Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 20th November 2001, 16:33   #1  |  Link
ricnews

How do you encode Divx4.11 with Xmpeg or Flask in XP?

I've been unable to encode to Divx4.11 with either Xmpeg or Flask. I was able to do this previously, but not since I upgraded to XP Pro, so I suspect that may be the problem.

I followed the Xmpeg guide exactly but always get an error saying the it can't create the file, or something to that effect. I tried doing the same procedure in Flask 0.6 but get the same error.

Someone suggested using "AVI Output" instead of "OpenDML AVI Output" so I tried that in both Xmpeg and Flask. In Xmpeg, it seems to encode okay for about 8% of the movie then it goes to 0fps and doesn't ever continue. In Flask, everything seems to work okay using "AVI Output" however, the end product seems to be either missing the video or the audio. When I encode using either of the single pass modes, I get a large AVI file but only the audio plays when I try to play in in Media Player. Under file properties, the video codec is displayed as "unknown". Also, the audio doesn't sound very good either. Every few seconds it seems to pause or stutter for a split second.

In contrast, using the 2 pass mode, I get the video but there is no audio. The video also seems to have lots of block artifacts. I encoded at around 890bps to fit on 1 CD.

Has anyone gotten this to work in XP. If so, can you post details, please? If not, is there some other (relatively easy) program to use that will run correctly in XP?

Thanks,
Ric
ricnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2001, 19:25   #2  |  Link
NetSoerfer

yup, i've had that problem too... after quite much testing, i solved it by selecting paths without spaces in it, like "c:\video\video_file" instead of "c:\my videos\video file" for both the output file and the two-pass encoding parameters' log file. that worked. today, i got the new version (4.2a) and i can use every path i want to, including spaces. so try both - hope it'll solve your problem, too

soerfer
NetSoerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 00:47   #3  |  Link
ricnews

This didn't help. I downloaded 4.2a and also tried using pathnames that have no spaces but still always get this error:

An error ocurred when tyring to generate the file.
Check that you're not using the output file or the program is setup correctly.

Don't know how to fix this...

Does the VirtualDub method work any better?

Thanks,
Ric
Old 21st November 2001, 01:24   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

virtualdub simply rules... it's definitely the way to go
Old 21st November 2001, 03:37   #5  |  Link
ricnews

There are 2 guides with virtual dub. I'm not too clear on what the advantages of either are. Also, I've got a dual processor. Does one method take better advantage of that than the other?

Thanks,
Ric
Old 21st November 2001, 12:17   #6  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

both guides have nothing to do with smp.. it's a single cpu thing only unless you manually assing certain tasks in the program chain to different CPUs

as for which guide.. you can use either.. I mentioned pros and cons of the both methods on my page. Personally.. I use gknot
Old 21st November 2001, 13:30   #7  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Sorry Doom, not correct !

MPEG2DEC/AVISynth/Vdub supports SMP fine, without having assigned any application to any CPU ( in fact only the vdub.exe is present in the processes list ) !

I get 85 - 90% CPU usage on my dual PIII 800 system in Win2k Pro, resulting in 15 - 18 fps. See according thread here http://rilanparty.com/vbb/showthread...&threadid=9186 and here http://rilanparty.com/vbb/showthread...&threadid=9568 .
Old 21st November 2001, 23:46   #8  |  Link
ricnews

I'm going to give the VirtualDub/AVisynth method a try, at least until there's a workable version of Xmpeg. Looks like the only advantage of VirtualDub/VFAPI is subtitles and IVTC. What's IVTC?

Anyway, thanks for the great guides!

Ric
Old 22nd November 2001, 00:00   #9  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

what is ivtc? what is a glossary?

both guides include subs.. I already told you what I use... if that's not enough for you to decide throw a coin...
Old 26th November 2001, 15:50   #10  |  Link
Seven of Nine

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by ricnews
An error ocurred when tyring to generate the file.

Don't know how to fix this...
Ric
had the same problem. so i check out when not encode sound to mp3 xmpeg will start encoding. strange bug. to solve the problem deinstall all DivX and MP3 codecs. then install DivX 3.11 -> DivX 4.11 and your MP3 codec (i do not use radium again (but works). now using lame acm). worked for me.

CU

Seven.of.Nine
Seven of Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 17:18   #11  |  Link
ricnews

Thanks for the tip, 7of9. Do you have to install Divx 3.11 and then 4.11 over it?

Also, where do you get lame acm?

I tried the other method but was so frustrated at how many steps you seemingly have to do just to get the audio converted and you seem to have to wait to finish the audio encoding before you can start the video encoding because you need the mp3's file size. Looks like there's a new program, ac3tomp3.exe, that will let you go directly from vob to mp3 file but I couldn't quite figure it out. The movie I was trying to convert had 4 vob files and it only did the first one so I only got 20minutes of audio. The sound quality was just horrible too, so I must have done something wrong.

If I can get Xmpeg to work again I think I'll go back to that. It may not necessarily be the best solution but it's definitely the simplest.

Ric
Old 26th November 2001, 20:20   #12  |  Link
Seven of Nine

Re:

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, 7of9. Do you have to install Divx 3.11 and then 4.11 over it?

Also, where do you get lame acm?
yes, you're right. deinstall all DivX and MP3 codecs. then install DivX 3.11 alpha and then DivX 4.11 over it. now you can install the MP3 codec. you can use the LameACM MP3 codec v0.90d (i have uploaded it on my server instructions are in the ZIP-file) or Radium MP3 v1.2 codec. now the problem should be fixed.

also a tip: make the "audio player" settings for your movie before you start with encoding movie because the "audio player" has a bug and lost the settings if you make it first....

hope this helps to fix your problem too.

CU

Seven.of.Nine
Old 27th November 2001, 01:14   #13  |  Link
ricnews

Sadly, this didn't help at all. I had only Divx4.11 and Radium MP3 Codec installed. I uninstalled both and rebooted, then reinstalled first Divx3.11a then Divx4.11 then the Lame Codec I got from your link. I then set everything up and got the same error about being unable to create the file!

I noticed that in the choices for audio codecs now there are 2 Mpeg-3 options, one which lists all the choices with "(lame)" at the end and one that doesn't. There's also another codec choice which has no name (just an empty space in the menu) but has all the bitrate obtions.

Ric
Old 27th November 2001, 19:21   #14  |  Link
Seven of Nine

Re:

hmm, bad news

Quote:
Sadly, this didn't help at all. I had only Divx4.11 and Radium MP3 Codec installed. I uninstalled both and rebooted, then reinstalled first Divx3.11a then Divx4.11 then the Lame Codec I got from your link. I then set everything up and got the same error about being unable to create the file!
have you the same problem when you select PCM (and not MP3) as audio codec? or start Xmpeg with encoding movie? if it works with PCM you can also try to install first DivX 3.11 -> Lame -> DivX 4.11 but i don't know this will work....

Quote:

I noticed that in the choices for audio codecs now there are 2 Mpeg-3 options, one which lists all the choices with "(lame)" at the end and one that doesn't. There's also another codec choice which has no name (just an empty space in the menu) but has all the bitrate obtions.
yes, thats right. one of them is the lame codec and the other is the hacked MP3 codec from the original microsoft mpeg4 codec.

look like the fix for this problem won't work correkt on all machines.....bad

CU

Seven.of.Nine
Old 6th February 2002, 07:13   #15  |  Link
EuGeNiLe

i have the exact same problem you are having.. as soon as i click start conversion this warning shows up:

An error ocurred when trying to generate the file.

i followed the divx 4 guide from the site.. and downloaded the software that was linked there..

xmpeg 4.2a
divx codec 4.12

i will try some of the suggestions mentioned and see if any work..
EuGeNiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2002, 08:38   #16  |  Link
EuGeNiLe

well i have followed what sevenofnine has suggested.. and everything works.. i uninstalled dvix 4.12 and the radium mp3 codec

then followed by downloading divx3.. installed that.. then installed divx 4.. then reinstalled the radium mp3 codec..

and now everything works.. thanks..

its just now my computer is getting cluttered.. arrgh..
EuGeNiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2002, 11:19   #17  |  Link
Migsan76
Portuguese DivX Maker

Ricnews, try make video and audio separatly, and then join them (multiplexing) in Virtula Dub.

My sugestion:

Make the video with XMpeg4.2 and Codec4.12 and donīt process audio
Rip audio from the vobs with graphed
Join audio and video in virtualDub

For all goodies for your DivX Movies visit:
www.divxgoodies.web.pt
Migsan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2002, 14:48   #18  |  Link
gregor7777
I eat fish...

Hello all. I'm having the sam eissues as these other folks are having. I will try what everyone here suggested with the uninstalling and re-installing of the codecs, and I'll post results.

My question is this: What is the reasoning behind the process though? Why must these codecs be installed in such a presise manner? Is it a bug with xmpeg? With the 4.12 codec?

I got two guns...one for the each of ya.
gregor7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2002, 16:51   #19  |  Link
Alex787
itembazaar.com

umm

Why not everyone using Divx 4.12?
Old 11th February 2002, 18:33   #20  |  Link
dragoman
DivX.com Mod Squad

Quote:
Why not everyone using Divx 4.12?
Because I get better results with DivX;-) 3.11 and Smart Bitrate Control in Nandub.

dragoman
dragoman is offline   Reply With Quote