Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 15th June 2009, 05:34   #81  |  Link
setarip_old

What changes have been made in v.09.06.13?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 02:50   #82  |  Link
setarip_old

@twazerty

I installed v.09.06.07, while also keeping v.04.23.1 installed on the same system. Does having both versions installed on the same system cause problems?

I ask because, since installing v.09.06.07, I've had completely unacceptable identical results regarding the two titles I've processed (as both MKV and M2Ts formats sourced from original, commercial BluRay discs) using both v.04.23.1 and v.09.06.07 - a total of 8 full conversions:

Although the original unprocessed rips play perfectly, all 8 "AVCHDCoder"-processed full movies exhibited sporadic but frequent video stuttering (especially during horizontal panning scenes), as well as total stoppage of motion, while audio continued.

I then took a 1 minute, 191,000Kb clip from one of the original rips, "National Treasure", that included (the same) horizontal panning and processed it using both versions of "AVCHDCoder" and then "BD_Rebuilder" (with the same settings). The results were as follows:

1) Both versions of "AVCHDCoder" exhibited the same stutter and stop behavior

2) The "BD_Rebuilder" version played perfectly

3) Each version of the "AVCHDCoder" conversions was 388,000 in size (Twice the size of the original, unprocessed clip)

4) The "BD-Rebuilder" conversion 119,000 Kb in size

Please keep in mind that I had no such problems when the only installed "AVCHDCoder" version I had was v.09.06.07, as well as "BD-Rebuilder"

Please advise.

**ADDITIONAL INFO - I uninstalled v.09.06.07 and then tried v.04.23.1 - Same unacceptable result.

Last edited by setarip_old; 16th June 2009 at 03:56. Reason: Additional info
Old 16th June 2009, 13:51   #83  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

My app can't cause such problems (only the logics are inside AVCHDCoder). I totally depend on external applications. There can only be 2 things that can cause the problems: The x264 settings or ffdshow. What will happen if you choose the faster encoding profile?

If I did found stuttering I never released this app. I also can't find any problems. They all work perfectly. You can also try to update ffdshow. I know ffdshow can cause strange problems. (Like converting but generating very poor video files after updating ffdshow it was perfectly like it should be.)

More versions of AVCHDCoder can be installed side by side. When you only run 1 instance there can't be any problem.

AVCHDCoder always pushes the bitrate to the limit. That's why the file is twice the size.

Last edited by twazerty; 16th June 2009 at 13:53.
twazerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:32   #84  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Today I added the formulas for:
AC3 192 Kbps
AC3 224 Kbps
AC3 256 Kbps
AC3 512 Kbps
AC3 576 Kbps
DTS-ES 768 Kbps

Am I missing some important bitrates?
Changed some things and now I can't test the DTS-HD 3072 Kbps version Does anyone has a sample for me?

I already have DTS-HD sample of VBR bitrates. Only needs the one with CBR 3072 Kbps also know as 3018 Kbps
Old 17th June 2009, 22:31   #85  |  Link
setarip_old

@twazerty

Further testing on my part seems to indicate that the problem lies with concurrently running another program that uses either x264 or ffdshow.

I believe this could possibly be overcome by (As I've previously suggested) adding "Idle" as a performance option (As is the case with BD Rebuilder), as "Idle" makes for better "sharing".

Your thoughts, please?
Old 17th June 2009, 23:52   #86  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@twazerty

Further testing on my part seems to indicate that the problem lies with concurrently running another program that uses either x264 or ffdshow.

I believe this could possibly be overcome by (As I've previously suggested) adding "Idle" as a performance option (As is the case with BD Rebuilder), as "Idle" makes for better "sharing".

Your thoughts, please?
What do you mean with Idle? And what do you mean with "sharing"?
Old 18th June 2009, 00:46   #87  |  Link
setarip_old

"Idle" is another option in addition to "Low", "Normal", "High", and "Highest" - and it appears to more properly deal with multitasking involving two programs (e.g. "AVCHDCoder" and "BD Rebuilder" [or a second iteration of "AVCHDCoder") that access the same underlying programs (e.g. "FFdshow" and/or "x264")...

(I believe there is discussion of this in the "BD Rebuilder" subforum here)
Old 18th June 2009, 21:00   #88  |  Link
turbojet

twazerty: The DTS-HD input works ok now, thanks. I have found that TSMuxer has issues resizing some sups like these and the only current workaround I know of is to us BDSup2Sub. Also is there a chance of having a free-form AVCHD bitrate calculator either inside AVCHDcoder or a separate tool that allows:
video: typing a time to the second HH:MM:SS and open an avs, (m2)ts, mkv
audio: selecting bitrate from pulldown box and loading ac3, dts, wav files
subs: multiple selection of up to 32 subs
resolution: 1920x1080, 1280x720, 1440x1080, 720x480, 720x576
frames: shows number of video frames
bpp: shows bits per pixel by calculating: (Width * Height) / kbps = bpp
compressibility check: uses avs with 'SelectRangeEvery(frames / 30, 14)' serving to x264.exe --crf 18
results of the compressibility check in % like gordian knot

setatup_old: low = idle process priority if that's what you mean.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 21:17   #89  |  Link
setarip_old

@turbojet
Quote:
I believe you are mistaken. "Idle" allows for "on-the-fly" adjustment of CPU usage, based on the usage of other programs running concurrently, whereas "Low" priority uses a fixed amount of CPU, regardless of other programs running concurrently...

(Check out "VirtualDub's" options, for example)
Old 18th June 2009, 21:36   #90  |  Link
turbojet

You are referring to the non-standard process priorities like virtualdub uses?

Idle in virtualdub does not equal 'idle' process priority in task manager, process explorer, etc. The only way to accurately change the process priority of virtualdub while it's running is through the status window. I've never ran into any other apps that use non-standard process priorities.
Old 19th June 2009, 00:07   #91  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Quote:
@turbojetI believe you are mistaken. "Idle" allows for "on-the-fly" adjustment of CPU usage, based on the usage of other programs running concurrently, whereas "Low" priority uses a fixed amount of CPU, regardless of other programs running concurrently...

(Check out "VirtualDub's" options, for example)
If you look at the priority list at your taskmanager you can only find the priority's you'll find in AVCHDCoder.

Quote:
twazerty: The DTS-HD input works ok now, thanks. I have found that TSMuxer has issues resizing some sups like these and the only current workaround I know of is to us BDSup2Sub. Also is there a chance of having a free-form AVCHD bitrate calculator either inside AVCHDcoder or a separate tool that allows:
video: typing a time to the second HH:MM:SS and open an avs, (m2)ts, mkv
audio: selecting bitrate from pulldown box and loading ac3, dts, wav files
subs: multiple selection of up to 32 subs
resolution: 1920x1080, 1280x720, 1440x1080, 720x480, 720x576
frames: shows number of video frames
bpp: shows bits per pixel by calculating: (Width * Height) / kbps = bpp
compressibility check: uses avs with 'SelectRangeEvery(frames / 30, 14)' serving to x264.exe --crf 18
results of the compressibility check in % like gordian knot

I do have plans to continue with the development of AVCHD Bitrate Calculator (My first app with a short life). There are couple of reasons:
-Now I understand more about how overhead is working.
-Now I do have more formulas.
-I do have formulas for wav 5.1 and 7.1

Some information:
Bitrate is not based on resolution. High or low resolution will give you the same overhead. Bitrate cannot be calculate by telling how many subs you use. The calculator needs the size of the final sup files to calculate bitrate. SRT and number is useless.

Basicly it comes to this:
- Open mkv/m2ts or enter running time (HH:MM:SS or just in seconds)
- Choose bitrate from dropdown box
- Add sup files or enter total size or use fixed sizes of 25MB each
- Hit the calculate button

I don't know if I add Quality checks.

I've added another feature to AVCHDCoder:
Support for WMVHD files with the support of keeping all 6 channels !!
Only wmvhd with wma will be supported. wmvhd with ac3 or dts wont be supported.
Before you can convert wmv files you need to install dbpoweramp and the wma plugin because the conversion of audio is:
WMV --> WMA (asfbin.exe)
WMA --> Flac (CoreConverter.exe)
Flac --> AC3 (eac3to.exe)
Old 19th June 2009, 04:58   #92  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by twazerty View Post
Some information:
Bitrate is not based on resolution. High or low resolution will give you the same overhead. Bitrate cannot be calculate by telling how many subs you use. The calculator needs the size of the final sup files to calculate bitrate. SRT and number is useless.
Speaking of srt would it be able to use Srt2BDSup or tsmuxer to convert to sup for srt input?

Quote:
Basicly it comes to this:
- Open mkv/m2ts or enter running time (HH:MM:SS or just in seconds)
- Choose bitrate from dropdown box
- Add sup files or enter total size or use fixed sizes of 25MB each
- Hit the calculate button
It's a good start and I'm looking forward to it have you considered these?
- avs video input
- browse for audio input
- on the fly calculation instead of pressing calculate

Quote:
I don't know if I add Quality checks.
The reason I mentioned these is because bits per pixel is a fairly simple calculation and tells you roughly what bitrate is needed for 1280x720 to get roughly the same crf (quality?) as 1920x1080 and vice versa. Compressibility check is by far most (only?) reliable calculation when trying to decide what target/resolution to use. While I can understand it's kind of complicated to add I hope you do consider it for it's something that's pretty important when dealing with DVD5/9 sizes and so far missing from the AVCHD gui's. Gordian knot some what works for x264 but I've found it unreliable for x264 calcutations.

One more thing is x264's output of 23.976 is changed this breaks some software (eac3to) and possibly 24p on some standalones (panasonic, samsung) to workaround this either add assumefps(24000,1001) to avs or use x264.exe --fps 24000/1001

Last edited by turbojet; 19th June 2009 at 05:05.
Old 19th June 2009, 09:51   #93  |  Link
setarip_old

@twazerty

See the following - and again, see VirtualDub:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.ph...k&gl=us#p82178
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:39   #94  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Will continue within a couple of days. (School etc)

But I released AVCHDCalculator today. I dont know in which section I have to but it. Weblink to my website: http://tools.twanwintjes.nl/index.php?page=avchdcalc

Screenshot:
Old 25th June 2009, 15:21   #95  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

New version out. Changelog:
Beta v09.06.25
Fixed - Broken mds file
Fixed - META file didn't contain quotes which causes some files failing to extract
Fixed - Temp files won't be deleted correctly
Fixed - Skipping and jumping didn't work or didn't work smooth.
Added - WMVHD support (with WMA audio only, dbpoweramp and wma codec required. See manual for instructions)
Added - USB 4GB output
Added - BD-50 output
Added - Custom output size (250MB - 50GB)
Added - Support for DTS-ES 768kbps, AC3 192, 224, 256 and AC3 576 kbps
Updated - x264.exe to r1171
Old 25th June 2009, 20:31   #96  |  Link
setarip_old

@twazerty

Very impressive update list - I look forward to checking out your latest update.

Have you fixed the awful looking NOT anti-aliased red text on the opening screen?
Old 25th June 2009, 20:58   #97  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Quote:
@twazerty

Very impressive update list - I look forward to checking out your latest update.

Have you fixed the awful looking NOT anti-aliased red text on the opening screen?
You mean the splash screen? It looks ok to me:

Forgot to add this to the changelog:
-Elapsed time is shown in the header of AVCHDCoder.
-After queue is executed a popup will show with the total elapsed time.

Turbojets remaining items, I've gave them a priority and added some of my own.
Priority 4: Must Have
- keep HD audio, PCM could use Pcm2Tsmu (for BD25 at least, 1-2 GB free on BD25 should be no problem)
- get original chapters from mkv/mpls/bd and use as default

Priority 3: Should Have
- ts input
- mts input
- Move job up/down
- Abort button
- kill only command windows avchdcoder calls instead of all when deleting all jobs (bug fix?)
- if video is avchd compliant and video+audio fits size selected offer to not encode or encode just audio and just mux
- x264 settings for advanced users: --ref 1-4 --bpyramid --psy-rd --deblock --vaq, and long (240/24) or short (24/1) gop
- output with encoding info and errors
- More advanced settings like choosing multiple preferred languages.
- Burn files one by one after queue is executed.

Priority 2: Could Have
- H264 input
- external audio support
- get language from all streams
- mutliple audio track support
- convert chapters to x264 qp-file and use for accurate chapter stops
- mpls input (very helpful for seamless branching and keeping BD chapters)
- BD input selects largest playlist by default with an option to choose another
- compression check with --crf 18 on 3% of the clip using selectevery and use the results to judge quality instead of bitrate

Prioriry 1: Would Have
- DTS encoding
- silence eac3to sounds
- have a non wizard mode
- option to keep AUXDATA/BDJO/CERTIFICATE/JAR/META folders, on by default, there are more players that need these then don't, with new tsmuxer a 'strict AVCHD' option to delete AUXDATA/BDJO/CERTIFICATE/JAR/META folders for the 1 maybe 2 players that still need this.
- minimize to tray option that displays job#, first pass or second pass, fps, % complete and eta

Will not be added:
- menu background option
- scene selection like menu
- avs input

Last edited by twazerty; 26th June 2009 at 01:22.
Old 26th June 2009, 01:17   #98  |  Link
setarip_old

No, I mean the "Video", "Internal Audio", and "Internal Subtitles" (As in the first screen capture in your initial post to this thread)...
Old 26th June 2009, 11:01   #99  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Quote:
No, I mean the "Video", "Internal Audio", and "Internal Subtitles" (As in the first screen capture in your initial post to this thread)...
You're right. I am also not completely satisfied. I will replace them in the next release.
Old 26th June 2009, 13:21   #100  |  Link
turbojet

Thanks for the new version and the calculator.

A few things to add to the avchdcoder list:
- use BDSup2Sub instead of TSMuxer (crashes on some subs) for resizing subs
- don't delete AUXDATA folder of output (6 HW and 2 SW players need it. only 2, but probably 0 now (samsung firmware updates) require it to be deleted)
- if input fps = ~23.976 add this to avs: AssumeFPS(24000/1001) so the output is the same as input (eac3to and possibly 24p HW issues)
- add to end of the avs: ConvertToYV12() (x264 only accepts YV12 and some decoders use other colorspaces)
- possible issue with current directshowsource(fps=23.9759856527702) some decoders may not like the unusual framerate (23.976 is safe)
- custom size can't go below 1000 MB
- 1 MB = 1,000,000 bytes is technically correct but unusual outside of some HDDs/ISPs and other than CCE 2.7+ I've never seen it used in encoding
- also is there a reason for the comma in the custom size, I have a feeling this is why it can't go below 1000 MB

Also in the next version of the calc do you plan on adding custom size in MB? Adding custom time in HH:MM:SS format?
And what are the current sizes in MiB of the current coder/calc sizes?

Last edited by turbojet; 26th June 2009 at 13:32.

Tags
avchd, mkv