Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th August 2014, 11:55   #1  |  Link
3hj

Advice humbly requested on optimal filter order.

Hello.

I have a non-profit film project I'm doing, with the intention of releasing it for free download/streaming online. This film is going to be cobbled together from a multitude of sources:

- 1080p HDV footage
- SD DVCam footage
- 2nd-gen VHS camcorder footage
- Hi-8 camcorder footage

I figure the prudent thing to do would be to release this project in 720p, because (a) I've seen some astonishingly good results with upscalers here and elsewhere on the internet but (b) I think upscaling VHS to 1080p is probably a bit too much of a stretch.

My question is about the 'optimal' order of filters, which ones to put in which order to get the best results. At some point, I'm going to use the following filters on the footage (the HDV footage will probably remain as-is, since it's pretty pristine):

- upscaling to 720p
- cropping (removing useless black/garbage outer edges on the VHS footage; turning all 4:3 images into 16:9)
- deinterlacing (all the VHS footage and some of the DVCam footage is interlaced)
- deblocking (some of the DVCam stuff has lossy DivX compression on top of the original MPEG-2 captures and has noticeable artifacting)
- de-noising (some of the VHS footage is quite noisy, and some of the DVCam footage was shot in low-light and is quite grainy)
- general de-VHS-ugliness'ing (seems to be a lot of filter chains built specifically around making VHS footage more pleasing, so I'll be investigating and probably including stuff like that as well)
- levels/brightness/contrast adjustment
- colour correction/colour grading
- sharpening where needed (not sure if upscaling would negate needing to do this?)

Might be subjected to some minor adjustments and filtering otherwise, but I think the above will be pretty much everything I'll be doing with AviSynth.

So. In what order would I stack these to get the best results? My assumption would be levels+colour correction -> deinterlace -> deblock -> denoise -> sharpening -> upscaling -> cropping, but this is just my gut feel, and I'm not too knowledgeable on the intricacies of filtering. What would you suggest? Any info/hints will be greatly appreciated.

Also, would I want to do the filtering before editing the footage together, or after? I would assume beforehand, but again, beginner knowledge and all that.

Thanks.
3hj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, filters, restoration, upscaling