Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th May 2011, 07:23   #7621  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1n4 View Post
I have a question for ppl using cards equally weak or weaker than Radeon 5450. I have a Radeon 6450 with a reasonably fast dual core CPU. I have no problems playing most of my video files under Windows7 64 Bit except all 1080p Files (mostly 4 Reference Frames and 23,976 fps). So how did you manage to play without dropped frames, could you tell me the settings which worked for you?
Best thing you can do is experiment, run GPU-Z or something similar and check GPU load while playing back high res and reference frame content.
I think it would be a good idea for you to look at overclocking your GPU and squeezing as much as you can out of it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 07:45   #7622  |  Link
BeNooL

Quote:
I have a question for ppl using cards equally weak or weaker than Radeon 5450. I have a Radeon 6450 with a reasonably fast dual core CPU. I have no problems playing most of my video files under Windows7 64 Bit except all 1080p Files (mostly 4 Reference Frames and 23,976 fps). So how did you manage to play without dropped frames, could you tell me the settings which worked for you?
Don't use the new render path (aka keep the 'present only one frame at a time' option checked). Besides that don't use the 4 taps settings of Lanczos and Spline.

The 6450 is supposedly faster than previous generation you should be fine.

I'm getting by almost perfectly with a 4550 (slight more powerful than 5450) with madVRsync061
BeNooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 08:41   #7623  |  Link
ryrynz

Also if you've ticked 'use separate device for presentation' under the general settings make sure you haven't ticked 'use D3D11 for presentation' as I found that to be slightly more demanding of my 5670.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post
I'm getting by almost perfectly with a 4550 (slight more powerful than 5450) with madVRsync061
madVRsync061 can be found here

Quote:
Don't use the new render path (aka keep the 'present only one frame at a time' option checked)
This option has been switched, untick 'present several frames in advance'.

Madshi, have you considered developing a few madVR profiles? Low quality (for slower computers) for example would avoid more of these questions as madVR becomes more popular.

Last edited by ryrynz; 6th May 2011 at 09:06.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:32   #7624  |  Link
Vepar

Is it possible to change OSD shortcut to something else than "ctrl+j"? It is overriding Photoshop shortcut which i use quite often.

Sorry, if this was mentioned before but it's quite hard to look through ~380 pages. On page 170 Madshi responds that he will add option to assign diffirent shortcut somewhere in future so maybe i just can't find it. Or is it not done yet?

Thanks!
Vepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 10:00   #7625  |  Link
ch1n4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Also if you've ticked 'use separate device for presentation' under the general settings make sure you haven't ticked 'use D3D11 for presentation' as I found that to be slightly more demanding of my 5670.

This option has been switched, untick 'present several frames in advance'.
Quote:
Don't use the new render path (aka keep the 'present only one frame at a time' option checked). Besides that don't use the 4 taps settings of Lanczos and Spline.

The 6450 is supposedly faster than previous generation you should be fine.

Thank you very much for your help guys. I also think that the Radeon 6450 should be capable rendering "simple" 1080p video files with madVR. The average Load of GPU and CPU is around 40-50 percent when playing. So I suspect that my settings are suboptimal.
I will test your settings when I'm back at home and report back.
ch1n4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 10:01   #7626  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepar View Post
Is it possible to change OSD shortcut to something else than "ctrl+j"? It is overriding Photoshop shortcut which i use quite often.

Sorry, if this was mentioned before but it's quite hard to look through ~380 pages. On page 170 Madshi responds that he will add option to assign diffirent shortcut somewhere in future so maybe i just can't find it. Or is it not done yet?

Thanks!
He hasn't added it yet, he has a list of priorities that he's working through and while it's on the list it's not at the top of it.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:04   #7627  |  Link
Budtz

I still get an access violation error when I switch to the next mediafile in the folder. I use PgUp and PgDown to do this often from within the media player - and whenever I do, I get an error.

MPC-HC says: Access violation at adress 4A50F54E in module MVRSETTINGS.DLL Read of adress 06FFFFFC. This has ben happening since v0.59 and changing settings dosn't seem to do anything.

It only happens in exclusive mode btw. Works fine in windowed.

Any1 else getting this error or can help?
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 14:06   #7628  |  Link
Budtz

The file plays btw but it says "exclusive mode failed"
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 19:22   #7629  |  Link
ch1n4

Quote:
Thank you very much for your help guys. I also think that the Radeon 6450 should be capable rendering "simple" 1080p video files with madVR. The average Load of GPU and CPU is around 40-50 percent when playing. So I suspect that my settings are suboptimal.
I will test your settings when I'm back at home and report back.
Update: OK seems like it wasn't because of the settings in Madvr. My GPU and Processor are powerful enough to decode the files. All Problems gone since I updated LAV Splitter and installed an older Version of ffdshow.

Yeaah =)

Last edited by ch1n4; 6th May 2011 at 21:41.
ch1n4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 21:17   #7630  |  Link
Pyroshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Sample rate is not the same thing as audible frequencies.

It is simply how many samples per second a sound is broken down into when stored digitally.

For example, this graph represents an analogue signal:

And, if the entire X-axis was 1 second in length, this graph would represent the digital representation of that signal at 10Hz.

When making changes to digital audio, you really should be oversampling to avoid a drop in quality.
No, sample rate is directly related to the maximum frequency. Read up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist...mpling_theorem

The maximum frequency a PCM recording can hold is half its sampling rate, which would be 22.05 kHz for a file sampled at 44.1 kHz, well above what any human can hear.

The only true use for higher sampling rates is for better pitch or time shifting, the process of which involves resampling, which would be why Reclock wants to oversample.

Last edited by Pyroshock; 6th May 2011 at 21:21.
Pyroshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 21:49   #7631  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroshock View Post
No, sample rate is directly related to the maximum frequency. Read up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist...mpling_theorem

The maximum frequency a PCM recording can hold is half its sampling rate, which would be 22.05 kHz for a file sampled at 44.1 kHz, well above what any human can hear.
That's true, but it has no relevance to oversampling audio. (well, you would want to oversample to avoid aliasing when processing)

In that example posted above, if you were to sample the analogue signal at 20Hz (assuming the image above is 10Hz) you would simply have twice the number of data points per second, and a better representation of the original signal.

It doesn't change the frequency of the audio, it simply gives you more data points on it.

When you are just playing back audio, you're fine playing back 48kHz audio at 48kHz, but if you are making any changes to it, you need to oversample it to have enough precision to do so without a quality loss.

This is essentially the same reason madVR works in 16-bit despite our video sources being 8-bit.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 22:45   #7632  |  Link
bozydar

Quote:
Film is shot at 24.0 fps, therefore it should be played back at 24.0 fps.
That's not entirely true. Many movies are shot with digital cameras and 23.976 fps can be used. Moreover, some movies have parts shot at 24fps and other parts shot at 23.976 (e.g. Black Swan). This is especially true for scenes shot with DSLR.
The truth is, that it doesn't matter. No-one is able to see the difference between 24 and 23.976 fps (see no hear). You don't even have to mess with sound if you edit common scene in a movie, because single shot is usually very short (couple of seconds), so video and audio are still in sync.

Quote:
Reclock upsamples to 32/192 before working on the audio.
It doesn't change the frequency of the audio, it simply gives you more data points on it.
This is essentially the same reason madVR works in 16-bit despite our video sources being 8-bit.
Upsampling to 32/192 BEFORE resampling doesn't make sense. Following your madVR example: it's like changing video frame from 1920x1080 8-bit to 3840x2160 16-bit only to scale it down to 1280x720 8 bit. This would be huge waste of CPU/GPU power and it would introduce artifacts (same way chroma upscaling introduces false data).
Also upsampling by averaging samples (like in your example) introduces false frequencies beyond initial 24kHz).
Reclock indeed uses 32/192, but AFAIK only for output from resampling routines, to better allocate data from resampling process. And that is perfectly resonable.

Quote:
There are also some soundcards that can change their audio clock in the hardware if you want completely lossless.
Sure, but it works only for analogue output.
bozydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 22:54   #7633  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I still get an access violation error when I switch to the next mediafile in the folder. I use PgUp and PgDown to do this often from within the media player - and whenever I do, I get an error.

MPC-HC says: Access violation at adress 4A50F54E in module MVRSETTINGS.DLL Read of adress 06FFFFFC. This has ben happening since v0.59 and changing settings dosn't seem to do anything.

It only happens in exclusive mode btw. Works fine in windowed.

Any1 else getting this error or can help?
Same here.By the way seekbar doesn't disappear if I drag the mouse pointer to the borders.

Last edited by Damien147; 7th May 2011 at 00:45.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 04:46   #7634  |  Link
Neeto

I'm trying to use MadVR with RGB to talk to my Panasonic TH-P50VT20A plasma over HDMI from HTPC Windows 7, Quad Core, 1G, ATI 5570.
Whenever I set the Pixel Format to in CCC (11.4, 11.3, 11.2 & 10.8) to ATI "RGB 4:4:4" it does the update and all my levels are fine - brilliant picture.
BUT sometime between 10 seconds and 60 seconds later it "auto magically" goes to YCbCr 4:4:4 in CCC, I can see it resync on the plasma, revert to YCbCr 4:4:4 in CCC and screw my levels.
Reboots and coming out of standby also seem to trigger it.
Levels are correct if I use a DVI to HDMI cable, but for other reasons I can't use this.

One thing that does seem to trigger the "reverting" is closing MPC-HT with MadVR. Perhaps something is "resetting" regularly?
I've reverted to 10.8 drivers, but they seem to have the same behavour.
I've googled my head off and can't find much except old stuff about the YCbCr 4:4:4 being shown after RGB 4:4:4 update, but this is different.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas?

Update: More googling finally turned up the answer.
Turn off GPU Scalling, stop AMD external event service, change Pixel Format to RGB 4:4:4, reboot and enable service

Last edited by Neeto; 7th May 2011 at 05:09.
Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 05:41   #7635  |  Link
WontonNoodle

sorry noob question,
but what is the point of useing the 24hz refresh rate when watching movies?
advantages/disadvantages?
WontonNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 06:40   #7636  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post
sorry noob question,
but what is the point of useing the 24hz refresh rate when watching movies?
advantages/disadvantages?
It depends on the frame rate of your content but lets assume your content is 24fps, the point to running at 24hz on 24fps material is to avoid frame drops or duplicated frames. Advantages of this are a smoother movie watching experience the disadvantage is that some screens have a high amount of flicker at low refresh rates.
Old 7th May 2011, 07:59   #7637  |  Link
suanm

tell me how to set display modes in madvr v0.61 version with video stream 1280*544P ,23.976fps and video hardware 1920*1080@60,please.
when playing a video with 1920*800p 24fps,how should I set display modes in madvr v0.61 to watch the most smooth video?
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 08:37   #7638  |  Link
toomyzoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
tell me how to set display modes in madvr v0.61 version with video stream 1280*544P ,23.976fps and video hardware 1920*1080@60,please.
when playing a video with 1920*800p 24fps,how should I set display modes in madvr v0.61 to watch the most smooth video?
At display modes box, type: 1920x800p23 (if your monitor support this refresh rate) or 1920x800p24 (use this with reclock to resync the audio)
I think you should use reclock because there is filckers at low refresh rate. I run 24p at 48hz so the problem is not as serious as 24hz.
toomyzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 09:18   #7639  |  Link
suanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomyzoom View Post
At display modes box, type: 1920x800p23 (if your monitor support this refresh rate) or 1920x800p24 (use this with reclock to resync the audio)
I think you should use reclock because there is filckers at low refresh rate. I run 24p at 48hz so the problem is not as serious as 24hz.
thank you,I see.it means that display modes don't matter with video stream resolution ratio,just important to displayer device or TV physical resolution ratio and refresh rate.
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 14:23   #7640  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
madshi, I notice a little bug you might like to know about. It may be an nvidia problem, I can't be sure.

Using madVR 0.61 (with the fix for the process priorities), when I use fullscreen exclusive mode with "present several frames in advance" ON, there is a fairly significant difference in audio / video desync compared to when the option is OFF

I have all sub options under "present several frames in advance" disabled.

With the option ON: Video / Audio sync seems about 0.2~ of a second off windowed mode
With the option OFF: Video / Audio sync is exactly the same as windowed mode, and the same as other renderers like evr-cp.
A few questions:

(1) Does the amount of sync mismatch depend on the number of pre-presented frames (which you can set to anything between 1-16)?

(2) What happens if you activate/deactivate the "use a separate device for presentation" option (render settings)? Does that fix the problem?

(3) What about the D3D11 presentation path? Does that fix the problem?

Generally audio should have exactly the same sync with "present several frames in advance" turned on and off. If there's a difference then something is going wrong.

Can you other guys please also test and report audio/video sync? Thanks...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling