Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 10th November 2009, 23:41   #1  |  Link
resloan

Xvids not 4:3 on Philips players

The Xvids I made with AGK of 4:3 movies are coming out vertically stretched some, and with less than full screen horizontal picture on my Philips DVD players. They have various resolutions around 1.32 AR. Any way to fix this in AGK or otherwise?
resloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 02:59   #2  |  Link
manono

How do they play on the computer? What kind of TV, 4:3 or 16:9? Post a log.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 03:46   #3  |  Link
resloan

Thanks for responding. TV is a Philips 4:3. On computer, in Media Player, its the same, i.e., about an inch and a half on each side is black on 17" CRT with full-screen view. Unfortunately I don't have the log file anymore, just the DVD I burned - I could convert another movie to get one if needed. In AGK I pretty much stuck with the defaults, and used 1/4 DVD for size.
Old 11th November 2009, 05:05   #4  |  Link
manono

What's it look like when opened in VDubMod? Still stretched? What's the resolution of one of these? And this is happening with all your AutoGK encodes? The reason I ask is that AutoGK gets the aspect ratio correct except for those very rare instances when the VOBs have a different DAR than the IFOs (IFOs may be 16:9 but the VOBs were encoded as 4:3), and then you have to go into the hidden options to set it straight again.

So my first suspicion is that there's more here than meets the eye.
Old 11th November 2009, 05:32   #5  |  Link
resloan

No, looks great in VDMod. 528 x 400 on this one. I have done about 8 movies and all show less than full horizontal screen 4:3.
Old 11th November 2009, 05:44   #6  |  Link
manono

OK, if it looks 'normal' in VDubMod, then AutoGK did its job and your problem is playback. The resolution also says it's OK (assuming it's a 'fullscreen' movie). You must have set up your players incorrectly. As for your software player, my suggestion is to get Media Player Home Cinema:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Media...ic_Home_Cinema

Open the movie in that and my guess is they'll play in correct aspect ratio. I don't (and won't) own any Philips players so I don't know for sure what the problem is with them. Maybe they're defective or maybe you just have them set up incorrectly. If your TV is 4:3, are you sure they're set up to output to a 4:3 TV?
Old 11th November 2009, 06:09   #7  |  Link
resloan

I have Media Player Classic and they play good in that. The Philips players show other commercial dvds fine, but I will recheck the configuration on them. Maybe they don't like Xvid?
Old 11th November 2009, 07:26   #8  |  Link
resloan

Well, duh. . . .that was the problem. They weren't set up correctly. I found a setup page I hadn't seen before and set them to 4:3. Had either Letterbox or Pan Scan. Both looked the same, but anyway, got a full screen now. Many thanks for your help and patience!