Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 6th May 2009, 21:44   #1  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

AVCHDCoder - Blu-ray, MKV, M2TS, etc to AVCHD encoder. From input to ISO. Easy to use

I had the idea to make my own tool for converting mkv to avchd. The reason was simple: I didn't really like other software. In my opinion they were not complete. At that time I used MediaCoder and there was always something I forgot. Also had to use other software to make it complete. It was not my vision how a converter should look like. So I've build one my own. Now you are interested what I've build with my 1,5-2 years of skills.

Like I said I made a converter. To be more specific a all in one converter. It is written in Java. I know it isn't the most obvious you can do but at the time it was the only thing I've learned.

Pictures say more than words so some screens:

For more screenshots: tools.twanwintjes.nl

Here is also a list of key features:
* Support for different kind of media: MKV, M2TS, MTS, TS, MP4, Blu-ray and most WMVHD files
* Maximum of 32 items on 1 disc. (Mixed content)
* Customize your intro video.
* Search for movie information on the internet and be able to use backgrounds and covers.
* Basic menu support.
* Up to 32 subtitles streams. SRT/ASS/PGS Blu-ray support.
* Up to 3 audio streams. AC3, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA, LPCM, WMA9, WMA10 Pro, AAC, FLAC, MP2, MP3, Vorbis/OGG support.
* Chapter support
* Wide range of output sizes: DVD5, DVD9, BD25, BD50, USB 4GB and custom output size.
* Integration of AVCHDCalculator to calculate the bitrate very accurate. So you are sure the discs are not oversized or to much undersized. (Unique calculator, first in the world)
* .iso or folder output.
* Video downscaling.
* Audio conversion.
* Normal and High Quality subtitle conversion.
* Borders will automatically be added to the video if necessary. Aspect ratio will be kept at all time.
* No need to configure the x264 video encoder. There are 3 build in profiles that can't be edited.
* Native 64 bit encoding.
* Decoder Tester to check if all required decoders are working properly.
* Save and open projects (jobs).

I am very proud at my AVCHD bitrate calculator. I made some unique formulas to calculate the bitrate. I knew there was more after reading on forums to use 8% as overhead. Totally not right. Somewhere between 4 and 12% based on the input.

Warning:
If you have installed codec packs like K-Lite , CCCP , Vista Codec Packs or similar UNINSTALL THEM IMEDIATELLY!

You can download the latest version here:
AVCHDCoder 11.08.03 Setup.exe (80MB)
AVCHDCoder 11.08.03 Setup.exe (80MB) (Videohelp)
Log: Changelog

I am currently not capable to create everything. I think I need your help to make this app even better.

Last edited by twazerty; 5th August 2011 at 22:15.
twazerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 21:58   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Your program/GUI looks very interesting. A couple of questions, if I may:

1) Does the download include all of the tools you state are used, or are additional downloads and installations required?

2) Since, as far as I know, there's presently no way to incorporate a menu in an MKV, how does your program (apparently) create a menu?

3) How long does the conversion take with what system?

BTW - Your last screen capture indicates that you misspelled "Building" (omitted the "d") for "building menu"...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 22:08   #3  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

Your program/GUI looks very interesting. A couple of questions, if I may:

1) Does the download include all of the tools you state are used, or are additional downloads and installations required?

2) Since, as far as I know, there's presently no way to incorporate a menu in an MKV, how does your program (apparently) create a menu?

3) How long does the conversion take with what system?

BTW - Your last screen capture indicates that you misspelled "Building" (omitted the "d") for "building menu"...
1) The download includes everything except the 3 applications (Haali etc).

2) I made the menu files in advance. I make the structure and put the muxed m2ts inside the structure. A mkv or M2TS will be encoded. Then muxed with tsMuxer.

3)A 100 min 1080p movie on Highest quality:
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad core about 13 hours.
Intel Q6700 @ 3.2GHz about 6,5 Hours
Intel Core i7 920 about 5 hours

When selecting Good quality is max 40% on a Core i7. On some other systems a boost of 40% was also measured.

Didn't notice the misspelling in al those weeks

Last edited by twazerty; 7th May 2009 at 11:48.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:16   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

How many different players (standalone and software) have you tested your output on?

I ask, because if you read the many threads in the sevral sub-forums related to "BD-Rebuilder" and other High Definition output, you'll see that, regarding compressed output, there are MANY inconsistencies amongst players regarding what is or is not recognized for playback...
Old 6th May 2009, 22:20   #5  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Personally I only tested 1 player but some users confirmed the following players when using version 4.23.1:

LG BD300
Samsung BD-P1500 (Tested by myself)
Sony BDP-S350
Sony BDP-S500
Sony BDP-S550
Sony Playstation 3 - Menu only on PAL ps3 will be fixed in next version.
Nero Showtime 4

When you take a look at this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146339
It should work on all players where is an X at the AVCHD column.
Old 9th May 2009, 00:40   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

@twazerty

I tried out your program, using it overnight with a proven movie-only MKV of "What Doesn't Kill You".

The good and the bad:

Good - The visual quality of the compressed-to-DVD5 (by your program) is excellent!

Good - The speed of converting and compressing appears to be at least comparable to that of "BR-RB"

Bad - The program decided to bypass the muxing stage and, instead, "IMGBurn" generated a terminal error stating that it was unable to locate the "BDMV" folder (Because, as a consequence of not doing the muxing, your program had not created it).

Please advise.

(This testing was done on a machine running 64bit Vista Home Premium with 4Gb of RAM)

BTW - The lack of/use of the tabs is not intuitive...

Also, would you please add (Must be simple for you to do, via tsMuxeR options) the ability to chooseAVCHD or BluRay-compliant output?

Last edited by setarip_old; 9th May 2009 at 01:06.
Old 9th May 2009, 01:15   #7  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Totally forgot to add to post information.

Place the app in a folder where you don't need admin rights. Program Files etc will create such errors as far as i know. When moving the folder to Documents or a different folder. Delete the settings file. Didn't realize it was a fatal error placing the output folder location in the settings file because it wont be updated when you move AVCHDCoder.

If encoding passes aren't skipped due to installed codec packs and old version and only the muxing and ImgBurn fail the above text is the only thing I can think about.

Most people I spoke said the tabs are easier. In my next version I am going to combine 3 tabs to 1. Audio-Video and Subs in 1 tab. Als Disc and output will go into 1 tab. I think it will feel more intuitive. I am not satisfied with the current flow. (The result of lack of experience)

My new version is getting a complete face lift. It will be the second since my first release. Like I said above tabs will be joined together. The whole way to choose subs and audio will be more like in DVD Shrink. New logo's etc. Installer which places it in Program Files, creates short cuts etc. Temp and output will get another location. ASS support. More then 2 subtitles to chose instead of the limited 2 for now. Up to 8 items on 1 disc for both menu and no menu. Forced subtitles option.

I think all these changes will be good. Getting more and more experience which is good. App is public for over 3 months now.

Last edited by twazerty; 9th May 2009 at 01:40.
Old 9th May 2009, 01:41   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

The following is my text file:
Code:
en
US
Delete Temp: Yes
Check On Updates: Yes
Add Menu To Disc: No
Dafault Audio Language: 2
By Default 720p: No
Dafault Subtitle Language: 2
By Default Iso Output: Yes
Dafault Save Folder: C:\VideoStuff\AVCHDCoderB4.231\AVCHDCoderBeta4.23.1\Output
The above is where I ORIGINALLY placed your program, etc. It has not been moved.

As you can see, it's in no way related to "Program Files".

Is there something in this file that strikes you as problematic?

Should I simply delete the "Settings.txt" file? (I don't think so)

What version(s) of Java do you have installed (32 and/or 64 bit)? Could this make a difference?

Again, would you please add (Must be simple for you to do, via tsMuxeR options) the ability to chooseAVCHD or BluRay-compliant output?

BTW - Is there a way to select "Folder" output, rather than ".ISO"?
Old 9th May 2009, 01:59   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

This is the metafile that your program created (Presumably, for use by "tsMuxeR"). Perhaps there's somerthing in it that will provide a clue as to why the muxing was skipped:
Quote:
MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --new-audio-pes --avchd --vbr --auto-chapters=5 --vbv-len=500
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC, "C:\VideoStuff\AVCHDCoderB4.231\AVCHDCoderBeta4.23.1\Temp\What_Doesnt_Kill_You - item 1\What_Doesnt_Kill_You.264", insertSEI, contSPS
A_AC3, "C:\VideoStuff\AVCHDCoderB4.231\AVCHDCoderBeta4.23.1\Temp\What_Doesnt_Kill_You - item 1\What_Doesnt_Kill_You.ac3", lang=eng
S_HDMV/PGS, "C:\VideoStuff\AVCHDCoderB4.231\AVCHDCoderBeta4.23.1\Temp\What_Doesnt_Kill_You - item 1\input 1.sup", fps=23.976, lang=eng
S_HDMV/PGS, "C:\VideoStuff\AVCHDCoderB4.231\AVCHDCoderBeta4.23.1\Temp\What_Doesnt_Kill_You - item 1\input 2.sup", fps=23.976, lang=eng
The subtitles were not processed...

Please advise.

BTW - Perhaps you know - Other than by manually typing, how can you enter/ "Paste" metafile information into the "tsMuxeR GUI" "Metafile Information" window?

Last edited by setarip_old; 9th May 2009 at 03:10.
Old 9th May 2009, 08:20   #10  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Did a simple test by placing it at at the same location as you. Used a mkv with 2 external subs. Both srt. No problem occured.
Also tested a m2ts with 2 internal subs. No problem occured.

Also have vista 64 (Business) and 32 bit java.

Can you send me a sample of the videofile? 5 seconds or a minute or something.

Folder output will be added next version.
If you choose DVD5 or DVD9 AVCHD output will be used.
If you select BD25 Blu-ray output will be used.
Old 9th May 2009, 08:54   #11  |  Link
turbojet

Thanks for the program, I haven't ran a full movie encode yet but will to test calculation (calculation was 4467 and 4475 MB for DVD5, plenty good) and all. I did however find some bugs and have some feature requests these are:

- bug: if no audio can't continue in wizard
- bug: dtshd in mkv unsupported sample
- bug: .264 muxed with tsmuxer has issues with MPC-HC and TMT2 while mkv does not.

* resize sup with bdsup2sub or homemade code or latest tsmuxer
- have a non wizard mode
- custom output size (already planned?)
* keep HD audio, PCM could use Pcm2Tsmu (for BD25 at least, 1-2 GB free on BD25 should be no problem)
* option to keep AUXDATA/BDJO/CERTIFICATE/JAR/META folders, on by default, there are more players that need these then don't, with new tsmuxer a 'strict AVCHD' option to delete AUXDATA/BDJO/CERTIFICATE/JAR/META folders for the 1 maybe 2 players that still need this.
* process priority option
* option to force a subtitle stream
* x264 settings for advanced users: --ref 1-4 --bpyramid --psy-rd --deblock --vaq, and long (240/24) or short (24/1) gop
* get original chapters from mkv/mpls/bd and use as default
* convert chapters to x264 qp-file and use for accurate chapter stops
* get language from all streams
* mpls input (very helpful for seamless branching and keeping BD chapters)
* BD input selects largest playlist by default with an option to choose another
* browse window all supported extension types by default (I think a simple type of 'bug fix')
- ts input
- avs input
- silence eac3to sounds
- drag and drop
- external audio support
- if video is avchd compliant and video+audio fits size selected offer to not encode or encode just audio and just mux
* DTS encoding
- menu background option
- scene selection like menu
- time elapsed/FPS in queue window after encode
* Abort button
* Move job up/down
* kill only command windows avchdcoder calls instead of all when deleting all jobs (bug fix?)
* suspend/resums with a program like process
- mutliple audio track support
* support more than 2 subtitles (32 seems to be max with current tsmuxer)
* compression check with --crf 18 on 3% of the clip using selectevery and use the results to judge quality instead of bitrate
- minimize to tray option that displays job#, first pass or second pass, fps, % complete and eta
- title in taskbar displays something like AC: %, fps, eta when encoding

* = higher priority

Last edited by turbojet; 11th May 2009 at 12:43.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 20:06   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

@twazerty

I thought I'd let you know that after installing (an updated version?) of the 64 bit Java and rebooting, I just successfully used your program on a 1Gb clip from the same .MKV of "What Doesn't Kill You"..

I'm now going to, once again, try it using the full .MKV of "What Doesn't Kill You"...

**EDIT** Perhaps I spoke too soon:

The successful clip conversion did NOT include the internal subs. I've just tried again, including the internal subs and obtained the same unsuccessful results as my original attempt using the full .MKV.

If, for some reason, the internal subsubs are not acceptable to "tsMuxeR", you should make a provision for either generating an error notification or an information notice stating that the subs are unacceptable and will be excluded - and either automatically eliminate the subs from further processing or take the user back to the screen that provides for input regarding subs, so that the user can select "None" and allow the process to continue...

Last edited by setarip_old; 9th May 2009 at 20:25.
Old 10th May 2009, 05:12   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

UPDATE

Did a successful (faster option) conversion of the full MKV, by excluding the subtitles. The results were excellent (and fast) ;>}

(Apparently, the .MKVs created by "MakeMKV" do something to the subtitles that "tsMuxeR" cannot properly process)
Old 10th May 2009, 22:08   #14  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

@turbojet
Thanx for a list of requested features. I will add some of them in the next version.
The suspend/resume application is very interesting. Do you know if there is a version that also works on vista and/or windows 7? Edit: Wow it works great at vista. Thanx for the tip.

But there are also some features which I don't add:
- have a non wizard mode
- avs input (Not 100% sure)

There are also some things I would like to add but I don't know how i can implement them:
- menu background option
- minimize to tray option that displays job#, first pass or second pass, fps, % complete and eta

"- mutliple audio track support" is a feature I am going to implement for a small part. I have custom formulas to calculate the bitrate and those formulas only works for 1 audiofile. A formula is very presice. A second audio file requires a new formula. And the formules are different with different audio combinations. So if I have 5 formulas and a maximum of 2 audio tracks it requires 25 formulas. It will take 1 or 2 days to make 1 formula. It is also impossible to make formulas for VBR tracks like most DTS-HD MA tracks.

"- get language from streams" is already inside the app. But for some reason mediainfo doesn't give me the size if a m2ts is from an original BR. When muxed with tsMuxer mediainfo reads it. MKV languages are also read.

@setarip_old
I will take a look at MakeMKV.

Currently I am working on a new Audio-Video-Subtitles panel. Here is the current layout:

There is still a lot to do to make this working. Maybe you have ideas to add to this tab. Currently I do have an idea to change the order of the tracks. I think that will fit in a tab at the bottom. The language selected in the options will be your preferred language and if found it will be the first track. Maybe you have some idea's?

Last edited by twazerty; 12th May 2009 at 16:02.
Old 11th May 2009, 01:06   #15  |  Link
setarip_old

The MKVs created by "MakeMKV" include/retain the chapter information. If I drag and drop such an MKV onto "tsMuxeR" (which is used by your GUI), this chapter information appears in the "Custom chapters" section.

It would be a nice touch if you'd add this capability to your GUI.

And again, regarding BluRay format - Since you've already got the capability to save in compliant BluRay format builtin for BD25s, why not simply offer it as a CHOICE (AVCHD or BluRay) for DVD5 and DVD9 output? Once again, this capability already exists in "tsMuxeR" (which is used by your GUI)...
Old 11th May 2009, 01:25   #16  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

Copy chapter information from the source mkv files is something i already wanted. MKVextract can also extract that information so for me it is nothing more then open the txt and show it in gui. I think I will add it to the next version. Isn't that hard to do

You are absolutely right. Why not making the choice. My GUI is build/will be build so a dummy can use it without messing up some important settings. So I need to find a nice spot to change these settings. I think I will add some buttons to add AUXDATA/BDJO/CERTIFICATE/JAR/META. So you can disable 1 folder or more.

My new version will not use tsMuxer anymore for final muxing(Only for muxing the files not the complete structure). I will use my predefined index.bdmv en MovieObjects.bdmv to build the structure. These are avchd files but deank told me this ain't going to be a problem on most players. (AVCHD index.bdmv on BD25)

If I do want to use tsMuxer for making index.bdmv and MovieObjects.bdmv it can be done for only 1 specific output: No Menu, No forced subs and only 1 item. What do you think?
Old 11th May 2009, 02:08   #17  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I think I will add some buttons to add AUXDATA/BDJO/CERTIFICATE/JAR/META. So you can disable 1 folder or more.
I believe that would cause confusion for the casual user and would strongly suggest that you NOT do that. Such removals are (as I understand) related to specific standalone players. As such, knowledgable users can just as easily MANUALLY remove the offending folder(s) after your program has completed the project.

Quote:
If I do want to use tsMuxer for making index.bdmv and MovieObjects.bdmv it can be done for only 1 specific output: No Menu, No forced subs and only 1 item. What do you think?
This is beyond my knowledge. Most, if not all, I have to offer/request is from the perspective of a (very) old user, not a developer ;>}

A request (Important to me and others who were early adapters regarding HD-DVD) - Would you be able to add the ability to generate HD-DVD-compliant output as an option?

Last edited by setarip_old; 11th May 2009 at 02:14.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:13   #18  |  Link
zoner

my impressions from a test i did:

i used some old tv cap's, i pushed inside files until the bar showed 3000 avg. bitrate.
i used the 2 pass higher quality, and i must say that i couldnt find almost any difference between source and the encode.

a HUGE advantage of your app is that it does all the calculation by itself, i just put the files i want and i dont have to worry about miscalculations,
a disadvantage would be the menu which, thanks to deank, is a bit old and not comfortable, especially when dealing with various shows or movies.

2 things that i fell has to be added are External audio and Subtitle Colors which i like yellow better than white. Also support of more fonts would be great as well.

No doubt that your general idea is really good as it combines some features that untill now we could only find in different apps. keep it up
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 11:24   #19  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by twazerty View Post
@turbojet
Thanx for a list of requested features. I will add some of them in the next version.
The suspend/resume application is very interesting. Do you know if there is a version that also works on vista and/or windows 7? Edit: Wow it works great at vista. Thanx for the tip.

But there are also some features which I don't add:
- have a non wizard mode
- avs input (Not 100% sure)

There are also some things I would like to add but I don't know how i can implement them:
- menu background option

"- mutliple audio track support" is a feature I am going to implement for a small part. I have custom formulas to calculate the bitrate and those formulas only works for 1 audiofile. A formula is very presice. A second audio file requires a new formula. And the formules are different with different audio combinations. So if I have 5 formulas and a maximum of 2 audio tracks it requires 25 formulas. It will take 1 or 2 days to make 1 formula. It is also impossible to make formulas for VBR tracks like most DTS-HD MA tracks.

"- get language from streams" is already inside the app. But for some reason mediainfo doesn't give me the size if a m2ts is from an original BR. When muxed with tsMuxer mediainfo reads it. MKV languages are also read.

@setarip_old
I will take a look at MakeMKV.

Currently I am working on a new Audio-Video-Subtitles panel. Here is the current layout:

There is still a lot to do to make this working. Maybe you have ideas to add to this tab. Currently I do have an idea to change the order of the tracks. I think that will fit in a tab at the bottom. The language selected in the options will be your preferred language and if found it will be the first track. Maybe you have some idea's?

A have a suggestion. I really do want to make more formulas. But I'll need help with it. I will tell you what to do and you send me the results. When i get enough data from you I will tell how my formulas works. Actually is very easy but remember it is not the 100% solution for the m2ts overhead problem. My formulas do work and the maximum difference from the real value is maximum 22 Kbps and mostly about 4-10 Kbps difference from the real values entered in the encoder.
Even if you get half the features implemented I'd be impressed. The cosmetics like minimizing to tray is no problem if you can't, put on very low priority or something.

I marked what off my list I feel as higher priority.

Ya I can understand multi audio tracks would be a lot of work and probably not used by many. Maybe low priority on that one too?

With HD audio something you could do as a quick hack for now is lock it to BD25 only and give an enormous amount of overhead like 2-3 GB to be on the safe side. Even if the BD25 has 1 GB of space free from the output there's no reason to complain as it won't make any noticable difference but the HD audio will.

I like the new stream window, if you are going to be implementing some control of the encoder I'd suggest having an advanced video tab in the bottom part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
I believe that would cause confusion for the casual user and would strongly suggest that you NOT do that. Such removals are (as I understand) related to specific standalone players. As such, knowledgable users can just as easily MANUALLY remove the offending folder(s) after your program has completed the project.

This is beyond my knowledge. Most, if not all, I have to offer/request is from the perspective of a (very) old user, not a developer ;>}

A request (Important to me and others who were early adapters regarding HD-DVD) - Would you be able to add the ability to generate HD-DVD-compliant output as an option?
I'll refer to these folders as empty directories and the latest TSMuxer versions include these empty directories but I've also asked to get an option to delete them for the few who need it.

The empty directories are only needed for 1 maybe 2 Samsung BD players currently and in the past 2 weeks Samsung has released firmware to fix 2 of these and theirs a new firmware for that 1 in question out now too which may not care about empty directories. Eventually I think Samsung will have them all fixed there will be nonn. 3 Denons and 1 Phillips player known so far need the empty directories.

When it comes to latest software players PowerDVD can play empty directory output from DVD/HDD but only AC3/PCM audio. WinDVD has the same basic issue. With empty folders they play all audio. Arcsoft doesn't rely on empty directories or not.

Last edited by turbojet; 11th May 2009 at 12:41.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 22:56   #20  |  Link
twazerty
AVCHDCoder developer

The folder problem will also be fixed.

Can somebody send me a m2ts or mkv with all types of audio that tsMuxer support?

AAC;
AC3 / E-AC3(DD+);
Dolby True HD (for streams with AC3 core only);
DTS/ DTS-HD;
LPCM

and also different kinds of DTS-HD (CBR and VBR) files and DTS-HD MA files. It will help me a lot.

Tags
avchd, mkv