Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2009, 21:32   #2161  |  Link
Taddeusz

MeGUI in combination with Avisynth and the CoreAVC decoder don't seem to play well together. I can get previews and everything just fine. When it comes time to transcode the video if I click on the progress window MeGUI stops responding. Once x264 is finished MeGUI comes back to life, at least on shorter videos. This doesn't seem to happen with any other dx filter. Just with CoreAVC. Any ideas?
Old 28th May 2009, 23:23   #2162  |  Link
daWsOn_s
Sandro

delete
Old 28th May 2009, 23:57   #2163  |  Link
alc0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
MeGUI in combination with Avisynth and the CoreAVC decoder don't seem to play well together. I can get previews and everything just fine. When it comes time to transcode the video if I click on the progress window MeGUI stops responding. Once x264 is finished MeGUI comes back to life, at least on shorter videos. This doesn't seem to happen with any other dx filter. Just with CoreAVC. Any ideas?

They all worked just fine on my computer. I was using CoreAVC, MeGUI and Avisynth all just fine on both windows xp with sp2 and with sp3.

Although that was a few months ago when I was still using DirectShowSource for both h.264 and vc1 sources.

My recommendations are to make sure CoreAVC, MeGUI and Avisynth are all updated to newest available.

If that doesn't work I really don't recommend using DirectShowSource anyways. You should be indexing the h264 file with DGAVCDec from neuron2.net. If the source is VC1 though, you have to 1) have an nvidia video card that support CUDA and 2) you have to be a contributer on the website neuron2.net to be able to use the VC1 decoder/indexing programs. At least the h264 one is free.

Hope that helps

alcOre
Old 29th May 2009, 23:00   #2164  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

DSS2 from Haali's splitter package is also a nice alternative when partnered with FFDShow-Tryouts. I use this all the time, as it's frame accurate and multi-threaded, since DGAVCDec is not multi-threaded.
Old 30th May 2009, 02:29   #2165  |  Link
alc0re

Oh...I didn't know there was another solution that was frame accurate....

Decodes VC1 also?

I'm not that worried about the decoder being multi-threaded since as far as I know, the decoding is hardly ever the bottleneck (as least with me dealing mostly with HD content.)

alcOre
Old 30th May 2009, 21:23   #2166  |  Link
mencius

I can't convert AAC to MP3. The error says "DirectShowSource: Could not open as video or audio." I am using latest version. I think I have done this before with no problem.
Old 30th May 2009, 21:37   #2167  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

mencius, you need an AAC decoder. Install latest ffdshow-tryouts (if you haven't already) and make sure AAC decoding is enabled in the audio config.
Old 30th May 2009, 22:27   #2168  |  Link
mencius

Thanks Inspector.Gadget. I already had ffdshow installed. I tried installing the latest version and checked everything (avisynth serving and plugins, etc) and set it to decode aac. But still doesn't work in Megui.
Old 30th May 2009, 23:28   #2169  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Do you have an MP4 splitter installed? (File may not be "raw" AAC).
Old 31st May 2009, 02:16   #2170  |  Link
mencius

Yes I have Haali Media Splitter installed. I reinstalled it but still no go.
Old 31st May 2009, 02:19   #2171  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

if your avs doesnt play in a directshow media player, megui cant encode it.
fix your directshow filter chain until the avs script plays back in a DS media player.
Old 31st May 2009, 03:26   #2172  |  Link
mencius

Okay thanks, it works now. I installed "AAC parser filter for DirectShow".
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:36   #2173  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
When recompressing some of my existing H264 encodes, can someone please recommend the correct setting for FFDShow's H264 deblocking options in the Codec's page when using it as the decoder with DirectShowSource? Should either or both of the "skip deblocking when safe" or "skip deblocking always" be enabled or disabled?

Otherwise, I have the other settings all at default (eg, postprocessing, resize, sharpen, levels, overlay, etc. are all OFF/disabled.)

Also, on the Output & RGB Conversion tabs, should I make any changes or just leave those at default?

Many thanks
The REAL Joe
I posted the above question a while back, but didn't see any response, so I figured I'd try asking again.

Could someone who has some good experience or knowledge please recommend the appropriate settings to use for FFDShow's Deblocking option; and for Output Colorspace when used as a decoder with DirectShowSource? I'm assuming that using the wrong settings for those options would affect the quality of the encode to some extent?

Many thanks!
Old 3rd June 2009, 01:09   #2174  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

ask in the appropriate place.
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:46   #2175  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
ask in the appropriate place.
Well, I know there are several different places where I could have asked, but really, what's inappropriate about here? Is there noone here who uses MeGUI as a frontend with ffdshow/directshowsource and have any advice to offer? There's all sorts of talk here about different ways to get the source video (and audio, as _you_ recently contributed to) into the encode process. I don't see anything inappropriate in asking for some advice from people who use a specific tool regularly.

And while I'm at it, if you were going to take the time to post a reply, if you thought I asked in the wrong place, could you not have maybe suggested what the appropriate place would be, rather than just post a snide, useless comment. Seriously, that was quite rude Sharktooth.

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 3rd June 2009 at 14:48.
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:36   #2176  |  Link
alc0re

@therealjoeblow

I can't answer the question you have about the settings to use (see my pm that I sent you)

But, I would suggest not using DirectShowSource for re-encoding your existing h.264 encodes. Head over to neuron2.net. Go to the section titled Mine, and download DGAVCDec AVC/H.264 Decoder and Frame Server. Trying using that to index your raw h264 file and then using that tool to decode frame accurate video to avisynth. Works just like DGMPGDec. Its a better solution than using DirectShowSource.

alcOre
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:43   #2177  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
I posted the above question a while back, but didn't see any response, so I figured I'd try asking again.

Could someone who has some good experience or knowledge please recommend the appropriate settings to use for FFDShow's Deblocking option; and for Output Colorspace when used as a decoder with DirectShowSource? I'm assuming that using the wrong settings for those options would affect the quality of the encode to some extent?

Many thanks!
Leave everything as default (everything unchecked), if you change the settings, the output file will not match the input file (unless that's what you want to do). If you have any filters activated in ffdshow, they will pass through to the encode if you are using DirectShowSource() and ffdshow as the decoder (usually unwanted)

If you need to do a colorspace conversion, you can specify that in your script. Most sources (DVD, blu-ray) will be YV12 anyway, so you don't need to do anything. Avoid unecessary colorspace conversions, because they are lossy.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:32   #2178  |  Link
simms

Hi i wasnt sure where to post this but this seemed to most logical place at the moment. if its in the wrong place i do apologise. And please can someone notify me if it gets moved or such.

The problem i am posting about is a virus being downloaded with the MeGui updates. It is of the malware type and today is not the first time i found it. I found this previously but thought myself to have landed unlcuky. So after removing the previous completely and taking all neccisary precautions i re-installed MeGui from a fresh DL of the latest build and did the usual update to aquire the rest of the tools to go with the application. Then ran a virus check once again to be sure (AdAware) Againthis has come up with a virri is the DL'd files. And quite a serious one at that.

Here is the details -

Code:
C:\Program Files\megui\tools\eac3to\HookSurcode.dll
C:\Program Files\megui\update_cache\eac3to-316.zip:HookSurcode.dll

Win32BackDoor.Hupigon
also known as
Win32BackDoor.Graybird
As you can imagine i am finding this quite shocking as have used MeGui for quite some time and swear by the app.
If someone could please clear up whats happening here i would be most grateful. The virus is quite serious and i wish to continue using MeGui....

Thankyou for anyones time and look forward to reply's.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:33   #2179  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

eac3to and its libraries do not contain viruses. That is a false positive. Check the eac3to thread for details.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:35   #2180  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

just 2 words: "False Positive"

hooksurcode is a dll by eac3to use for commanding Surcode DTS Encoder.

It's safe software. You can check on eac3to thread. There are many antivirus that flag it as virus. BUT IS ALWAYS A FLASE POSITIVE.

you can report to your antivirus

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Closed Thread