Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th March 2012, 15:43   #12861  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I hope the fan doesn't raise when the card is in p0 state with just little load.
I wait for the Asus CUII design.

there are no p states anymore it's fully dynamic like with Sandy Bridge now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xello View Post

was Aero off or on ?

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 24th March 2012 at 15:58.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 17:01   #12862  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
There are still p states but there's a dynamic turbo which can also lower clocks, if I'm not mistaken.
There are still classical desktop and video states.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 18:04   #12863  |  Link
Xello

Quote:

was Aero off or on ?
on should i run with it off?
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 18:33   #12864  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xello View Post
on should i run with it off?
couldn't be wrong posting both results

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
There are still p states but there's a dynamic turbo which can also lower clocks, if I'm not mistaken.
There are still classical desktop and video states.
yep you right they left the video and desktop states i guess those wont be dynamic @ all i wonder though how that plays out for things like MadVR when they use the Cuvid API (Decoding) and Direct3D (Rendering) @ the same time

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 24th March 2012 at 18:37.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 19:14   #12865  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
@ all i wonder though how that plays out for things like MadVR when they use the Cuvid API (Decoding) and Direct3D (Rendering) @ the same time
I guess it will jump into p0 state as usual.
But as long as the fan doesn't raise, I don't see any problem.

With "Thermi" Fermi it's not great fun.
Especially not when you've raised voltage...
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 20:41   #12866  |  Link
Xello

aero off:

http://pastebin.com/vYbyGBcA
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 01:24   #12867  |  Link
Gelatinous

Have there been any reported issues with madVR causing audio crackling issues? I've been struggling with it for a while, and hope someone could shed some light on whats happening.

This issue happens exclusively on my USB soundcard; my internal audio is fine (though i cant use earbuds with my internal audio, which is why i'm bothering with this at all).

When i use madVR with its internal h264 decoder disabled, the audio on many video files will begin to crackle. Its usually most noticeable when a person is talking, manifesting as a not-so-subtle crackle in the background; low pitched sounds and background music do not seem to trigger it. This happens with both FFDshow's video/audio decoder and LAV's video/audio decoder and all combinations of the two.

When madVR's internal decoder is enabled and preferred, the audio is perfectly fine. When another renderer is used - EVR/sync/CP, VMR9, Haali etc - along with h264 from FFDshow or LAV the audio is also perfectly fine.

I've downloaded builds as early as 0.62 (apparently the first release supporting 10 bit, which the sample below is) but the problem is still there.

The clip below seems to consistently present the issue for me
http://www.mediafire.com/?gqvb44nt2clyeya

Thanks for any help.
Gelatinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 03:46   #12868  |  Link
shimaflarex

This probably has something to do with the video decoder priority.
Try using WASAPI with Reclock if you aren't already.
shimaflarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 04:21   #12869  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous View Post
Have there been any reported issues with madVR causing audio crackling issues? I've been struggling with it for a while, and hope someone could shed some light on whats happening.

This issue happens exclusively on my USB soundcard; my internal audio is fine (though i cant use earbuds with my internal audio, which is why i'm bothering with this at all).

When i use madVR with its internal h264 decoder disabled, the audio on many video files will begin to crackle. Its usually most noticeable when a person is talking, manifesting as a not-so-subtle crackle in the background; low pitched sounds and background music do not seem to trigger it. This happens with both FFDshow's video/audio decoder and LAV's video/audio decoder and all combinations of the two.

When madVR's internal decoder is enabled and preferred, the audio is perfectly fine. When another renderer is used - EVR/sync/CP, VMR9, Haali etc - along with h264 from FFDshow or LAV the audio is also perfectly fine.

I've downloaded builds as early as 0.62 (apparently the first release supporting 10 bit, which the sample below is) but the problem is still there.

The clip below seems to consistently present the issue for me
http://www.mediafire.com/?gqvb44nt2clyeya

Thanks for any help.
Check your DPC Latency, i'm using ati and had problems with it
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 10:59   #12870  |  Link
adam777

Regarding queues

Hello all,
As a general rule, what are the advantages/disadvantages of setting the queues bigger/smaller in madVR?

Last edited by adam777; 25th March 2012 at 11:30.
adam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 11:08   #12871  |  Link
namaiki

Guys, any suggestions for what settings to use for glitch free playback in exclusive mode?
I've tried many combinations of the 'don't use the following options unless you absolutely need them for glitch free playback' options and some options were better, but I couldn't seem to figure it out...

I have a single monitor at 1920x1080 at ~47.952Hz. Videos are 23.976fps. Graphics card is a GeForce 330M. I'm using Forceware 263.08 as I couldn't hack any newer drivers to allow hybrid graphics switching.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 12:22   #12872  |  Link
ryrynz

Try playing with the CPU and GPU queues values and frames to be presented in advance, they seemed like the most important values, at least when I had a 550Ti. Other than that, why not just stick to windowed mode? For me, FSE has never appeared to offer a smoother playback experience, just saying you could save some time and hassle that way, if it works well for you that is.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 12:22   #12873  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

namaiki, have you tried the FSE (old path) by unchecking 'Present Frames in Advance'? I'd test that out with various settings both with and without Aero. Use Reclock as well, if you're not already. FSE (old path) behaves more similarly to Windowed mode in that it only presents unique frames as needed, not every single VSync like FSE (new path).

In my experience, NVIDIA GPUs are unable to use the default FSE (new path) effectively, especially at higher refresh rates. They seems to run into presentation performance issues when presenting many frames in advance, resulting in either glitches or stuttering w/o glitches (frames silently dropped which are not reported by madVR). For peak performance with the default FSE (new path) and an NVIDIA GPU, you need to set the frames presented in advanced to a low value of 2 or 3 frames. At that point it's just matter of how sensitive you are to an occasional missed VSync.

I concur with ryrynz, that if you can't get FSE working well enough, there is nothing wrong with sticking with Windowed when using an NVIDIA GPU.
In general with NVIDIA GPUs, Windowed > FSE (old path) >>>> FSE (new path).
In general with ATI GPUs, FSE (new path) >> FSE (old path) >>> Windowed.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th March 2012 at 13:19.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 13:16   #12874  |  Link
druneau

I have a question about the GPU flushing options + non 24hz refresh rates for 24p content.

I run a 120hz LCD, and watch 24p content@120hz. do those options affect how the frames are displayed on the screen?

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to display "frame, black black black black frame black black black black frame" or will the nature of things make it so it's always the same frame repeated ~5times (120/24) then the next frame drawn on the screen?

Thanks,

Last edited by druneau; 25th March 2012 at 13:19.
druneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 15:09   #12875  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by druneau View Post
I have a question about the GPU flushing options + non 24hz refresh rates for 24p content.

I run a 120hz LCD, and watch 24p content@120hz. do those options affect how the frames are displayed on the screen?
No. They affect internal details about the way the GPU is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druneau View Post
What I'm wondering is if there is a way to display "frame, black black black black frame black black black black frame" or will the nature of things make it so it's always the same frame repeated ~5times (120/24) then the next frame drawn on the screen?
The latter. The former would be horrible and unwatchable, especially with 24p on a LCD.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 15:33   #12876  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
namaiki, have you tried the FSE (old path) by unchecking 'Present Frames in Advance'? I'd test that out with various settings both with and without Aero. Use Reclock as well, if you're not already. FSE (old path) behaves more similarly to Windowed mode in that it only presents unique frames as needed, not every single VSync like FSE (new path).

In my experience, NVIDIA GPUs are unable to use the default FSE (new path) effectively, especially at higher refresh rates. They seems to run into presentation performance issues when presenting many frames in advance, resulting in either glitches or stuttering w/o glitches (frames silently dropped which are not reported by madVR). For peak performance with the default FSE (new path) and an NVIDIA GPU, you need to set the frames presented in advanced to a low value of 2 or 3 frames. At that point it's just matter of how sensitive you are to an occasional missed VSync.

I concur with ryrynz, that if you can't get FSE working well enough, there is nothing wrong with sticking with Windowed when using an NVIDIA GPU.
In general with NVIDIA GPUs, Windowed > FSE (old path) >>>> FSE (new path).
In general with ATI GPUs, FSE (new path) >> FSE (old path) >>> Windowed.
Aaah! I can't believe I didn't even think of trying the old render path. It's like butter.

Disabling fullscreen exclusive mode and just using Aero is also just about perfect when using my laptop's nVidia GPU, but it's Intel GPU (old manual selectable/switchable graphics) is too slow to keep up when exclusive mode is disabled.

a lot. I should be able to get through some more movies. Everytime I see a glitch (and they would always come up during pans) I would be extremely tempted to pause the movie and fiddle to test different settings.

Yup, disable Aero in fullscreen and reduce GPU queue size and it's surprisingly usable on the Intel HD graphics chip as well.

Last edited by namaiki; 25th March 2012 at 15:59.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 17:41   #12877  |  Link
Owyn

Send bug report in madVR doesn't work, just opens this:

So far had two errors, last one crash when I tried to fullscreen video, could sent none reports due to this shown on image.
Owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 18:45   #12878  |  Link
dansrfe

I realize this may be off topic a bit but does anyone know what are the most accurate timings I can input for 23.976Hz on nvidia cpl? I find it weird that nvidia reports that my tv supports 23Hz, 24Hz, and 60Hz yet the 23Hz is more like 23.96Hz when using the default timings.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 18:57   #12879  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

I've been checking the "black screen" issue....
I get black screen only in windowed mode (fullscreen has image) if:
general settings: (enabled) use a separate device for presentation + (enabled) use d3d11 for presentation
exclusive mode settings: (enabled) present several frames in advance

I get black screen windowed + fullscreen if:
general settings: (enabled) use a separate device for presentation + (disabled) use d3d11 for presentation
exclusive mode settings: (enabled) present several frames in advance

Disabling "present several frames in advance" fixes black screen for windowed + fullscreen

Hope this helps.

Windows 7 x64 + mpc hc latest + latest madvr + 301.10 + gtx 470

Kado
Old 25th March 2012, 19:06   #12880  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
Disabling "present several frames in advance" fixes black screen for windowed + fullscreen
I can confirm this, switching to the "old" exclusive mode fixes playback in both windowed and FSE on my 680 with the 301.10 driver.
With the new mode, even windowed is always just black.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling