Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 7th April 2006, 20:14   #1  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Guide: Change DVD subtitle colours

This is the discussion thread for the guide How to change DVD subtitle colours, which can be found here.

The guide is based on DVDSubEdit by jeanl.

As always any questions, comments, bug reports and suggestions for improvements regarding the guide are most welcome.
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2006, 05:12   #2  |  Link
daehkcid

Magnificient guide! GJ.
daehkcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2006, 19:12   #3  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@ukendt: How about a Guides sticky? Or at least a DVDSubEdit Guides sticky .

edited by ukendt:
Done!

Last edited by ukendt; 9th November 2006 at 19:28.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 06:42   #4  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Manusse has now translated the guide to French. The translation can be found here.

Thanks Manusse!
Old 9th November 2006, 19:28   #5  |  Link
ukendt

hi Cons, good work! (maybe you should translate this to danish?)
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 20:02   #6  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Thx ukendt. Well, if I find the time some day... But anyone is most welcome to translate the guide to their native language if they like.
Old 22nd August 2007, 03:32   #7  |  Link
bonkabonk

I am using DVDSubedit 1.38 and I wondered about two things:
1. can i change some setting that it will always change all subpics colors when I change one?
2. Can I use your program to ADD subtitles where there weren't any before?

- Dawn Summers
bonkabonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 07:12   #8  |  Link
bonkabonk

additionally, I've got a problem with the subs showing up in wide format!! half of every sub falls of the screen, the font is very large. do you know how to correct THAT??

- Dawn Summers
Old 31st August 2007, 17:46   #9  |  Link
jeanl

Apart from using "Apply to all" to change colors in a given VTS, you can't replicate that change in other VTSs if that's what you're trying to do.
DVDSubEdit can't add subtitles. That's because it works on the VOB "in place" (without changing its size, which is why it's quite fast). Adding subtitles would require enlarging the VOB file. There are other programs to do that.
DVDSubEdit can't change the font size either. But your problem may come from faulty info in the IFO file (that would indicate that a subpic stream is intended for one format when it's actually intended for another)...
Jeanl
Old 10th September 2007, 14:04   #10  |  Link
bonkabonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
Apart from using "Apply to all" to change colors in a given VTS, you can't replicate that change in other VTSs if that's what you're trying to do.
No, just in other subpics, if that's what they're called (sentence or or 2 sentences grouped together coz they appear at the same time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
DVDSubEdit can't change the font size either. But your problem may come from faulty info in the IFO file (that would indicate that a subpic stream is intended for one format when it's actually intended for another)...
Jeanl
That would be my gues too, but what info can i give you for you to see whats wrong?

I either make the DVD in DvdLabPro or in DVDauthorgui, and they both fuck up the subs.
It looks like it was made for widescreen or something. Or like it wanted to make it for widescreen but reconsidered.
in any case, the subpics/letters are stretched and broad.

thanks in advance, I'd appreciate any help i could get, if you how to repair this with IfoEdit or PgcEdit (I have them but never used them) please leave detailed instructions or please point me to a guide.

- Dawn Summers
Old 10th May 2008, 04:06   #11  |  Link
digifruitella

Quote:
If you want to change the colours of a SUP file instead you select “Open .sup file” in the file menu. Please notice that in order to change the colours in the SUP file using any of the two methods described below, you must also open an IFO file in connection with the SUP file.
How exactly do you go about doing this...

when I rip the whole DVD, and then use PGCDemux to break it down into (m2v, celltimes, ac3, .sup files, etc etc) I get NO IFO WITH IT.

When I Mux the DVD back with muxman...how am I going to get the .sup files when it's all muxed? This is a very confusing step for noobs, please elaborate.

I've opened the DVD in the program and used instructions to change the subtitles and it works fine, but it doesn't work for the ENTIRE sup file, only a frame. I need the ENTIRE sup file.. but this step is keeping me down from achieving this.
digifruitella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 04:12   #12  |  Link
jeanl

To change the entire sup file, you change 1 "frame", then you select "Apply to all" (Ctrl-A) then you save (Ctrl-S) and you're done with the sup file.
The IFOs you get when your rip the DVD (before you demux). PGCDemux won't "create" IFOs, it does not need to. The IFOs are with the original DVD, and you get them when you demux.

If you want to modify your subtitles after muxing everything with muxman, you just open the VOB file (instead of the sup file) with DVDSubEdit, and follow the same procedure... The VOB file contains all the streams (m2v, ac3, sup) combined.

Jeanl
Old 30th July 2009, 04:36   #13  |  Link
rjd0309
Wanted Dead or Dead

Before I multiplex my streams together using Muxman, I'd like to change some of the colors in Muxman's palette so that they match the menu subpicture colors used in another dvd.

I'm using DVDSubEdit to examine the other dvd's menu palette, and I can see that DVDSubEdit displays the color lookup table, and give me an opportunity to alter the CLUT's colors.

But here's the thing -- DVDSubEdit doesn't give me the RGB values of the existing colors! It allows me to CHANGE that color, but it doesn't tell me the color's original RGB value. So if I want to set a color in Muxman's palette to match, I'm SOL.
rjd0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 07:35   #14  |  Link
ukendt

Use PgcEdit for this.
Open the original dvd, scroll down to the required title on the left pane, double click on it and and u'll get a new window.
Here u will see the the sub look up table (16 colours). U have also the possibility of copying the table into the muxed dvd u just made.
Vobblanker can do the job as well.
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote