Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 27th August 2008, 12:02   #1801  |  Link
nurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic144 View Post
I've already encoded a 24000/1001 fps source with 250/25
Is it worth reencoding with 240/24, or is it only a minor codec/bitrate efficiency issue? (i.e. is the 'rule of thumb' there to be an optimal setting for x264 in some way and how bad is deviating from the rule - just a trivial difference in encoding efficiency I am hoping!!)
If you reencode with a 240/24 gop lenght you will lose quality (if all other things remain equal). Basically longer gops help compression efficiancy, but at the same time they make it harder to seek the stream. The rule of thump is to simply use 10 seconds as the maximum lenght. In reality there probably won't be much difference between 240, 250 and 300 frame gops at the usual framerates.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:45   #1802  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Hi again,

just used the latest MeGUI build 0.3.0.2002 to auto-encode a 2-pass encode/mux

I notice that even though in my Options|Setting I have "Delete Intermediate Files" unchecked, the job files (jobN.xml) created include directives to delete those very files
(i.e. FilesToDelete sections for e.g. .stats file, pre-muxing .mkv source, etc)

I know I got this to work OK on the last (previous) release.
fill a bug report in the bugtracker on the megui project page on sourceforge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
If you reencode with a 240/24 gop lenght you will lose quality (if all other things remain equal). Basically longer gops help compression efficiancy, but at the same time they make it harder to seek the stream. The rule of thump is to simply use 10 seconds as the maximum lenght. In reality there probably won't be much difference between 240, 250 and 300 frame gops at the usual framerates.
you wont lose quality. unless you re-encode from your encoding. keep in mind the the gop is closed at every i frame... and i frames are placed on scenecuts o or whene there are too much differencies from the previous frame...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 27th August 2008 at 12:49.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:41   #1803  |  Link
magic144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
fill a bug report in the bugtracker on the megui project page on sourceforge.
done!
Old 27th August 2008, 14:50   #1804  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
just used the latest MeGUI build 0.3.0.2002 to auto-encode a 2-pass encode/mux

I notice that even though in my Options|Setting I have "Delete Intermediate Files" unchecked, the job files (jobN.xml) created include directives to delete those very files
(i.e. FilesToDelete sections for e.g. .stats file, pre-muxing .mkv source, etc)
It's still there but you should look at the log file instead...you'll see that intermediate files aren't deleted.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:27   #1805  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

@Roco & Avenger007 : please test this build and tell me if it's ok...
Old 27th August 2008, 18:10   #1806  |  Link
magic144

@Kurtnoise13
thanks for the feedback
I will retest on my next encode this week and confirm the behaviour in the bug report - unfortunately, when I saw the entry in the job files, I manually cleared-out the FilesToDelete sections before invoking the jobs this time around!!
Old 27th August 2008, 20:44   #1807  |  Link
Avenger007
Bruce Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
@Roco & Avenger007 : please test this build and tell me if it's ok...
It works!
Old 27th August 2008, 23:57   #1808  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

When the new b frames decision is implemented into the SVN and is on all the time will there be some kind of notice for us MeGUI users? I still often use bframes 16 and I imagine it would be a bad surprise to find it moving at a crawl in the morning after an entire night of encoding.
Old 28th August 2008, 02:44   #1809  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

i will post a warning message. however i will ask the x264 devs first.
Old 28th August 2008, 04:57   #1810  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
i will post a warning message. however i will ask the x264 devs first.
Thanks Sharktooth.
Old 29th August 2008, 20:09   #1811  |  Link
Riki

Hello sharktooth, and gang! I asked this on the staxrip thread but I have the same problem with megui that has perplexed me a little, hopefully I can get some insight.

I used megui to encode some videos that I intend to be streamed over the web using the wowza streaming server. I encoded the videos using x264 unrestricted 2pass insane quality (200 bitrate)and Im very pleased with the filesize/quality! The problem is there are large delays when seeking to parts of the video and playing it.

I also used ffmpegx on osx to encode the same videos, they have an option in there to have a "constant bitrate" but even at a bitrate of 200 the filesize is much bigger. The good thing is it seeks much faster and performs better on the streaming server.

The question I have is, how can I encode using megui to have the highest quality, lowest filesize and yet keep it performing great on a streaming server? I couldnt find a "constant bitrate" option in megui, is there something like this, and would it do the trick?

Thanks for the amazing work you guys are doing!
- Riki
Old 30th August 2008, 00:10   #1812  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Part of the problem is that you used the craziest profile in the collection. Sure you are going to get the greatest quality, but for streaming, it is better to use weaker profiles, as they can allow faster seeking.

As to the constant bitrate option, don't worry about it. Using the 2 pass profiles will always give you better quality at a the same file size. Meaning that you can decrease the bitrate safely for a smaller filesize and still have decent quality.

Try experimenting with other profiles, such as the DXVA, or standalone profiles, as they are a little more realistic in their settings with respect to the streaming setting vs the Insane profile. They may also improve seeking. If you want to decrease file size, then keep decreasing the bitrate.
Old 30th August 2008, 02:17   #1813  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

you may want a fixed gop lenght (optional), a lower min-keyint (for optimal seeking), only 1 reference frame (for streaming) , few b-frames (b-pyramid disabled...), set the VBV parameters according to the desired streaming speed and buffer (for streaming), a bitrate based encoding mode (2 pass is suggested... still required for optima streaming) and some other limitations i just cant remember right now.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 30th August 2008 at 02:19.
Old 30th August 2008, 05:09   #1814  |  Link
Riki

Its just strange, I tried all kinds of different profiles, and also I tried adjusting all of the parameters you mention Sharktooth, but there is still an unexceptionable delay when seeking and playing the video.

Has anyone tried ffmpegx and know why it would be able to handle this so much better? In the ffmpegx settings I basically just check all the boxes seen here:
(only 2 are checked here but I check em all! also 2-pass isnt greyed out for me when I do this)

http://www.ffmpegx.com/options.html#x264
I also change the ME to exhaustive and the AVC level to 4.1. I leave everything else alone except of course the bitrate is set to 200.

Thanks for helping me with this!

Last edited by Riki; 30th August 2008 at 05:17.
Old 30th August 2008, 18:09   #1815  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

lower the VBV buffer then...
Old 6th September 2008, 05:18   #1816  |  Link
divin1ty
divin1ty

MeGUI Error for 0.3.0.2008

I just reinstalled everything on my computer and updated my version of meGUI to that mentioned in the title. Up to this point I have never had any issues with MeGUI, but now am getting some strange error messages. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

I leave AviSynth as default, make my selection for the iPOD Level 1.3 profile and CTAAC-128Kbps for Audio. I select the container type as MP4, etc, etc. I click the Queue tab and click Start. About 5 minutes later, after noticing the DGIndex is trying to start, the log shows the following information, the the first fatal error screen, followed by the MeGUI has encountered a problem screen, then everything shuts down. Any ideas?

Last edited by divin1ty; 11th January 2009 at 08:54.
Old 6th September 2008, 14:17   #1817  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

do not attach the images... use some image hosting website otherwise we should wait for a moderator to approve them.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:05   #1818  |  Link
JPSiemer

Is there any way to export "Lossless" or "Uncompressed RGB" from MeGUI? I only ask because I'm looking to take minute long clips from movies and I need them to be like 99% similar to the source's quality.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:10   #1819  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSiemer View Post
Is there any way to export "Lossless" or "Uncompressed RGB" from MeGUI? I only ask because I'm looking to take minute long clips from movies and I need them to be like 99% similar to the source's quality.
QP0 in x264 is lossless (YV12 though, not RGB).
Old 7th September 2008, 14:33   #1820  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by divin1ty View Post
I just reinstalled everything on my computer and updated my version of meGUI to that mentioned in the title. Up to this point I have never had any issues with MeGUI, but now am getting some strange error messages. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

I leave AviSynth as default, make my selection for the iPOD Level 1.3 profile and CTAAC-128Kbps for Audio. I select the container type as MP4, etc, etc. I click the Queue tab and click Start. About 5 minutes later, after noticing the DGIndex is trying to start, the log shows the following information, the the first fatal error screen, followed by the MeGUI has encountered a problem screen, then everything shuts down. Any ideas?
OneClickEncoder does not work since the dgindex 1.5.x update. Dont use it until we fix it.
Closed Thread