Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th July 2008, 01:15   #1  |  Link
Dragn

Dolby Pro Logic II with ffdshow

Hello everyone,

Been planning to post this for a while now, but exams and the no-posting-within-the-first-5-days rule got in the way I got most of my issues out of the way meanwhile too, but I have a couple of questions. I was thinking of buying a surround system for my room that I could use for both my computer and playstation 2. This is more or less the layout:

The idea was to connect the surround system to the (onboard) sound system of my PC, and send sound from the ps2 to it via the line-in jack or via my video capture card. If I turn around and reverse the output of the speakers, I can more or less maintain symmetry. Don't know what to do with the center channel yet though, but anyway.

I was looking for a software Dolby Pro Logic II decoder to get a surround effect from the ps2 audio, and so far I've found ffdshow and aud-X being able to do that. The issues mentioned before were that I couldn't get ffdshow to work with Media Player Classic (got the ffdshow icon but no sound) and the sound being way out of sync with the tv using aud-X. I got ffdshow working using GraphEdit, and the syncing is a lot better if I use the audio input from my video capture card in stead of the line-in for some reason. The added benefit of ffdshow is that I can easily reverse the channels.

I don't have the surround system yet, but I gathered a bunch of speakers around the house and connected them to the audio output channels of my PC. My question is, what exactly do I get if I enable the dolby decoder checkbox in the ffdshow audio settings? It seems like the music is coming more from the front and rear speakers and sound effects from the center channel speaker when I enable it, but I don't know if it's really DPLII already. Also, when I set output speakers configuration to DPLII in the mixer tab, I only get sound from the speakers connected to the front channel. Lastly, would I benefit from DPLII much with games that don't actually support it? I mostly play RPG's on the ps2, and there aren't all that many that have the DPLII symbol on the back.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Heh yeah, I get it now. Sorry about the noob questions

Last edited by Dragn; 8th July 2008 at 20:10.
Dragn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolby pro logic ii, ffdshow