Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 6th December 2002, 23:39   #1  |  Link
ogo

ReClock DirectShow filter : try it !

This work was submitted a few days ago to doom9.net webmaster, but as i didn't get any response yet, i'm posting a link in the forum in case some users would like to try my new toy

ReClock is a DirectShow filter that will help to get rid of most causes of jerky DIVX/MPEG playback. How it does it too complex to explain here (it was a lot of work to achieve that ...). Anyway there is a HUGE readme in the distrib that explains everything !

Please post your results (success or not) in the forum, it will help to improve my filter

To get the current binaries, please visit my little web site :
http://ogo.nerim.net/reclockfilter
Previous version can also be found on this website

PS: sorry for my bad english, i'm french

OGO

Last edited by ogo; 27th December 2002 at 22:54.
ogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2002, 05:49   #2  |  Link
gabest

Nice work. Are you planing to support WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE with channel mapping?
Old 7th December 2002, 13:54   #3  |  Link
ogo

Thanks gabest.

Sure i'll see if i can add multichannel support in next release (shouldn't be too hard)
Old 7th December 2002, 14:40   #4  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

I tried it, works fine...and multichannel is exactly what I was going to ask for...now, as you probably know, AC35.1-AVIs work fine, but sound is only 2 channel then..., is there a solution in sight for full 5.1 sound? Would be great! In fact, that would be fantastic

Keep up the good work on that thing!

Is there a website, where we can get news and newest versions?

Last edited by Chibi Jasmin; 7th December 2002 at 16:07.
Chibi Jasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2002, 16:19   #5  |  Link
ogo

Ok guys

I just made a new version 0.95 which adds ... multichannel support

This is version 0.95 and you can get the link in my first post.

I did not have time to test it extensively but it seems to work fine. Let me know if its ok for you.

I don't really have time to make a website, maybe i should ...

OGO
Old 7th December 2002, 17:35   #6  |  Link
gabest

The mapping looks correct, I could only test it with four speakers but I guess the rest is ok too.

Also, I found two cases when it locks up. Sometimes it freezes when I dynamically change the format (much more smooth than with the dsound renderer ), and it always does if I load something while the player is being debugged (vc7). This happens with wmp64 and mpc both, so it's not just because of my player.

You can test the format change and channel mapping with mpc if you want, go to the options and enable the audio switcher and speaker config and keep clicking the big table. It will freeze sooner or later

http://download.vobsub.edensrising.com/mpc2kxp6406.zip
http://download.vobsub.edensrising.com/mpc98me406.zip

Last edited by gabest; 7th December 2002 at 17:39.
gabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2002, 17:46   #7  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

Great! I will test it as soon as I have time, probably later today!

Quick test: Properties in ReClock and Intervideo Audio decoder now show 6 ch correctly, but sound can simply not be heard at all (silence). Normal MP3 still plays...using SBLive on WinXP SP1.

Last edited by Chibi Jasmin; 7th December 2002 at 17:55.
Old 7th December 2002, 18:37   #8  |  Link
ogo

Thanks gabest. It is a deadlock problem, and i think i have corrected it. I'll post the new version tomorrow (i must do some testing)

OGO
Old 7th December 2002, 18:46   #9  |  Link
ppera2

I tested it and it works fine under Win XP. But AC3 has output only when set to 2 channel (downloaded 2 hours ago).
In Win 98 WMP locks up immed. after start when click on AVI associated with WMP. Bsplayer which doesn't loads filter works still fine.
Error in manual: " So a cinema movie that has duration of 60mn plays on PAL in 59mn36 seconds. " - Actually about 57 min 36 sec :-)
ppera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2002, 19:17   #10  |  Link
gabest

Hm, this is strange. First I tried to remap a stereo wave file to 3+ channels and that worked fine, I could position front left to back right, etc., but now I'm unable to do the same with an ac3 file. It sounds wiered like the sound was going in circles around me, jumping from speaker to speaker.

update: This ONLY happened with the ac3 filter from ac3filter.sf.net, with intervideo/cyberlink/nvidia filters it was perfect.
Old 7th December 2002, 19:27   #11  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

It's simpler here: No weird sounds, just silence, when intervideo audio decoder is set to more than 2 channels :-) 2 channels work...

UPDATE: 6 ch sounds works fine with AC3Filter from Valex, will use that one then :-)

Last edited by Chibi Jasmin; 7th December 2002 at 21:04.
Old 7th December 2002, 20:31   #12  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

One more thing: Would be nice to be able to manually define a source frame rate in case the detection doesn't work (happens with Intervideo Video Decoder or Cyberlink Video Decoder), so we can also use frame rate conversion on mpeg2-files!

BTW: Any idea, why I can't get AC3-output of DVD Navigator to connect to AC3-input of AC3Filter (mpeg2-demultiplexer works)? I could build a custom DVDGraph with AC3Filter then (and of course ReClock)! But maybe ReClock will soon work with Intervideo Audio, so this might then not be necessary anymore...

Last edited by Chibi Jasmin; 7th December 2002 at 21:18.
Old 8th December 2002, 01:46   #13  |  Link
ogo

gabest> i just uploaded a new version (0.95b) which help to fix the deadlock problem with MPC and WMP. Anyway it's still not completely ok, i still can lock the playback from the ReClock properties page when playing with the "media adaptation" combobox. By the way many congratulations for MPC, it's a great player, lots a feature with a simple and clean interface. It has great DVD playback, and loads automatically ReClock with DVD (ZoomPlayer don't do that).

For DVD, i know that ReClock cannot detect framerate (and it will never be able to do it because it can't deal with VOB files), but it still corrects the clock. As of now you cannot enter manually the framerate (i'll add it in the next version), but you can approach a good value by selecting a framerate based on a refresh rate divisor (for example if your monitor is at 75hz, choose "refresh rate/3" for a PAL DVD).
I know of some problems with sound when seeking inside a DVD.

ppera2> could your test again with Win98 ? I corrected the typo in the manual. I know my english is awful, i hope the manual is at least understandable

Chibi Jasmin> For AC3, i'll have to make more tests, but in 0.95b i changed something, maybe it's better now. Could you try again ?

Thanks for your bug reports, i'm not here tomorrow, so i will look at AC3 problems monday !

OGO

Update:
- i reproduced the problem with intervideo audio decoder (in graphedit). Silence too...
- i tried with moonlight audio dekoda : ok with 2 & 4 channels (in graphedit)

Last edited by ogo; 8th December 2002 at 02:02.
Old 8th December 2002, 02:06   #14  |  Link
gabest

Quote:
Originally posted by Chibi Jasmin
BTW: Any idea, why I can't get AC3-output of DVD Navigator to connect to AC3-input of AC3Filter (mpeg2-demultiplexer works)?
I'm afraid any filter wanting to connect to the dvd navigator needs to have a few licensed player keys... Once I tried to implement IKsPropertySet/AM_KSPROPSETID_CopyProt/* on the input pin using the old decss code, but those xing keys didn't help much. (my unencrypted dvds could be played though)
Old 8th December 2002, 02:10   #15  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

Quote:
Originally posted by gabest
I'm afraid any filter wanting to connect to the dvd navigator needs to have a few licensed player keys... Once I tried to implement IKsPropertySet/AM_KSPROPSETID_CopyProt/* on the input pin using the old decss code, but those xing keys didn't help much. (my unencrypted dvds could be played though)
Well, so I actually can't build a DVDGraph with AC3-Filter, I am afraid...is that correct? Well, maybe ReClock will someday work with Intervideo Audio Decoder...
Old 8th December 2002, 02:16   #16  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

Quote:
Originally posted by ogo

For DVD, i know that ReClock cannot detect framerate (and it will never be able to do it because it can't deal with VOB files), but it still corrects the clock. As of now you cannot enter manually the framerate (i'll add it in the next version), but you can approach a good value by selecting a framerate based on a refresh rate divisor (for example if your monitor is at 75hz, choose "refresh rate/3" for a PAL DVD).
I know of some problems with sound when seeking inside a DVD.

Chibi Jasmin> For AC3, i'll have to make more tests, but in 0.95b i changed something, maybe it's better now. Could you try again ?

Update:
- i reproduced the problem with intervideo audio decoder (in graphedit). Silence too...
About the frame rate thing: The frame rate detection doesn't work for DVDs/MPEG2...sure, I got that, that's why I was asking to be able to set the SOURCE frame rate manually! Then it should be possible to calculate the needed audio resample to hit the TARGET frame rate we set. At the moment, playing with mpeg2-files (dvd-source or just mpeg2-streams) leads to the message that frame rate cannot be changed because source frame rate is unknown...(also refresh rate/x thing). By setting source frame rate manually it should be possible to do frame rate adjustment on dvds/mpeg2s...am I wrong about this?

AC3 was working fine here with AC3Filter also in 0.95 version, didn't test 0.95b...will report back, if anything changes...intervideo audio support is still not supposed to be in, I understood...

Last edited by Chibi Jasmin; 8th December 2002 at 02:19.
Old 8th December 2002, 02:29   #17  |  Link
gabest

Chibi Jasmin:

No, you can't if this interface implementation is missing. And even if it's there, the filter graph will send the EC_DVD_ERROR message with DVD_ERROR_CopyProtectFail for every encrypted dvd disc...

Ogo:

The deadlocks are definitly gone now , but even the intervideo decoder I have here stopped working with the latest build , and also the ac3filter is still producing that strange output for me.

About the fps, you can find it out usually by analysing the video renderer's input media type or just simply the first MEDIATYPE_Video type with uncompressed data, but don't rely on this too much, it is up to the video decoder to set this field (divx502 doesn't do it for example...).
Old 8th December 2002, 02:56   #18  |  Link
ogo

ok. Latest update before going to bed

0.95c is out, and this time sound is working with Intervideo Decoder Filter in 4 channels, 5.1, and 7.1 Didn't take time to test other AC3 filters, time to sleep ...

gabest> For frame rate detection, i use IMediaDet. I'll have a look on your method. I started DirectShow only 3 weeks ago, so i'm a little novice right now, and i have to learn ...

Chibi Jasmin> You're right about the "refresh rate/x" thing I will add manual frame rate in next version. With MPC & ReClock, we will finally be able to watch DVD's perfectly synced on big TVs ...

OGO

Last edited by ogo; 8th December 2002 at 03:15.
Old 8th December 2002, 11:58   #19  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

Quote:
Originally posted by ogo
0.95c is out, and this time sound is working with Intervideo Decoder Filter in 4 channels, 5.1, and 7.1 Didn't take time to test other AC3 filters, time to sleep ...

Chibi Jasmin> You're right about the "refresh rate/x" thing I will add manual frame rate in next version. With MPC & ReClock, we will finally be able to watch DVD's perfectly synced on big TVs ...

OGO
Great, I will be able to use ReClock for DVDs now that Intervideo Audio works. If you then add manual source frame rate, I will be perfectly happy, if all works as expected... :-)
Old 8th December 2002, 11:59   #20  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

Quote:
Originally posted by gabest
Chibi Jasmin:

No, you can't if this interface implementation is missing. And even if it's there, the filter graph will send the EC_DVD_ERROR message with DVD_ERROR_CopyProtectFail for every encrypted dvd disc...

Okay, now it's supposed to work with Intervideo Audio, I can skip that one anyway...thanx for explaining...