Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 8th February 2004, 03:25   #1  |  Link
tomb

Elta 8882: new firmware with national characters support

Hello,

I want to inform you, that I prepared new unofficial firmware for Elta 8882. This firmware is based on official 2.0.4.0 release and adds support for central-european characters on DivX/XviD subtitles according to Windows 1250 charset.

Regards,
Thomas
http://sigma-players.nd.e-wro.pl/
tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 18:33   #2  |  Link
xkodi

great, but i need support for windows 1251 charset. i will bye an elta8882, if it can display cyrillic characters; i don't know if elta8882 has cyrillic support or not - mail to elta support, but no answer. anyway, can you give more info about firmware mod, so i can try to add support for windows 1251 charset in case it can't display cyrillic characters. thank you.
xkodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 19:28   #3  |  Link
tomb

Quote:
Originally posted by xkodi
great, but i need support for windows 1251 charset.can you give more info about firmware mod, so i can try to add support for windows 1251 charset in case it can't display cyrillic characters.
Now, only central european Windows 1250 codepage is supported. I plan to add new charsets, including Windows 1251. I work on new tool for fonts converting. When it will be ready (week?), I will be able to create new mods much faster. If you want to try yourself, you can download a good font editor from my website and draw cyrillic characters. But I have to say that it will take you some time - you have to draw every cyrillic character by hand.
Old 9th February 2004, 20:50   #4  |  Link
Mtz

Hi, tomb!
From your experience, do you think that is possible to add suport for subtiles for the elta 8883 (MediaTek MT1389DE chipset)? I need the Central European support.

And I have another question: Centrum Gemini 330 can display subtitles with diacritics in Romanian language without ª and Þ. Is any possibility to fix that 2 missing characters?

10x.
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 22:40   #5  |  Link
tomb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mtz
From your experience, do you think that is possible to add suport for subtiles for the elta 8883 (MediaTek MT1389DE chipset)? I need the Central European support.
Subtitles will be added in the new official firmware release. At least I found such statement on the feature list, which leaked to the Internet. But I doubt if we will see support for Central-European characters.
Fimwares for MediaTek based players are harder to change - they are not Linux filesystems as software for Sigma Designs based units. Of course font bitmaps must be hidden somwhere inside. But I don't have Elta 8883, I don't analysed it's firmware and I'm not sure if proper font definitions are stored in current firmware release.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mtz
And I have another question: Centrum Gemini 330 can display subtitles with diacritics in Romanian language without ª and Þ. Is any possibility to fix that 2 missing characters?
Can you give any link to the firmware for Centrum Gemini? Is this player based on Sigma Desings EM8500 chip?

Regards,
Tomb
Old 10th February 2004, 02:16   #6  |  Link
Mtz

DVD-Player Centrum Gemini 330
Info.
Firmware.

I hope good news from you.

10x, again!
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2004, 03:13   #7  |  Link
tomb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mtz
DVD-Player Centrum Gemini 330
It's ESS based player. Unfortunatelly, I know nothing about firmwares for such players. Sorry.