Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 5th July 2020, 04:30   #1  |  Link
NerdWithNoLife

Streamlined process advice, dgindex/chapters/subs

Sorry if this sounds newb, but I'm wondering if anyone has a (modern) process recommendation to streamline DVD > mkv, preserving chapters/subs/alternate audio tracks of selected language. Heaven knows there are plenty of guides but let's face it: any DVD related info is probably 15 years old.

I'm very comfortable decrypting, demuxing, getting a template script into AviSynth, inverse telecining. And I've learned the hard way there is just no substitute for DGIndex to get frame accurate video out of an MPEG stream.

I was trying to do the lazy thing and rip MKVs of the english tracks (audio/subs/chapters), replacing the video with H.264. 95+% of the time that's great, and I have drag and drop scripts to get the AVS into ffmpeg and process away.

But this laziness sometimes results in video with the field order changing randomly throughout the stream, or audio sync problems.

I have a ton of DVDs on my backup list, so an efficient work flow counts. If anyone could PLEASE recommend a process to still use DGIndex, while preserving chapters audio tracks and subtitles, AND muxing it into one container, without being super laborious: I'd really really be grateful. (Even a link to a guide I may have missed would be fantastic.)

This forum's awesome, so much has been shared and learned. Thanks for you help.
Old 5th July 2020, 16:50   #2  |  Link
NerdWithNoLife

I got a workable solution. AnyDVD for decryption, DVD Shrink to grab the english tracks of the main title. DGIndex to accurately save a project and create AVS template. MeGui had the power to do the rest. Save chapter and subtitle files. Then adaptive muxer to put it together.

It's a little more work than just using MakeMKV and ffmpeg, but there's plenty of time during the video encode to get the chapters and subs ready to go. And it's assured the field order and audio sync will not be destroyed.

And everything works great with 64 bit Avisynth+ / MeGui, at 2.25x encoding speed.

Last edited by NerdWithNoLife; 5th July 2020 at 16:53.
NerdWithNoLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, process