Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th September 2012, 22:14   #13861  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'm getting a 404.
Old 15th September 2012, 22:21   #13862  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Oopsi, please try again now.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 22:22   #13863  |  Link
SamuriHL

Excellent, thanks!
Old 15th September 2012, 22:25   #13864  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Not this issue, but a looong list of others.
That's why I don't have the 7970 anymore (I even had three different ones and all were more or less defect by hardware too *wtf*. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Default settings should work just fine now.
Yup, madVR definitely gives rock solid playback performance now in FSE.
With highered presented frames in advance, I can watch any kind of video without any dropped or delayed frame nor presentation glitch.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 23:25   #13865  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
.... looks for a good passive (or very silent) 650.
What make/models look good?.... I'm no GPU expert but these seems to be similar in processing to a 550ti but with way less power consumption/heat output. I'd prefer those silent(ish) fan designs that dumps the heat out the back of the card.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 23:25   #13866  |  Link
Boltron

Guys, I was just following your comments regarding Nvidia vs. ATI. I have always used ATI and currently I run a 7770. Playback has always been pretty solid I usually get about 15 drops frames when I start a movie but then I can watch the entire movie without any noticeable glitches. The only issue I have from time to time is with music playback, I get small drop outs (some time). I use MC17, LAV and madVR in FSE. I watch 1080p/720p exclusively and mostly rip Blurays 1:1 (no compression).

So, I was just wondering why many of you favour Nvidia over ATI? I don't think PQ will be different, is there something I am missing?
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 02:29   #13867  |  Link
Mikey2

EDIT: I apologize, I did not read far enough back, it looks like you definitely do know about this.

Has anyone else noticed that the new NVidia driver 306.23 contains the following? :

"Media Player Classic Home Cinema displays a black screen during playback when using the MadVR video renderer. [960463]"

Does anyone know what this means? (I obviously have not seen any issue so serious.)

LOL and congrats on Madvr being under the radar of NVidia itself.

EDIT: If the issue is involved with 0-255 colorspace/BTB/WTW issues, I have been pushing 0-255 to my Pioneer Kuro without any registry fixes with my NVidia graphics card. I thought I had the issues resolved a couple years ago or so and I was displaying the correct colorspace without any "black crush." Am I incorrect? For instance, do I need to run the new "tweaker" Madshi posted a few posts back?

Last edited by Mikey2; 16th September 2012 at 02:42.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 02:39   #13868  |  Link
Mikey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Does NVIDIA list everything that has been fixed in the release notes? Seems like there are always many issues addressed not in the release notes
I believe that almost everything is posted in their detailed release notes:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Window...ease-notes.pdf
Old 16th September 2012, 02:52   #13869  |  Link
agustin9

All my problems with Amd were fixed lowering the gpu queues, I'm using 6 frames for that and for the presented frames in advance
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 15:18   #13870  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
All my problems with Amd were fixed lowering the gpu queues, I'm using 6 frames for that and for the presented frames in advance
This suggests that Mad might consider leaving size of the queues as a setting for users to change in the upcoming MadVR version.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 19:53   #13871  |  Link
Budtz

Quote:
Here's a little tweak utility which should be able to tweak NVidia cards to output fullrange RGB without needing to create custom resolutions:

http://madshi.net/madNvLevelsTweaker.zip

When using a multi-monitor setup, just move the tweaker window to the target monitor (the tweak is per monitor) before applying the tweak. This utility is also able to undo the tweak. Furthermore it should work without needing a reboot. It does that by restarting the GPU driver. Doing that might eventually make your computer explode, or result in your socks catching fire. So USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Of course it works fine on my PC. But then, my socks are fire-proof...
I tried this but it seemed to make my image to dark. I have tried to tjek the image using the same place in same movie madvr vs blurayplayer. the two images seem identical and correct without this tweak? i have set madvr to pc levels and i have a samsung tv from 2011 (d6530 i think)

can madvr compensate for nvidas defualt tv-leveles setting?
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 20:00   #13872  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If your TV expects the video in limited range, then you obviously don't need this tweak.
You can however still use it, and afterwards set madVR to TV levels.

GPU in Limited Range/TV Mode:
- Desktop still renders at full range, GPU compresses to limited range on output
- madVR set for PC levels outputs 0-255 -> GPU compresses to 16-235 on output.

GPU in Full Range/PC Mode:
- Desktop renders at full range, GPU outputs as-is
- madVR set to PC levels leaves the GPU as PC levels
- madVR set to TV Levels, leaves the GPU as TV levels (the signal is 0-255, but madVR makes all video only use 16-235)

In case your TV needs Limited Range/TV Levels, the second option may have slightly better accuracy in the colors, at the expense of your desktop being black and white crushed.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 16th September 2012 at 20:04.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 21:45   #13873  |  Link
Budtz

Quote:
If your TV expects the video in limited range, then you obviously don't need this tweak.
You can however still use it, and afterwards set madVR to TV levels.

GPU in Limited Range/TV Mode:
- Desktop still renders at full range, GPU compresses to limited range on output
- madVR set for PC levels outputs 0-255 -> GPU compresses to 16-235 on output.

GPU in Full Range/PC Mode:
- Desktop renders at full range, GPU outputs as-is
- madVR set to PC levels leaves the GPU as PC levels
- madVR set to TV Levels, leaves the GPU as TV levels (the signal is 0-255, but madVR makes all video only use 16-235)

In case your TV needs Limited Range/TV Levels, the second option may have slightly better accuracy in the colors, at the expense of your desktop being black and white crushed.
thx for the awnser.

i think i figured out my tv has a hdmi black levels setting. so i can adjust what my tv epectrs i think. the question then is whats best? set gpu fullrange with the tweak and tv to exspecy that or go with limited?
Old 16th September 2012, 22:00   #13874  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Go fullrange if your TV supports it. It results in less conversions being performed, so better image quality for all desktop, games and videos. Of course if your TVs HDMI black level setting is not implemented well, things could get screwed up again. So in the end you'll have to try both solutions and trust your eyes which looks better. Try the madTestPatternSource test patterns to check if you can see a difference.
Old 16th September 2012, 22:19   #13875  |  Link
Budtz

kk thx.

yes the tv's blacklevel for fullrange is called normal. I guess sugetsting that the "lov" setting does some converting. anyway with the tweak enabled and black level set to normal the image looks the about the same as with no tweak and a setting of "low". the image was pretty darn good before but i guess i cant see much of a difference.

it so annoying that tv manufatcures insist on using settings names like "contrast+", "motion plus" and "black level" with a normal and low settings. such names say nothing of what the settings actually do. dint know i had the abillity to choose full or limeted untill just now becouse of this. ah well.
Old 17th September 2012, 06:11   #13876  |  Link
Mikey2

I just tried running the "Tweak" utility. I was on my 0-255 plasma and it went entirely blank. I had to do a hard-reset of my computer. It now displays properly; however, I notice no difference than before. (I have madVR set to 0-255 and my TV set to the same. Blacks are grey when madVR is set to 16-235.) Furthermore, when opening up the Tweaker, the "force PC levels" is still not checked.

Does this mean that the "tweak" did not take? As I mentioned before, I am not sure I needed it in the first place, but I guess it was a dumb question since no one responded. Well, I'll try again: am I ok as it stands right now?

Boy I hate colorspace issues; they have been dogging me since I first built my HTPC!

Thanks in advance for any help,
MikeY

EDIT: In conjunction with some research on this thread, is the "tweak" simply adding/setting the " SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI " key (in My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{B0823740-41FA-45D1-8D11-E547D5CED249}\0001 ) to 1? If so, mine is there and set to 1.

EDIT2: My Mistake, that value is missing for my Plasma. (I know you said the Tweaker was based on the current monitor; I have three monitors and it was sensing the wrong set of registry keys. I do NOT have this value on my plasma, which is the only one I care about. Should I add it?

Once I had this pointing to the correct key, the tweak did in fact work and the checkbox is now on (i.e. I can undo it.) I am still curious on its necessity though...

Oh and I found this link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....43#post4278943
I assume that the first post is the custom resolution that should not be necessary with this tweak? (And the linked post is what your tweaker tool does?

I apologize that this post is pretty scattered; it is getting late and I keep finding out more as I go along.

Last edited by Mikey2; 17th September 2012 at 07:46.
Old 17th September 2012, 08:26   #13877  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Why not just change the .inf file (adding lines HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1?).
This is a one time procedure and no worries after that anymore.

@Madshi: can we expect a totally new madVR version soon now that NVIDIA fixed the most important thing?
Zou wel zwaar relaxt zijn!

Last edited by THX-UltraII; 17th September 2012 at 11:03.
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:45   #13878  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
I can confirm that on my HTPC (NVidia 9400 mainboard) the glitches seem to be gone with all tweak options disabled, without DX11 presentation, and even without "use a separate device for presentation". So this looks reaaaaally promising!
madshi, tested "Use a seperate device for presentation" CHECKED on my Optimus Ivy Bridge/Nvidia 640M-LE video card laptop with the new Nvidia 306.23 drivers and I still have the same problem as before I upgraded the video card drivers in that the playing video will pause by itself in FSE and then try to catch up when I go back to Window mode. This problem occurs when I use Zoom Player and/or Pot Player with my Nvidia card (Run with graphics processor ---> High performance Nvidia processor) instead of the default on-board Intel 4000 Graphics. (Note: that "Use a seperate device... " option checked works fine when I use Zoom Player/Pot Player with the default on-board Intel Graphics so it's definitely an Nvidia problem because it only happens when I use the media player with Nvidia graphics)

So before you decide to remove that option please don't as us Optimus users seem still need that "Use a seperate device for presentation" option....

Cheers

Last edited by andybkma; 17th September 2012 at 11:50.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:37   #13879  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ok, 6 months worth of replies, part I:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
Well the problem is not as bad as I initially thought. The only difference is that when I seek or fast-forward there is a small pause before movie playback resumes. I am using LAV software decoding on a 4,5ghz quad core processor. Before 0.82.5 seeking was instantaneous.
Have you tried disabling the "delay playback start until queues are full" (or whatever the exact name was) option? Does that "fix" the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Hey madshi, do you think the "queue output samples" in ffdshow would have an impact on madvr's performance? I remember the feature has been in there for a long time. I disabled it recently just in case.
I've no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
Is there a preferred tool to cut samples from h264 interlaced? I tried DGAVCIndex but after demuxing I get an unplayable .264 file
You could mux to TS and then use TsSplitter. Or you could mux to MKV and then use mkvtoolnix. Not sure, maybe there are better alternatives than these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
Is it possible to make a madvr where you leave the whole scaling part on the shaders away and leave that to the hardware but keep the rest ?
For Intel user that would be much much more efficient i guess having not the massive GPU overhead from the Shader Scaling part Especially on the less powerful Intel HD Graphics GT1 and leaving the scaling to the Driver and Egurs Hardware Asic Lanczos4 (Luma/Chroma) implementation
It's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
No, not really
Right after boot-up I launched MPC/MadVR : this way the dbghelp from the Madvr dir became loaded.
If I launch Process explorer then, I think that Windows will not load the dbghelp from the OS but rather use the one that's already in memory.
I don't think that's how things work. The processes are supposed to be totally separate from each other. If madVR is loading the dbghelp from directory A, ProcessExplorer can still load it from any other directory without any problems. Anyway, it should be no problem if you replace madVR's dbghelp.dll file with a newer one. Just make sure you really use a *newer* one.

Quote:
madshi, here is the sample from the silent film blu-ray: http://www.mediafire.com/?tsydibjadsd8zs8

I'm willing to guess that the end framerate after IVTC is still >24fps, hence the framedrops in 24Hz mode. The combing without IVTC isn't as pronounced as interlaced DVDs, I actually didn't notice it as first... but madvr seems to get rid of it completely
Unfortunately the file got deleted in the meanwhile. I'm sorry, it's my fault for being absent for so long. If you still have the sample, could you re-upload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libeluratio View Post
Hello everybody,

I am used to change the framerate of my 25fps movie to 23.976 with eac3to and mkvmerge but the "ctrl+j" menu of madvr still says they are 25fps movie.

I checked with mediainfo that tells me they are, as expected, 23.976fps movies.

Do you know what I could change to make madvr understand it is now a 23.976fps movie ? because when it misunderstands framerate, the info about "one frame drop every x minutes" is false, etc.

Do I need to retag my movies ? how ? Why media info tells me the good framerate and madvr is not ?

Thank you so much
That could have different causes. madVR shows what the decoder is reporting. So it could be a bug in the splitter or in the decoder. Which splitter/decoder are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
madshi,
I'd like to report a few problems with madVR I had since yesterday when I installed my new projector (EPSON TW9000 / 6010 in the US) which supports 3D.
First let me say that I'm truly amazed by the looks of bright 3D. I hate my local cinemas which don't want to invest in new projectors/lamps and simply ruin the pleasure with such dim presentation. I also hate the "authorities" (SMPTE) that agreed that the minimum standard for 3D in theaters should be 4.5 ft-lamberts, while the minimum for 2D is 12 ft-lamberts (recommended 16 ft-lamberts). That's enough hate for the moment - I will simply enjoy my bright 3D home cinema from now on
Now let me share my problems.
Everything started with the stupid limitation of NVidia that I can't have 3D (frame packing) on my secondary monitor - it only works on the primary. I lost a few hours searching the internet why I can't make my new projector run in 3D mode until a friend of mine told me that for him it only works when the 3D HDMI 1.4 display is the primary monitor. Does anybody know if ATI/AMD has the same limitation? Since my PC serves me both as HTPC and a workstation I'd like to continue using my LCD monitor as primary device and have the projector as secondary. This lead to problem 1:
After I watched a 3D movie with TMT I decided to switch back to my default profile (the PJ as secondary) and watch a 2D movie. I did so using UltraMon (if I remember correctly - it was last night and I had guests so I left the report for today - only managed to make a log file) and fired up Zoom Player on the secondary monitor and started the playback. Strangely all I got was audio and a black screen. At the same time the primary monitor was blinking like crazy. I did restart the player but it didn't help. I also tried changing the refresh rate / mode of the secondary display but it didn't help. I then changed the renderer to EVR and it worked just fine, so I was pretty sure it was a problem in madVR. I made a log ("madVR - log - blinking primary and black secondary.txt" - in the archive bellow) and I hope you'll be able to see problem. The only think that helped was a full restart of the PC.

Today I watched more 3D and out of curiosity I decided to test how will madVR behave in this "HD 3D" mode as NVidia call it. So here comes problem 2:
madVR shows a black screen and hangs the player when I try to seek. I've made both a debug log ("madVR - log - black screen + freeze on seek.txt") and freeze report which are also in the archive below.
In this "HD3D" mode EVR is showing images only for the right eye, with the left I see only a black screen.
I've tested the playback both in Zoom Player and MPC-HC and they behave exactly the same.
The Windows' desktop and player UI are OK ... except the right click popup menu in Firefox which behaves the same as the video window - black with the left eye and OK with the right ... also the UI of the ArcSoft's TMT 5 is visible only with the right eye ... but only until I start the movie.
To avoid "problem 1" I decided to change the display mode manually using NVIDIA Control Panel but left the projector as primary - didn't want to go to the PC at that moment. I did change it to a normal 1080p50 mode and the projector changed to 2D mode accordingly. I confirmed the changed and closed the control panel. So far so good. I started Zoom Player again and selected a recording of the today's F1 Australian Grand Prix and all of sudden both the NVIDIA and the projector were back to 3D HD mode !?!?!? How is this possible? What did madVR do to trigger it ?!?!? I'm not sure it's madVR's fault but let's call this "problem 3" for now.
This behavior made me remember something that I read in the notes when I finished the 3D Stereoscopic setup I did yesterday in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I think I saw something similar saying that the next time a player requests 3D mode it will lauch automatically and I don't have to switch manually from the NVidia Control Panel. This sounded nice but the question is "how is madVR requesting this special 3D mode".

Does anybody else have similar issues/experience with NVIDIA, a 3D HDMI 1.4 display/projector and madVR?

Here is the link for the log/freeze report files
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2u2niae9xzqgdub
The key problem is the reading VSync scanline information doesn't work properly, anymore. This is clearly a bug in the NVidia drivers. Nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
What is wrong with the "BT.709/601 curve" for gamma processing?
Nothing. If it looks better to you, you can use it. If your display is not perfectly calibrated, trying different gamma curves/values could help improving the image. If your display is perfectly calibrated, then using the power curves might be the more mathematically correct option. But it's still a matter of taste. The BT.709/601 curve simply has a different look to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Hi, I got a hang just now seeking in a bdmv. mpc-hc was still responsive, audio continued for a few minutes in the background, just the image froze. Also double clicking on the mpc-hc window to resize to fullscreen, I can see the image doesn't fill the screen so madVR isn't completing the resize to the full width of the screen while in this state.

http://pastebin.com/GTyQ9sAg

I'm using mpc-hc 4164, madVR v0.82.5, LAV from here http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...1-gd935c59.zip

Apologies if it has nothing to with madVR.
From a quick check I can see nothing wrong. It doesn't seem like a typical freeze, more like a state of not-working. In such cases a debug log helps more than a freeze report. I'm aware of that it's difficult to know for you which is needed in which situation. So if you have the chance, having both is always a good idea, just to be safe. Of course with non-reproduceable freeze, there's no chance for you to provide a debug log. In that case creating a freeze report can still be very helpful. Just not in this case, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
madshi, would it be possible to separate start of file delay and seek delay option?
I'm not sure. I always have to consider whether adding a new option is worth it. I understand why you want to have that option. But on the negative side, every new option makes the settings dialog more complicated and more difficult to understand for new users. So I'm not really sure I should add this option or not. I think I'll not add it for now. Maybe later. When madVR has reached v1.0, I might have to reorganize all the settings to make everything nicely sorted etc. Maybe then I'll find a way to add options like this without confusing new users...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
But now I was given information that it seems means I am not really using Madvr at all.

"the dxva native option wont work with madvr"
dxva is the only option that runs smoothly with my hd2600 pro.

So is that true? Am I not really getting any benefits?
Thanks
madVR currently does not support DXVA decoding. However, using the latest LAV Video Decoder version, you can still use DXVA decoding with madVR, because LAV finds a way around the madVR limitation. It comes at a certain performance cost, though. So you'll have to try if it runs fast enough on your PC or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Feature request: an option to disable the global hotkeys.

I know you have them enabled because there are situations in which the player is not the active window for some kind of reason. I've also read that you have vague plans to make the hotkeys configurable sometime. I'd ask you to add an option to at least disable them completely. I don't use them -- at all! Don't have to, maybe never will.However, I'm programming in Emacs at the same time, and Ctrl-R and Ctrl-J are both often used keys that I simply cannot use while madVR is running.
The problem is I don't have any place in the settings dialog where I could place such an option. I'd have to create a new section. And once I do that I can also go ahead and implement the customized keyboard shortcuts. So let me just up the priority on customizing keyboard shortcuts. Shouldn't take too long now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
Is there a difference in using madvr built in h.264 decoder or using lav decoder or ffdshow performance wise and IQ?
Nev is regularly updating to the latest ffmpeg/libav version. I'm slower with that. So there's a chance LAV might be slightly faster than the madVR built in decoders. I don't expect there to be a big difference, though. And if there is, it should go away once I update to the latest ffmpeg/libav version myself.

IQ should be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post
I am using mpchc x86 + hali media splitter + lav video x86 + madvr. Should I set LAV video configuration to use hardware decoder NVIDIA CUVID? It's set to NONE at the moment. Everything works fine.
Using NVIDIA CUVID or DXVA moves decoding from CPU to GPU. Whether that makes sense depends on which of those 2 is the bottleneck on your PC. Personally, I prefer software decoding, because it's been more stable and reliable in my experience. But then, if your CPU is a bit slow, or if you want to do e.g. AviSynth processing, moving the decoding to the GPU might make sense. I'd say just try both and use what works better for you. If both your CPU and GPU are equally fast, you'll probably not notice a difference either way.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:39   #13880  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurex View Post
Pardon me if this has been asked before, but is there any difference, all other things being equal, between madvr and evr custom pres when playing 1080p on a 1080p display? I take it madvr has better scaling etc but is any scaling actually done in this case? What about a resolution such as 1920x800? Does that need to be scaled?
Chroma always needs to be upscaled, and there madVR should have an advantage. Also, madVR's color conversion (YCbCr -> RGB) should be more exact than what EVR is doing. Furthermore, madVR also applies dithering, not sure if EVR is doing that. Finally, madVR also has a different presentation logic compared to EVR, resulting in smoother motion in certain situations. I'd say, just try them out yourself and check if you can see a difference. Don't just compare screenshots, though, also check for motion smoothness (over the runtime of a full movie) and check for seeking behaviour etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negi View Post
I often watch videos when my monitor is in a vertical orientation (1200x1600) out of laziness, but I noticed that under these circumstances together with the LAV filters, madVR dies horribly.
Yes, madVR currently does not support vertical orientation. I'll put this on my to do list, but it doesn't have the highest priority right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
So I finally decided to try a GTS 450 to use Cuvid instead of my HD2600 Pro with DXVA Native.
Well, first impression yesterday was not very good. It was smooth (which it was already with my previous one) but like it lacked a lot of punch to the image. I thought it was a matter of PC vs tv settings but did not look like it.
Then I started to think the problem was my contrast and brightness settings were somehow incorrect for this card...no idea why.
So I tweaked those and it started to look better..and details looks more refined (maybe I am using the sharpening in the nvidia settings)
Although in reality, changed to video playback section did nothing only the ones for desktop (the color vibration thing) worked.
So any settings I might be missing? I tried the ones in madvr changing from 0-255 to 16-235 and I can see the change there.
NVidia drivers default to outputting 16-235 when outputting via HDMI. You can fix that by either creating custom resolutions or by using the madNvNVidiaLevelsTweaker (link see a couple posts above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Here is a sample TS file that contains a mixture of progressive (1080p/25) and interlaced (1080i/25) video. EVR correctly shows the progressive parts (00:00 - 00:16) as 1080p/25 and deinterlaces the interlaced parts (00:17 - 00:44) to 1080p/50. However, MadVR just treats the whole file as progressive and plays it all at 1080p/25, therefore the interlaced parts show combing.
Thanks, I'll have a look at this.

Quote:
Has anyone been playing around with this option? I had it enabled until last night when I kept getting stuttering on certain scenes from a progressive PAL DVD. Turns out disabling it actually fixed the problem. The sequences it happened on seemed rather normal, with IVTC off there seemed to be no problem, but with IVTC on it would detect 'unknown cadence' and stutter. Is there any reason why it would behave this way if it were only looking at the center of the frame? Also, for those of you who use madvr to watch DVDs as well, do you have IVTC forced on even when the DVD is progressive? Would there theoretically be any adverse affects doing so?
Can I have a sample, please?

The problem can occur if there's a cadence break and there's not enough motion in the middle of the screen for madVR to find the new cadence. When watching the full screen, of course there's more information to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
So here's a possibly one of a kind feature I'm trying to cook up. not really sure if this is the part of the path to put it though. Here's the deal:

Texas Instruments DLP sets use a wobulation mirror to turn their half-res DLP chip's image into a full 1920x1080 image. This, in effect, is sort of a modified interlacing, where every other pixel (in a checkerboard pattern) is displayed every 120th of a second. What I'm thinking, is that this would allow for perfectly smooth 24Hz playback, without changing video mode from 1920x1080p60, if properly rendered into this checkerboard pattern. It would make sense to be done at the GPU level (simple for a pixel shader to handle). Expand the video up to 120Hz, then merge every frame pair down with a checkerboard mask (top left pixel is displayed first).
Interesting idea. But since I don't have such a DLP, I have no way to test if it would actually work ok. Developing such a solution without being able to test it doesn't sound very attractive to me, and since those DLPs are really very much outdated today, I don't think it's worth the time for me, I'm sorry. There are so many important things I still need to do for displays/projectors which are up-to-date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltron View Post
I have a LG LCD (LED Full Array) set which I have calibrated for both color (has yCMS adjustments) and grey scale with a colorimeter and ColorHCFR software. I am not an expert at this but I have done it a few times following a good guide and I am quite happy with the results.
You say you have calibrated it. How? Did you use the display controls to do the calibration? Or did you use yCMS? If you calibrated the display by using the display controls then in the madVR settings you should set it to "this display is already calibrated".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltron View Post
3) Devices > Color & Gamma
Do I enable Gamma Processing?
Depends on whether you watch in the same lighting conditions all the time or not. If you watch in sunlight or with room lights on, using e.g. a pure power curve of 2.20 might make sense. And that's probably what you calibrated your display to? However, if you watch at night with all lights turned off, going to a gamma curve of maybe 2.35 might make sense. So if you want to switch between different gamma values to adjust for different lighting situations, turn gamma processing on. Otherwise turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plew View Post
mpc-hc 1.6.2.4902, lav .50.5, madvr 82.5. Win7(64) GT450, amd athlon II x2 250, 3G. 8G memory

I can start to play a dvd, vob folder but if I try to seek or pause, mpc-hc hangs and becomes unresponsive. The seek or pause never happens. This is only using madvr. If I switch to evr it's good. 720x480 movies.
Not sure what's happening there. DVD playback is not officially supported by madVR yet. Could be caused by the splitter or decoder or by bad "team-work" between all filters. Or it could very well be a madVR bug. Maybe I can see more if you create a madVR debug log. Alternatively you could also try different splitters and/or decoders. Also make sure you update to the latest LAV version, just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I did that. It was on PC levels as it should. Switching to the other just makes all files wrong, and makes the test file worse.
Since then I've been tinkering with settings but nothing seems to work. Switched between driver versions also. (for gts450 BTW) Its the same with both PotPlayer and MPC-HC.
I tried resetting the settings with botha "restore default settings.bat" and manually by searching for madvr in the registry but even that didn't work. The settings didn't get reset to default.
Do you still have these problems? If so, can you sum them up again for me? Your reports are so spread over this thread that I lost overview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
means that decoder performs vertical chroma upsampling probably using NN (nearest neighbor) algorithm. Than EVR makes the same in horizontal direction, using the same algorithm, than shader fixes (smooths) the result.
MadVR does the same (chroma upsampling in horizontal direction), but using better (selected) algorithm, but it can't fix what decoder have done.

So, you just need to make decoder to output video without chroma upsampling (in YV12/NV12 format).
Very good analyzation of the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
Is there a way to disable the "Windowed" and "Exclusive" OSD message when switching from them?
Not at the moment. It's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
For those looking for a sharpener you might want to try FineSharp It's the best I've used but ffdshow is required.
Looks really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Madshi, is there any chance of adding negative 'b' values for bicubicresize?
Oh well, I'm afraid of making things too complicated. Yeah, it would be nice if the cubic parameters could be manually edited. But already right now this thread is flooded with questions like "which scaling algorithm should I use"? Can you imagine the questions if I allow to separate numeric options which cover everything from SoftCubic to Mitchell to Catmull to Bicubic etc? I'm open to the general idea, but I'm not sure how to do it in the best way for all users (noobs and experts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Madshi, I know you weren't particularly interested in cosmetics at this stage, but the "minimized" window from MPC that occasionally springs up before playing the next file is the only thing that's affecting otherwise perfect playback.
I hope you can patch that up in your next cycle.
Please let's look at this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhengwy View Post
Is there any plan to make translations of the Madvr release?
Probably at some time in the future, but not soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
what would you say about forcing the tightest NT timer resolution using NtSetTimerResolution()?
Good idea, will look into it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy688 View Post
Is there a *quick* way to enable/disable fullscreen exclusive mode?
Not at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy688 View Post
When using the main monitor, I don't need FSE mode, when using the TV, I do.
Makes sense. Maybe I should use the setting to the devices section, so you can set it per monitor? But then, probably nobody is going to look for that setting there! Hmmmm... Difficult...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling