Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th March 2024, 20:16   #64641  |  Link
anta777
Rx470 50VT50

What is the most profitable video card to buy now for high-quality upscaling?
Which card has the best ratio fps/price?
AMD or Nvidia?
anta777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2024, 02:39   #64642  |  Link
huhn

these are used cards and been used means the prices are all over the place.

even a what is the fastest let's say 200 euro GPU is hard to answer but still easier then this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Happy Saturday, a special treat today for tweakers.

A 4K 16-bit PNG greyscale gradient that was programmatically generated WITHOUT dithering, displaying ranges from 1-bit to 12-bit.

https://imgur.com/fxILke1
ok 12 bit with massive banding i'm supposed to look at what? if my rendering surface is 8 bit the result will be 8 bit or 12 on an 10 bit, 8 bit or 6 bit display because the display doesn't matter even if the image viewer is not dithering the GPU driver will and even if the GPU driver doesn't have to dither the display will. making this totally pointless. getting 12 bit out of a computer start to end is already close to pointless.

here you go have a 16 bit gradient: https://www.bealecorner.org/red/test...ient-16bit.png
now you just take the combination that gives you the least banding does this tell you the bit deep of something no because nothing can for 100%.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:57   #64643  |  Link
Sunspark

@huhn The purpose of the file I linked is that it helps you figure out what the bit depth of your panel is, or the display chain. The file you linked doesn't do the same thing, it won't tell someone if they have 6 bit or 8 bit or 10 bit panel, just that they have banding or no banding. It's useful to know what the panel presents as if you turn off dithering in the GPU and player (e.g. 10 bit).
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:21   #64644  |  Link
huhn

as i said it doesn't because a picture can't do that.

if a image viewer rounds to 8 bit you will get 8 bit on any display even 6 bit panels.
this can at beast show you the bit deep of an image renderer that's it.

the file i linked allows you to test bit deep in details. because the display bit deep doesn't matter anyway only the end result.

you can easily test 6 bit GPU dithering with that file doing 8 or 10 bit on the software side and other such things because it is a perfect banding free 16 bit gradient.

every panel accepts 8 bit input even when it is 6 bit all of them dither this to 6 so it does nothing. even if you manage to find a panel that is not dithering it has to be like 20 years old or broken.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling