Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 13th May 2012, 14:32   #701  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_Sperling View Post
Is any chance that LameXP will use the Fraunhofer AAC dll library (used by Winamp) with the aacPlus wrapper?
Please refer to the FAQ document:
http://lamexp.git.sourceforge.net/gi...=HEAD#71a113b0
Old 13th May 2012, 17:37   #702  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Wow! Thanks a lot! Shame on me - I should check it more before I asked you.
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 21:58   #703  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Here is a TEST build with the new multi-threaded file analyzer:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0l8o6u...Build-1027.zip

This should make adding a huge number of input files quite a bit faster. Hopefully it doesn't break too many things

(Also fixed a potential crash, when adding a lot of files. Successfully imported ~8000 audio files today)
Old 19th May 2012, 11:31   #704  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

I would like to let you know that QAAC and mp3tag do not work very well together. I know that LameXP has nothing to do with it, but I just want to let everybody know. Actually I have tried every possible combination of both (QAAC 1.35 and 1.36, mp3tag 2.50 and 2.51) and every third, forth or so album shows errors in tagging. Tag&Rename worls very well with the codec. Nero and FhG are do not make any problems with mp3tag, only the above combination of QAAC AND mp3tag. I already informed Florian Heidenreich (the creator of mp3tag) about the bug, but no answer yet. I just let you know, because detecting what is wrong took me some time, and I do not want the bug would put on anybody's nerves.
Old 24th May 2012, 04:29   #705  |  Link
malch

I love LameXP and have been using it for years. Thanks for a wonderful tool.

However, the integrated updater drives me nuts. It creates/executes the file: $TEMP\random_string\lamexp_wget.exe. That's a real problem for those of us who use a software firewall to control outbound connections. The random_string element of the pathname means we cannot whitelist the updater because the pathname changes from one invocation to the next.

Could we have a static pathname for the updater, pretty please?
malch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:30   #706  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malch View Post
However, the integrated updater drives me nuts. It creates/executes the file: $TEMP\random_string\lamexp_wget.exe. That's a real problem for those of us who use a software firewall to control outbound connections. The random_string element of the pathname means we cannot whitelist the updater because the pathname changes from one invocation to the next.
First of all, installing a software firewall is mostly pointless. All "incoming" connections are blocked by the broadband router anyway, unless you explicitly add a port-forwarding (virtual server) rule. A software firewall may be able to block "outgoing" connections. But as the software that would open these "outgoing" connections is running on your local computer, just as the software firewall does, circumventing the software firewall is quite easily for a malicious application. So if you don't trust a specific software, then simply don't install it on your local computer. And if you do trust it, then just let it do its job. If you want to "sandbox" a suspicious application, a VM is more suitable.

Having said that, for what a software firewall can do, the built-in "Windows Firewall" does a decent job. Consequently there are very few reasons to replace the Windows firewall with a third-party solution. Of course the developers of these third-party firewalls need to give their customers a reason to switch. They need to remind their customers that their firewall software is doing something for the customer's protection. And they need to do this regularly. That's why these firewalls tend to react overly nervous and stubborn. After all you will end up adding zillions of exception rules to shut up the firewall messages, destroying pretty much all the extra protection...

Quote:
Could we have a static pathname for the updater, pretty please?
Sorry, I'm not going to change the design of LameXP, just because some software firewall is going nuts. I think a firewall shall protect the computer from unwanted connections. It shall NOT prevent wanted software from doing its job. And it certainly should NOT try to force a specif software design on thrid-party applications. A software firewall that interferes with legitimate software doing legitimate things is disqualifying itself.

BTW: If your software firewall doesn't allow you to specify a rule for "unblocking" Wget independent of the executable's fully-qualified path, then you should probably buy a book for first semester computer science students and send it to the developers of that firewall software. They might find the chapters about "regular expressions" and "hash functions" quite interesting...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th May 2012 at 15:54.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 22:34   #707  |  Link
malch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
First of all, installing a software firewall is mostly pointless.

Sorry, I'm not going to change the design of LameXP, just because some software firewall is going nuts.
Okay, I respect your decision even if I do disagree with your views on firewalls.

A software firewall is, in my view, a very effective anti-malware tool that involves a fraction of the system overhead imposed by the commercial AV programs that most people run.

And yes, it would be very simple to use RegExp matching for whitelisted programs. That would however defeat the purpose since of the firewall because malware would (indeed already does) attempt to disguise itself by using filenames that match the names of legitimate executables but installing itself in a different folder.

Finally, the software firewall that I happen to use does not replace the standard Windows firewall. It simply extends the existing capabilities of the Windows firewall via the MS documented API's.
malch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 23:01   #708  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
And yes, it would be very simple to use RegExp matching for whitelisted programs. That would however defeat the purpose since of the firewall because malware would (indeed already does) attempt to disguise itself by using filenames that match the names of legitimate executables but installing itself in a different folder.
Well, if the "malware" is at the point where it can install itself to an arbitrary location on your system, it may as well disable/reconfigure the software firewall to not get into its way. Also a software firewall can be bypassed in various ways by a malicious application, e.g. by calling a "trusted" application (e.g. your web-browser) in the background and let it do the communication for you. Furthermore I doubt any malware would try to hide itself as "lamexp_something.exe" - it would rather pick a popular application that is more likely to be installed on the machine. But if a RegExp-based exception rule isn't feasible, you may still use a Hash-based one. The included Wget binary is rarely updated, so the Hash won't change...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th May 2012 at 23:50.
Old 25th May 2012, 00:15   #709  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.05 Alpha-3

Quote:
Changes between v4.04 and v4.05:
* Added Swedish translation, thanks to Åke Engelbrektson <eson57@gmail.com>
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.14.2 (2012-05-12), compiled with GCC 4.6.1
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.57 (2012-05-02), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Implemented multi-threading in file analyzer for faster file import (about 2.5x to 6.0x faster!)
* Implemented multi-threading in initialization code for faster application startup
* Fixed a potential crash (stack overflow) when adding a huge number of files

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th May 2012 at 20:46.
Old 29th May 2012, 02:35   #710  |  Link
VzK

A problem appeared using v4.05 Alpha-3 build 1030.

When using Cue Sheet Importer, if cue filename ends with an ellipsis (...), an error message appears:

This happens often, I just have to click OK and then Browse and Select; but this time when I click Browse the program hangs and I'm forced to give it the three-finger salute.
VzK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 09:35   #711  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Okay, I see what the problem is here:

A folder or file name must not end with a . character. Thus a folder of such name cannot be created and we will have a problem

This problem is not specific to v4.05 though. Probably exists ever since the CueSheet importer was added...
Old 29th May 2012, 20:48   #712  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.05 Alpha-4

Quote:
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.57 (2012-05-02), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Implemented multi-threading in file analyzer for faster file import (about 2.5x to 6.0x faster!)
* Implemented multi-threading in initialization code for faster application startup
* Fixed a problem with Cue Sheet import and files that contain trailing dots in their name

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st June 2012 at 20:35.
Old 30th May 2012, 05:46   #713  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

I found an interesting review of LameXP yesterday http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...dio-converter/ A bit brief but shows pretty well what LameXP can do.
Old 19th June 2012, 21:21   #714  |  Link
Kadai

First of all, thank you for this very nice piece of software. I totally love it (on windows).

Yet, it has some bugs and stuff that can help a lot to improve it. I have seen all of them on Windows 7 64bits.

Not sure if someone have already reported this, but when you are about to split a cuesheet, and the created folder has the same name than a file on the folder, LameXP is unable to create the folder (So far I know, this may be an issue of the system itself), there is a way to detect this collition on LameXP and prevent this? (appending something to the name of the folder, for example).

Also, Other things I have noticed is that LameXP "discards" tracks when they have a name "too long". This have happened me with some japanese albums that have "long names". You have to manually rename folders and try again in order to get the ommited tracks included the next time. A bit annoyning, but not so really an issue of LameXP, but detecting this too might be nice.

Continuing with the topic, but this time talking about cue sheets in general... There is a way to prevent to loss the already added splitted tracks?
Let's say that you had a LameXP crash while trying to add a cue sheet, but you had added previously other cues to the convertion queue. All of them get lost after that. While it is not a big deal when you have splitted only an album... it can be annoyning if you had 20 or more getting ready to be transcoded... because you have to split them all again (to keep the metadata), so far I know.

And of course, the last one is also related to the cuesheets. There is a way to "batch add" cueshets? Like we do with regular files? Havng the splitter is wonderfull, but maybe the dropzone might also work as a detection zone (if a cue sheet is dropped there) and try to "split" the cue in the bagground and add the resulting files to the queue. But this will be a plus.

Other things I have found are related to the tags of th encoded files. For example, if the file has a "Composer" tag, it is not copied to the newy encoded file. That happens not only to that tag, but to many others (most of them outside of the basic and extended tags). Copying all the tags might be awesome. Also, I have seen that LameXP doe snot properly detects "tags" on vorbis comment (used mostly on flac files) and either ignores them, or join them "Artist / Composer". Other software, like soundKonverter, does tag the fiels properly using the vorbis comment from the flac file.

Oh, and also, LameXP works perfectly on Linux with Wine 1.5.6 (Kubuntu 12.04, as a portable application). Too bad it does not have drag and drop support.

Sorry for the long post, but those are my observations after being using Lame after 4 months so far! Hope you keep the nice work with it. And thank you!
Kadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 04:51   #715  |  Link
-Phantom-

I have a problem in converting flac 24b\96kHz to flac 16b\44.1kHz with lamexp
In program interface i can swich only sample rate.

Also there is a field for custom encoder parameters, but i need to know switches for changing bps and sample rate...

I would like to request to add cli reference (like "flac --help") for custom encoding parameters. Something like a "?" button near edit field.

ps:
parameters is
Quote:
--bps=16 --sample-rate=44100
upd:
after specifying the parameters, lame xp encode audiofiles without changing bps and sr
Code:
LameXP v4.05 (Build #1038), compiled on 2012-06-21 at 18:26:06

-------------------------------

C:/Temp/53389f20806a42b2a7a4c3476198ac42/lamexp_flac.exe -d -F -f -o C:\Temp\53389f20806a42b2a7a4c3476198ac42\68b4f6fc28a34c9db5ae312a0b06cd23.wav "G:\Downloads Torrents\Kreator-Phantom_Antichrist-EP-FLAC-2012-SCORN\a1. phantom antichrist (edit).flac"

flac 1.2.1, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.
a1. phantom antichrist (edit).flac: done

Exited with code: 0x0000

C:/Temp/53389f20806a42b2a7a4c3476198ac42/lamexp_sox.exe --i C:/Temp/53389f20806a42b2a7a4c3476198ac42/68b4f6fc28a34c9db5ae312a0b06cd23.wav

Input File : 'C:/Temp/53389f20806a42b2a7a4c3476198ac42/68b4f6fc28a34c9db5ae312a0b06cd23.wav'
Channels : 2
Sample Rate : 96000
Precision : 24-bit
Duration : 00:04:24.56 = 25397760 samples ~ 19842 CDDA sectors
File Size : 152M
Bit Rate : 4.61M
Sample Encoding: 24-bit Signed Integer PCM

C:/Temp/53389f20806a42b2a7a4c3476198ac42/lamexp_flac.exe -8 --channel-map=none -T "title=Phantom Antichrist (edit)" -T artist=Kreator -T "album=Phantom antichrist" -T "genre=Thrash Metal" -T date=2012 -T track=1 --bps=16 --sample-rate=44100 -f -o "G:\Downloads Torrents\Kreator-Phantom_Antichrist-EP-FLAC-2012-SCORN\a1. phantom antichrist (edit) (3).flac" C:\Temp\53389f20806a42b2a7a4c3476198ac42\68b4f6fc28a34c9db5ae312a0b06cd23.wav

flac 1.2.1, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.
68b4f6fc28a34c9db5ae312a0b06cd23.wav: WARNING: legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample=24
68b4f6fc28a34c9db5ae312a0b06cd23.wav: wrote 104742704 bytes, ratio=0,687

Last edited by -Phantom-; 23rd June 2012 at 05:32.
-Phantom- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 21:33   #716  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadai View Post
First of all, thank you for this very nice piece of software. I totally love it (on windows).
You are welcome.

Quote:
Not sure if someone have already reported this, but when you are about to split a cuesheet, and the created folder has the same name than a file on the folder, LameXP is unable to create the folder (So far I know, this may be an issue of the system itself), there is a way to detect this collition on LameXP and prevent this? (appending something to the name of the folder, for example).
It's a limitation of the file system. There can not be two items (files or sub-folders) within the same directory.

When LameXP generates the initial sub-folder name, it will check for existing folders and it will append "... (2)" when necessary.

It does not check for existing files of that name though. Collisions with files are highly unlikely, because files almost always have an extension (while folders almost always do not).

Anyway, I will make the check more throughout to avoid problems...

Quote:
Also, Other things I have noticed is that LameXP "discards" tracks when they have a name "too long". This have happened me with some japanese albums that have "long names". You have to manually rename folders and try again in order to get the ommited tracks included the next time. A bit annoyning, but not so really an issue of LameXP, but detecting this too might be nice.
Maybe you were running into the MAX_PATH limitation of the file system. If so, there's not much we can do here...

Quote:
Continuing with the topic, but this time talking about cue sheets in general... There is a way to prevent to loss the already added splitted tracks?
Let's say that you had a LameXP crash while trying to add a cue sheet, but you had added previously other cues to the convertion queue. All of them get lost after that. While it is not a big deal when you have splitted only an album... it can be annoyning if you had 20 or more getting ready to be transcoded... because you have to split them all again (to keep the metadata), so far I know.
LameXP usually won't crash

But if it did crash, you could simply re-add the files that have been split previosuly. You don't have to split them again. They'll still be there.

Quote:
And of course, the last one is also related to the cuesheets. There is a way to "batch add" cueshets? Like we do with regular files? Havng the splitter is wonderfull, but maybe the dropzone might also work as a detection zone (if a cue sheet is dropped there) and try to "split" the cue in the bagground and add the resulting files to the queue. But this will be a plus.
This is not currently implemented. And it would not be easy to implement that on top of current Cue Sheet import dialog.

Quote:
Other things I have found are related to the tags of th encoded files. For example, if the file has a "Composer" tag, it is not copied to the newy encoded file. That happens not only to that tag, but to many others (most of them outside of the basic and extended tags). Copying all the tags might be awesome. Also, I have seen that LameXP doe snot properly detects "tags" on vorbis comment (used mostly on flac files) and either ignores them, or join them "Artist / Composer". Other software, like soundKonverter, does tag the fiels properly using the vorbis comment from the flac file.
Well, this is not as easy as you might think. In order to "copy" a specific meta tag, you need to extract/parse that info from the original file first. Then you need to re-embedd it into the new file.

To make thinks worse, different file formats use/support different tags. Sometimes the same thing is called slightly different in different file formats. Or there is no clear standard on what tags are supported.

For LameXP I tried to find the "lowest common denominator" for alle file formats we deal with. "Composer" currently is not one of the tags supported by LameXP's internal representation...

Quote:
Oh, and also, LameXP works perfectly on Linux with Wine 1.5.6 (Kubuntu 12.04, as a portable application). Too bad it does not have drag and drop support.
LameXP does support Drag&Drop, so this might be a bug/limitation of Wine. There are other problems with Wine.

So using LameXP under Linux via Wine is not the prefect way. A native Linux version of LameXP is on my TODO list and thanks to Qt this shouldn't be impossible.

But as quite some Windows-specific code has aggregated over the years, this will be a huge project

(First step will be making LameXP compile with MinGW/GCC under Windows)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 20th June 2012 at 21:39.
Old 20th June 2012, 22:21   #717  |  Link
mariush

Quote:
It's a limitation of the default functions you use to handle files in the application.
Quote:
Maybe you were running into the MAX_PATH limitation of the file system. If so, there's not much we can do here...
This is also false. You can... Read on.

By default, the API functions will not (or should not) allow you to create files or folders with dot or space at the end. The file system can handle it just fine.

But an application can work around that, by using UNC names... read this page on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...relative_paths

Basically, for example ... create a folder TEMP in C:\

Create a text file called "a.txt" - this works.
Create a folder called "a" - this works.

So far, it's possible to create a folder with the same name as a file, as long as there's no extension or dot at the end

Create a folder called "a." - by default it won't let you. However, you can open a command prompt and type there:

C:\> mkdir "\\?\C:\temp\a."

and you'll see a folder titled "a." in that folder. Windows should open it, you might even copy and delete files in it, but you won't be able to delete it.

Run

c:\> rmdir "\\?\C:\temp\a."

to delete it.

You can use this prefix to create paths longer than 257 ASCII (well, whatever the default Windows page is) characters... just be sure to send each character as two bytes in the API functions... as in "\ \ ? \ C : \ ... "

User will be able to do whatever it wants with the files and everything but some applications may have problems with it... for example Windows Explorer may not delete the folder if the whole path is longer than 257 characters. User can rename a folder that's before the folder with the music, to bring the whole path below the 257 character limit and then he'll be able to move/delete/etc the folder with the music.

So... I don't know what to say, it may be a future worth implementing, but user should at least be warned if the total path will be longer than 257 characters (or whatever MAX_PATH is set to)
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 22:32   #718  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Well, technically some of the functions in the Win32 API may be "forced" to accept paths longer than MAX_PATH by using UNC paths. But not all of them.

Also the following warning should be considered:
The shell and the file system have different requirements. It is possible to create a path with the Windows API that the shell user interface is not able to interpret properly.

AFAIK the Windows Explorer doesn't permit the user to create folders with a path exceeding MAX_PATH characters. And it might not be able to access such a folder created by another application.

Last but not least: LameXP avoids using the Win32 API directly and instead uses the appropriate Qt classes for file access. I have no idea if these can work with UNC names.

(And even if they did, on the Windows platform, this probably would destroy portability)
Old 21st June 2012, 08:00   #719  |  Link
Kadai

First, thank you for the answers!

Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post

But if it did crash, you could simply re-add the files that have been split previosuly. You don't have to split them again. They'll still be there.
I have seen them when I have splitted from cue sheets, but for what I was referring is that, since they are wav files, they do not have any metadata on them... or they have?
To be honest, I have never added the splitted wav files. Just assumed that the metadata got lost. And after all, that is the important if you are splitting many files.

Quote:

Well, this is not as easy as you might think. In order to "copy" a specific meta tag, you need to extract/parse that info from the original file first. Then you need to re-embedd it into the new file.

To make thinks worse, different file formats use/support different tags. Sometimes the same thing is called slightly different in different file formats. Or there is no clear standard on what tags are supported.

For LameXP I tried to find the "lowest common denominator" for alle file formats we deal with. "Composer" currently is not one of the tags supported by LameXP's internal representation...
Yup, I do myself understand that. But to what I was referring is that I see very different results from LameXP and from other encoding software (namely, soundKonverter). See the screenshots:

Original Flac Files, and LameXP output files:

Original Files, and soundKonverter output files:

The main thing is that maybe LameXP is reading a tag it is not supposed to read )on that case), because it places there the "Arranger" rather than the "Artist". But it may be an isolated case, because those flac files appear to use this scheme: http://i.imgur.com/UAazk.png

But this may help LameXP to improve about tag accuracy when re-embedding them.

Quote:
LameXP does support Drag&Drop, so this might be a bug/limitation of Wine. There are other problems with Wine.

So using LameXP under Linux via Wine is not the prefect way. A native Linux version of LameXP is on my TODO list and thanks to Qt this shouldn't be impossible.

But as quite some Windows-specific code has aggregated over the years, this will be a huge project

(First step will be making LameXP compile with MinGW/GCC under Windows)
Thank you for your effort on this! And when I was talking about "Drag & Drop", I was referring about Linux! (It does not work, at least not on my system).

Despite that, I'm using LameXP over the native soundKonverter because your software is way better on doing the job and options.

Oh, and a last issue that I have remembered: When loading a cue-sheet that its on ANSII coding, it would be nice to have the encodings have a name attached to it. Having, for example, "IBM-1234" as an option is not as descriptive as maybe "IBM-567 (Languaje)". But I have work-around it myself converting the files to UTF-8 before dropping them on Lame.

By the way, thanks again!
Kadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 19:52   #720  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.05 Alpha-5

Quote:
* Fixed a problem with Cue Sheet import and files that contain trailing dots in their name

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st July 2012 at 00:18.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis