Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 24th July 2008, 04:20   #1181  |  Link
rebkell

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
1. Implemented project range selection, i.e., the [ and ] buttons are now functional.

2. Revised popup error/warning handling so that individual error types can be selectively suppressed.

http://neuron2.net/dgavcdec/dgavcdec.html

Currently, only a single range is supported, as in DGIndex. I want to get feedback on that before attempting to support multiple ranges, which is very difficult.

Note there are bugs in the Windows trackbar for themed desktops. To work around it, I enabled the ticks bar as well. Either the ticks bar or the main trackbar will show your selection range, depending on your OS and desktop settings. I haven't yet found a clean solution, short of implementing my own trackbar (as Avery does in VirtualDub; I'm not that masochistic ).
So far so good, I should be getting my Hauppauge HD-PVR Friday and I'll give it a workout, I just tried it on a small clip and it appeared to work great, everything in sync. It reported a 10ms delay, but I'm not sure I'm sharp enough to notice a 10ms sync
Old 24th July 2008, 04:25   #1182  |  Link

Thanks for the feedback.

Please re-download alpha 29, as I just fixed a bug that prevented you from doing > or playing past the ] position. Only preview and save project should honor the ] position.
Old 24th July 2008, 07:05   #1183  |  Link
lchiu7

I know you don't support LATM/LOAS audio streams in .ts files but dgavcindex certainly knows they are there when you do Detect PIDS and occasionally they show up when you do Audio Demux.

How hard would it be to implement limited support - i.e. recognise the streams correctly and allow them to be demuxed from the H.264 video? On occasions I have been able to demux them from some files and convert to wav using winamp, on other occasions while there is audio in the file (same format) dgavcindex doesn't see any audio at all.

Don't need to have convert to wav which I guess would be more work to implement.

Thanks
Old 24th July 2008, 14:42   #1184  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
How hard would it be to implement limited support - i.e. recognise the streams correctly and allow them to be demuxed from the H.264 video? On occasions I have been able to demux them from some files and convert to wav using winamp, on other occasions while there is audio in the file (same format) dgavcindex doesn't see any audio at all.
Can you provide a sample of one file that you can demux from and one that you cannot using DGAVCIndex, and for which both use the same format?
Old 24th July 2008, 21:13   #1185  |  Link
lchiu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Can you provide a sample of one file that you can demux from and one that you cannot using DGAVCIndex, and for which both use the same format?
This one can be demuxed but it loses the first 6-7 seconds

http://www.datamix.info/one news aac_.edit.ts

This one cannot be demuxed or shows no audio at all

http://www.datamix.info/One audio.ts

They are about 18mb and 35mb in size - trust that is not an issue

Thanks
Old 24th July 2008, 22:31   #1186  |  Link

Please fix your links. They're not working and I'm not in the mood to play guessing games. Thank you.
Old 24th July 2008, 22:36   #1187  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Wasn't too hard to guess

http://www.datamix.info/one%20news%20aac_.edit.ts
http://www.datamix.info/One%20audio.ts
Old 24th July 2008, 22:54   #1188  |  Link
lchiu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Thanks! I cut and pasted from the browser and didn't realise that this BBS doesn't parse the URL properly and I should have put in ASCII values for blanks!
Old 24th July 2008, 23:09   #1189  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Wasn't too hard to guess
I didn't say it was hard. I said I was not in the mood.

I'll have a look at them and let you know.
Old 24th July 2008, 23:25   #1190  |  Link
CruNcher

Donald might be a strange question but do you have the time and will to help the Avidemux guys with their M2TS AVC parsing/indexing ? at least could you take a glimpse @ the source of the parser/indexer and give a advise ?

http://bugs.avidemux.org/index.php?d...ls&task_id=467

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 24th July 2008 at 23:37.
Old 25th July 2008, 00:37   #1191  |  Link

What language is Avidemux implemented in?

Are they trying to duplicate the functionality of DGAVCDec? I don't mind, but I can tell you it is hard. It's not something you can just crank out. It needs a sustained attack and a lot of non-obvious heuristics to make AVC random access work. If they are trying to duplicate DGAVCDec functionality, I can just give them my source code. If not, then what are they trying to do? Bear in mind, I know nothing about Avidemux.
Old 25th July 2008, 00:57   #1192  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

It's written in C++ and the MPEG PS/TS/ES demuxer can be found here, I think:
http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/avidemux/...M_mpegdemuxer_

BTW: Avidemux creates index files to implement random access, similar (but most likely not identical) to DG(AVC)Index...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th July 2008 at 01:04.
Old 25th July 2008, 01:20   #1193  |  Link

So where is the problem, in the M2TS parser or the AVC indexer? Let me try to find that out by asking these questions:

1. Does an MPEG2 elementary stream inside an M2TS transport stream open, and indexing works correctly?

2. Does an AVC elementary stream (not in M2TS) open, and indexing works correctly?

3. Is it just AVC elementary in M2TS that goes wrong?
Old 25th July 2008, 01:28   #1194  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
On occasions I have been able to demux them from some files and convert to wav using winamp
This process works with the first file you linked. So I should be able to support demuxing LATM/LOAS. I'll just start outputting it at a TS packet with tranport_unit_start_indicator set, and hope for the best. I didn't do it before because I didn't know how to parse for the audio sync word.

I wasn't aware that Winamp had an output plugin!

Last edited by Guest; 25th July 2008 at 01:42.
Old 25th July 2008, 01:45   #1195  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

I think Avidemux can handle both, MPEG-2 and AVC, from Transport Stream. Elementary AVC doesn't work to my experience.

One of the biggest problems in Avidemux is frame-accurate access to AVC in general, no matter what container (MP4, AVI, MKV, TS).
Avidemux switches to a "special" mode for AVC video and then you loose frame-accuracy, because the decoder will buffer a number of frames "internally" in that mode.
When you seek forth and back, the same frame# doesn't necessarily show the same picture.

I think this is more a problem in the decoder part than in the indexing part. But MEAN or Gruntster might answer this more accurately.
If I remember correctly, then MEAN said once that "frame reordering" (???) for AVC is not implemented properly yet and that it's very hard to do...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th July 2008 at 01:58.
Old 25th July 2008, 02:12   #1196  |  Link

Then it sounds like a long, involved job to fix that for Avidemux. I have my hands full with DGAVCDecode. If it was just a little problem in the M2TS parsing that would be another matter, although I note that all the M2TS parsing hacks in there are prefixed with "FIXME" comments.

Soon I will release source code for DGAVCDec, at which point the method for indexing and random access of AVC will be available for re-use. The biggest complication is ensuring that the needed SPS/PPS's are available and injected when needed.

Last edited by Guest; 25th July 2008 at 02:14.
Old 25th July 2008, 02:20   #1197  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

I found this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEAN
For mpeg 1/2/4, avidemux know the frame type in advance and can handle the decoding /frame ordering logic
For h264 in most case it cannot and let the codec decides
As a result it does not know the frame type beforehand, but only after decoding the frames
BUT, the decoded frame can pop out a long time after it has been fed to the decoder
[...]
The simple one (like mpeg1/2/4) will not work due to the pyramid b frame ordering

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th July 2008 at 02:22.
Old 25th July 2008, 02:30   #1198  |  Link

I implement a clever solution to that issue.
Old 25th July 2008, 03:56   #1199  |  Link
rebkell

I have a question about demuxing the video stream and the extension. I think you give it an avc extension, is there any difference between .264, .h264 and .avc? I use megui and it is looking for .264 as an extension for the muxer. There isn't anyway to tell DGAVCIndex to create a demuxed video stream with a different extension, is there? I just renamed it, is there any significance to the avc extension?
Old 25th July 2008, 04:07   #1200  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
is there any difference between .264, .h264 and .avc?
I suppose some applications might require certain extensions.

Quote:
I use megui and it is looking for .264 as an extension for the muxer.
Silly megui.

Quote:
There isn't anyway to tell DGAVCIndex to create a demuxed video stream with a different extension, is there?
There is no way as currently implemented.

Quote:
is there any significance to the avc extension?
I like it.

If renaming is really a big issue for you, I could implement an INI file option to allow you to specify the extension to be used.

Last edited by Guest; 25th July 2008 at 04:10.
Closed Thread