Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th August 2010, 01:12   #21  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Impressions after some light testing:

- SSA, ASS, PGS subtitles don't work (in MKV)
- Stuttering when opening videos, disappears after a few seconds. Sometimes it happens after a seek too
- MKV default flags are ignored
- MP4 files hang MPC without displaying a single frame
- Needs an option for "No subtitles", like Haali

ffdshow as decoder.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 07:13   #22  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
- SSA, ASS, PGS subtitles don't work (in MKV)
Subtitles haven't been tested extensively, i know that TEXT subtitles work, although i thought i saw PGS work as well.
I don't usually watch stuff with subtitles, do you have a sample with ASS and/or SSA? They seem to only really be used with animes, some area of videos that i don't watch and/or have at all.
Edit: nvm, i found a ssa sample on some matroska page.

Quote:
- Stuttering when opening videos, disappears after a few seconds. Sometimes it happens after a seek too
I saw that too occasionally. I might have an idea whats causing this and how to fix it, but i'm not 100% sure. It never was really extreme for me that it would really annoy me. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
- MKV default flags are ignored
Like i said in an earlier post, smart selection of streams is not implement yet. It'll just pick the first stream of every type.
Once thats implemented it'll respect default and forced flags in addition to language priorities. Hopefully everything in a sane manner.

Quote:
- MP4 files hang MPC without displaying a single frame
What video codec? What audio codec? Sample?
I tested on some MP4 with h264 video, not sure what audio codec was in there, though.

Quote:
- Needs an option for "No subtitles", like Haali
Indeed, i wanted to get this in the last version, but it somehow slipped by.

Thanks for your testing.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 16th August 2010 at 09:11.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 08:11   #23  |  Link
liquidskin76

Quote:
I can confirm this one too. Stuttering can last as long as a few seconds. That and the crash when closing bug are the only 2 bugs i've come across so.

DTS-HD appears to be working fine!

All my tests are limited to mkv/h264.
liquidskin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:00   #24  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Subtitles haven't been tested extensively, i know that TEXT subtitles work, although i thought i saw PGS work as well.
I don't usually watch stuff with subtitles, do you have a sample with ASS and/or SSA? They seem to only really be used with animes, some area of videos that i don't watch and/or have at all.
I was using ffdshow subtitle filter. Indeed plain text subs are working. The problem with ASS and PGS may be that the splitter it's not correctly formatting the output data. I guess this because when changed to ASS/PGS tracks I get ocasional text on screen, like ·"·"$·"$%"!"!·"$&&/((, with the same font, location, etc. Looks like ffdshow still thinks it's receiving plain text subs.

Quote:
Like i said in an earlier post, smart selection of streams is not implement yet. It'll just pick the first stream of every type.
Once thats implemented it'll respect default and forced flags in addition to language priorities. Hopefully everything in a sane manner.
Yup, just testing the stuff. Haali looks like a great reference for this (without its bugs )

Quote:
What video codec? What audio codec? Sample?
I tested on some MP4 with h264 video, not sure what audio codec was in there, though.
Sure, sample here. All of them are H.264+AAC, your typical MP4 file. It's 5 years old, but newer ones behave the same here.

Oh and another suggestion for when you implement the property page, a bitrate graph would look great, I've always found Haali's one very informative.

This splitter is going to be a bomb when it's finished
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:04   #25  |  Link
hoborg

Hm, i got cannot register message - missing module.
Should this splitter be working on WinXP?

BTW, there is no problem to register MPC-HC filters...

How to start with Bitcoin
hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:05   #26  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You need the VS2010 runtime (link in the first post), but yes, its working on my work laptop which runs XP.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:08   #27  |  Link
hoborg

Quote:
You need the VS2010 runtime (link in the first post), but yes, its working on my work laptop which runs XP.
Oh, i missed that...

EDIT:
Here is my quick tests:

Nearly all of my video samples will freeze Graphstudio on end of video or if i stop playback, some videos freeze durning playback.
I can post samples if interested.

RealMedia seems to be not supported.

Do you have plan to add support for pure audio formats too (like FLAC, DTS, MPC, AC3)?

But great work, even lot of MOV files are now splitted corectly

How to start with Bitcoin

Last edited by hoborg; 16th August 2010 at 13:52.
hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:49   #28  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The freeze issue will be fixed in the next version. And yeah, real is a messy format, while it seems to detect the streams just fine, i cannot get it to connect to the realmedia decoders. Silly things!

I'm not sure how pure audio formats behave right now. I do assume in some places that i have a video stream, or at least i think i do. I'll check that.

I'll try to fix some subtitle issues and push out a new version later today, so the freeze bug is no longer annoying everyone..

Last edited by nevcairiel; 16th August 2010 at 14:00.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:32   #29  |  Link
roozhou

@nevcairiel
Why is there a 4M+ avcodec-52.dll in your package? It is as big as libavcodec.dll in ffdshow. Can you remove some unused codecs and optimized assembly functions for a smaller package?
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:42   #30  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Not 100% sure what happens when i remove codecs, i believe avformat uses them to probe input formats. Sure, its a bit wasted space, but ultimately the goal is to integrate this into MPC-HC, which already has avcodec.
Its not something i really worry about at this point in time. Maybe later on i can look into slimming this down.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:22   #31  |  Link
tiben20

for the build size it might be the --enable-runtime-cpudetect that make the binary so big. I'm not sure if its really needed but there only one way to figure it out :P
tiben20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 18:43   #32  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I wasn't sure what would happen if i compile it on my i7 and then someone runs it on a cpu without sse4 for example, so i turned it on. I could of course turn all the optimizations off, i don't think avformat uses them much, thats more of a codec thing.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:22   #33  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAVFSplitter 0.4
- Improved SSA Subtitle support
- Fixed freeze-on-stop issue

Download: 32-bit & 64-bit

Please test, especially subtitles! Thanks!
Sadly the "No Subtitles" option once again eluded me, but i wanted to get this one out today because of the freeze issue. Next version, i promise!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 16th August 2010 at 19:25.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:26   #34  |  Link
roozhou

@nevcairiel
CPU type is determined by -march in --extra-cflags. I use "-march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse" and it will run on Pentium3, Athlon-xp and all later CPUs. "--disable-encoders --disable-runtime-cpudetect --disable-asm" will greatly reduce binary size.
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 19:54   #35  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozhou View Post
@nevcairiel
CPU type is determined by -march in --extra-cflags. I use "-march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse" and it will run on Pentium3, Athlon-xp and all later CPUs. "--disable-encoders --disable-runtime-cpudetect --disable-asm" will greatly reduce binary size.
Thanks! I already had encoders disabled, and turning off asm and runtime-cputdetect made the files about 10% smaller again. Its still a total of over 4MB though.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:07   #36  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
LAVFSplitter 0.4
- Improved SSA Subtitle support
- Fixed freeze-on-stop issue

Download: 32-bit & 64-bit

Please test, especially subtitles! Thanks!
Sadly the "No Subtitles" option once again eluded me, but i wanted to get this one out today because of the freeze issue. Next version, i promise!
Freeze-on-stop fixed, SSA/ASS working fine now

However, there's still something missing: fonts included in MKV. SSA/ASS subs that use fonts included in the MKV are displayed in the default subtitle renderer font, which is in most cases Arial.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:10   #37  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
However, there's still something missing: fonts included in MKV. SSA/ASS subs that use fonts included in the MKV are displayed in the default subtitle renderer font, which is in most cases Arial.
Yeah, about that..
How do i tell the subtitle renderer about that font, exactly?
What do other splitters do? Just install the font system-wide?

Also, i would need a sample with this, as i don't have one.

BTW:
Can you test PGS as well? It seemed to work fine on my sample.
Old 16th August 2010, 21:20   #38  |  Link
JarrettH

Can't wait to see this implemented
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 22:10   #39  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Yeah, about that..
How do i tell the subtitle renderer about that font, exactly?
What do other splitters do? Just install the font system-wide?

Also, i would need a sample with this, as i don't have one.

BTW:
Can you test PGS as well? It seemed to work fine on my sample.
Dunno, but they don't install the font, or at least it isn't in Windows/Fonts after or during playback.

Famous sample in this post: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...89#post1209289

The issue with PGS is interesting. I have a MKV with SRT and PGS, the first track is SRT. If I play it, SRT subs look good. But, if after displaying a single SRT line I switch to the PGS track, I get this: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9356/avatarmq.png. Now, if just after opening the sample I switch to the PGS track, PGS subs look fine. But again, if I switch to the SRT track, nothing will appear. Stream switching bug here it seems.

Sample here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ucid8fzk282jm8b
Old 16th August 2010, 22:54   #40  |  Link
Underground78

Hello,

I've started to test the new splitter with this the sample available in this ticket : [MPEG PS/TS/PVA Splitter] Switching between audio tracks is not immediate. The bug report is also valid with LAVFSplitter 0.4, switching between the audio tracks takes much more time than it does when playing with VLC.

There is also a new bug that appears with the same sample (TS - MPEG2 - ffdshow) : seeking is not possible.

Hope it will help improving this promising new splitter.

Last edited by Underground78; 16th August 2010 at 23:05.
Underground78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter