Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th May 2013, 18:41   #1  |  Link
Axmann8

Media Player Classic framerate drop (non-artefact lag, new issue)

So, ever since messing around with my codecs and video player, I will occasionally get periods where ANY video I'm playing in MPC (anime, even regular tv shows), the framerate will suddenly drop to seems about 1/2 of what it was before, and there is noticable stuttering. It is not related to the files themselves (as I never had this issue before on the same files), and it's sporadic and doesn't always happen on the same part of the video.

The issue only happens on occasion (it seems to do it worse when it's on fullscreen and paused for a while, and then I come back to play it again).

I'm not sure even sure I have the right/good codecs or settings set up.

MPC->Filters submenu:

MPC Output Settings:

CCCP main screen:

CCCP status:

Code:
CCCP 2013-04-20 Status
Install Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Combined Community Codec Pack

Filters

CCCP ffdshow NOT installed ffdshow registration data not found
CCCP CoreWavPack NOT installed CoreWavPack registration data not found
CCCP Haali Media Splitter installed, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\Haali\splitter.ax
CCCP MPV Decoder NOT installed MPV Decoder registration data not found
CCCP VSFilter installed, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\VSFilter.dll
CCCP WMV9VCM NOT Installed but other version found: Registry filepath invalid. Location unknown.

Players

CCCP MPC Installed, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Combined Community Codec Pack\MPC\mpc-hc.exe
CCCP ZoomPlayer NOT Installed.

Please tell me if any more info is needed and I'll add it here
Axmann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 20:52   #2  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

First of all, you should be naming the thread more related to which the problem can be, as it's wholly possible that this is a problem related to the CCCP specifically, although to be honest there's not much there changed by default that would affect that methinks...

Second of all, if you are going to post an insurgent log, you will most probably want to post all of it. Thanks to the fact that movax hasn't really worked on the insurgent for a relatively long time, the status part really is the least useful part of it by now :P . Information of your OS/hardware/drivers and the DShow filter listing are generally much more useful.

As for the general checklist, what I can say is that your Play→Filters listing looks just fine. The generally recommended default splitter/decoder/renderer combo is being used. Unfortunately that's also as much as I can say with this amount of information. If you say you have 'messed around with my codecs and video player', I would also say that I'd recommend a full settings reset via the CCCP settings application (the 'Repair CCCP' button in the bottom left corner) before testing things more. One change I can see right away is that you have changed the resizing algorithm in the renderer. To be honest at this point I have no idea if that is the culprit, but at least it shows that you indeed have deviated from the defaults, so you could indeed use a reset once. If you have customized the key shortcuts in MPC-HC, those can be exported via View→Options→Miscellaneous→Export Keys before you do a reset.

I personally get slowdowns when playing back content when my laptop's nvidia 9600M GS GPU goes over either 95 or 105 degrees celsius, don't exactly remember which. That of course does also lead to a general slowness in the screen's update rate because the GPU is being downclocked in order to not have it completely overheat, not just slowness in the video player's video surface. You could keep a check on your GPU temperatures with, for example, CPUID's HWMonitor while you're trying to play things back, and see how it looks.

Another thing that got reported to the CCCP crew lately, and subsequently was debugged together with an MPC-HC developer, was a case of memory leakage in MPC-HC related to chapters. Not sure at all if this when happening would have caused any slowdowns, though. But if you want to try a package where that problem is fixed, you could try out the current CCCP release candidate (RC2) that is available from here.

Anyways, can't say more. Post the full insurgent log and we might get more possibilities . Also possibly posting the contents of File→Properties→Mediainfo of one of the affected files when played back might be of use...

Last edited by JEEB; 29th May 2013 at 20:55. Reason: insurent -> insurgent
JEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 11:39   #3  |  Link
mindbomb

my guess would be cpu overheating.
if you set lav video to dxva copyback, it might help your 8 bit files play smoothly.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 08:04   #4  |  Link
Axmann8

Here's the link to the full insurgent log.

http://pastebin.com/rKV377Ef
Axmann8 is offline   Reply With Quote