Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 18th January 2007, 14:06   #1  |  Link
cockpit

Jackie Brown CE, Multi Angles

how do I rip this movie properly? is it a trial and error thing or does anyone have a definite answer right now?

as you can see by the pic, the main title is listed twice, with 2 angles each.
title1/angle1 has cell1. title1/angle2 has cell2. title2/angle1 has cell1,3,5,6. title2/angle2 has cell2,4,5,6

ripping is a very slow process on my comp so I'd appreciate it if anyone has been here before and could point the way.

I just tried ripping the whole movie with ripit4me. not a good idea, as the film opening kept switching from english to french titles.

help!
cockpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 15:39   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

The two PGC's are the same movie, one is widescreen anamorphic, the other is fullscreen. Whichever plays on the DVD by default is usually 1. The angle 1 of region 1 DVD's has in my experience always been English.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 15:47   #3  |  Link
cockpit

hmm. well, while I waited for a reply I decided to give title2/angle1 a try. and it came out ok. but the box said it was 2.35 when in reality it was 1.85. but that's a common misprint I think.

anyway, surely there cant be 2 versions of 1 movie on the disc, being so long. is the fullscreen version the same but panned and scanned on the fly or something then?
Old 18th January 2007, 16:20   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockpit
surely there cant be 2 versions of 1 movie on the disc
I don't know how it's done exactly, but yes, there are two versions on the one disk. I'm aldo doubtful that they're separate sets of .VOB files.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 22:20   #5  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

In the same VTS, they will not be different aspect ratios. The titles domain in a VTS is marked either 16:9 or 4:3 and this pertains to all titles in the VTS.

What you have here is a multi-story, multi-angled DVD. Without seeing the IFOs you can't tell for sure, but, given they are the same time, there may be just different pre and post commands for the PGCs and they share the same cells as suggested by CWR03. The angles possibly reflect theatrical version (this is usually angle 1) vs other content.

To figure out which one to rip, trace the DVD in PgcEdit or DVDRMP with your selections via the menu and note which title is being played and which angle. Rip that one.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 03:25   #6  |  Link
cockpit

I dont know how to do that, and I don't care to learn it, sounds complicated. but I figured out what the angles were. angle2 was just french titles in the beginning and at the end. so there's no scenes missing. and as far as I can tell, the only difference between title1 and title2 is that they have different lengths of chapters, like different cell assignment(tho they use the exact same cells). not sure why, but it doesnt matter. even tho I included chapters in my mkv files I never use them.