Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th January 2016, 05:47   #35001  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
same RGB range question for my old AMD laptop. in the video settings under colour there is the setting dynamic range. the options here are full, limited or leave this option unticked. unticked appears to be the same as full though. not sure if theres really a difference here. I unticked all video & quality options in the AMD settings just to be sure drivers dont mess with the content. so should I leave the dynamic range option as well unticked or set it to full?
these setting shouldn't have na effect on madVR but you can use defaults.

with crimson you should think about using custom.

Quote:
madvr: is currently set to display expects PC levels (default).

with my panasonic plasma (VT60) I can choose HDMI range normal (default setting) or full. when I set it to full though then black becomes gray. but according to "(1) Display wants 0-255. GPU and madVR are consequently also both set to 0-255." setting it to full range should be right, shouldnt it?
if your GPU is set to full range RGB yes.

but there are 3 point with levels.
madVR, GPU and TV screen. so make sure your GPU is set to the correct output type too.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 08:39   #35002  |  Link
x7007

I have an issue with Madvr + Potplayer + Exclusive mode D3D11 10bit . I'm using Lav Filter 0.67 and CUVID 970GTX

Randomly if I go exclusive mode and back to windowed the frames goes on but repeat themselfs, it's like shaky video that you see the frame before, and madvr ctrl+j shows numbers that goes back and forward fast. I tried many things to fix the issue, it happens in windows 10 . I can't find the reason it happens. I try prerender 3-4-6 and such , nothing helps. Nvidia Control panel set to Prerender 3 for Potplayer. Decoder Queue , Upload Queue, Render queue, present queue, all goes lower .
Normally when it works fine
Decoder 16-16 / 16
upload ueue 12-12 /12
render queue 12-12 /12
present queue 3-4 /4

when it doesn't
14-16
10-12
1-2
1-4 randomly can be 2-4 too

There are 10-15 dropped frames every sec.

Can someone please help me understand the issue ?

EDIT

Changing the Display bit from 10 bit to 8 bit fix the issue .. what can be the problem with the 10 bit ?

EDIT 2 :
I used Potplayer 32 bit taking the settings from old installation every time. So I've installed the 64bit and set it from start. the stuttering doesn't happen but I'm getting Render queue 2-4 /12 present queue 1-3 /3 only in exclusive mode. windowed mode works fine with the right queues .

EDIT 3 :
Ha never mind I forgot that I have set 1 prerender in the NVCP for all programs and I didn't have the potplayer x64 to the list for 3 . so that's why

EDIT 4
What does it mean if I have Async Reader in Grey in the Filters menu where Lav Filters and Madvr are showing ? For some reason Potplayer doesn't show me the Chapters lines on the media player bar with little marks, only if I reinstall and not using my old INI and registry files they appear, anyone know what could it be and if I can restore them after I use my settings ?

EDIT 5

Using Prenderer in NVCP 2 and not 3 fix the issue it seems. should the NVCP Prenderer be lower than the MADVR prerender ?

The async I mean is in the picture including the little Chapters bars , you can see I have only one, there should be more, every movie I have one or none, but madvr does detect them and I can choose them from the madvr try icon, with the time.

Last edited by x7007; 6th January 2016 at 11:43. Reason: 10 bit madvr issue
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 10:14   #35003  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If you set madvr to sending 16-235 and GPU driver to sending 0-255 then you will be sending 16-235 (16 reference black and 235 reference white, plus BTB&WTW). So your TV have to be set to accept 16-235. Desktop will be wrong levels.
I get a better picture using full range on my panel. The desktop being wrong is not an issue as I don't use the panel for desktop application. If I use the setting as you suggest there I get a washed out picture.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 13:48   #35004  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
but there are 3 point with levels.
madVR, GPU and TV screen. so make sure your GPU is set to the correct output type too.
how can I do that when its not the setting in madVR and not that one in CCC?

edit: found this here https://pcmonitors.info/articles/cor...-and-amd-gpus/
in that picture there is a "my digital flat panels" tab which I dont have with my drivers (I use laptop drivers from leshcatlabs)

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 6th January 2016 at 13:55.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 13:50   #35005  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I thought you were upscaling DVDs? This would be a 2x to 2.25x resize, no?
Isn't SD to 1080p a 5x upscale? (PAL has a total pixel resolution of 414720, 1080p has 2073600). 720p to 1080p would be 2.25x?
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 14:30   #35006  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Isn't SD to 1080p a 5x upscale? (PAL has a total pixel resolution of 414720, 1080p has 2073600). 720p to 1080p would be 2.25x?
Scale factor relates to the horizontal/vertical dimensions, not the overall pixel count. 1080p -> 4K is a 2x/2x upscale in that sense, and 720p > 1080p is 1.5x
This is generally handled this way because algorithms like NNEDI exactly double the resolution in one dimension per run, so running NNEDI once would double the vertical resolution (and its internally just run twice to double both dimensions).
Old 6th January 2016, 14:39   #35007  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Scale factor relates to the horizontal/vertical dimensions, not the overall pixel count. 1080p -> 4K is a 2x/2x upscale in that sense, and 720p > 1080p is 1.5x
This is generally handled this way because algorithms like NNEDI exactly double the resolution in one dimension per run, so running NNEDI once would double the vertical resolution (and its internally just run twice to double both dimensions).
Thanks - although still a little confused lol So 576p to 1080p is only around 1.9x? . I have doubling set to activate for =>1.5x upscales and quadrupling to activate for =>3x upscales. I think these are the defaults? Anyway, I'm pretty sure quadrupling is activated when playing SD with these settings.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 15:52   #35008  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
with crimson you should think about using custom.
Unless I missed it, Crimson doesn't allow to set the dynamic range, even when using custom (or tools like RadeonMod, which don't support this in Crimson either).

That's why I went back to Catalyst 14.12, as the only way to get the correct levels with both MadVR and PowerDVD (which I use when I need full BD menus or 3D) was to set the driver to RGB Limited, which isn't recommended for MadVR, as it means the GPU is converting levels after MadVR.

Not an issue if you only use MadVR obviously, as Crimson can be set to RGB Full and MadVR to whatever gives the correct levels on your display.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 16:20   #35009  |  Link
mawen1250

With the latest version (v0.89.19), the matrix of YCgCo video is recognized as BT.709 and results in wrong color.
mawen1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 19:22   #35010  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Unless I missed it, Crimson doesn't allow to set the dynamic range, even when using custom (or tools like RadeonMod, which don't support this in Crimson either).

That's why I went back to Catalyst 14.12, as the only way to get the correct levels with both MadVR and PowerDVD (which I use when I need full BD menus or 3D) was to set the driver to RGB Limited, which isn't recommended for MadVR, as it means the GPU is converting levels after MadVR.

Not an issue if you only use MadVR obviously, as Crimson can be set to RGB Full and MadVR to whatever gives the correct levels on your display.
i have no clue what you are even doing with the dynamic range.
the GPU output can still be changed.
Old 6th January 2016, 22:09   #35011  |  Link
livache

Quote:
with my panasonic plasma (VT60) I can choose HDMI range normal (default setting) or full. when I set it to full though then black becomes gray. but according to "(1) Display wants 0-255. GPU and madVR are consequently also both set to 0-255." setting it to full range should be right, shouldnt it?
On my EU ST50 I don't have an option to select full range for HDMI inputs. It only shows for DVI->HDMI.
And if I set 16-235 in madvr and 0-255 output on my nvidia gpu I can see 236-255 passing through. 0-15 don't.
0-255 in madvr and 16-235 on GPU is fine.
From the little information I could gather about this, it seems the full range option for HDMI inputs is only present on US models of these plasmas.

Quote:
another thing: with my TV theres also an option called HDMI content type from which I can choose Auto (default), graphics, foto or off. which is the recommended setting here when watching movies? auto, graphic and foto look all the same, that setting is a little bit brighter than off.
HDMI content type just switches the viewing preset on the TV based on what I set in the nvidia driver if the feature is enabled on the TV. I have it in the menu in Setup/ Link Settings /HDMI Content type [AUTO/off].

Setting Games in nvidia driver switches the TV to Game preset.
Movies -> Cinema preset
Full Screen Videos -> True Cinema
Desktop Programs -> True Cinema
Photos -> True Cinema
Auto Select -> True Cinema
livache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 00:08   #35012  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
AMD Radeon settings > Display > Additional Settings (Old Radeon menu pops-up here) > My Digital Flat Panels > Pixel Format > Select "(Full RGB)

Got that?
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 00:56   #35013  |  Link
x7007

Hi , I really want help about the situation , I know I fixed it but I want to know the reason or what is the setting you guys are using . it was working always good before, so I'm not sure what changed.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...57#post1752157

If you can answer all the questions please, but importantly.

Should the NvCP Prerender should be less than the setting in Madvr ?

Exclusive mode + 8 bit + NVCP Pre -3 + Madvr 3 or 4 there are no issues
Exclusive mode + 10 bit + NVCP Pre -3 + Madvr 3 or 4 there are issues
Exclusive mode + 10 bit + NVCP Pre -2 + Madvr 3 or 4 there are no isues

If Nvidia prerender have Max Prerender of 4 , is that what you select ? or even so if it's 3 , what do you select in Madvr ? because if I select too high 6 or 8 the Render Queue is not filling and Prerender is at 1 and not full too.

How do I know which is the best setting because no one said their settings.

So is the thing in potplayer that only after fresh installation I can see the chapters marks on the movie, and while using my old INI file there is only 1 mark but madvr does show all chapters from the tray icon. i'm not sure what setting control that.

Last edited by x7007; 7th January 2016 at 01:01.
Old 7th January 2016, 01:07   #35014  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livache View Post
On my EU ST50 I don't have an option to select full range for HDMI inputs. It only shows for DVI->HDMI.
And if I set 16-235 in madvr and 0-255 output on my nvidia gpu I can see 236-255 passing through. 0-15 don't.
0-255 in madvr and 16-235 on GPU is fine.
From the little information I could gather about this, it seems the full range option for HDMI inputs is only present on US models of these plasmas.
Setting 0-255 in madVR and 16-235 on the GPU cannot send BtB or WtW. The GPU compresses 0-255 to 16-235 and there is nothing above 255 or below 0 to compress into 236-255 or 0-15. When set the other way around (madVR 16-235, GPU 0-255) there isn't anything clipping 0-15.

How are you testing? Are you using the AVS-HD test patterns?

If you cannot set your TV to accept full range you still do not care about being able to send BtB or WtW information. On a properly calibrated display 0-16 is all 0% brightness or 100% black and 235-255 is all the same 100% brightness. This means that even if everything below 16 gets clipped you don't care because you cannot see it.

Maybe it is your TV doing the clipping? Is it calibrated such that 0-16 is 0% white but 235 is less than 100% white? Maybe it pushes the brightness past a nominal 100% white for WtW information? Plasmas don't have a well defined 100% white in my experience. E.g. A full screen area of 100% white will be much less bright compared to a 15% screen area of 100% white.
Old 7th January 2016, 01:14   #35015  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Should the NvCP Prerender should be less than the setting in Madvr ?
Prerender should be on "Application Controlled"

Quote:
How do I know which is the best setting because no one said their settings.
There are no "best" settings for everyone, if there were madshi would remove all the other options. Also rule 12.

Quote:
So is the thing in potplayer that only after fresh installation I can see the chapters marks on the movie, and while using my old INI file there is only 1 mark but madvr does show all chapters from the tray icon. i'm not sure what setting control that.
This is something with PotPlayer, not madVR.
Old 7th January 2016, 02:42   #35016  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
without OSD screenshots it's hard to judge.
OK, I've performed some investigations.
MPC-HC settings:
Video Renderer: madVR
Audio Renderer: ReClock
ReClock settings:
[x] PAL SpeedDown (force to 24fps)
madVR settings:
list all display modes madVR may switch to: 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60
[x] treat 25p movies as 24p (requires Reclock or VideoClock)
All other settings are at their defaults, unless noted otherwise for the particular case.
  • PAL
    1. http://i68.tinypic.com/2ce2r07.jpg
      madVR doesn't switch the display to 24 Hz.
    2. madVR:
      [ ] treat 25p movies as 24p (requires Reclock or VideoClock)
      The display refresh rate set to "24 Hz (Interlaced)".
      http://i66.tinypic.com/65reqa.jpg
      Interlacing is visible, lot of dropped frames... madVR seemed to be right not switching the display to 24 Hz.
    3. madVR:
      [x] disable automatic source type detection (.) force film mode
      http://i64.tinypic.com/11ttrep.jpg
    4. LAV Video:
      [x] Enable YADIF Deinterlacing (.) 50p/60p (Video)
      http://i65.tinypic.com/2uehb46.jpg
      As far as I understand YADIF deinterlacing in video mode doubles the frame rate - ReClock reports "50 fps". madVR, though, still considers 24 Hz as the appropriate video mode. That's where dropped frames came from. Bug?
      BTW it is only true by madVR's "(.) if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing". By "(.) if in doubt, activate deinterlacing" madVR switches the display to 50 Hz and the result looks like the next case.
    5. madVR:
      [x] disable automatic source type detection (.) force video mode
      http://i67.tinypic.com/2l9gq5u.jpg
  • NTSC
    1. http://i63.tinypic.com/242u7w1.jpg
      The picture looks bad.
    2. madVR:
      http://i64.tinypic.com/28rrdf.jpg
      The picture still looks bad.
    3. madVR:
      http://i65.tinypic.com/2wp49om.jpg
      The picture looks better but interlacing is still visible.
    4. madVR:
      (.) if in doubt, activate deinterlacing
      http://i68.tinypic.com/8wbi8z.jpg
      The picture is the same as in the previous case but the display is 24 Hz.
    5. LAV Video:
      http://i66.tinypic.com/dh9tnn.jpg
      The picture looks even better but madVR switched the display to the wrong mode again so we have lot of dropped frames.
    6. LAV Video:
      [x] Enable YADIF Deinterlacing (.) 25p/30p (Film)
      http://i65.tinypic.com/2jg1pih.jpg
      The picture is the same as in the previous case but no dropped frames.
So let's sum up:
  1. madVR doesn't take into account doubled frame rate when YADIF deinterlacing is enabled.
  2. YADIF deinterlacing seems to be better than madVR's.

Quote:
but the NTSC SD file is 60 HZ and should be watched at that.
As you can see above, it can be played perfectly at 30 Hz, too.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 03:10   #35017  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Prerender should be on "Application Controlled"

There are no "best" settings for everyone, if there were madshi would remove all the other options. Also rule 12.

This is something with PotPlayer, not madVR.

obviously understood. but what about the issue with 10 bit ? it didn't happened before and it only happens when I try to use prerender 3 in the nvidia or some kind mix that the NVidia prerender is higher than Madvr. what can be the cause ?

And no matter what prerender I put I don't have the issue with 8 bit. it just happens with 10 bit. I tested MPDN and 10 bit works fine there. I just try to find the issue, if it's madvr or potplayer.

And what is Async Reader filter ?

Btw, should I use Lav Splitter or Lav Splitter Source ?

Somehow I don't know, I had my Display in Madvr Ctrl+J showing always 100.00000HZ steady, but I changed stuff and updated drivers and now it's 100.000355-361HZ not steady as before. does anyone knows what can possibly change the Display HZ ? I have laptop G751JT with 970GTX , using windows 8.1, I didn't change nvidia drivers, just updated Chipset drivers , Madvr , Potplayer. and some windows update hotfixes which I don't know if it happened before it or after.
Should it be best if Display and Composition rate would be 1:1 with no clock deviation ? cause that's what I had before some changes.

Can Gsync work in potplayer or MPDN ? cause trying to enabling it the Render queue is 4-12 /12 and Present queue 0-4 /4

EDIT 2 :

I figured what was the problem with the Chapters bookmark
while the movie playing I went to right click > Playback > Chapters/Bookmark > Clear all marked . now I have all the chapters marked correctly.

EDIT 3 :
If I am using in Nvidia control panel Prerender Use the default or 3 , it causing the issue to appear straight away at the 2nd full screen entering.

EDIT 4 :
On my laptop using NVCP prerender application default (3) and Madvr Pre Render 4 works fine. windows 8.1 Render queue 12-12 /12
But on my desktop NVCP prerender application default (3) and Madvr Pre Render 4 Render queue 2-4 /12 and present queue 3-4 /4 , why is the render queue cut ? and what could have issue when the issue seems to happens when actually the Render is full.

MPDN 10 bit works fine,

Last edited by x7007; 8th January 2016 at 06:11.
Old 7th January 2016, 04:46   #35018  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
OK, I've performed some investigations.
MPC-HC settings:
Video Renderer: madVR
Audio Renderer: ReClock
ReClock settings:
[x] PAL SpeedDown (force to 24fps)
madVR settings:
list all display modes madVR may switch to: 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60
[x] treat 25p movies as 24p (requires Reclock or VideoClock)
All other settings are at their defaults, unless noted otherwise for the particular case.
  • PAL
    1. http://i68.tinypic.com/2ce2r07.jpg
      madVR doesn't switch the display to 24 Hz.
    2. madVR:
      [ ] treat 25p movies as 24p (requires Reclock or VideoClock)
      The display refresh rate set to "24 Hz (Interlaced)".
      http://i66.tinypic.com/65reqa.jpg
      Interlacing is visible, lot of dropped frames... madVR seemed to be right not switching the display to 24 Hz.
    3. madVR:
      http://i64.tinypic.com/11ttrep.jpg
    4. LAV Video:
      http://i65.tinypic.com/2uehb46.jpg
      As far as I understand YADIF deinterlacing in video mode doubles the frame rate - ReClock reports "50 fps". madVR, though, still considers 24 Hz as the appropriate video mode. That's where dropped frames came from. Bug?
      BTW it is only true by madVR's "(.) if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing". By "(.) if in doubt, activate deinterlacing" madVR switches the display to 50 Hz and the result looks like the next case.
    5. madVR:
      http://i67.tinypic.com/2l9gq5u.jpg
  • NTSC
    1. http://i63.tinypic.com/242u7w1.jpg
      The picture looks bad.
    2. madVR:
      http://i64.tinypic.com/28rrdf.jpg
      The picture still looks bad.
    3. madVR:
      http://i65.tinypic.com/2wp49om.jpg
      The picture looks better but interlacing is still visible.
    4. madVR:
      (.) if in doubt, activate deinterlacing
      http://i68.tinypic.com/8wbi8z.jpg
      The picture is the same as in the previous case but the display is 24 Hz.
    5. LAV Video:
      http://i66.tinypic.com/dh9tnn.jpg
      The picture looks even better but madVR switched the display to the wrong mode again so we have lot of dropped frames.
    6. LAV Video:
      [x] Enable YADIF Deinterlacing (.) 25p/30p (Film)
      http://i65.tinypic.com/2jg1pih.jpg
      The picture is the same as in the previous case but no dropped frames.
So let's sum up:
  1. madVR doesn't take into account doubled frame rate when YADIF deinterlacing is enabled.
  2. YADIF deinterlacing seems to be better than madVR's.

As you can see above, it can be played perfectly at 30 Hz, too.
pal
1. of cause it doesn't switch to 24p is has 50 FPS in this case.
2. you should never switch to 24p if video deinterlacing is used.
3. madVR has now 25 FPS so it is working
4. madVr is missing or ignoring the information that the stream is 50/60p. could be an lavfilter problem or could be a problem in madVR
5. working as intended

NSTC

1. what GPU driver and settings are used? the AMD driver settings alter deinterlancing which can easily result in a terrible picture.
2. it should look the same but it doesn't. nothing has change it is still using the same AMD DXVA deinterlacer.
3. source is for sure true interlaced so film mode can't work.
4. film mode should alwasy switch to 24p so not sure about 3.
5. madVr is missing or ignoring the information that the stream is 50/60p. could be an lavfilter problem or could be a problem in madVR
6. working as intended

madVR doesn't have an deitnerlacer it is using the DXVA deinterlancer for your video card. which is pretty broken on crimson...

25/30 deinterlacing should be avoided under any cost. madVR can use 25/30 DXVA interlacing the option can be found under trade quality for performence and yeah shouldn't be used.

edit: there is no need to add 1080p30 if 1080p60 is flawless same for 1080p25 if 1080p50 exist.

Last edited by huhn; 7th January 2016 at 04:50.
Old 7th January 2016, 06:57   #35019  |  Link
x7007

It seems the fix is using NVCP Pre renderer 3 and use Exclusive mode 3 as long as use Exclusive mode + 10 bit. Can someone help me with the other questions ? Async Reader , Lav Splitter or Lav Splitter Source ?

And all the rest of the questions are in the posts below.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...42#post1752242
Old 7th January 2016, 09:47   #35020  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
AMD Radeon settings > Display > Additional Settings (Old Radeon menu pops-up here) > My Digital Flat Panels > Pixel Format > Select "(Full RGB)

Got that?
Yes, and that has nothing to do with the ability to delect a different dynamic range once you have selected the pixel format at driver level.

In Catalyst, once you select the pixel format (say RGB Full, which is the best option for MadVR) you can also select, separately, a dynamic range option (16-235 or 0-255) for other software like PowerDVD which use windows rendering, unlike MadVR. This allows to get the right video levels for both MadVR and PowerDVD, especially when you use a display set to HDMI standard (16-235) to work with other video sources, like a bluray player or a satellite box.

That's the option that's gone in Crimson, so the only way to get the correct levels for both MadVR and PowerDVD is to set the driver to RGB Limited, which isn't ideal for MadVR as it means the driver is changing the levels behind its back.

This level issue is more difficult to solve with PowerDVD due to a levels mismatch between 2D and 3D in RGB Full, but that's a different issue (and one I'm struggling to get past the first level support of Cyberlink as they don't understand it).

Also Crimson crushes white in 3D (it only resolves up to 230 irrespective of the pixel format) with PowerDVD, which is another reason why I switched back to Catalyst 14.12.

Got that?
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 7th January 2016 at 09:54.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling