Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 24th July 2010, 22:19   #13581  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

Could a developer or informed user of MPC-HC please explain the "Mixer Output" field on the EVR Ctrl+J diagnostics? I see in some screenshots that it reads RGB32, but on my system it always reads YUY2, even if ffdshow is configured to transport RGB to the renderer. Does this indicate that a second colorspace conversion is occurring? If so, how does MPC-HC decide to set the colorspace of the renderer output — is it specified by the display driver?
Old 25th July 2010, 00:11   #13582  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Savage View Post
Could a developer or informed user of MPC-HC please explain the "Mixer Output" field on the EVR Ctrl+J diagnostics? I see in some screenshots that it reads RGB32, but on my system it always reads YUY2, even if ffdshow is configured to transport RGB to the renderer. Does this indicate that a second colorspace conversion is occurring? If so, how does MPC-HC decide to set the colorspace of the renderer output — is it specified by the display driver?
Check EVR pin info.

Last edited by namaiki; 25th July 2010 at 00:14.
Old 25th July 2010, 01:25   #13583  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Check EVR pin info.
This is unhelpful. Video renderers only have input pins, and that information is already known. What I want to know is if the video undergoes a further colorspace conversion before reaching the display, in which case software RGB conversion would be pointless.
Old 25th July 2010, 02:48   #13584  |  Link
Snowknight26

The DTS decoder causes visual and audible corruption in this sample. Switching to ffdshow for the audio decoding fixes the corruption.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 7th August 2010 at 17:54.
Old 25th July 2010, 07:58   #13585  |  Link
XhmikosR

Please, everybody, report the issues to the trac. No one is going to browse through so many pages to spot the reported bugs in the future. Actually this thread is pretty much useless IMHO.
Old 25th July 2010, 10:16   #13586  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
This is unhelpful. Video renderers only have input pins, and that information is already known. What I want to know is if the video undergoes a further colorspace conversion before reaching the display, in which case software RGB conversion would be pointless.
Well, I will tell you that at least from what I have seen with my eyes, RGB32+Dither is much better than letting EVR handle it (test video with a gradient, I can't tell the difference during 'normal' viewing). Overlay is a different animal, however.

Last edited by namaiki; 25th July 2010 at 10:20.
Old 25th July 2010, 10:51   #13587  |  Link
D.A.S.

How to make that MPC-HC display default external subtitle, ignoring the subtitle in the MKV?

Last edited by D.A.S.; 25th July 2010 at 10:59.
Old 25th July 2010, 11:09   #13588  |  Link
stasi

xvidvideo.ru hasnīt been updated since 3 weeks. Anyone knows whatīs going on?
Old 25th July 2010, 11:54   #13589  |  Link
oddball

OK I have another bug to report.

When playing back 29.97FPS sources on a 24Hz HDTV I get audio dropout when used with ffdshow as the decoder (MPEG2 source). When played with the internal decoder there is no audio dropout. Also if I switch the output to my 60Hz monitor I get no audio dropout. I want 24FPS output to my 24P HDTV but am unable to get MPC HC to play nice with ffdshow as a decoder on 29.97FPS sources. MPC HC plays 29.97FPS as 24FPS which is fine and dandy most of the time. But when ffdshow is thrown into the equation it breaks it.

Can someone look into this? It needs someone who has a 24P/Hz capable display to test.

BTW I use ffdshow as opposed to the internal MPEG2 decoder because I use the extra processing to clean up and resize sources so using the internal decoder is no good to me.

BTW tsMuxer shows there is no 3:2 pulldown in the video. It thinks it's a straight 29.97FPS. If I try to convert the video to 23.976 the muxing fails with some buffer overflow error. Maybe that can offer some clues?

EDIT: Well this is interesting. Even if I use Avisynth in ffdshow to do a realtime pulldown to 23.976 I still get audio dropout every few seconds. Outputting to soundcard (No ReClock involved here which I originally thought was the problem). I also tried using MPC HC's internal audio decoder. Same problem. Video decoding with ffdshow is the deciding factor here and nothing else. Basically when using MPC HC + ffdshow + 24P output on 29.97FPS sources = audio dropout. EVR CP renderer shows it's playing at 24FPS fine and I get no problems with video playback. If you were to say to me that I need to switch to 60Hz I would think 'OK' but the fact that it plays back 24P from 29.97 with no audio dropout when using MPC HC's internal MPEG2 decoder says otherwise.

Last edited by oddball; 25th July 2010 at 12:33.
Old 25th July 2010, 12:28   #13590  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi View Post
It was explained a couple of pages before - alexins is on vacation
Old 25th July 2010, 18:36   #13591  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

@stasi

You can get XhmikosR builds here.
Old 26th July 2010, 00:05   #13592  |  Link
dansrfe

MPC-HC refuses to start when Photoshop CS5 is running. I have noticed it happens when a particular process of photoshop is working named: CSSServiceManager.exe
Old 26th July 2010, 01:01   #13593  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

I'm using CS5 and don't have such problem. What is CSSServiceManager.exe? Never heard of it. Perhaps some useless service that I disabled and forgot about that? :P
Old 26th July 2010, 04:07   #13594  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

Quote:
Well, I will tell you that at least from what I have seen with my eyes, RGB32+Dither is much better than letting EVR handle it (test video with a gradient, I can't tell the difference during 'normal' viewing). Overlay is a different animal, however.
The question was whether or not the RGB32 got converted back to YUY2 in the EVR renderer. Since nobody was able to give me a straight-up answer, I thought up an exercise in Avisynth to determine what was happening.

Code:
Interleave(BlankClip(color=color_green, height=320), BlankClip(color=color_blue, height=320))
AssumeFieldBased()
Weave()
TurnRight()
Seems that the output is RGB despite the OSD claiming it to be YUY2.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:23   #13595  |  Link
a_afra

Quote:
Seems that the output is RGB despite the OSD claiming it to be YUY2.
I've studied the source code of the custom EVR renderer a bit, and it tries to set the output format of the EVR mixer to anything but RGB. Despite this, it always renders into RGB textures, so obviously the output can only be RGB. It doesn't make any sense, and I think this behavior is erroneous. According to an MSDN article, the output format you set and the one you actually use must match.

By the way, I believe this also explains why the 10-bit video path is so buggy. Yes, the GPU drivers have faults (the mixer should return an error code instead of crashing the entire application), but MPC tries to do something which is not really supported. For example, my NVIDIA NVS 5100m reports that 10-bit RGB mixer output is not supported, but it seems to be working anyway (only with progressive content). MPC should definitely check whether 10-bit output is truly supported before using it. However, I doubt that there are any such GPUs at the moment. The bottom line is, this feature in MPC is pretty much broken. The only valid solution I see is to use a non-EVR/VMR renderer that natively supports a full 10-bit video rendering path.

It seems that the drivers are too tolerant (lazy), but MPC should not rely on this. If the MPC developers agree, I will gladly help to fix this.

Last edited by a_afra; 26th July 2010 at 11:41. Reason: P.S.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:53   #13596  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

mpc

Quote:
mpc-hc x86 r2153:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lenll0k4hyoa6yc

Last edited by _xxl; 26th July 2010 at 12:56.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:01   #13597  |  Link
oddball

OK playing back the 29.97FPS MPEG2 clip using the internal decoder must have been a fluke because it's now doing it on all 29.97FPS sources. Must I really switch to 60Hz everytime I want to play anything at this framerate??? I have no audio dropout playing 25FPS (Just juddering on pans but I can use ReClock to fix that. The audio dropout occurs with or without ReClock). But 29.97 = audio dropping out every few seconds.

OK after further testing this is a problem with EVR CP with D3D enabled. Using EVR Sync or VMR9 I get no audio dropouts. I tried to capture the stats but it won't capture them just the sync bar and it crashes the player too. The green line goes WAAAAAAAY up off the screen then back down again and after a few seconds the player crashes. The red line has a few hiccups but is generally straight.

Last edited by oddball; 26th July 2010 at 13:23.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:05   #13598  |  Link
namaiki

Are you using Reclock when you get the audio dropping out?
Old 26th July 2010, 13:19   #13599  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
@stasi

You can get XhmikosR builds here.
what are the differences between his and alexins versions?
Old 26th July 2010, 13:21   #13600  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Are you using Reclock when you get the audio dropping out?
No. See post above (Refresh page because I edit a lot).

Last edited by oddball; 26th July 2010 at 13:23.
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc