Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th March 2012, 20:35   #12761  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I'm just curious: when the player displays 1080p content on a fullhd screen, what does madvr do? (since there is no resizing ...)
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
features:

- high quality chroma upsampling
- high quality scaling (bicubic, mitchell, lanczos, spline etc)
- high quality YCbCr -> RGB conversion
- gamut & gamma correction for display calibration
- full 16bit processing queue
- final 16bit processing result is dithered down to RGB output bitdepth
- bypasses graphics card's video (damage) algorithms
- all work is done via GPU shaders
- no shortcuts, highest quality has priority over anything else
Only the scaling of Y (luma) is not needed when displaying 1080p on a fullHD (1080p) display.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 00:34   #12762  |  Link
FlashGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
I do not see anything referring to "cadence" at all.
That's because deinterlacing is off. From what I have noticed, the cadence break counter only shows up when IVTC is enabled, and for this you need to have madvr's deinterlacing on and in film mode
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 06:37   #12763  |  Link
Mikey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
That's because deinterlacing is off. From what I have noticed, the cadence break counter only shows up when IVTC is enabled, and for this you need to have madvr's deinterlacing on and in film mode
Oh, cool, thanks for the clarificafion. I knew if was something fundamental I was missing. Correct me If I'm wrong, but since I can always set my display to a multiple of the video's fps (I.e. I do not need to perform 3:2 pulls own or anything along those lines...) this is a good thing, correct?

I just wanted to make sure I was correctly using (and understanding madVR's inverse telecine...

MikeY

similar EDIT to my last post - I think I "get it" now...I can get IVTC to be enabled if I force "film mode" and turn on madVR de-interlacing on a 29i interlaced DVD (mpeg2.) Why would I do that in the first place though instead of leaving it in video-mode? Am I simply confused since I never watch DVD-movies? (I only use DVDs for videos such as Simpsons or Futurama.) I only watch movies in Blu-Ray or HD-MKV formats. I apologize for the wasted posts if this revelation is correct.

Last edited by Mikey2; 14th March 2012 at 07:44.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 08:31   #12764  |  Link
Mikey2

I apologize for the double post; but this time I have a real problem - I promise.

Like many people, since installing madVR in MPC I received the error "DVD: Macrovision fail" when trying to open a DVD. This is old news - I fixed it by doing the following:
DVD Macrovision qdvd fix

However, as of the new version of madVR, I cannot play DVD's anymore. MPC simply freezes up. (It simply says "not responding" and I have to use task manager to shut it down.)

(For my previous posts, I accessed the VOB files directly; however, for several reasons, this is troublesome on several DVDs/)

I tried rolling back the qDVD fix and a few other things, such as trying various mpeg2 decoders, eliminating extraneous filters like ReClock, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Mikey2; 14th March 2012 at 08:33.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 08:48   #12765  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
I apologize for the double post; but this time I have a real problem - I promise.

Like many people, since installing madVR in MPC I received the error "DVD: Macrovision fail" when trying to open a DVD. This is old news - I fixed it by doing the following:
DVD Macrovision qdvd fix

However, as of the new version of madVR, I cannot play DVD's anymore. MPC simply freezes up. (It simply says "not responding" and I have to use task manager to shut it down.)

(For my previous posts, I accessed the VOB files directly; however, for several reasons, this is troublesome on several DVDs/)

I tried rolling back the qDVD fix and a few other things, such as trying various mpeg2 decoders, eliminating extraneous filters like ReClock, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?
Thread just got updated. Try dslibdvdnav and see if it works.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 15:52   #12766  |  Link
lee_what2004

Hi madshi, I have 2 problem:
1. Regarding the fix on v0.81
Quote:
* key presses are now only "swallowed" if media player process has key focus
The shortcut keys are still being 'swallowed' even though the media player is no more in focus.

2. I'm using 2 monitors setup (extended). When FSE in main monitor, all the stuff in 2nd monitor will keep lost focus as if the video is trying to take all the focus.
This made me couldn't type or open anything properly.
If I FSE in the 2nd monitor, everything works fine on main monitor.

I'm using MPC-HC 1.6.1.4144, madVR 0.82.5, ATi Mobility HD4670.
Do I need to create debug log or something ?
lee_what2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 20:14   #12767  |  Link
Juce

Full range does not work properly. (Black is 16, white is 235)

fullrange.mkv
Juce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 21:15   #12768  |  Link
Snowknight26

Sure it does. Don't use MPC Video Decoder.. it's broken.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 13:20   #12769  |  Link
roytam1
Firefox User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Why not file a bug in MPC-HC about that?
roytam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 20:04   #12770  |  Link
mark0077

madshi, today I had a situation where the image after seeking seemed to freeze and then start flickering. The decoder queue started showing huge numbers like 17-26 / 12. Sound kept running fine in the background, just the image never appeared correctly.

I don't know how that could happen. If I can reproduce is there anything I can do to help? All I did today was take a screenshot showing the strange figures.

EDIT: I'm using Windows 8 CP 64bit, seeking in non fullscreen windowed mode,mpc-hc, lav video decoders 0.49.

Last edited by mark0077; 15th March 2012 at 20:07.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 20:28   #12771  |  Link
ragg987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragg987 View Post
Issue: I tag my PAL MKV files with "23p" in the filename. 0.81 no longer auto-switches monitor frequency, stays at the default 50Hz. Worked fine with 0.80. Have also tried using "24Hz" in the filename, and fullscreen and windowed. Have double-checked my auto-frequency settings, all is set fine.

ATI5750 on Intel i5 CPU.
Problem is 100% repeatable on 0.81 and 0.82.5.

Attached the logs. Click file > save as for the zip file, or click on individual text files, as appropriate.
ragg987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 03:50   #12772  |  Link
Pat357

Mad,

I got an error message on the "dbghelp.dll" included in the zip from Madvr v0.82.5.
The first thing I did after booting up was start MPC with Madvr.
When I wanted to look with Systinternals Process Explorer, I got the message saying that the "dbghelp.dll" was not for my windows version (Win7 Prof x64).
I came on a link to the Microsoft site to download a "debug" package.

Is the included version from maybe XP / older version of a develop tool ?
In my windows dir I have dbghelp.dll v6.1.7601.17514, the one included is 6.12.0002.633.

Can I replace the one in the Madvr directory with this one ?
Or is it better the remove it and let windows use its own ?

I noticed that mine has a lot of dependencies , while yours has only 4 or so.
Yours is probably one with most needed files statically linked in.
It's obviously not a big issue, but i thought it's better to let you know : maybe next release with an updated dbghelp.dll.

Last edited by Pat357; 16th March 2012 at 03:54.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 08:30   #12773  |  Link
FlashGordon

Quote:
Nosferatu appears to be field blended, so it's not suitable for IVTC.
Ah, I noticed the cadence was similar to the other field blended sample at the beginning, but was unsure. At the end of the Nosferatu sample the cadence changes to 4:2:4:2:2, which is why I thought it was a bit odd

Also, I have a silent film on Blu-ray @1080i that seems to have an odd cadence... madvr's IVTC won't identify the cadence at all, it'll just say "unknown". There is very slight combing without any IVTC or deinterlacing applied, but with IVTC the combing seems to go away. Playback @ 60Hz seems to be smooth, but I get frame drops when I try @ 24Hz. I can provide a short sample if you'd like

Quote:
Also make sure you configure ffdshow correctly: Turn off "Decoder options -> Soft telecine".
Thanks, that fixed it.
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 09:23   #12774  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
Seems seeking, fast-forward and opening files has gotten slower in 0.82.5 for me. I noticed that the line that says how much reclock has speeded up the file disappears every time I do any of these things. The queues also go down to 0 and then back up when I seek for instance. I have a corei5 2500k and a gtx 570 so I should have plenty of power.
As nevcairiel already said: The queue is expected to go to 0 when you seek for a short moment. It is possible that seeking got slightly slower because madVR now waits for both the render and decoder queues to fill up before allowing playback to start, while older versions just waited for the render queue to be full. People who use slow decoders (especially ATI DXVA CopyBack) might notice slower seeking. People with fast decoders (e.g. fast CPUs with software decoding, or using Intel hardware decoding) probably won't notice a difference.

What I wrote above only applies if you are using the "delay playback start until..." option in the madVR settings. You're using that option, right?

The reason why I changed it was that some users still has stuttering at playback start and after a seek, which seems to be gone now with the latest madVR version. Some users having slower seeking now is not nice, of course, but I think it's a smaller problem compared to the stuttering some other users had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv View Post
Thanks for this new version,Madshi.
So with a Mpeg2 demo at 14 Mb/s,1080i,I just can't use the Intel Mpeg2 decoder! ZP reverses to the Cyberlink one.But I can use the ffmpeg decoder and then the OSD shows that everything is detected correctly.Do you know why I can't use the Intel decoder? Is it because I'm on XP (DXVA 1) ?
Which Intel decoder are you talking about? Do you mean the madVR internal Intel decoder? For that to work you need to download the Intel software library, see first page of this thread.

Quote:
- is it normal that the GPU usage is so high with this version ? Accomplishing the above task consumes...50 % of my HD4770 !? The poor thing took 14°C in a matter of two minutes.
Is that different to older madVR versions?

Quote:
- synchronisation is lost if I fast forward with the seekbar .
With which codec (MPEG2, VC-1, h264, other) and which decoder and which splitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Now, would it be possible to add an option to display the pause message? =)
Maybe in the future, but not soon. I wouldn't even know where the place it in the settings dialog. However, in the future there might be better alternatives to the MPC internal subtitle renderer, which may not require me to hide the "Pause" message at all, anymore. So such an option might not be needed in the future, anymore, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflarex View Post
Setting the number of subtitle buffers to 0 is significantly slower. Instead of flashing subtitles on some cases, you will get frame drops.
Do you mean the CPU consumption is higher? Or do you mean the subtitle renderer might just take more time to reply to a render request? The latter problem might not be such a big problem when using madVR, due to the madVR queue logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaze1 View Post
I did have CTRL+J OSD up but it was also a millisecond flash between the black screens so it's mostly unreadable.

I'm not sure about the display mode changer, that feature doesn't ring a bell so I'll assume I did not set it and thus it was the default.

Regarding debug log, I think I made one nearly a year ago so I'll have to read up on how it's done... I think it's just some debug dll registered in place of the normal one and it shows up on desktop? No matter, I'll figure it out.
Just double click the "activate debug mode" batch file. Then reproduce the problem. Then close the media player. Then double click "activate release mode". Then zip the log file (should be on your desktop) and upload it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
A freeze report :

Madvr in FSE mode and I was accessing the context menu (Madvr went back in windowed mode).
I don't know exactly what happened, but I ended up with a frozen MPC showing 2 control bars at the bottom.
I had the mpc-hc.pdb file in the MPC dir, so it should be more readable for you.

One very noticeable thing was that the Madvr tray-icon was not visible for a while.. (never saw this before)

http://www.mediafire.com/?o9x5ojzzkn1bc75
Thanks, that's an interesting one. I suppose it only occurred once and you can't reproduce it?

Quote:
I think I "get it" now...I can get IVTC to be enabled if I force "film mode" and turn on madVR de-interlacing on a 29i interlaced DVD (mpeg2.) Why would I do that in the first place though instead of leaving it in video-mode? Am I simply confused since I never watch DVD-movies? (I only use DVDs for videos such as Simpsons or Futurama.) I only watch movies in Blu-Ray or HD-MKV formats.
Video-mode uses DXVA for deinterlacing/IVTC. DXVA can do IVTC just fine, too, so image quality should be fine. However, DXVA can't do decimating, so you end up with 60p, while when using madVR's IVTC you end up with 24p. Basically that means when using DXVA you end up watching movies at 60Hz with the normal 3:2 pulldown judder, while when using madVR's IVTC, you can use 24Hz and thus get totally smooth motion.

If you only watch Blu-Rays or HD-MKV stuff then in most cases you don't need deinterlacing at all. Some (very few) Blu-Rays can be interlaced, but it's really rare.

Quote:
Then please create a freeze report. You can do that by either pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break. That should create a freeze report file on your desktop. If that doesn't work, you can try the "madTraceProcess" tool. Look for instructions on how to use that tool by searching in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_what2004 View Post
Hi madshi, I have 2 problem:
1. Regarding the fix on v0.81

The shortcut keys are still being 'swallowed' even though the media player is no more in focus.

2. I'm using 2 monitors setup (extended). When FSE in main monitor, all the stuff in 2nd monitor will keep lost focus as if the video is trying to take all the focus.
This made me couldn't type or open anything properly.
If I FSE in the 2nd monitor, everything works fine on main monitor.

I'm using MPC-HC 1.6.1.4144, madVR 0.82.5, ATi Mobility HD4670.
Do I need to create debug log or something ?
madVR does not really make any difference between primary and secondary monitor. Can you please double check if games don't show the same problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juce View Post
Full range does not work properly. (Black is 16, white is 235)

fullrange.mkv
Quote:
@Juce, is Snowknight26 right in that you're using the MPC Video Decoder? If so, please try a different decoder. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
madshi, today I had a situation where the image after seeking seemed to freeze and then start flickering. The decoder queue started showing huge numbers like 17-26 / 12. Sound kept running fine in the background, just the image never appeared correctly.

I don't know how that could happen. If I can reproduce is there anything I can do to help? All I did today was take a screenshot showing the strange figures.

EDIT: I'm using Windows 8 CP 64bit, seeking in non fullscreen windowed mode,mpc-hc, lav video decoders 0.49.
If you can reproduce it:

Does MPC-HC still respond to your input (e.g. menus show, button react etc)? If so, please create a debug log for me. If MPC-HC is totally frozen, please create both a freeze report and a debug log. Thanks.

Quote:

Attached the logs. Click file > save as for the zip file, or click on individual text files, as appropriate.
Thanks, will have a look.

Quote:
I got an error message on the "dbghelp.dll" included in the zip from Madvr v0.82.5.
The first thing I did after booting up was start MPC with Madvr.
When I wanted to look with Systinternals Process Explorer, I got the message saying that the "dbghelp.dll" was not for my windows version (Win7 Prof x64).
I came on a link to the Microsoft site to download a "debug" package.
Why would ProcessExplorer use "my" dbghelp file? Did you put ProcessExplorer into the madVR folder? Microsoft recommends that if a software uses dbghelp, it might make sense to distribute the exact copy of the dll with the software, which the software is written for, to avoid any version conflicts. That is what I'm doing and it should generally work fine. ProcessExplorer is not supposed to even try to use the madVR-private dbghelp.dll. And if you look at the version number, my dll is newer than the one you came up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
Also, I have a silent film on Blu-ray @1080i that seems to have an odd cadence... madvr's IVTC won't identify the cadence at all, it'll just say "unknown". There is very slight combing without any IVTC or deinterlacing applied, but with IVTC the combing seems to go away. Playback @ 60Hz seems to be smooth, but I get frame drops when I try @ 24Hz. I can provide a short sample if you'd like
Yes, a sample would be nice. Thx.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 10:50   #12775  |  Link
lee_what2004

Quote:
madVR does not really make any difference between primary and secondary monitor. Can you please double check if games don't show the same problem?
I'm not sure how to check with games. Since if I run the games fullscreen and switch to the other monitor, the games would be minimized to the taskbar.

What about the shortcut key problem?
lee_what2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 11:32   #12776  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:

Your file contains the text "576p50 24p". madVR finds both "24p" and "p50" in there. Both are supported by madVR. So it's pretty much "random" which madVR uses. If you remove the "p50", the "24p" should start to work.
Old 16th March 2012, 11:36   #12777  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I'm not sure how to check with games. Since if I run the games fullscreen and switch to the other monitor, the games would be minimized to the taskbar.
Do all games do that? That's not what you want madVR to do, though, is it?

I'm not sure if there is anything I can do here. You're saying that everything works fine if you play video on the secondary monitor. Since that works fine, probably all that doesn't work fine is not madVR's fault, because madVR doesn't really care which is your primary and which your secondary monitor. I guess that Direct3D or Windows itself is reponsible for the different behaviour. Or maybe the GPU driver, I don't really know.

Quote:
What about the shortcut key problem?
The problem only happens if you play the video on the primary monitor, correct? If you play on the secondary monitor, the shortcut keys are not being swallowed, correct? I think this is probably a consequence of the primary monitor video stealing the focus. Again, I fear there's not much I can do about it.
Old 16th March 2012, 11:49   #12778  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Mad,

A freeze report :

Madvr in FSE mode and I was accessing the context menu (Madvr went back in windowed mode).
I don't know exactly what happened, but I ended up with a frozen MPC showing 2 control bars at the bottom.
I had the mpc-hc.pdb file in the MPC dir, so it should be more readable for you.

One very noticeable thing was that the Madvr tray-icon was not visible for a while.. (never saw this before)

http://www.mediafire.com/?o9x5ojzzkn1bc75
I guess you can't reproduce that, can you? I've modified something which *may* eventually have fixed this freeze now, but I'm not sure.
Old 16th March 2012, 15:02   #12779  |  Link
Budtz

Quote:
As nevcairiel already said: The queue is expected to go to 0 when you seek for a short moment. It is possible that seeking got slightly slower because madVR now waits for both the render and decoder queues to fill up before allowing playback to start, while older versions just waited for the render queue to be full. People who use slow decoders (especially ATI DXVA CopyBack) might notice slower seeking. People with fast decoders (e.g. fast CPUs with software decoding, or using Intel hardware decoding) probably won't notice a difference.
Well the problem is not as bad as I initially thought. The only difference is that when I seek or fast-forward there is a small pause before movie playback resumes. I am using LAV software decoding on a 4,5ghz quad core processor. Before 0.82.5 seeking was instantaneous.
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 15:10   #12780  |  Link
Juce

Quote:
Quote:
@Juce, is Snowknight26 right in that you're using the MPC Video Decoder? If so, please try a different decoder. Thanks.
Yes. With madVR's "ffmpeg/libav software decoder" the video works fine. Thanks.
Juce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling