Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th November 2017, 22:29   #47201  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunnar View Post
what exact version of the 385 drivers are you guys using ?

I am tired of manualy switching back HDR off in windows everytime I watch a movie.

I was about to re-install 378.46 as I know for a fact that these work quite well. But since I plan to play a recent game(ELEX) I will prefer to have more recent drivers.
385.28 is a good choice, failing that 385.41

K (win10 fall update)
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 01:13   #47202  |  Link
mclingo

hi, i've had to sack off my ATI RX 550 card as I just cant get it stable with anything these days, KODI DS crashing randomly caused by graphic driver crashes, tried all version of drivers MADVR and LAV no joy. I've switch to an NVIDIA 1050, no crashes but I cant get rid of frame drops every 3-4 mins whatever I do. I tried creating custom resolution for 23,976 @1080p but makes no difference. I've also tried reclock, nothing changes it at all. At my whits end here guys, hoping someone can help.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 01:16   #47203  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epedemic View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide/some settings for madVR/LAV for passing through 2160p/HDR content with as little GPU-taxing enhanchments and features as possible? The GT 1030 is *barely* able to play the content without dropping frames, but is VERY sensitive to any background activity on the PC. 60fps content especially will drop frames now and then.
If you pass HDR through to the display, when playing 2160p on 2160 screen the GPU just needs to do chroma upscaling which should be fine.
I bet it's the 2 GB of VRAM causing issues. MediaPortal already uses a few 100s MB for its GUI, so when playing 2160p the VRAM usage should be pretty high.
Try lowering the queue sizes (start with the decode one).
Old 17th November 2017, 02:21   #47204  |  Link
RenderGuy2

Regarding Dolby Vision, I'm certainly not an expert on these things, but it seems like the enhancement layer might be a form of ratio image. Basically the 12 bit Dolby Vision source divided by the HDR10 version equals the ratio image which has been down scaled to 1920x1080 (probably among other things). It's sort of a clever way of storing higher bit depth information in two lower bit depth images. In order for MadVR to access the 12 bit Dolbly Vision version, the decoder would need to simultaneously decode both layers (HDR10+enhancement) making both available to MadVR, which would need to scale the enhancement later back up to 3840x2160 and multiply it with the HDR10 pixels. Probably other operations would need to be performed on the enhancement layer, bit shifting or something as in float it would have values greater than one which would need to preserved/recovered. Or all this could be completely wrong
RenderGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 02:21   #47205  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
Even if you reduce the CPU/GPU queue sizes ? It always a little more than 3gb or just in cases ? And with a 1060 3gb, does it hurt the performance (dropped frames) heavily or force you on setting compromises ?
I'm using default queue sizes and I haven't done any testing of the sort you're asking about. In my limited testing, it always seems to use 3-3.5 gb. My feeling is that it would be silly to try to use the 3gb version for 4k and be always worrying whether it works for any given situation.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 04:32   #47206  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I'm using default queue sizes and I haven't done any testing of the sort you're asking about. In my limited testing, it always seems to use 3-3.5 gb. My feeling is that it would be silly to try to use the 3gb version for 4k and be always worrying whether it works for any given situation.
I'd appreciate if you could do the testing with reduced queue sizes. You're right that the 3gb is a silly version but the cost of the 6gb version is too much and not justifiable for non-gamer like me.
Thanks.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 04:38   #47207  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
then 1050 will not assoluamente good, for my future 4k, but only for the fullhd?
a 1050 ti is absolutely fine.
it can easily do 1080p23 -> with NGU high.
a 960 can do this easily so a 1050 ti can do this too. the 4 GB make it absolutely save.
obviously you can't use every feature with a 1050 ti but that counts for a 1080 ti too.
a 1060 is about 60 % faster and gives you more options but that's it.
RCA is just so slow that NGU high is kind of free in comparison.
so yeah that's not going to work with a 1080p source or high FPS source need some tweaking like NGU mid.
but it's the new feature on the block so every one things you have to use it or something i don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Note that for 4k a 1060 6gb is needed. Memory usage on 4k seems to be just a little more than 3gb.
well it is even possible with 2Gb but just get 4 GB a lot of features will not work with a 2 GB card and the only limiting factor is the 2 GB nothing else.

a 1060 3Gb may work totally fine but just get the 6 GB is generally faster and the 6 GB will be enough for sure well at least for now.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 05:06   #47208  |  Link
nsnhd

If there were a 1060 4gb version then no one would buy a 6gb version unless gamers, I guess.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 05:43   #47209  |  Link
huhn

we will never know until someone tries it out.

a program is usual using more memory than it actually needs.
so seeing 3.5 GB or more is not unusual.

but well i got this working with 2GB and 3Gb is quite a lot more way more than 1 GB for madVR because madVr doesn't get all of the 2Gb.
https://abload.de/img/2gbcanworkr5uxx.png

it's just i can easily say 4GB is save because i know it is save i was using a 4GB RX 480 for 3Gb well... i saw more than 3 Gb Vram usages but i can make it work with 2 gb too well kind of...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 10:01   #47210  |  Link
Razoola

I must say that I have really lost all faith with Nvidia in the last month. I have reported the HDR issue (not switching off) a month ago to their support and I have heard nothing since, even after three followups through their live support chat and being told I would be contacted within 24 hours. Looking at the driver threads in their forums it seems they currently have huge issues with their drivers, not just with HDR but also GSYNC and stuff in relation to the latest win10 updates. I am at a loss to understand why they have not simply scrapped the current 388.xx tree, gone back to 385.xx and started over.

Has anyone else contacted nvidia support directly over HDR issues or am I the only one? I'm just thinking the more people that complain the more chance they will do something to fix that mess.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 12:04   #47211  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderGuy2 View Post
Regarding Dolby Vision, I'm certainly not an expert on these things, but it seems like the enhancement layer might be a form of ratio image. Basically the 12 bit Dolby Vision source divided by the HDR10 version equals the ratio image which has been down scaled to 1920x1080 (probably among other things). It's sort of a clever way of storing higher bit depth information in two lower bit depth images. In order for MadVR to access the 12 bit Dolbly Vision version, the decoder would need to simultaneously decode both layers (HDR10+enhancement) making both available to MadVR, which would need to scale the enhancement later back up to 3840x2160 and multiply it with the HDR10 pixels. Probably other operations would need to be performed on the enhancement layer, bit shifting or something as in float it would have values greater than one which would need to preserved/recovered. Or all this could be completely wrong
Sounds good, lets do it
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 13:32   #47212  |  Link
Razoola

I have just been reading this new info from nvidia in relation to HDR and netflix (http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...ail/a_id/4583/) and its got me beginning to think that HDR has been purposely crippled in newer drivers when third party players are used.
Old 17th November 2017, 13:37   #47213  |  Link
el Filou

That page you linked does not mention HDR.
Old 17th November 2017, 13:41   #47214  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
That page you linked does not mention HDR.
Yea sorry, I ment UHD for the first part.
Old 17th November 2017, 13:55   #47215  |  Link
el Filou

What do you mean by "purposely crippled" exactly ?
I think the issues are discrepancies in behaviour between Windows' internal configuration and NVIDIA's own APIs. That does not necessarily means they intentionally crippled functionality, Microsoft is just careless. Nobody wants to run Insider Preview releases on their production systems as they can break many things and Microsoft sometimes won't provide the fixes for months, so Win10 versions are always released in a beta state and then you have to wait for several weeks (if not months for the next feature update) for the things that broke to get fixed.
Old 17th November 2017, 14:19   #47216  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
What do you mean by "purposely crippled" exactly ?
I think the issues are discrepancies in behaviour between Windows' internal configuration and NVIDIA's own APIs. That does not necessarily means they intentionally crippled functionality, Microsoft is just careless. Nobody wants to run Insider Preview releases on their production systems as they can break many things and Microsoft sometimes won't provide the fixes for months, so Win10 versions are always released in a beta state and then you have to wait for several weeks (if not months for the next feature update) for the things that broke to get fixed.
I'm talking about nvidia here more than microsoft. HDR playback has many issues for many people since the 387.xx driver releases. By crippled I simply mean not workings correctly compared to earlier driver revisions intentionally.

Last edited by Razoola; 17th November 2017 at 14:29.
Old 17th November 2017, 14:23   #47217  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
I'd appreciate if you could do the testing with reduced queue sizes. You're right that the 3gb is a silly version but the cost of the 6gb version is too much and not justifiable for non-gamer like me.
Thanks.
You're asking a lot! Why should I spend my time doing testing so you have the POSSIBILITY of saving $60? If you want to do 4k, you need the 6gb version, period! I'm done with this stupid discussion.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 14:32   #47218  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
hi, i've had to sack off my ATI RX 550 card as I just cant get it stable with anything these days, KODI DS crashing randomly caused by graphic driver crashes, tried all version of drivers MADVR and LAV no joy. I've switch to an NVIDIA 1050, no crashes but I cant get rid of frame drops every 3-4 mins whatever I do. I tried creating custom resolution for 23,976 @1080p but makes no difference. I've also tried reclock, nothing changes it at all. At my whits end here guys, hoping someone can help.
Hi, can anyone help with this, how do I get rid of the frame drops with NVIDA cards, getting them every 4 mins on the mark regardless of whatever I do.

Now cant seem to create a customer 1080p 23.976 resolution either, its imediately overwritten with 24p.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 14:40   #47219  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, can anyone help with this, how do I get rid of the frame drops with NVIDA cards, getting them every 4 mins on the mark regardless of whatever I do.

Now cant seem to create a customer 1080p 23.976 resolution either, its imediately overwritten with 24p.
Reclock is the answer if you cannot set a custom resolution. If that does not help (you mentioned you tried it before) then either you have not set reclock up correctly or there is some other task on your PC that is causing the stutter every few minutes.
Old 17th November 2017, 15:52   #47220  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I'm talking about nvidia here more than microsoft. HDR playback has many issues for many people since the 387.xx driver releases. By crippled I simply mean not workings correctly compared to earlier driver revisions intentionally.
And you think thats unrelated to Microsoft? Those drivers that broke it are those that started to integrated with Windows 10 HDR functions, which are still a bit of a work in progress. Hence there is a direct correlation to Microsofts HDR efforts (or lack thereof).
If you were to use Windows 8.1, even the latest drivers would work absolutely perfectly fine, since there is no Windows HDR functions it has to co-exist with. Hence why madshi keeps recommending 8.1 for a media PC (among other reasons).

At this point its quite a bit unclear of Microsoft has to fix stuff, or NVIDIA. Likely both have some work to do. People that care about HDR today however need to realize that they are early adopters at best, so its somewhat expected for stuff to be a bit unstable.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 17th November 2017 at 15:59.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling