Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th May 2010, 14:06   #1  |  Link
sharp81

H.264 for Image coding

Hallo Everybody,

As I was searching for information on H.264 , just the intra prediction mode I came across this informative website. I found it very interesting to figure out how the whole process is done. I am trying to learn and maybe implement a part of the H.264 standard. I am interested only in the intra prediction ie I-frames and I want to use it for still images rather than videos. The idea is to check performance of various predictor modes and to select the best possible predictor. And after that I want to compare the blockwise and pointwise compressions. Since I am beginner in the field of Digital Image Processing, I want to first try to do a very simple implementation on this. I was checking the block prediction algorithm but I dont quite understand it works. Could you give me some ideas how to proceed with a complete system design and maybe some coding help? I am considering starting with only 4x4 block implementation

Also every paper mentions using a reference pixels on top and left to predict the block. But how do I select the reference pixels?

Thanks in advance.
sharp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 14:26   #2  |  Link
sauvage78

Technically I can't help but your post reminds me of this:

http://www.bilsen.com/index.htm?http...ilsen.com/aic/

If you don't already know about this, maybe you'll find some interesting info there.
sauvage78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 14:48   #3  |  Link
jmartinr

Have you read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...97#post1299497?
Old 24th May 2010, 17:39   #4  |  Link
sharp81

yeah, I have read that forum post. But I think just using the intra prediction from H.264 shld give better results than jpeg. Which I dont know yet.

So I want to check if the PSNR and entropy is better.

This page on Advanced Image Coding is very nice and interesting. Thanks for the link. But I would be glad if somebody could explain how I could go abt the implementation.

Thanks.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:53   #5  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp81 View Post
yeah, I have read that forum post. But I think just using the intra prediction from H.264 shld give better results than jpeg. Which I dont know yet.
Yes you do. It does.

Feel free to use x264 to confirm if you want
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 18:23   #6  |  Link
sharp81

Hi Dark Shikari, Is there a documentation on the source cod of x264? Its very hard to understand a complete code and algorithm without documentation.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:27   #7  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Hi Dark Shikari, Is there a documentation on the source cod of x264? Its very hard to understand a complete code and algorithm without documentation.
I didn't say to use the source. Just x264 with --tune psnr --preset placebo --frames 1 --crf X, for some value of X, is sufficient to generate your x264-compressed, psnr-optimized images.

For psy optimization, replace psnr with "stillimage".
Old 24th May 2010, 18:35   #8  |  Link
sharp81

is it possible to obtain some explanation on the source code? So that I know how it is working behind the scenes.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:45   #9  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
is it possible to obtain some explanation on the source code? So that I know how it is working behind the scenes.
Hop on the x264 IRC on Freenode and ask questions.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:03   #10  |  Link
sharp81

The bilsen project looks interesting. Unfortunately I dont have a delhi to compile it. Is there anything similar available written in C/C++?
Old 25th May 2010, 09:34   #11  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Quote:
Yes you do. It does.

Feel free to use x264 to confirm if you want
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=142910
Here was a comparison done between JPEG, JPEG2000, HDPhoto, and x264 back in 2008. It was better than JPEG back then, so it should be even better today.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 31st May 2010 at 07:14.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 00:49   #12  |  Link
sharp81

i guessed so that it must be definitely better than jpeg. Becoz the prediction algorithm is definitely better. Here the dct is also done on the difference picture rather than on the picture itself like in jpeg.

What I found out about the Intra coding is finding the pixel values from reference is done by intrapolation and extrapolation and taking the weighted average. But I still am not able to get the math here. Is it possible for someone to explain the whole math.

Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 23:45   #13  |  Link
sharp81

does the Jpeg2000 use the same prediction method as the H.264 and only the part where it differs is it uses DWT instead of DCT. Is that true?
Old 18th June 2010, 23:46   #14  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
does the Jpeg2000 use the same prediction method as the H.264 and only the part where it differs is it uses DWT instead of DCT. Is that true?
No; the prediction methods in H.264 are mutually incompatible with large wavelet transforms.
Old 19th June 2010, 22:01   #15  |  Link
sharp81

from what i understand in Jpeg there is no prediction and instead DCT is directly done on the picture which is divided into blocks. How exactly does Jpeg2000 work and how is the H.264 intra mode better than Jpeg2000. Is there a reference source code available?
Old 19th June 2010, 22:35   #16  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

H.264 JM Reference Source Code
JPEG2000 Reference Source Code

JPEG2000 has no block or pixel prediction. It's a direct wavelet transform of the source, same as JPEG is a direct DCT transform. The primary gain at low bitrates comes from the LL band of the wavelet transform being recursively transformed, and selectively throwing away higher resolution information.

H.264 can predict a block based on DC, up, left, up-left, up-right, and even down-left. Here's a very good h.264 intra primer (pdf) you could look at.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 11:14   #17  |  Link
sharp81

Thanks a lot for the info. Can you tell me which are the C files, that would be interesting just to consider the intra prediction from the JM software. What's the major difference between this JM software and x264?
Old 20th June 2010, 13:43   #18  |  Link
Underground78

Quote:
What's the major difference between this JM software and x264?
JM is more something like a proof of concept than an encoder you can use for real daily encoding ... In fact, it is slow as hell and x264 probably has some black magic quality optimizations JM does not have ... But JM source code is probably easier to understand.
Underground78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 13:46   #19  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground78 View Post
But JM source code is probably easier to understand.
I doubt it. It's practically commentless and has no IRC channel where one can easily talk to the people who wrote it.
Old 20th June 2010, 15:28   #20  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

I found ffmpeg clear and reasonably concise when I was implementing h.264 parsing in python, trying to minimize outside dependencies. I just used x264 directly for encoding, no way I could compete with that.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote