Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th January 2014, 21:57   #21981  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You're probably using CUVID not DXVA2 for decoding then which is why you don't see it.
nope, i have LAV using dxva2cb (copy back)
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 21:57   #21982  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You would only see it with native DXVA2. Any other decode modes look just like software decoding to the renderer, which is part of their beauty.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:03   #21983  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
Sorry for the noob question, but I read about the number of frames presented in advance being increased to 8 (from 4?) for exclusive mode. I'm looking at the "exclusive mode settings" tab and "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" is set to "4". Saw that on 0.87.1; this is with 0.87.2. GPU queue size is set to "8". Am I looking in the wrong place?
I've just changed the *default* settings. Those are the settings that are used when you start madVR the first time. Changing the default settings only affects new madVR users. Or it affects you if you manually reset madVR to default settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by za222 View Post
Nice! v0.87.2 also has fixed the green/white/black screen issues with deinterlacing for me!
Force Film / Force Video / Auto now all work perfectly, again!
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
madshi, I'm uncertain if it's still expected at this point with 0.87.2 but I'm still getting a blackscreen with all videos with barebone settings (using nvidia 332.21).
That is certainly not expected. My best guess would be that you still have one of the OpenCL options active. Make sure that you:

(1) ... have all options in "image doubling" turned off.
(2) ... have chroma upsampling set to anything but NNEDI3.
(3) ... have the "trade quality..." option "use random dithering..." *enabled*/checked.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 22:07   #21984  |  Link
James Freeman

Madshi, Thank you very much for 87.2.

A quick question,
When I switch to Film Mode (29.97 interlaced video), detected ivtc cadence is 3:2 (24fps), isn't smooth motion should automatically disable itself with 72Hz refresh rate?
Its currently does not (maybe an old bug).

Can you please elaborate about the debanding mechanism and how it does its magic (in simple terms)?
I also see the Custom debanding left from the beta builds which is great (including the arrow controls).

Somebody needs to write a full comprehensive manual for MadVR with all its "hidden" functions.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:09   #21985  |  Link
djfred93

MadVR don't load with the latest version, it is stuck at opening the file and it crash on the setting window. The debug don't work either.

Log

My system : Intel Core i7@920, Ati Radeon HD 5770, Windows 8.1, MPC-HC 1.7.2
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 22:10   #21986  |  Link
DragonQ

Dunno if this helps your nVidia investigations but with my GTS 250 using 331.82 drivers, I only get the blue and red chroma channels (no luma or green) when using NNEDI3 to double luma resolution. If I set chroma upscaling to NNEDI3 I only get green and luma (no red or blue).
Old 26th January 2014, 22:12   #21987  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
That is certainly not expected. My best guess would be that you still have one of the OpenCL options active. Make sure that you:

(1) ... have all options in "image doubling" turned off.
(2) ... have chroma upsampling set to anything but NNEDI3.
(3) ... have the "trade quality..." option "use random dithering..." *enabled*/checked.
I'm sorry, but yes every setting is set as above :S
I made a log: http://videoff7.free.fr/madVR_log_black0872.zip
Thanks for your support.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:16   #21988  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
When I switch to Film Mode (29.97 interlaced video), detected ivtc cadence is 3:2 (24fps), isn't smooth motion should automatically disable itself with 72Hz refresh rate?
Its currently does not (maybe an old bug).
This is probably an old bug. If you want it fixed, please enter it into the bug tracker (if it's not already there, I think I've seen something like that there already).

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Can you please elaborate about the debanding mechanism and how it does its magic (in simple terms)?
It replaces every pixel with an average of 4 surrounding pixels of random distance - but only if the surrounding pixels are near to the target pixel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred93 View Post
MadVR don't load with the latest version, it is stuck at opening the file and it crash on the setting window. The debug don't work either.
You probably just copied madVR.ax over? You need to replace all files, especially mvrSettings.dll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Dunno if this helps your nVidia investigations but with my GTS 250 using 331.82 drivers, I only get the blue and red chroma channels (no luma or green) when using NNEDI3 to double luma resolution. If I set chroma upscaling to NNEDI3 I only get green and luma (no red or blue).
I'm going to reproduce this myself.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:18   #21989  |  Link
Nachbar

Thank you for fixing the previous problems I had everything that I used works like it used to before.

Maybe add in parenthesis next to dxva2 and nnedi3 in the scaling algorithms section that its for intel/amd ? Unless its a bug and its supposed to work for nvidia. Same with the image doubling section.
Nachbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 22:20   #21990  |  Link
Soukyuu

Hmm... what would be some good material to compare chroma upscaling with? I just tried switching on a couple of anime episodes and there is barely any difference, even NN looks quite acceptable most of the time. What do I have to look out for? Image upscaling on the other hand is quite obvious. Basically, I'm trying to figure out why I'd even want NNEDI for chroma upscaling.

0.87.2 works fine here btw, minus the openCL, so at least no regressions.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:21   #21991  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I'm sorry, but yes every setting is set as above :S
I made a log: http://videoff7.free.fr/madVR_log_black0872.zip
Thanks for your support.
Ah yes. You've disabled "prerender several frames in advance" in the "exclusive mode settings". That for some reason doesn't work with v0.87.2. I'll look into that for v0.87.3. For now just re-activate the "prerender" option and you should be good to go.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:25   #21992  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Maybe add in parenthesis next to dxva2 and nnedi3 in the scaling algorithms section that its for intel/amd ? Unless its a bug and its supposed to work for nvidia. Same with the image doubling section.
It is supposed to work for NVidia, sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
Hmm... what would be some good material to compare chroma upscaling with? I just tried switching on a couple of anime episodes and there is barely any difference, even NN looks quite acceptable most of the time. What do I have to look out for?
Best thing to check this with is content where there's lots of black and red. E.g. red fonts on black background. Or red numbers on an old alarm clock. Or some of the Battlestar Galactica scenes in the Cylon mothership.

Chroma upscaling is often not very important. I don't really recommend using NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling - unless your GPU doesn't have anything else to do, maybe.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:25   #21993  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ah yes. You've disabled "prerender several frames in advance" in the "exclusive mode settings". That for some reason doesn't work with v0.87.2. I'll look into that for v0.87.3. For now just re-activate the "prerender" option and you should be good to go.
I just tried and that's not it either.
It has to do with the openCL stuff again as 0.87.2 behaves exactly like 0.87 here, black screen while audio is playing then always player crash on exit..
Old 26th January 2014, 22:34   #21994  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I just tried and that's not it either.
It has to do with the openCL stuff again as 0.87.2 behaves exactly like 0.87 here, black screen while audio is playing then always player crash on exit..
Well, I can reproduce the problem if I uncheck the "prerender multiple frames" option off on my PC. That's definitely the reason why you got a black screen. Maybe there is an additional reason. But I can't see it in the log because the unchecked "prerender multiple frames" option already did all the damage. If you can create another log with the option checked, I can have another look. Maybe I can see what's going on.

OpenCL should not even be initialized at all, if you have those 3 options set like I said earlier. So I don't think this has anything to do with OpenCL.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:34   #21995  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
You probably just copied madVR.ax over? You need to replace all files, especially mvrSettings.dll.
I delete all the file except setting.bin and it's still the same issue.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 22:42   #21996  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Well, I can reproduce the problem if I uncheck the "prerender multiple frames" option off on my PC. That's definitely the reason why you got a black screen. Maybe there is an additional reason. But I can't see it in the log because the unchecked "prerender multiple frames" option already did all the damage. If you can create another log with the option checked, I can have another look. Maybe I can see what's going on.

OpenCL should not even be initialized at all, if you have those 3 options set like I said earlier. So I don't think this has anything to do with OpenCL.
Oh my bad, sure, here it is with "present multiple frames" enabled: madV_logTSR.zip
Old 26th January 2014, 22:49   #21997  |  Link
Stereodude

I'm a little confused... I have these profile auto select rules, but it always picks the progressive profile even when the source is definitely interlaced (madVR reports deinterlacing is on and shows a time for it).

if (srcInterlaced = true) "interlaced"
else if (srcInterlaced = false) "progressive"

I'm using .87.2 if that matters.

Edit: False alarm. I didn't realize it doesn't re-evaluate the source (like when playing a DVD going from the previews to the menu to the movie), nor did I realize that the madVR settings window doesn't stay in sync with madVR as it's running.

Last edited by Stereodude; 26th January 2014 at 23:00.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 22:55   #21998  |  Link
noee

try this:

if (srcInterlaced = true) "interlaced" else "progressive"
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 22:56   #21999  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'm a little confused... I have these profile auto select rules, but it always picks the progressive profile even when the source is definitely interlaced (madVR reports deinterlacing is on and shows a time for it).

if (srcInterlaced = true) "interlaced"
else if (srcInterlaced = false) "progressive"

I'm using .87.2 if that matters.
You need to use "==" and not "=", since this is a boolean check.

You can also use if (srcInterlaced) "interlaced" or (!srcInterlaced) to make it even simpler.

Last edited by iSunrise; 26th January 2014 at 22:58.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:01   #22000  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
You need to use "==" and not "=", since this is a boolean check.
No you don't. link

However, I've edited my post as I believe I understand why I wasn't seeing the correct information.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling