Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd September 2012, 13:46   #13941  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

You can try Ctrl+I. It works for me.
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:34   #13942  |  Link
oddball

Thx. I'm having issues with the occasional frame drop which is annoying since I have the HDTV synced at 23.976Hz with a .00003Hz deviation. I can't figure out why MadVR says 1 frame drop every 30+ minutes. I thought it would be telling me several hours if not days when the Hz to FPS is so spot on. I am using LAV filters BTW.

EDIT: Oh and I have another issue. If I play a video with Directx11 enabled and use a separate thread ticked. If I then click away from the video window the video freezes whilst the audio continues. If I disable use a separate thread it works as expected. I've also noticed this weird back and forth glitch on certain settings (whereby the video seems to be repeating previous frames continuously). This often happens when using ffdshow audio with jitter correction enabled but I have seen it happen with it disabled too (or using LAV audio decoder instead).

GTX560Ti BTW with 306 drivers (did it before with older drivers though).

Last edited by oddball; 23rd September 2012 at 04:47.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:57   #13943  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I can't figure out why MadVR says 1 frame drop every 30+ minutes.
What does madVR report as your 'Display Hz' & 'Clock Deviation %' after you let it stabilize?
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:43   #13944  |  Link
AndreaMG

Hi madshi,

pixel shaders will be integrated the way EVR custom does? Will we be able to choose between pre and post-resize shaders and utilize directly the scripts from EVR custom? It will be fantastic to finally be able to use a post-resize sharpener in madVR without recurring to the TV set sharpening (which is usually crap) or NVIDIA enhancements.

I’ve seen you mentioned Dideé's "fine sharp", which to my eyes is the best around (better than Seesaw and LFSMod), do you think it will be possible to integrate it into madVR via pixel-shaders (GPU) so that we can sharpen AFTER resize with madVR?

It will be also cool to integrate into the interface the most common pixel shaders and to be able to tweak the basic parameters directly from madVR interface (like ffdshow does!).

Thanks
AndreaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:35   #13945  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
What does madVR report as your 'Display Hz' & 'Clock Deviation %' after you let it stabilize?
With use D3D11 for presentation ticked

After 8 minutes playback

display 23.97603Hz
Composition rate 59.940Hz
clock deviation 0.00179%
1 frame drop every 37 minutes but never seems to get past a certain amount (like never in hours).

use seperate thread is disabled. I always get 1 presentation glitch from start. I sometimes get an error message box popup on MPC exit but it vanishes from the screen too fast for me to see what it is. Does not happen if D3D11 is unticked.

Again after 8 minutes playback.

With D3D11 unticked and use seperate thread ticked.

display 23.97603Hz
clock deviation 0.00195%
1 frame drop every 34 minutes. Again it never seems to go any higher.

ctrl-j says 0 dropped frames , delayed frames and glitches but need to wait for the movie to get past around the 2 hour mark to know (I am using a 3 hour 1080p movie as a test) if it actually does.

With D3D11 unticked and use seperate thread unticked I get a slightly lower clock deviation and it gets there bit quicker.

If I use ReClock in the chain (allowing the not recommended bitstream processing) deviation goes down to single digits. With D3D11 enabled it says 1 dropped frame every so many days. With D3D11 unticked, several hours. However I don't know about dropped audio frames. It says in ReClock 1 repeat audio frame initially. I would need to play something for a couple of hours to see if I get any dropped/repeated audio (and video) frames using that.

BTW if I tick A/V Sync in LAV audio decoder I always get dropped frames at the beginning of playback. I usually have it unticked.

I'm thinking I might just use ReClock as I can suffer the occasional dropped audio frame. I tend not to notice those unless there are lots of them and music is playing. Video frame drops however I nearly always notice.

Oh and I use CUVID for decoding. I am going to try MadVR's software decoding to see if I get any different results.

EDIT: Just a quick test of using MadVR's video decoding does not seem to make any difference.

I am thinking ReClock does a better job of correcting any fluctuations in a/v sync or jitter? I don't have any vsync on in ReClock so don't know what it's actually doing to get the better playback figures (WASAPI perhaps?)

EDIT: One other thing. I use SPDIF output from my motherboards onboard sound (SoundMax) as my receiver is old and does not support HDMI audio. I am thinking the audio clock is not so good on the onboard soundcard which may be why ReClock has to compensate?

Last edited by oddball; 23rd September 2012 at 13:01.
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:03   #13946  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
display 23.97603Hz
clock deviation 0.00179%
Optimal Refresh Rate: 23.97645Hz

Quote:
display 23.97603Hz
clock deviation 0.00195%
Optimal Refresh Rate: 23.97649Hz

The reason madVR never reports greater than ~35-40 minutes for you is because your refresh rate is 0.00042Hz to 0.00046Hz too low. If you are able to get closer to the optimal refresh rate values for your PC, you should be able to avoid dropped frames without using ReClock.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:35   #13947  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Optimal Refresh Rate: 23.97645Hz

Optimal Refresh Rate: 23.97649Hz

The reason madVR never reports greater than ~35-40 minutes for you is because your refresh rate is 0.00042Hz to 0.00046Hz too low. If you are able to get closer to the optimal refresh rate values for your PC, you should be able to avoid dropped frames without using ReClock.
I see. Hmm. That is awkward. I have to set a custom timing of 1125 total vertical pixels. If I set it to 1124 as outlined in several guides I get a line at the bottom of the display. If I just change the framerate to 23.976 (and don't touch any of the other timings) like that it is out of range of the display. I have to adjust the total horizontal pixels to either 2749 or 2752 but then I don't get the Hz you are saying is optimal. Closest I get is 23.97629Hz using 2752 or 23.97663Hz using 2749.

I can't seem to get to the magical 23.97645-49 mark you suggest is the optimal refresh rate.

1124 total vertical pixels and 23.978 as outlined in a few places I have Googled is a no go. Nvidia 306 drivers just as a reminder

EDIT: I give up. I am going to contiue using ReClock with the refresh set at 23.97603Hz as it gives a calculation of 1 frame drop in the days (vs 1 frame drop within 2 hours if I set to 23.97663Hz - the closest I can get to the 45-49 mark - and no ReClock in the chain). I am thinking it's either an issue with Nvidia or my HDTV's EDID or it just not supporting that refresh rate (hardware or firmware issue perhaps).

Last edited by oddball; 23rd September 2012 at 14:00.
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:38   #13948  |  Link
Xaurus

Where does this 23.97650 "optimal refresh rate" come from?

I have it as close to 23.97600 as possible and I have no problems...
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:55   #13949  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

In the perfect world, its 23.9760239760...... (24000/1001).
However, clocks are not accurate, so there is clock deviation coming in. You need to calculate this clock deviation into the refresh rate if you want a "truely" perfect result, its different for every hardware, basically.

The clock deviation is also the knob ReClock uses to adjust playback for a slightly off refresh rate.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:50   #13950  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
1) How do we determine the gamma/transfer function input and desired output?

2) If we have calibrated our display with the Windows calibration tool (at the moment, and yes madVR does respect the calibrated values. I tested this.) Should we enable "This display is already calibrated and if so which gamma transfer function should we choose (essentially question 1)? After testing and looking at monitor specs I have determined that the gamma level is 2.2 (I didn't touch that while calibrating via the Windows calibration tool).

I've heard some people say that the output gamma should be set to 2.4 for movie content? This tends to darken the gamma bit from 2.2 and seems to either improve or over-darken the picture. Not sure what to conclude on that. Any tips?
I'm not really an expert on calibration stuff. If you know how the Windows calibration tool has calibrated your display and if that calibration stays active with madVR running, then set it to "This display is already calibrated" and enter how Windows calibrated your display. If you don't know that, set it to "Disable calibration controls". Or if you have a meter, you can use yCMS for calibration. Gamma 2.4 is for batcaves, meaning you should have black ceiling and walls and total light control. If you have ambient light in the room, Gamma 2.4 will probably be too dark, and the ambient light will eat the shadow detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
When I try to display pictures, I can see only "Color Space Converter" as the additional filter other than the video renderer. I have checked this using VMR9, Overlay and EVR renderers too.
Ok, but what is the source filter? In MPC-HC right click on the video, click on "Filters", then click on the source filter. That's usually the one which shows the source file name. Then copy the text from the "Pin Info" tab and post it here.

Quote:
Is it possible for you to add a checkbox option to automatically disable the wallpaper changer
Is there an API available to control the wallpaper changer? I'm not aware of such an API. If there is none, there's no way for madVR to disable it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w813 View Post
See the color tracking of my TV below. Is there anyway I can use tools(?) or manually build a 3DLUT to be used in MadVR to fix the non-linear saturation points of the primaries and secondaries?
Not for now. This is one of the things which yCMS 2.x is supposed to fix. I've been in contact with the yCMS developer and he might start working on yCMS soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
I have tried disabling the "use a seperate device for presentation", and I get a few frame drops with it from time to time. With it on I get 0 frame drops. Thought I better give that piece of feedback in case options like this might be permanently hidden.
This option will stay, and it will stay enabled by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Do I need to share a sample if I find a movie that isn't deinterlacing properly?
If you're interested in having the problem looked at (and fixed, if it's a bug in madVR) then yes, please.

Quote:
Is there a way to show the playback time without exiting fullscreen exclusive mode?
Yes, by updating to the latest madVR v0.83.

Quote:
If I play a video with Directx11 enabled and use a separate thread ticked.
Both these options will be gone in v0.83 because they're not needed, anymore, thanks to the latest NVidia driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
pixel shaders will be integrated the way EVR custom does? Will we be able to choose between pre and post-resize shaders and utilize directly the scripts from EVR custom? It will be fantastic to finally be able to use a post-resize sharpener in madVR without recurring to the TV set sharpening (which is usually crap) or NVIDIA enhancements.

I’ve seen you mentioned Dideé's "fine sharp", which to my eyes is the best around (better than Seesaw and LFSMod), do you think it will be possible to integrate it into madVR via pixel-shaders (GPU) so that we can sharpen AFTER resize with madVR?

It will be also cool to integrate into the interface the most common pixel shaders and to be able to tweak the basic parameters directly from madVR interface (like ffdshow does!).
I do plan to add support for custom pixel shaders, and there will be different shaders for before and after scaling. I can't say much more right now, though, because I haven't even started working on that yet.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:05   #13951  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.83 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added "enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer)" option
* added "anti-ringing" option for chroma and luma scaling
* added extra "delay playback start after seeking, too" option
* added new calibration option "disable GPU gamma ramps"
* doubled exclusive mode seekbar in size
* added position / runtime information to exclusive mode seekbar
* removed some tweak options (rendered superfluous by new WHQL NVidia driver)
* madVR window is now created and served by a separate thread
* Windows timer/scheduler is now always set to finest possible resolution
* modified DXVA deinterlacing to work a bit more similar to EVR
* AVI Decompressor output is now always considered to be decompressed video
* added workaround to hide kmplayer crash when resizing video
* fixed: crash when multiple madVR instances are created at the same time
* fixed: freeing madVR instance sometimes resulted in a crash
* fixed: VSFilter passes RGB -> input was incorrectly considered limited range
* fixed: bilinear chroma upsampling used MPEG1 chroma position instead of MPEG2
* fixed: switching deinterlacing mode -> "resetting Direct3D device failed"
* fixed: crash when playing certain video files with AVSplitter
Some comments:

(1) I've received several crash reports from madVR users pointing to crashes during madVR shutdown. As a result I've modified the shutdown behaviour and I think those crashes should be gone now. However, there's a certain chance that instead madVR (and with it the media player) might freeze once in a while when closing or changing video files. I have done some more changes in the hope to avoid such freezes, but only real life will tell whether freezes will occur or not. Please let me know...

(2) The new option "disable GPU gamma ramps" seems to work only in fullscreen exclusive mode. Is that what you guys need? Or do you need/want madVR to disable the gamma ramps in windowed mode, too?

(3) I've tried to improve the anti-ringing quality further compared to the last test build, but I have been unable to do so. So this build is identical in quality to the last test build. I might look into providing a higher quality option in a future build, which will probably consume quite a bit more GPU power, though.

(4) Most importantly: madVR now supports using "Overlay" for windowed mode (requires Windows 7 or 8). This has several benefits and a few disadvantages:

+ should have no tearing (I think)
+ performs noticeably better than standard windowed mode
+ seems to work around the levels problems with NVidia drivers
- resizing the media player window looks ugly
- only one player (instance) can use overlay at a time
- I'm not sure yet whether the GPU driver leaves the video untouched

I've enabled Overlay by default for Windows 7, but I need your FEEDBACK:

(1) Does it work well for you? (need feedback from all AMD, NVidia and Intel users)
(2) Do you think it should be enabled or disabled by default?
(3) If you can (and know how to) please check whether image quality is alright and untouched by the GPU driver and report back.
(4) Is there anybody who still needs the "old exclusive mode path" (which is what you get when enabling exclusive mode and disabling the option "prerender multiple frames in advance")? I'm asking because I'd like to remove the old exclusive mode path.
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:13   #13952  |  Link
dansrfe

I don't know about an API but there is a registry key which allows the wallpaper interval to change. Unfortunately, there is no "disable" option in the Personalization area anyways so that won't work but the interval can be pushed all the way to 1 day which may be a good enough period of time to consider it off for the time that madVR is being used in one go.

The key is at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Personalization\Desktop Slideshow @ Interval
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:18   #13953  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.83 released

(4) Is there anybody who still needs the "old exclusive mode path" (which is what you get when enabling exclusive mode and disabling the option "prerender multiple frames in advance")? I'm asking because I'd like to remove the old exclusive mode path.
Yes, madshi, still need the old path. My 8600M-GT doesn't play nice with the newer path, lots of frame drops. Cheers for new version, almost like christmas :-)
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:19   #13954  |  Link
fairchild

Madshi, thanks as always for continuing support. As for "enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer)" on my system using mpc-be v1.0.3.0 I get no picture. Basically the media player just pauses the video automatically and i get a constant black screen. (with audio playing) I can then force the mpc-be to begin the video but again it just displays a black screen. The loaded filters are the usual, lav suite + madVR + reclock.

edit: also tested on MPC-HC and same behavior.

Also using 12.8 official WHQL drivers on my 7870.

Last edited by fairchild; 23rd September 2012 at 16:23.
fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:20   #13955  |  Link
dansrfe

Windowed overlay mode pauses the video at the beginning and gives me a black screen. It doesn't work at all basically.

Windows 7 x64
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 @ latest drivers 12.8
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:28   #13956  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I don't know about an API but there is a registry key which allows the wallpaper interval to change.
Does changing the registry key take immediate effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Yes, madshi, still need the old path. My 8600M-GT doesn't play nice with the newer path, lots of frame drops. Cheers for new version, almost like christmas :-)
Have you updated to the latest NVidia WHQL drivers? My 9400M works very well it with the new path.

Have you tried the new Overlay windowed mode option? It should behave quite similar to the old exclusive mode path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
As for "enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer)" on my system using mpc-be v1.0.3.0 I get no picture.
Quote:
Windowed overlay mode pauses the video at the beginning and gives me a black screen. It doesn't work at all basically.
Best guess: AMD drivers don't like what I'm doing. Can I have a debug log, please?
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:38   #13957  |  Link
dansrfe

Changing the registry key takes immediate effect. I checked the interval in the GUI as well as the registry. The value is in ms I believe.

madVR log from ATI device: http://www.sendspace.com/file/f6m47w
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:39   #13958  |  Link
fairchild

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x6yx2f

This is from loading one of my test files and media player just pauses automatically on my 7870.

Also noticing a new bug, when in FSE (tested both old path and the new) and you close the media file/video while it's still playing, it freezes the player. I then have to go intot he task manager and end the media player, also I notice that the MadVR thread is not running, so not sure what's causing this. This is on mpc-be, probably affects mpc-hc since they are so similair. Not sure if this is affecting others.

Last edited by fairchild; 23rd September 2012 at 16:48.
fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:40   #13959  |  Link
andybkma

v83, Luma downscaling "Activate anti ringing filter" option is greyed out and can't be selected. Is that normal? Both the "ups" are not greyed out...
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:42   #13960  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

nVidia Optimus system: On integrated Intel HD 3000 overlay is slower by 0.40 ms (16.05->16.46) and present is mush slower (0.05 -> 0.19). But on discrete nVidia 540m overlay is more than 2 times faster (14.1->6.5 ms rendering and 4.28->2.55 ms present time)!

Also +1 disadvantage - it's impossible to take screenshot with video.

Last edited by vivan; 23rd September 2012 at 16:51. Reason: update
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling