Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 19th December 2010, 06:11   #1  |  Link
heinza

'how to?' no-loss(/no-recode) HD video on DVD9 - layer break issue - MKV-->DVD-->PS3?

Hi folks,
I'm new to the 'HD world'..
I've done some research about this topic but haven't found much..
I have some 1080 hd MKV vids I'd like to burn to DVD9 (don't fit on DVD5), and play on PS3.
The most straightforward way I've found on the web is:
- convert MKV to m2ts with AVCHD or BD structure using tsmuxer
- burn as AVCHD or BD to DVD9 with ImgBurn
(have only tried AVCHD strategy as yet)
BUT, PROBLEMS come at layer-break..
first time, recording failed. second time, data verification failed and, when playing on PS3, disc stutters and drops minutes of video at layer break..
(btw, have used these blank DVD9s to burn DVD9 images with no burning/verif/playing problems whatsoever, using same PC running WINXP and ImgBurn)

I initially intended to use NeroVision, which would have also given me a chance to create a menu etc., but, for some reason, not only does Nero want to recode the whole video, but the resulting video, at no quality loss, exceeds the size of a DVD9, as it wants to create a file that's way bigger than the original MKV.

What are my options to put HD vids on DVDs without necessarily having to recode and/or lose quality, that are playable on PS3, (possibly, but not necessarily, with an option to create menus and stuff) without running into this layer issue (and having to purchase and use complicated professional software)?
PS. Vids might also contain subtitles and DTS/DD/ProLogic/MasterAudio/TrueHD audio etc., which I would like to preserve.

I thought of burning the m2ts file as is, but (apart from not having menus etc) I don't particularly like the idea –I'd prefer to have a 'proper' disc, with a BD or AVCHD type of structure..

PS. I have also read about converting MKVs to VOBs instead of M2TS.. which way is best?

Thanks for your much appreciated help!!
heinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 14:02   #2  |  Link
mpucoder

Starting from the original DVD or BD is preferred.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1080, avchd, bluray, dvd, ps3