Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 21st June 2016, 21:21   #2961  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Well, at this point I have little hope on the matter. Having no access to a linux machine, I can not do any test on my own to replicate the issue and to further thinking on how to solve it. Sorry...
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 00:15   #2962  |  Link
manolito

@Mister XY

As it seems Wine gives you a lot of trouble running AVStoDVD under Linux, have you tried running it in a VM with a Win7 installation? Sounds cleaner to me...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 07:23   #2963  |  Link
Mister XY

The reason is, i want go away from windows to use Linux :-). But i see is not so stable. I have also Windows 10 as first os and Linux Mint as second. So i have the option to use it under Windows.
Mister XY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 16:09   #2964  |  Link
manolito

Again an updated version of my A2D plugins:

Only the FFmpeg VBR plugin has changed this time. It fixes an undersize tendency for 1-pass VBR, and it now has an option to use Mplex instead of FFmpeg for multiplexing.

Background:
I have never been too happy with FFmpeg's muxing capabilities. But now I also get audio sync problems in some situations. FFmpeg always muxes the audio tracks into the MPG file with a -40ms delay. The MPG itself plays fine, even after repacking it into an MKV container there are no sync problems.

But after transcoding such a file to AVC/AAC (I use StaxRip for this) I do get an audio sync problem. MediaInfo reports this -40ms delay, and StaxRip feels that it must correct the delay. If you override the delay correction manually, everything is cool again.

Instead of digging deeper into this FFmpeg peculiarity, I decided to ditch FFmpeg for muxing altogether. Mplex IMO is more reliable anyways (of course it can't touch MuxMan), and it does not add an audio delay.

I included an older version which still works under WinXP using a non-SSE2 CPU. You can of course replace it with a more current version if your CPU supports it (DVDStyler comes with a much newer version).

Download link:
http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/3F9AcVNv/file.html

Just uploaded a newer version which is made for the current AVStoDVD_285_Alpha161027. I highly recommend to use this Alpha version, it has many improvements and is very stable.
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/YKGhbfmL/file.html

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
After toying around a little bit with the FFmpeg muxing parameters I found the culprit for this stupid -40ms audio delay. It is the "-f vob" parameter ("-f dvd" has the same issue). Replacing this parameter with "-f mpeg" or omitting it altogether results in a muxed MPEG2 file without any audio delay. According to the FFmpeg docs the "-f mpeg" parameter is only for MPEG1 program streams while "-f vob" is for MPEG2 program streams.

Whatever, I will use Mplex from now on...

Last edited by manolito; 13th December 2016 at 14:20. Reason: Updated BS1770Gain in Wavi_Mod
Old 9th July 2016, 16:51   #2965  |  Link
manolito

@MrC

Quick question for the developer:
What is the safest way to detect if FFmpeg is used for muxing?

A2D now uses FFmpeg for so many tasks, it is hard to keep track of all the possible parameters.

Right now I just check for the "-f vob" parameter in the command line in the hope that this parameter is only used for muxing. But I am not 100% sure if this is true (or if this could change in the future).

I see two other possibilities. First I can check for the "+genpts" parameter, and second I can check if the input parameter "-i" is used more than once. I believe that A2D only issues FFmpeg command lines with just 1 input file, with the only exception when muxing is requested.

I already tested the last possibiliy, so far I could not break it. What do you think?

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
Alright, I just went ahead and modified the plugin so it now detects if more than two input files are specified in the command line. Seems to be the safest way to me...

I also revamped the forced VBR modes. The forced modes for 1-pass and 2-pass VBR modes now include HQ modes, and these modes will now override any HQ settings made in AVStoDVD itself.

Example:
In the AVStoDVD preferences the user has specified to use FFmpeg in HQ mode. If in the plugin settings (ff_vbr.ini) a VBR mode with normal quality is forced (value=1) then the HQ setting made in the A2D preferences will be ignored. Seems more logical to me...

Download link in the previous post, please redownload...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 10th July 2016 at 20:36.
Old 15th July 2016, 15:06   #2966  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@manolito

there are only 2 places where FFmpeg is called to do muxing:

- during process encoding when selected output is 'Muxed MPEG2 File'
- when DVD Menu Full Preview option is activated in Menu Editor

nothing more "-f vob" is called both time and only for those 2 times.

There is an old issue related to FFmpeg muxing: when muxing a WAV audio, output MPG file has the audio track messed up. I had reported this issue to the developers many years ago, but there was no fix.

What about mplex? Do you get problems to mux WAV audio?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:55   #2967  |  Link
thescrapyard

Just a minor request :

If I install the very latest release of avisynth+ over a previous install of avisynth 2.6.0.5, AVStoDVD complains AviSynth is not installed and reports the avisynth.dll as 0.1.0

If I install the first release of avisynth+ then AVStoDVD correctly reports the avisynth.dll as 2.6.x.x and runs as normal

If I now manually overwrite the avisynth.dll with the latest avisynth+ r2076, it once again complains the avisynth.dll is 0.1.0

I'm assuming this is down to the version of avisynth.dll being updated to take into account the current progress on the MT issues and various other issues that avisynth+ had in the past so as not to confuse matters

The problem is now that AVStoDVD won't run unless it detects avisynth.dll as 2.6.x.x

Is there anyway that this can be changed so that as long as the avisynth.dll is detected it doesn't matter what version is returned. This should fix the incorrect version errors and allow me to try out the updated avisynth+, which can be quite a bit faster that avisynth as plugins and external plugins have been updated and quite a few issues fixed and also MT mode runs as default without using a patched avisynth as I have in the past to squeeze as much as I can out of the encoding

I've pointed this issue out on the avisynth+ forums as well, but removing the version checks of avisynth.dll should stop the incompatibility error

Thanks for all your continuing hard work

Last edited by thescrapyard; 23rd July 2016 at 10:58.
thescrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 11:44   #2968  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@thescrapyard

wait, if the AviSynth release check routine reports "0.1.0", then A2D will give you just a warning. Just ignore the warning and go ahead. Instead there is a show stop when AviSynth.dll is not found from the path taken from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AviSynth" registy key.

Which is your case?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 24th July 2016, 08:12   #2969  |  Link
thescrapyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
@thescrapyard

wait, if the AviSynth release check routine reports "0.1.0", then A2D will give you just a warning. Just ignore the warning and go ahead. Instead there is a show stop when AviSynth.dll is not found from the path taken from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AviSynth" registy key.

Which is your case?

Bye

I'll have to do a bit more testing and recreate the steps I took, but its working now. I uninstalled avisynth+, reinstalled avisynth and then manually copied the avisynth+ r2076 overwriting the avisynth.dll

That appears to have worked, but some reason if you install avisynth, then avisynth+ so that everything now uses avisynth+ thats when it all goes wrong. Maybe pointers are being changed that wrere being checked but now don't exists. I had this issue in the past and can't remember how I fixed it

I'll try again when I've a bit more time and try seeing if pointers have been changed after installing avisynth+
thescrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 12:19   #2970  |  Link
manolito

Hi MrC and thanks for the detailed reply...
And sorry for the delay, I just came back from my annual motorcycle trip. This year it was northern Italy and Switzerland. We stayed in Domodossola for some days and did the Swiss Alpes from there (Furka, Nufenen, Gotthard, Grimsel and Susten).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
@manolito

there are only 2 places where FFmpeg is called to do muxing:

- during process encoding when selected output is 'Muxed MPEG2 File'
- when DVD Menu Full Preview option is activated in Menu Editor

nothing more "-f vob" is called both time and only for those 2 times.

There is an old issue related to FFmpeg muxing: when muxing a WAV audio, output MPG file has the audio track messed up. I had reported this issue to the developers many years ago, but there was no fix.

What about mplex? Do you get problems to mux WAV audio?

Bye
So just checking for "-f vob" would be sufficient, thanks for the info. I think for now I will leave it as it is (checking for more than one input file) until I or someone else finds a problem...

For me the FFmpeg muxing problem is not the broken WAV muxing, it is the delay it introduces. Take DVD compliant audio and video streams and mux them once using FFmpeg and then using Mplex or Imago. Then feed the resulting files to MediaInfo. Only the file muxed with FFmpeg will show a -40 ms delay.

Mplex cannot mux WAV files directly.
Quote:
Mplex cannot directly mux WAV files, they must be converted to
LPCM first. This can be done with eac3to:

eac3to.exe input.wav output.lpcm

(Note: The extension has to be .lpcm, .pcm will not work with Mplex)

The command line for muxing should look like this:

Mplex.exe -f 8 -o output.mpg input.m2v input.lpcm

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 26th July 2016 at 12:29.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:34   #2971  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Thanks manolito for the reply.

I agree that FFmpeg should be dropped for mpg muxing.

I have noticed that Mplex can handle properly ac3 and mp2. Very interesting the workaround for wav (intermediate conversion to pcm). I'm wondering if wav>pcm can be performed only by eac3to or also FFmpeg is capable. I would be not so happy to include eac3to to A2D package just for this purpose...

Will check.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 27th July 2016, 19:31   #2972  |  Link
manolito

Did some googling and found that FFmpeg can convert WAV to RAW, but you need to specify bit depth, big or little endian and signed or unsigned. And mainly I have no idea if RAW is the same as LPCM...

Cheers
manolito
Old 28th July 2016, 17:27   #2973  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

RAW should be PCM without header.

If I remember correctly Wavi can output RAW PCM. Have to check if Wavi RAW can be accepted by Mplex.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 16th October 2016, 16:09   #2974  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

New 2.8.5 alpha release is out.

Change log:

- Some bugs fixed
- Added 'IVTC' option (Inverse Video Telecine routine for hard-telecined NTSC source) to 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth' section
- Added TIVTC plugins package to implement IVTC (TFM.TDecimate)
- Added tooltips to 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth' options
- Substituted FFmpeg with Mplex for MPEG2 muxing
- Refactored wave PCM audio stream retaining
- Forced selection of Full-D1 resolution when using FFmpeg and high bitrates (6500+) to avoid padding
- FFMpegSource plugin updated to release 2.22 (r1103 C plugin)

Most of new features are inclusions of the several and valid mods by manolito. Unfortunately I have had very few time to carefully debug those new feats. I guess the bravest of you will help with the usual competency.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 17th October 2016, 02:29   #2975  |  Link
manolito

Hi MrC and thanks a lot for the new version...

To be honest I was afraid that you had stopped working on AVStoDVD, the last version came out half a year ago. The forum was also very quiet, so I guessed that the days of converting stuff to DVD were numbered.

But I was wrong. Almost 60 downloads within a few hours after the announcement, that's not bad. I will start testing later tonight.

Do you have download URLs to some hard telecined clips?

And another question about this:
Quote:
- Forced selection of Full-D1 resolution when using FFmpeg and high bitrates (6500+) to avoid padding
This is of course one of the possible workarounds. The other one is to limit the CBR bitrate for VCD resolutions to 7190 kbps or 6330 kbps (for NTSC). This is how my FF_VBR plugin does it, and I probably prefer this to upscaling a source with a frame size equal or smaller than VCD.

Thanks again and cheers
manolito
Old 17th October 2016, 05:07   #2976  |  Link
manolito

Alright, here are my first quick test results:

The forced Full D1 selection does not work right now because the resize parameters do not correctly appear in the AVS script. The script still has a resize command which resizes to VCD.

The Mplex version which comes with the Alpha does not work on my WinXP Non-SSE2 computer. I have a different compile of the same version which does (comes with the latest version of my FF_VBR plugin).

The Mplex parameters are questionable IMO. The -f 3 parameter should not be used for target files which later may be authored to DVD. Use -f 8 instead (MPEG2 with DVD Nav Packs). And the LPCM parameters cannot be used for muxing WAV files, the WAV has to be converted to LPCM first. If you do not do this, the -L parameters are useless.

The ffms2 C-Plugin integration works well. This will probably be the last version which works under XP, qyot27 has stopped compiling ffms2 C-Plugins. I believe that the file "ffms2.avsi" is not required in the A2D\Lib folder as it never gets called.

And of course I will start translating the new tool tips for the German language files, just give me a day or two...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 17th October 2016 at 05:10.
Old 17th October 2016, 12:07   #2977  |  Link
manolito

Creating an MPEG2 file with PCM audio actually works well. The FFMpeg command to convert a WAV file to LPCM actually works (I never got it to work so far), and Mplex happily muxes this LPCM audio. Still I think that "-f 3" should be replaced by "-f 8". I hex edited the A2D executable to do just this, and the results were beautiful.

Still I have questions about detecting hard telecined sources. How can you tell if a 29.97 source is truely interlaced, or if it is hard telecined? Does MediaInfo tell you the difference?

Cheers
manolito
Old 18th October 2016, 05:29   #2978  |  Link
manolito

Spent the last couple of hours with the new IVTC feature, here is what I found:

First of all I could not find any hard telecined sample clips for download, so I made some myself...

Quote:
How can you tell if a 29.97 source is truely interlaced, or if it is hard telecined?
The answer is simple, A2D does not make any attempt to detect hard pulldown automatically. The IVTC checkbox becomes active whenever the source has a frame rate of 29.97 fps and is flagged as interlaced.

So it is the responsibility of the user to make sure that the source is really hard telecined before using the IVTC option. I am not aware of any automatic method for this, which means that the user must step through the source frame by frame and make sure that there is a constant 3:2 pulldown pattern. Using IVTC on truly interlaced content will lead to catastrophic results.

I noticed that when a standard conversion to PAL is done at the same time, the fps change behavior is not consistent. Right now A2D always uses a hard fps change command (like ChangeFPS) to bring up the rate to 25 fps. IMO it should behave like it does for a 23.976 progressive source file, and this is use either PAL speedup (if the checkbox is ticked) or use DGPullown.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 18th October 2016 at 12:49.
Old 18th October 2016, 06:52   #2979  |  Link
manolito

As promised, here come the updated parts of the German language file:

Quote:
350000 AviSynth
350001 AviSynth Script Editieren
350010 Automatisch erstellen
350110 Beschneiden
350111 Überflüssige Pixel von den Bildern abschneiden
350120 Vertikale Größenänderung
350121 Vergrößern/Reduzieren des Seitenverhältnisses
350130 Trimmen
350131 Einen Teilbereich des Videos auswählen
350140 Ein-/Ausblenden
350141 Lineares Blenden zu Schwarz am Beginn und am Ende
350150 Info anzeigen
350151 Überlagern des Videos mit den Clip-Eigenschaften
350210 Tweak
350211 Justieren von Farbton, Sättigung, Helligkeit und Kontrast des Videos
350220 ColorMatrix
350221 Colorimetrie-Umwandlung unter Benutzung unterschiedlicher Koeffizienten
350310 DeBlock
350311 Block-Artefakte aus den Bildern entfernen
350320 De-Interlace
350321 Interlaced Video zu Progressive umwandeln
350330 Schärfen
350331 Die Bildkanten schärfen. Negative Werte machen das Bild unschärfer
350340 MSharpen
350341 Schärft die Ränder ohne das Bildrauschen zu verstärken
350350 HQDN3D
350351 Entfernt hochfrequentes Bildrauschen, minimiert Blending-Artefakte
350360 IVTC
350361 Macht Video-Telecine rückgängig, um die Original 24 fps progressiven Bilder wiederherzustellen
350410 Audio-Verstärkung
350411 Audio-Lautstärke um gewählten Wert verändern
350420 Audio-Verzögerung
350421 Einen zeitlichen Versatz zwischen Audio und Video einstellen
Please note that the tool tip for Audio Delay does not get displayed by the current Alpha (same for English language file).

Cheers
manolito
Old 19th October 2016, 10:28   #2980  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Thanks manolito for the extensive testing of the new features. You have been my saviour so many times...

FFmpeg padding with VCD: I agree with your suggestion. The method to alter the max bitrate instead of the resolution is more elegant and effective.

Mplex: ok I will put -f 8 instead of -f 3, even if Muxman does not complain if I use -f 3. I will also grab the release from your plugin to support non-SSE2 cpu. Is that release a special compiled one or just an older release?

IVTC: I have found no "auto" way to detect if a NTSC source is hard telecined or truly interlaced, so the checkbox becomes available (not greyed out) if the source is NTSC interlaced. Then the user has the responsibility to check the IVTC option to definitively activate the reverse telecine function.

Interlaced PAL to NTSC conversion: AFAI remember, pulldown or PAL speedup should be applied only to progressive sources. I have to check.

Thanks a lot for the German translation too! Good job!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum