 2017, 17:23   #210  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

I'm pretty sure smdegrain (at least the current one) feed minblur with an 8bit clip.
Old 11th May 2017, 22:28   #211  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
this is what pinterf said back then

Quote:
There's no reason to get identical results.
For 16 bit input, even if the original clip is 8 bits and its straight 16 bit conversion has zero lsb, the lower resolution subclips in Super are already interpolated and have meaningful lsb parts.
So the vectors after MAnalyze are possibly different than it would be estimated from a single 8 bit source.
Then the weighting and blending inside MDegrain works with higher precision than for a 8 bit input. That is a difference, too.
and this

Quote:
Indeed, when I alt-tabbed the 8 bit and 10+ bit result, the 10+ bit version possibly found better motion vectors than 8 bits, I saw less orphaned countour lines and remnants from previous frames.
Old 11th May 2017, 23:23   #212  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlnm View Post
Sorry if I post in the wrong thread.
May I ask where I can find the x64 version of RemapFrames 0.4.1?
It seems the link in the wiki (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B) is not valid anymore.
Thank you.
Yes, link is dead and I couldn't find the file anywhere else. So, I have taken cretindesalpes' last update to the code of RemapFrames from here, updated it to AVS2.6 interface and built 32 and 64 bit versions. I tested them very briefly, let me know how it goes.

Link is in my signature.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 11th May 2017 at 23:26.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 15:56   #213  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
For speed: if a script is using mt_lutxy, it cannot always use fast lookup tables for memory reasons.
Above 12 bits mt_lutxy calculates the expression realtime, pixel-by-pixel, which is slooooow (unlike Expr in VapourSynth).
For the specific bit depths at which realtime expression evaluation kicks in, see masktools2 readme ("feature matrix" section) or the wiki.
Why is the VapourSynth-version faster?

Quote:
Don't know if it already is, but couldn't the LUT calculation be quite easily multithreaded?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 16:07   #214  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Why is the VapourSynth-version faster?

Don't know if it already is, but couldn't the LUT calculation be quite easily multithreaded?
1. Because on x86 it converts the expression to native SSE2 code and does all calculations in floating point. Including some optimizations like pre-calculating constant parts of the expression and other fun stuff.

2. If your LUT has that many values a LUT is a generally bad idea.
Old 15th May 2017, 22:26   #215  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
1. Because on x86 it converts the expression to native SSE2 code and does all calculations in floating point. Including some optimizations like pre-calculating constant parts of the expression and other fun stuff.
Or, to explain it with a few more words: writing a runtime RPN expression evaluator in C++ is pretty trivial and a ton of CS undergrad students have been subjected to it as an exercise. It's easy to write but if you want to put it in a video filter it gets really slow since the expression has to be re-evaluated for every pixel value, and the runtime expression evaluator is a pretty hefty bit of code compared to the tiny bits of math that you're actually writing in the RPN expression.

The expr filter in VS isn't like that. The expr filter in VS is (on x86) a fully-fledged, optimizing just-in-time compiler that takes your RPN expression and compiles it to SSE2-optimized native code. When I say "optimizing" I mean it does things like optimize out constant parts of the expression so they don't have to be re-calculated for each pixel, including optimizing out immutable conditionals so you can avoid branching where possible. It also does auto-vectorization, so the compiled code loads, processes and stores four pixels at a time (since XMM registers are 128 bits wide and it works with 32-bit floats internally). In other words, its performance is on the same level as if you had written the equivalent of your RPN expression in C, compiled it as a plugin and used that instead of mt_lut.

8 GB LUT's are almost definitely slow as molasses in comparison. Memory bandwidth isn't free.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 22:42   #216  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
The expr filter in VS isn't like that. The expr filter in VS is (on x86)
Why not on x64 as well?

Quote:
a fully-fledged, optimizing just-in-time compiler that takes your RPN expression and compiles it to SSE2-optimized native code.
Is it based on some other piece of open-source software?

My rgba_rpn plugin does something similar, but using the x87 FPU. I'm wondering now if I should move to SSE2 instead. It certainly isn't crazy-optimal, although I've done my best, and it can do a lot more than expr can.

It's too complex to warrant vectorization, but if there's any interest/need I'd be willing to look into crafting something similar to VS's expr - I was going to provide it as an alias, anyway, but if people would find it really useful it might be worth writing something more optimal for those specific requirements.
Old 15th May 2017, 23:24   #217  |  Link
TheFluff

By x86 I meant x86_64 too. VS can be compiled for other archs as well though, but for those there's no JIT compilation.

It uses jitasm to actually do the compilation but all the code generation/optimization is mainly Myrsloik's and dubhater's work AFAIK.

Last edited by TheFluff; 16th May 2017 at 00:15.
Old 17th May 2017, 22:10   #218  |  Link
ajp_anton

What I meant was: why can't the Avisynth version be as fast as VS? Anything preventing the use of the same code?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 22:25   #219  |  Link
TheFluff

I... don't think so? It's a fairly simple filter, so feel free to go hog wild
Old 18th May 2017, 20:41   #220  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

I'm trying to think about updating my plugin to handle all the new colour spaces. I've been reading this:

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...postcount=2484

as a reference and I'm wondering about using the new stuff like ComponentCount() - what happens if I make use of that in my code, but then someone still runing AviSynth 2.6 tries to use it? Will it fail? Is there a "best way" to code for this to maintain compatability?